• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

9 or 6?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Alright enneagram fans. Buckle up cuz it's time to determine which is stronger: my 9 or my 6?

I relate very much to both 9 and 6. The 2 in my tri type I don't relate to all that much, but I also don't relate much to 3 either and especially 4. So if anyone has any input or opinions onto my current enneagram typing, I would love to hear it!

Often I have confused aspects of 9 and Fe together. At first I thought "Maybe I'm not an Fe type and it's just my 9 showing," but I'm pretty settled on ISFJ now. So now the alternative arises: "Maybe I'm not 9-first and it's just my Fe." (Though I am pretty sure 9 is at least in my tritype!) We have to get to the bottom of this!!1/

I'm also pretty solid on my sp>so stacking, but I'll listen to arguments for anything.

Thank all friend.

:fairy:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
God damn it. I forgot to add the poll. Oh well. :cry:

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Oh hey, let's be (dis)integration buddies?

edit: When my mind is more lucid, I will try to respond to this seriously.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Pretty sure 6's are more reactive. 9's tend to remain "flatter" in situations, whereas a 6 would be more likely to freak. But maybe that's overly simplistic.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Pretty sure 6's are more reactive. 9's tend to remain "flatter" in situations, whereas a 6 would be more likely to freak. But maybe that's overly simplistic.

Dunno if it's too simplistic or not, but I have heard the same. Hmmm that's hard it depends on the situation for me. I'd say I'm more reactive than flat but I contorl it. Like if I get upset out in public my feelings and emotions are immediate but I suppress expressing them until I'm out of public so as not to draw attention or cause a scene.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dunno if it's too simplistic or not, but I have heard the same. Hmmm that's hard it depends on the situation for me. I'd say I'm more reactive than flat but I contorl it. Like if I get upset out in public my feelings and emotions are immediate but I suppress expressing them until I'm out of public so as not to draw attention or cause a scene.

I guess what I could say is that the reactive part for a 6 is an internal response. It may or may not be visible to others depending on how filtered your communication is to others. The fact that you control it - well that's what I do. I don't see 9s as being reactive as often. They tend to want things to be pleasant all the time. 6s fixation ties to fear of something bad happening. So I think 9s and 6s are pretty different.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I guess what I could say is that the reactive part for a 6 is an internal response. It may or may not be visible to others depending on how filtered your communication is to others. The fact that you control it - well that's what I do. I don't see 9s as being reactive as often. They tend to want things to be pleasant all the time. 6s fixation ties to fear of something bad happening. So I think 9s and 6s are pretty different.

Really? Interesting. I'm still have trouble differentiating it. Yes, I am afraid of bad things happening/negative consequences, and also of conflict. Inner peace is very important to me and cannot be achieved without and outward sense of harmony. If I'm remembering correctly, is 9 the integration point of 6? Would that just mean that I could be a healthy 6?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really? Interesting. I'm still have trouble differentiating it. Yes, I am afraid of bad things happening/negative consequences, and also of conflict. Inner peace is very important to me and cannot be achieved without and outward sense of harmony. If I'm remembering correctly, is 9 the integration point of 6? Would that just mean that I could be a healthy 6?

I don't know that a 6 would be much about inner peace. That sounds very 9ish.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't know that a 6 would be much about inner peace. That sounds very 9ish.

I guess I am having a hard time separating feeling a need for harmony and security. To me they are one and the same. Can't have one without the other.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Reading through this, I dunno if I can help here since my dilemma is somewhat similar to yours. An awkward little chicken and egg scenario, isn't it?

Though you do have the benefit of different centers...
At risk of this being too simplistic, can you distinguish whether it's oversensitivity to (and attempting to control against) anxiety-inducing situations or disindentification with your frustration and not feeling like you have the right to assert yourself that takes up more of your energy and focus?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Reading through this, I dunno if I can help here since my dilemma is somewhat similar to yours. An awkward little chicken and egg scenario, isn't it?

Though you do have the benefit of different centers...
At risk of this being too simplistic, can you distinguish whether it's oversensitivity to (and attempting to control against) anxiety-inducing situations or disindentification with your frustration and not feeling like you have the right to assert yourself that takes up more of your energy and focus?

Of these, if I'm interpreting them correctly, I would say I'm more focused on sensitivity to/prevention of the anxiety-inducing situations. I need to be in control enough to prevent them. And when I sense one happening, if I can, I will snub it out, fast.

Example:
Dad, sister, and I go out to eat. Dad brings up a "hot topic" (such as politics) that sister an I disagree with. I may calmly engage for a while, but sister and dad will become more heated. As I sense this, I immediately demand a subject change. We are going to stop talking about this now. I may snap at them and it will be awkward for a moment, but I don't want the stress of having a heated argument in public (especially since the two of them won't be quiet, their voices carry). That kind of situation causes me stress and hell no I'm not letting it happen if I can help it.

But that is much easier to do with my family members, who I'm more comfortable asserting myself around, than strangers. If I'm at school or work or something and two people get heated (which causes a stress-inducing situation), I'm usually just a helpless bystander who is upset but doesn't know what to do. If I have any sort of weight with the people involved, I'll try to calm them down.

Those are both people-oriented examples, so let me give an example of an anxiety-inducing situation that is not people-oriented.

One time, my first semester of college, I read the directions wrong on a take-home quiz and got something like a 65%. This caused me to go into meltdown mode. My mom spent an hour or so trying to calm me down and talk sense into me but nothing worked and she literally gave up and left me there mid-panic attack because it was hopeless. Complete shutdown. I reject every idea and refuse to take any action. I feel hopeless. The atmosphere is super heavy. I can only see the bad and not the good. And this is a situation I was not anticipating, because I thought I had followed the directions but apparently I had not.

Other not-person-related situations that have caused me anxiety are times when I have had computer troubles. It won't start properly, or some aspect of it isn't working, or some update goes wrong and I have to run system restore. Again, shutdown mode, hopeless feelings, etc.

Those mostly all relate to my reactions to stress, though. Prevention of stressful situations is important to me but not always possible.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Processing. Beep boop.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Processing. Beep boop.

Does it scare you to know that the last time I had to wait for something to process it froze and wouldn't work again until I smacked it?

Just kidding. ;)
About threatening you, not about smacking it, I actually did that

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Type 9
Fear: loss/separation
Desire: inner stability and peace of mind
Integration: 3
Disintegration: 6
Level of health I think I am as described on enneagram institute's website: 4

Why I relate to 9: peace/harmony is very important to me. I'm very mellow. I don't have a very strong sense of identity, but I strive to figure out who I am. The 9 identity issues and "numbing out."

What I don't really relate to about 9: This "spiritual world" thing.

Type 6
Fear: having no support
Desire: having security and support
Integration: 9
Disintegration: 3
Level of health I think I am as described on enneagram institute's website: 5

Why I relate to 6: Desire for security and stability. Loyalty is very important to me. Poor self-confidence problem associated with 6's basic fear. The "opposite" thing--being both strong and weak, trusting and distrusting, etc.

What I don't really relate to about 6: While I relate a lot to 6 and its security/anxiety problems it's not on my mind all the time, consciously anyway.

And while I am fairly confident about my wings, I'm open to debate if anyone disagrees. And also if anyone wants to challenge that 2w1 in my tritype. It's the one I'm least sure about (I don't identify much with 2, 3, or 4).

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Tried to brainstorm some differences but it didn't work out too well. There was an interesting post on PerC that related the 9 types to the 3 Freudian agencies. iirc 6 was classified as an element of the Superego and 9 an element of the Ego. Here's the link: The Freudian Theory of Enneagram

I think exploring the triads may prove helpful. Overviews are useful for removing extremely unlikely cases but now you'll need to deconstruct the types individually. Aside from their link up on (dis)integration 9 and 6 don't really seem that similar once broken down in these ways. This seems like a good place to start: Socionics - the16types.info - Explanation of Enneagram Triads

Regarding the triads, I'm still digging into them myself so I have no major insight to offer yet. Would be willing to discuss them with you though.