• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

HELP ME (MBTI + Enneagram)

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd really like to get help in figuring out my MBTI and Enneagram type, plus tritype and instincts. Some types resonate more with me than others, but I'd like to get another perspective. I'm generally having problems with this, since my personality seems to change one day to the next, parts of me contradict one another and different people view me entirely differently. It's hard for me to distinguish how I behave in certain situations and how I behave normally.

Please don’t think I’m a horrible person, I’ve mostly been focusing on the negative aspects on my personality here, they are easier for me to talk about. Believe me, I do have some positive qualities. I'm not an expert in Enneagram though, so if I'm wrong about any of those, please tell me. Please excuse my awkward writing, I wrote this in one setting and my English sucks.

1: You could say I'm quite bossy, especially when it comes to work-related stuff (although I'll feel ashamed for it later on). I'd rather take control of something, than have someone else do it wrongly or incompletely. I'm open to other's point of views and suggestions, but if those can't convince me, I'll keep to my first instinct. Through this I've learned to trust my skills, I guess. Although I'm really indecisive when it comes to personal stuff, once I've made up my mind, I can be quite stubborn about it. Failing at something really drags me down and makes me feel worthless, so I try to avoid this. I'm really sensitive to criticism and always take it to heart, because I feel like people are criticising me as a person, and not my work. Despite that, I'm a very critical person myself and if something doesn't make sense to me (both logically or ethically) I'll point it out.
Doubt: I have around zero self-discipline and I'm really, really lazy. I'll avoid doing stuff until the last minute and then try to do it flawlessly, which doesn't always work obviously.

2: My desire for recognition and acknowledgement is very strong, I feel like what I'm doing is worthless until someone tells me otherwise. If people don't like me, how can I be sure I'm a likeable person at all? I want to feel like I'm playing an important role in another person's life and I'm valuable to them, and not exchangeable. My worth is very dependant on other's opinions and sometimes I even feel like I don’t have a real personality, since I always adjust to other people – it sucks. It's hard for me to be myself in intimate relationships, which leads me to not really having any close friends. I hold back, since I'm afraid I'll seem ridiculous. I really indentify with Palmer's sp 2, like getting very impatient when having to wait for something, because I'm scared there won't be enough left for me once I get there.
Doubt: I often fail at getting other people to like me, since I'm an introverted person who's very private and keeps to herself. I also suck at comforting other people or giving advice, and usually don’t know how to react when someone starts crying. More importanty, I do feel like I can take care of myself and don't want to depend on other people to provide everything for me.

3: When it comes to anything other than sports (I suck at sports and won’t even try) I’ll always want to be the best. I’m happy for other people if they’re doing good, but I always strife to be better than average – which doesn’t excatly go hand in hand with my laziness. I guess I just learned that I can achieve good results without having to put much work into it. I usually evaluate my performance by comparing it to the performace of other people.
Doubt: I'm not coming from a success and result driven family, I wasn't raised to think that my value is defined trough my achievements and hard work. I have really, really low self-esteem and I'm not what you'd call and efficient person

4: I'm always feeling like people are avoiding and abandoning me, which is also one of my greatest fears. I'm a quite melancholic person, who experiences her emotions quite deeply and expresses them usually. As a teenager, I often envied other people and felt like I deserved more than I've got, like I was treated unfairly, but that's a weakness that I'm currently overcoming (in realizing that we all have our own battles and no one's better off actually). I feel drawn towards mystical stuff and art that expresses yearning and desire. I really relate to this whole 'pure happiness is rather hollow and melancholy is desirable' thing. Like the social 4, I worry way too much about what other people think of me in social situations. Socially I’m just not confident. I am self-conscious and anxious that I'll say something stupid and make an idiot out of myself, or that I'm just not good enough for other people.
Doubt: I express my emotions not because I want to seem like an emotional and deep person, but because I feel like I'll go crazy if I don't. I'll also prefer going with the flow than standing out through my individuality. Situations that are full of intensity (sex, birth, death, stuff like that) scare me a lot.

5: I'm very serious when it comes to my privacy, not even the people closest to me know what stuff is going on in my head and what I'm thinking about. When I'm with people who have an enormous temperament, I often feel like my privacy is invaded and have to go somewhere else. I'm really into the mechanics behind something, as a child for example I was never interested into magic tricks itself, but rather how the magician was able to pull the trick off. It's fun to think about everything that has to happen for something to work.
Doubt: Again, I'm not a self-controlled person. Sometimes I'm even quite dramatic (like exaggerating the amount of stress I'm in).

6: My fear is very generalized. I’m scared of new situations, meeting new people and mostly of fear itself. My fear is located right below my chest and I can feel it every time I'm feeling tense. I’d say my temperament is generally very nervous and self-conscious. I'm questioning everything I do, and keep on thinking about it, which often leads me to not acting at all. As a child I was so afraid of getting punished and getting on the bad side of people in power, which got less the older I got. Authorities still scare me though, but I find it easier to distinguish what will get me into trouble and what I can get away with. I guess I often act in a way that will make me appear harmless, like agreeing with people rather than disagreeing with them or acting like I have less knowledge than I do. If I can get people to like me, I won't have to be afraid of them. I’ve recently realized that I view most of people’s behaviour as an expression of their loyalties to things or people. Oh, and I can't deal with people who are blind optimists and go through their life seeing everything through rose-colored glasses.
Doubt: I don't feel like whole 'being devoted to something bigger than oneself' thing, being concerned with duty and rooting for the underdogs and stuff like that.

I don't have a lot to say about 8 and 7, but I'll go into them if anyone wants me to.

9: Since I was a child, I've always felt overlooked by others. I guess that it's been hard for me to know what I want, what's important to me and who I am since then. Adjusting to other people's needs comes natural to me and feels like the right thing do to, which is also why I will only express my views and needs subtly. If I'm afraid that something I'll do will endanger my relationship with someone, I probably won't do it. Comfort and harmony has always been priorities of mine, trying to be comfortable (physically, mentally and emotionally) often leads me to neglecting stuff or not doing it at all. Harmony is so important to me, that I won't get involved with people until I'm sure they'll like me and will agree with people, although I have a different opinion. I'm very indecisive, even in every-day situations. For example, I'll think about which kind of movie to watch for so long, that I end up not watching anything at all. Often I feel like I'm stuck in the position I am in now, it's hard for me to finish stuff and leave it behind me, but it's hard for me to figure out why.
Doubt: I don't have any problems with saying 'no' when others ask me for something I can't do / don't feel like doing. See anger.

Anger (I feel the need to adress this, haha): You could say I express my anger (like sadness and happiness usually) openly. People close to me tell me I get very stubborn and undiplomatic when I do, like slaming doors and trying to escape the situation. I'm never acting passive-agressive though, I always feel the need to make other people know how they make me feel. I also don't feel like I'm showing weakness like a 1 may feel like, it's just something that everyone goes through and I don't have to be ashamed of that.

I might go more into Fear and Shame later on.

I’d really, really like to know my MBTI type based on functions, but don’t know where to start. The questionnaires don’t really appeal to me and I don’t have enough confidence in my knowledge about the functions to just start writing about them. I'm also reluctant to describe images or stuff like that, because I can always see the various ways in which I could describe a picture and can never be sure what my own impression was and what wasn't. All I know is that I’m an introvert and it’ll be very hard to convince me otherwise, haha.

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Took two functions test, and here are the results, if anyone's interested. I always find Keys2Cognition very dry and don't understand everything, and smiliarminds seems less than professional (at least I understand what they're trying to say), but what can you do.

Keys2Cognition: Fe (44,8) > Ne (40,7) > Si (39,5) > Ni (35,2) > Fi (29,6) > Se (22,6) > Ti (22,5) > Te (4,9)

smilarminds: Ni = Fe (80) > Si (75) > Ti (55) > Te (50) > Ne (45) > Fi (25) > Se (0)

This doesn't make things easier.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You definitely seem Fe-like. I can't tell if you're sensing you intuitive be what you wrote.

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You definitely seem Fe-like. I can't tell if you're sensing you intuitive be what you wrote.
I can see Fe, but I'm lost when it comes to Ni or Si, although I doubt I have inferior Ne. Maybe I should answer some more questions?

2 6 9 some order
Any idea about instincts? I've been thinking sp/so, but I'm not sure.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=25056]Null[/MENTION] Do you think your life would be better if you had more Ne or Se?

Do you feel upset when you don't have control over your physical environment or the unknown? Both can have unreasonable fears, but it depends on your reason for the fear.

So si doms trust facts and details from their environment, and ni doms do not. Si doms do not trust things they haven't experienced before. Ni doms do not trust their psychical environment, but trust their visions of the future.

Does this help?

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you think your life would be better if you had more Ne or Se?
While playing Fran Bow earlier this day I actually thought that I would be much better at those games if I used more Ne, with having to combine and use stuff and all that, haha. But seriously, I'm not sure. My life would probably be easier if I could access my Fi or Te better, but I do feel like I use Ni, Si and Ne to a good extent, and I don't exactly miss Se.

Do you feel upset when you don't have control over your physical environment or the unknown? Both can have unreasonable fears, but it depends on your reason for the fear.
I feel overwhelmed when put into unknown situations, not knowing what will happen. I don't exactly like routine and all this stuff, but I prefer it, if it means not getting into situations where I don't know what is expected of me.
I'm not focused on my physical environment enough to worry about that much.

So si doms trust facts and details from their environment, and ni doms do not. Si doms do not trust things they haven't experienced before. Ni doms do not trust their psychical environment, but trust their visions of the future.
I mostly live in my own head and don't focus on my environment too much. It's hard for me to get into physical tasks, since I often miss things and feel like I have to take in too much information at once. Being a pessimist I often have one idea in my head of how things could go, only paying attention to the worst way it could work out. Not sure how much that's connected to Ni, though.

I'm such an idiot for asking this, but how much do Si and actually remembering data (birthdays, facts, numbers, whatever) have in common? Is it necessary for an ISFJ to be able to remember a lot of stuff, to work result-oriented and be responsible? Maybe I've just read too much Keirsey, but I feel so uncomfortable to type as ISFJ because I'm none of this stuff.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I can see Fe, but I'm lost when it comes to Ni or Si, although I doubt I have inferior Ne. Maybe I should answer some more questions?

Any idea about instincts? I've been thinking sp/so, but I'm not sure.

When it comes to the CFs, It is entirely possible to be a reserved extrovert. It has less to do with sociability and more to do with attention and preferred processing style. As such, I would not be quick to dismiss ESFJ as a genuine possibility for you. Especially if you relate to Ne and Si in relatively equal measure.

First instinct is "a weakness disguised as a strength". Second is the one you are confident in being able to satisfy. Third is the one whose satisfaction has little bearing on your state of mind.

Self-pres relates to your ability to provide for yourself in the physical/material sense as it relates to feeling secure. Frequently coincides with a conscious focus in staying safe or accumulating comforts. Preference is thought to develop from experiencing a lack of security or destitution during some key developmental phase.

Sexual has little if nothing to do with actual sex. It has to do with developing strong connections, attachments, intensity, etc, regardless of whether the object is a person or concept. Sometimes manifests as intrusiveness or "next thing" thrill seeking. Preference is thought to develop from deficits in "love" (a contextually dense word so the quotation marks are deliberate) or unstable bonding patterns during some key developmental phase.

Social relates to feeling like one belongs in a larger, typically group, context. This can manifest as awareness or adherence to hierarchy, a focus on appeasing or being entertaining, or the deliberate development of gravitas and authority to increase one's social capital. Preference is thought to develop from exclusion and/or ostracism in some key developmental phase.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
I saw introversion:

I mostly live in my own head and don't focus on my environment too much. It's hard for me to get into physical tasks, since I often miss things and feel like I have to take in too much information at once. Being a pessimist I often have one idea in my head of how things could go, only paying attention to the worst way it could work out. Not sure how much that's connected to Ni, though.

I saw Ne:

I feel overwhelmed when put into unknown situations, not knowing what will happen.

And I also saw Fe:

You could say I express my anger (like sadness and happiness usually) openly. I always feel the need to make other people know how they make me feel.

I think you are ISFJ.

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When it comes to the CFs, It is entirely possible to be a reserved extrovert. It has less to do with sociability and more to do with attention and preferred processing style. As such, I would not be quick to dismiss ESFJ as a genuine possibility for you.
Not sure. I feel so insecure in social situations, they take much out of me and expect a lot of me. I withdraw in my head so much, typing as an extravert would just feel wrong (ha, might use my Fi after all). I get where you're coming from, though.

Self-pres relates to your ability to provide for yourself in the physical/material sense as it relates to feeling secure. Frequently coincides with a conscious focus in staying safe or accumulating comforts. Preference is thought to develop from experiencing a lack of security or destitution during some key developmental stage.
Yep, definitely sp-first.

Second is the one you are confident in being able to satisfy. Third is the one whose satisfaction has little bearing on your state of mind.
Although neither so nor sx resonates with me that much, I definitely do not feel 'confident in being able to satisfy' all this sx-stuff, everything that's really intense or intimate just isn't for me. Might stay with sp/so for now.

[MENTION=19552]Destiny[/MENTION] What about Si?

Destiny

A wannabe dog
[MENTION=19552]Destiny[/MENTION] What about Si?

If lets say you have a dream in life, and suddenly there is this huge opportunity that fall into your lap, but you have to move to a new place and abandon all your family/friends/your current surroundings forever and never to return here again, would you still pursue this dream?

Having Si in dominant position would make one afraid of pursuing new opportunities. They have this tendency to analyze everything in terms of negative possibilities. What if I end up failing? What if I didn't succeed? What if I end up losing everything?

For example, I recently watched this movie, the lead character of this movie is an ENFP, she is actually the manager/co-owner of a company and she is earning a lot of money, but she ended up leaving her job and end up applying for a lowly paid clerk position in another company because she wanted to pursue her dreams (her dream is a guy that she has crushed on for 10 years). Her crush actually worked in that company, and this is why she left a highly paid job to join his company as a small clerk, she wanted to get close to him and become his lover. :D And then her best friend, who is an Si dom, asked her this question, "But what if you end up failing?" And the ENFP replied, "If I succeed, then good for me. But if I fail, then it's my destiny."

If an Si dom is in this situation, they wouldn't even take this risk in the first place. An Si dom in this situation would think to themselves, "If I quit my job and go for that lowly paid clerk position just to pursue a guy, there is actually this high risk that I might end up failing, what if this entire venture wasn't successful? Not only am I unable to be with the guy I love, but I would also end up losing money working in a lowly paid clerk position. Why would I be foolish enough to do this?" :newwink:

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Although neither so nor sx resonates with me that much, I definitely do not feel 'confident in being able to satisfy' all this sx-stuff, everything that's really intense or intimate just isn't for me. Might stay with sp/so for now.

Glad it was helpful. I am on mobile so forgive any wonky typos and formatting.

The middle slot can be tricky because it generally isn't a conscious focus until something has happened to put it in jeopardy but even when that's the case, the amount of anxiety about seeing it breakdown is generally less than if the first instinct started to. Because of this "assurance", it can easily be taken for granted.

Third is harder to explain. I can only think of examples but struggle to translate them into general principles. I hope the specificity doesn't ruin it.

For self-pres last, I imagine a very successful entrepreneur who spends so much time on managing companies and assets that health and comfort are completely neglected in the process. They just don't have time to focus on it. Have you seen the movie Amadeus? I think Mozart is a good example of this tendency to neglect stability for passion.

Social last puts me in mind of people who are ignorant of, or possibly enjoy, flaunting convention and sometimes get in trouble because of it. Socrates and his "tainting of Athenian youth" with philosophy and the defense in Apology immediately comes to mind.

Sexual last is hardest for me to provide an unbiased example for likely because it's the opposite of how I function. I associate it with a "constant search for completeness" so someone sx last puts me in mind of Siddhartha's journey and some general Buddhist tenets. Less focus on seeking out Holy Grails and fixations of the moment and more interest in attaining one's wholeness from within. Yeah, this one is really difficult.

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=19552]Destiny[/MENTION] I definitely would. Gonna start studying political economics next year, and if I got the chance to study abroad in a country where I knew the language or would have enough support to learn it, I'd definitely take the opportunity, even if it meant I had to attend a university away from my hometown. I'm not a person who's attached to people or places, so besides from missing my family from time to time, nothing would hold me here. But what do you mean with 'never to return here again'? I could visit them, right? Otherwise, hell no.

This tendency to always see the most negative outcomes is something I definitely have a problem with. I really understand the thought train of your Si-dom in the second situtation, that's probably exactly what I would think, although there would be much more doubt involved. I'd be so worried about not performing well on my new job or not getting along with my coworkers, or just not feeling comfortable in the new environment. Probably wouldn't take that job, especially not for some guy, haha.
[MENTION=23915]Sinclair[/MENTION] You're all really helpful, thanks by the way! From your description I'm definitely not so or sp last, the one that's sp-last kinda sounds like my nightmare.
Hm, might actually be sx-last. I imagine a sx first would actively seek out intimate and deep relationships, while I keep people at a distance and am not concerned with any of that. Someone I once talked to that identified as sx first was really into writing poetry, and he told me that he'd get really passionate and into his writing, letting the words flow and forgetting what's happening around him. I actually have a problem with finding anything I'm passionate about, so that might be what it's like to be sx last.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm glad my examples didn't flop too badly. You might find this wordpress blog interesting: https://oceanmoonshine9.wordpress.com/nine-stacks/

It's the only place I've found that neatly explains how the instincts can manifest differently in each of the enneatypes.

How much of the sp/so 9 description do you relate to?

Destiny

A wannabe dog
[MENTION=19552]Destiny[/MENTION] But what do you mean with 'never to return here again'? I could visit them, right? Otherwise, hell no.

Means that it's permanent, once you leave there you won't be allowed to come back anymore. Sometimes, in order to pursue our dreams in life, we have to end up making some sacrifices, and sometimes, this sacrifices involves things that are important to us, such as we have to end up falling out or cutting ties with our family and friends in order to pursue our dreams in life. Sometimes, the people around us are unhealthy for us, they will try to discourage us to pursue our dreams in life. And the only way for us to pursue our dreams is to cut off all ties with them, even if they are supposed to be our family. And if you find yourself missing the feeling of having a family, you can always find new people to establish a family with after settling down in your new country, family doesn't always have to be blood-related, family are people who care for us, family are people who encourage us toward our dreams and goals in life.

This tendency to always see the most negative outcomes is something I definitely have a problem with. I really understand the thought train of your Si-dom in the second situtation, that's probably exactly what I would think, although there would be much more doubt involved. I'd be so worried about not performing well on my new job or not getting along with my coworkers, or just not feeling comfortable in the new environment. Probably wouldn't take that job, especially not for some guy, haha.

I think Si dom seems right for you. The fear of taking risk overpowers everything else.

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sometimes, the people around us are unhealthy for us, they will try to discourage us to pursue our dreams in life. And the only way for us to pursue our dreams is to cut off all ties with them, even if they are supposed to be our family.
My family is very healthy for me though, there are no people I'm closer to than them. I think there are very few people who would leave a healthy, loving family for a job opportunity, if they could never see them again. That's just mental.

And if you find yourself missing the feeling of having a family, you can always find new people to establish a family with after settling down in your new country, family doesn't always have to be blood-related, family are people who care for us, family are people who encourage us toward our dreams and goals in life.
I don't have these kind of people in my life, except for my blood-related family. I can't build close relationships like that to other people, even my closest friends.

I think Si dom seems right for you. The fear of taking risk overpowers everything else.
Thank you so much for your insight! :hug: I'm really considering ISFJ now, seems like the most realistic option. I mentioned this before, but if I type as ISFJ I'm nervous that people will expect me to be that SJ stereotype, like being organized, being able to remember a lot (like facts and birthdays) or being really reliable and dutiful, because I'm none of this stuff. Damn you Keirsey.

[MENTION=23915]Sinclair[/MENTION] That website is awesome!
While they do desire attention and recognition, with the sexual instinct last in the stacking, they seldom actively pursue it. They feel as though it’s just not worth it. This subtype is usually very deliberate and methodical in their speech. They sometimes get frustrated because they don’t feel that they can say what they really want to say. They are therefore often very short and concise with their communication, not wanting to provoke any confrontation. But when given a chance and the time to express themselves, they can be quite talkative. While self-pres needs are important to this type, the fact that they are essentially Nines, sometimes causes them to put the needs of others before their own.
I resonate with this part a lot. The rest not so much, because I feel like I can be assertive if the situation calls for it. I also don't distract myself with work when I'm stressed, in fact I have to pay attention that I don't start pitying myself blindly. But the rest is quite accurate.

Love this part in the sx/so stacking of Type 9, describes me perfectly.
With the social instinct last in the stacking, there can be an on/off quality when it comes to relating and these Nines are often somewhat moodier than the other subtypes. As with the self-pres/sexual, this subtype might not engage socially with the same smoothness as other subtypes of Nine. They seem to go towards others in a staccato fashion – they connect in bursts, then withdraw.

The sp/so 2 description really put me off.
This subtype is warm, friendly and very personable. Their focus is usually on their home and family. They give to others in acts of kindness – gifts, thoughtful cards, remembering special days. They are likely to be there physically to help, cook, lend a hand, fix something. On the down side, they will resent that they are the ones that do all the work. It would be nice if someone helped them out once in a while. They develop a feeling of entitlement, feeling that it’s their turn to be catered to for a while, since they have done so much.
That's like the exact opposite of me. I don't care about taking care of other people. Sure, I don't want them to be sad, but it's not my responsibility to fulfill their every need. Actually none of the 2 subtypes sound like me at all. Same with the sp/so 6, getting things done and caring about duty just isn't what I do, haha. The fact that I can't get things done and leave them behind to move on is actually quite a huge issue in my life.

They can appear like enneatype One in their ability to get things done, their organizational style, their sense of duty, and their loyalty. This type is usually very independent and proactive when it comes to the details of life. They get things done before they become a problem.

Read through all of the stackings, and the only other stackings I can identify with besides 9 are sp/so 4 and 5, especially with the part where they talk about holding back in relationships, feeling that other people's damands drain their energy or 'romanticizing intimacy without actually pursuing real relationships'. I do think of myself as quite the practical person, so it's nice that it's a common thing in a lot of the sp/so types.