• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is my enneagram type?

ndltndltndlt

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hi there..

This being my first post, I'll get right to it.

I always type as a 1w9 sp/so, with my tritype being 153.

I'm curious if anyone else sees anything else.

That being said...

0. What's making you unsure of your type? What research have you already done to determine type?

I've taken every enneagram test that I can find and read all about functions, and as I said... It's always 1w9 sp/so. The part that doesn't make sense to me is the idea of anxiety being a driving factor in my personality type.

1. Establish a "baseline mood"--when you're at home with nothing to do, where are you at mentally and emotionally? What do you notice in yourself? (Note, this is not a mood you inhabit "frequently", but your psychological baseline).

I'm very comfortable and not at all bored, despite having nothing to do.

2. Describe yourself--
a. What's it like to be you?

For the most part, it is good to be me. I feel like I have figured out how to be happy and content. The only thing that seems to get in the way of that is... other people. I don't hate them - I just feel much better when they aren't around. I am a minimalist - I don't care for personal possessions. If you can't be happy by having your basic physical needs being met and enjoying the simple life, I don't think you will ever be happy. The simple life is what I excel at.

b. What have others said about you?

People say a few different things. People say that I'm an incredibly hard worker and that I'm a lot more funny, in a dry way, than most people would guess. They tend to call me a machine, and a lot of people don't think I have any feelings. My wife gets to see the sillier and more loving side of me, and she knows that no one else really does.

c. What do you think of yourself?

I like myself, quite a bit, but I understand that I'm very flawed. I love that I'm so disciplined and that I maintain an objective viewpoint, even on myself. I like that I don't let myself get carried away by my feelings, but I also wish that I occasionally felt things so strongly that I couldn't rationalize myself out of expressing them.

3. What are the issues you've dealt with in life? List some recurrent themes, and tell us a little about each one.

I have a tendency to give too much of myself and not take enough - and not because I care about people but because I think it's the right thing to do. I tend to assume that if you can deal with something without breaking, you should keep dealing with it. I tend to think of feelings as choices - how much can you take? A lot more than you think, so you should. That gets me into trouble.

I am extremely critical of people around me, but it pales in comparison to how critical I can be of myself. As a result, I never think I'm good enough for anything. That hamstrung my first 12 years of adulthood, despite going to college, et cetera... I just couldn't honestly figure out how to sell myself because I always dealt with imposter syndrome. Even now, I lucked into this job and I know it. I cover up a lot of lack of skill and knowledge with an incredibly strong work ethic.

4. You're not good at everything--
a. What personality traits and/or ways of being are impossible for you to adopt?

I will never be able to be a masculine and assertive lover. It just feels fake to me.

I will never be a big risk taker, because it seems like a stupid way of life.

b. What are qualities you'd like to have, but can't seem to develop?

I wish I was able to lose myself in my feelings when it counted.

I wish I was more creative. I know I'm a talented writer, but I also know that here is nothing there. It's all technique.

5. Why have you left friends and other relationships in the past and/or why have they left you?

I've never purposely left a friend.

I left my first wife because I felt myself dying inside and someone new showed me something else. I was only with her out of a sense of duty and not wanting to hurt her. I knew that five minutes after I met her, and I was with her for nine years.

6. Which types do you identify with most?

Types one and five.

a. How do you relate to these types?
b. How do you NOT relate to them?

I relate to type one for drive for perfection and the repressed anger. I don't relate to one for the supposed anxiety and need to push ideals on others - quite simply, I want others to behave but I realize the absurdity in expecting people to live up to the standard I have for myself.

I relate to type five for the cerebral connotations. I do not relate to type five for the intellectual curiousity aspect - I'm just not curious about anything other than what I am interested in.

7. Which types are least like you?

Type seven.

a. Why specifically do you not relate to these types?

I'm definitely not the enthusiast. It seems like a silly way to be. I'm content but I'm not an extroverted excited person.

b. What points (if any) DO you relate to?

None.

8. They claim enneagram type is a hidden love need. What are your attitudes toward finding love?

I feel like in order to be loved, I need to be deserving of it. I need to not give myself over to negative emotions and should strive to be the best me that I can be. Self improvement is an absolute must.

9. What is the message your superego tells you?

Consider a time when you felt poorly about yourself--this means your ego (i.e. YOU) is receiving negative feedback from your superego. Write a conversation between the two of them--what is your superego telling you about how to be? (Note: this obviously is very personal and may be better done privately. Report your findings).

My superego tells me that I can always work harder and that the thought that "I can't take any more!" is a ridiculously self-centered and emotional response. You can take a lot more than you think, and if there if something you really don't want to do, chances are it is exactly what you should do first.

For the following, rank the issues in the order they apply and give a brief description of why and how you relate.

10. Determine your ego ideal--the way you strive to be and want others to perceive you. (Note, you may be consciously aware of failing at this, and you will be hard on yourself if you do. If someone else tells you you're NOT this way, it may make you feel hurt, violated, or angry.)

Which of the following ideals resonate with you the most, and why? Rank them.
Spoiler
- to be "okay", having it together 3
- to be devoted and loyal to a person or cause 4
- to be sensitive, original, unique, and creative 9
- to be knowlegeable 2
- to be powerful, strong, unassailable. 5
- to be accomplished and successful 6
- to strive to become/behave like a good person 1
- to be a loveable person 8
- to be loving and benevolent 7

Any thoughts?

ndltndltndlt

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hmm... Rather than crowd the board with more posts, how about socionics? I test as LSI-Ti.

Personal concepts
1. What is beauty? What is love?

Beauty is subjective, for me, and it's not always physical. Pretty young girls are beautiful. Nature is beautiful. Great music is beautiful.

Love is like a name for a disease in that it encapsulates some other symptoms. It doesn't exist in and of itself.

2. What are your most important values?

Honestly, integrity, simplicity, frugality, being prompt, and working hard.

3. Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?

I am an atheist and there has never been any question. I think that religion was borne out of a lack of knowledge. As we have gained knowledge, religion has been proven to be unnecessary. I don't need a reason to be a good person.

4. Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?

War is stupid, as is most all conflict. Military power is essential, because stupidity will never be stamped out.

Power is rarely in the right hands. Those who would make the best use of it do not want it enough.

Interests

5. What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?

I have mainly had long conversations about music and nostalgia. I'm not interested in philosophical discussions - it's mainly wankery.

I'm mainly interested in music and nostalgia and fitness and comedy and myself. These are the subjects that hold my attention. Most other things bore me.

6. Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?

Diet and weightlifting. I am pretty focused on my body. It's the only one I have and I see my brain as a tool for my body, not the other way around.

7. What do you think of daily chores?

I think that it is ridiculous that most people reach adulthood and don't realize that these obligations are what holds the world together and makes the other times happen. It makes them worth it. I enjoy chores.

8. Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.

My favorite authors are Charles Bukowski and Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. I like Alfred Hitchcock, Woody Allen, the Cohen Brothers, Tarantino, and Mel Brooks.

9. What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?

Marley and Me and Outkast's "Hey Ya" have made me cry, because dogs are perfect and "Hey Ya" is an amazing song.

My best friend, my animals, and my wife have all made me smile. Good standup comedy and great music.

10. Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?

I feel at one with the environment wherever I am - whatever environment that is is where I am.

Where do I feel a sense of belonging? When I'm home, in my element.

Evaluation & Behaviour

11. What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?

People have seen my lack of assertiveness and avoidance of conflict as weaknesses. I dislike my anterior pelvic tilt and my lack of passion bothers me at times.

12. What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?

People see me as extremely good at giving bad news in a nice way, and they also see my work ethic and memory as strengths. What do I like about myself? My self-discipline and my ability to laugh at the absurdity of life.

13. In what areas of your life would you like help?

I would like to be a more physical presence and I would like to be able to assert myself more.

14. Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.

When I feel like there is no way to do what I want to do without hurting someone else, I get in a rut and I shut down.

People & Interactions

15. What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?

I like people who are like me. I admire modesty and self discipline and an off the way sense of humor. I dislike confident people who are loud and make a lot of small talk. I also dislike people who think change is shiny and impressive. I get along with most people, as long as they aren't too loud and boisterous. That doesn't mean I like most people.

16. How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?

I see myself as a lot more romantic and sexual than anyone else does. I'm not very good at expressions of romance or sexuality - it just doesn't full translate and when I try to show it, I have to force it a bit if I don't want to far undershoot the goal. I'm disconnected from my feelings, despite being madly in love with my wife in my head and always having sex on the brain.

In a partner, I want someone who is like me in a lot of ways but can bring me out of my shell - mainly by embracing the weirder parts of my personality and not expecting me to be someone I'm not.

17. If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?

I would want to make sure they understood that being different is okay. I would also want to make sure they understood that "being yourself" isn't enough - you have to be the best version of yourself you can.

18. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?

Inward, I probably lose a bit of respect for them. Outwardly, I avoid the topic.

19. Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.

I am only interested in the few people I want to be exposed to, and when I get enough of them I do not want anything to do with them. I think the whole of society is just ridiculous and should be avoided if at all possible. I think people are sorta gross and opportunistic, on the whole. A prevalent social problem is wasteful narcissism. Frugal narcissism is where it is at.

20. How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?

I don't really make new friends at this point. When they choose me and I let them do it, it's usually because they seemed to think I was smart and that makes me think they are probably worth my time because they must sorta get me. If they seem like they can detach from society a bit, I respect them a bit. I behave mainly standoffish with new acquaintances, but old friends... I just riff non stop on old in jokes and I'm never very interested in what we're doing - I'm interested in them, like I'm crushing on them.

21. How do you behave around strangers?

I try to ignore them, unless there is a forced interaction in which case I am overly polite and pretty formal. I'll hold the door for anyone.

ndltndltndlt

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
MBTI

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I may be an ISTJ, but a lot of times I am snide and cynical about the way things have always been done. That doesn't mean I'll do it any different, but I do get a kick out of the absurdity of some traditional ways.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

I yearn for perfect stability - a simple and well-lived life that doesn't introduce extra stress for me or anyone else.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

A day that I'm working hard and then on the road, on the way to a concert, is a day that I'm at my finest. I take a lot of pride in plowing through my work very efficiently and objectively and once I'm on the road on the way to do something that I can enjoy, my sense of humor comes alive and I'm silly and loving and I finally feel like I've earned doing something other than keeping my eyes focused on the task.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

When I see people with less self-discipline than me succeed on the basis of what seems to be raw intellect or talent. I feel like working hard and not giving in to my vices should be enough to ensure total success, but it isn't. When it isn't, I just feel helpless - whether it is in progress with weightlifting or with women in the past or in creative endeavors.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I think about risk-management when I make decisions. I also take others potential feelings into account more than I take my own - that is, if I can stifle how I feel about the decision then I can be totally rational and find a way to make what they want bearable for myself. This keeps things stable.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I prefer to work on all projects alone. I feel like if I work with someone else and I HAVE to collaborate, anything I could add gets watered down and is not me giving my full gift, so to speak. If I must collaborate, I like to divide the work - I'll do the boring and busy wor k that no one else wants to do and they can do the flashy and fun part. This way the important stuff is done well and the presentation of it is done by the people who can put a smiley face on it.

7) Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

My wife and I took a four day vacation to Northern Michigan this past summer, and it was absolutely perfect. Being on the open road and then walking at the beach and not caring about what we ate and smelling the fresh air just let us really open up and have nothing but pure fun for four days. We stayed away from screens and work and we couldn't stop smiling. Just us and our love and the beauty of nature and the knowledge that we had finally gotten to a point where we could do that.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?

When I want to learn something new, it is best if I just read everything I can find on the subject and follow all lines of information that I'm interested in. I get very involved and will generally spend hours at a time researching esoteric data on the subject. After a few weeks, I'm a library.

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?

I'm not as organized as people think I am, and I know this. I'm also not as big on cleaning as a lot of people think I am. To combat this, I keep clutter to a minimum and I whenever I get the thought that I really don't want to do basic housecleaning and upkeep... I know that that is when I should do it. I don't have a lot of things to get into a state of disarray. That's how I deal with not being organized as a person.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I look for information that supports the new ideas that I'm judging. I'm not really interested in how the new ideas came to be, I'm more interested in evidence that they are worth learning about.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

I find harmony by following what I believe and being myself.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I think before I speak and I definitely prefer one-on-one communication. I feel that group discussions require the members of the group to water down what they are saying so that all members of the group can follow.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I definitely prefer to know where I am jumping before leaping. I also like to limit the number of different leaps that I take, so that I can rush the same leap in the future. I think that actions speak louder than words, definitely.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

This would never happen - I don't watch TV at the time my favorite show is on and I don't have friends that call me for a night out, but if I did... I would definitely watch my show.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

When I get stressed out, I get irritated with the thing that is stressing me out. Most of the time, if I am stressed out it is because despite all of my preparation, something has blown up and there is a chance that I will take as much blame for it as anyone else - including those who didn't do the prep work.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

I dislike people who are loud and boisterous. I dislike people who do not respect schedules. I dislike people who depend on substances as a crutch. I dislike people who are into gossip. I dislike people who are not frugal. I dislike people who are too brand-loyal. I dislike people, especially men, who lack modesty. I dislike people who are too curious. I dislike people who lead with their feelings and don't behave rationally.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

With the right people, I really like talking about fitness and baseball statistics and music.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?

I only have so much attention to give, so I like to keep my life simple. At work, I only pay attention to what I am working on at the present time. At home, I either pay attention to my wife or to whatever else I might be doing at that time. Multitask? I can barely TASK. I give all of my attention to things that are in both my circles of influence and concern. I give so little attention to everything else that I almost forget it exists.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality?

My friends perceive me as extremely intelligent, hilarious, and totally non-judgemental. They also think that I'm a bit on the autism spectrum, and they are probably right. I'm not as smart as they think I am - a lot of what seems like intelligence comes from a combination of the obsession that I have with my areas of interest and my excellent memory. I'm also extremely judgmental of everyone that I am not close to. Once I finally buy in to someone, I accept them as them. Until they reach that point though, I totally know they should run their lives and it's not the way they are.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

This would involve waking up and working out and going out to eat and sitting at home and computing next to my wife. We'd probably have some brownies, since it's a weekend workout day. We'd probably fool around and take a nap and wake up and watch a movie or a couple of shows before computing a bit more and going to sleep.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think your typings are correct based off the information you've given.

I think you're a 1 because you seem very principled, and perfectionistic.

ndltndltndlt

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think your typings are correct based off the information you've given.

I think you're a 1 because you seem very principled, and perfectionistic.

I think that you're probably right. It has been interesting taking all of the different tests and seeing what they agree on and seeing how close some of this stuff is to my own personality... Then I try to type myself the hard way - the correct way - with the functions - and yep, it all makes sense.

Next step? Figuring out my anger and how to deal with that a little better and make it work for me, rather than just repressing it.

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1w9 sp/so, 153, ISTJ sound good to me too.
Good self-awareness, especially with a 9 wing which can make that harder.

As for dealing with anger (and this is just a guess based on 1's), start to notice what parts of the anger reaction is about yourself and what parts are about the situation/other person. You may find there is some repressed anger at having to follow the rules when others don't, and these events are also an "excuse" to blow off some steam that may be unrelated. Note that it's probably a little of each, making it seem justified. But the degree of reaction may be stronger because of what you've held in. Over time you may stay in touch with those parts you were repressing, allowing you to express them in real time and in more constructive ways.