• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Confused Guy in Need of Typing

Vlad

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Hi guys!

So for the longest time, I've been unsure of my type, whether in MBTI or Socionics. Now, the Enneagram I am little more certain of, having read a few books on it. Type 4 seems to "hurt" me the most so I assume that's my type (Between feeling inferior, to wanting to be "authentic", to indulging in my negative emotions etc,...)

Now truth be told, Socionics seems more interesting to me compared to MBTI, since it's a more extended approach to Jungian typology, but for the record, in MBTI I often scored either INFP (Most often) , INTP and ISFP, while in Socionics it was either EII (most often), IEI, SEI, and ILI...

Now I'm not going to pretend like I understand more about IM/Cognitive Functions than I really do, so I'll just write some stuff about myself to give you guys a better idea.

Warning: Highly unreadable :D

First of, I've often been told countless times that I "have my head in the clouds" by my friends, my family and my current driving instructor (poor guy...) Frankly, I suspect undiagnosed ADD here, but it's really this sense of being detached from the physical world. As though nothing truly matters, and I'm free of all worldly affairs and their consequences (delusional basically). This especially affects my driving lessons where, no matter how hard I try, I can't fully fathom the idea that I'm not the only one occupying the road at all times.

sigh...

Generally speaking I'm very sensitive to criticism, especially concerning "not doing anything with myself!", "not being realistic with my goals!", or "not taking care of s**t in the real world!" Now, I do feel guilty about those statements made against me, and I am trying to get out of the rut (Just started taking a course in graphic design. Yay...) But in general, I have this problem of getting motivated to do things that are either dull, mundane, steeped in bureaucracy or routine-like (Although routines definitely help me from becoming totally useless... and keep me fit... :D) Or if my heart is not into it (As though something needs to align with this vague "ideal" I have inside my head or it's not worth doing at all.)

I tend to procrastinate often (see paragraph above) due to some weird perfectionist attitude I have, where, unless I'm 200% certain of my abilities to tackle something and get it right, I'd rather not, to avoid feeling like a failure afterwards. Also, I like to see myself as "creative", despite not having much to show besides unfinished stories (short and novel-length), unfinished poetry, unfinished-- [Okay, I think you got it by now]. Mostly it's because I'm uncertain of my abilities to finish what I start, so I'd rather not risk doing anything at all. To make matters worse, I'm hyper-aware of time, in the sense that it's slipping by me no matter what I do to try using it "wisely" (if I'm not mistaken, that's Ni messing with me...)

What else?

I tend to be very caring of people, but only those I see as worthy of my consideration: People who's values I hold close to mine, people I can sympathize with, or people that don't put on an act (I Especially despise people who are fake i.e., pretending to be happy when they're not, being too sure of themselves, etc,...) And, again, I'm usually very kind, understanding and sympathetic of such people (or so I think...) However, people that don't fit any of these categories? Wooh boy, I can be the coldest, most indifferent, insensitive asshole on the face of this planet. More often than not, however, my hatred is not warranted, and I feel incredibly bad for acting the way I did. So usually I'd avoid the person as much as possible (both to get away from him/her/them or to avoid hurting him further or escalating the fight.)

Also, fights and arguments can--and often do--get me depressed and teary-eyed (as an adult male, I not too ashamed to admit that, for some reason :dry:)

Speaking of which, some kind of "turnaround" happens in social situations. I'm often quite reserved, usually restrain myself, and generally a low-profile kind of guy (especially at work) However, when the, ummm, emotional atmosphere (?) of the place is warm, friendly and, for a lack of a better term "loosened up" I can get really fired up, and start acting really weird in front of others, from acting high on LSD, to laughing hysterically to myself while others watch with wide eyes, to singing to myself (in front of others), to saying random, weird stuff for weird's sake (This is especially evident with my friends, making me the "Random guy"/"Comic Relief" of the group. I'm mostly okay with it since I kinda' like the oddness that I provide to the gang, but also makes me feel like my friends don't really care about me or understand me all that much (Though when you're acting like a complete dumb-ass, who would?)

Anything else?

I guess all the stuff that stereotypically relates to NF types: interest in the humanities/social sciences, philosophy (Less than my pretentious a** would want to admit), surreal/dark/disturbing/depressing music, art, movies...

Oh, and I'm incredibly bad with details! Names, dates, important occasions, you name it! Completely horrible. Heck, it takes me a hundred tries before I remember someone's name, or even what we talked about a few minutes earlier! So yeah, there's that...

What else? Well, nothing really at the top of my head... Again, in Socionics I've been diagnosed either EII (That's what I get on the tests most often, though don't relate to the "self-sacrificing "martyr" for the sake of others" part...), IEI (the descriptions fit me the most I think), SEI (because I doubt my intuitiveness :tongue10:) and ILI (the descriptions fits me as well, but... Extroverted Thinking as an Creative/Auxiliary function? Ahh... no... Te bad! Te necessary evil... BUT BAAADDDDDD!!!!)

Then again, I really don't see myself as a major Fe user (IEI) or finding it all that important really...

Again, the only thing I'm 'almost' sure about is my Enna-type being a 4 with a strong 5 wing (I see plenty of characteristics of 5's in me, from the eccentric behavior, to isolating from others, but I doubt it's my core type. And I'm not nearly as much of a thinker/analytical as a type 5. The Four descriptions, on the other hand, genuinely hurt when I read about the type's "flaws".

Ummm, yeah... guess that's it.... Lot's of self-indulgent rambling with little to no substance, and bordering on being unreadable :thumbup:... Ehh, whatever. Hope you guys can help me with my type (Both MBTI and Socionics type appreciated.)

Thanks! :)

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know you wanted socionics, but I know mbti best. You are so ISFP in mbti, especially when you called Te evil. And you sound pretty intuitive to me. I'm not sure if intutive vs sensing is different in socionics though.

Edit: I meant to say infp.

Last edited:

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Definitely IxFP, leaning towards INFP (a sense of detachment from the physical world isn't really a Se-aux thing).
Socionics: EII or IEI.

Vlad

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Thanks guys! I definitely get INFP most often on MBTI, and I definitely fancy myself more a Fi user than a Fe one (Although the INFP descriptions sometimes sound too, uhh, romanticized, maybe?)

Still, I keep wondering why I relate more to IEI's descriptions, who are supposed to resemble INFJs in MBTI (same functions and all...), and less to EII's who are similar to INFPs function wise?

Probably denial...

Oh well! :D

melpomene

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so
I could theoretically see ISFP, but you seem to use Ne and not Se. INFP.

And don't worry if your socionics type doesn't translate to MBTI all that well - I've heard of a lot of cases where people get completely different MBTI and socionics results.

Vlad

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Okay, so you're all saying I'm most likely an INFP? I can live with that :alttongue:

I'll probably have to read up more on Socionics to see whether I'm really an EII or an IEI (And being Russian kinda' helps with some of the more badly-translated artic--oh, who am I kidding?! My Russian su*ks!)

...anyway, thanks guys! I'll see you around :bye:

[Smugly changes profile to INFP type while no one's looking]