• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI help - ISFP?

joymac

I'm copying and pasting an unsanctioned survey from personality cafe. Shame :sorry:

So I've been reading a lot about the cognitive functions and I THINK I've finally figured out my type. I just want a little guidance and hopefully confirmation that I'm right. Thanks, all!

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
Possible depression and anxiety. I’m a woman in my mid-20s.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
I can't post links! It was a shot of a canoe in the water in front of a castle or fort in Portugal.
Lovely composition, the colors are really balanced, perfect weather, now I’m dying to go to Portugal, I could really go for a canoe ride, actually I’d rather go standup paddleboarding.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
Definitely disappointment/fear that we’re not going to make it to the show. I think I’d feel pretty useless in that situation since I know nothing about cars. I’m very calm in stressful situations so I probably wouldn’t say a whole lot and just try to help in any way I could. If the people I’m with are constantly complaining, I’d probably get frustrated with them pretty quickly - I don’t like complaining.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
I’d be fine with going. I don’t necessarily like parties, but I like socializing. To be honest, I would probably start out the night telling myself I’m not going to drink but once I see everyone else having fun and being able to loosen up (with or without alcohol), I’d probably get a little buzzed.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
Totally depends on what the friend said. If it’s something terribly offensive, like racism or something, I’d for sure call him out and probably call him all kinds of names in my head. I simply wouldn’t be friends with someone who I strongly disagree with on issues like that. Still, my initial reaction wouldn’t be angry, it would probably be “lol wut.” But if it’s just like, “I don’t like that band as much as you guys do,” that’s cool. I might argue with him if I really feel strongly, but I can argue with someone and still like them. I don’t get mad when people disagree with me.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
Again, it depends. Some things just aren’t big deals. I don’t usually worry about what other people are doing unless they’re hurting someone or generally making life difficult.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
Kindness, charity, modesty, acceptance, beauty (not necessarily my physical beauty). I’m sure a lot of my values were passed down from my family. My parents and grandparents are great, charitable, accepting people. I don’t see any way to change these values, they’re pretty ingrained in me. However, the aforementioned depression and anxiety have made some of them less of a priority.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
a) I think I’m extremely accommodating, to a fault. I find myself getting steamrolled by stronger personalities who aren’t necessarily what I would consider nice. b) I like being considerate and accommodating (and I do not like people who aren’t), but I do wish I were more assertive. I wish I were less shy and more open.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
I have strong gut feelings when I meet anyone, and I’m almost never wrong. My friends trust my opinions on people they’re dating more than they trust their own. I can read red flags a mile away.
9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
a) Yoga! I like a lot of physical activities. Indoor rock climbing is another one. I usually like indoor activities, but that might just be because I live in an extremely hot place. I like hiking, but I rarely get the opportunity without sweating to death. I bake for a living, and when I’m baking things I actually want to bake, that can sometimes give me energy. b) I’m usually not baking things I want to bake, which I find draining. I find both socializing and being alone energizing and draining - this has always confused me a little. I consider myself an introvert with extrovert tendencies.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
Literally everything. I’ve been called distant, hard to get to know. I’ve lost relationships because of it. I don’t want to bother anyone with my problems and I don’t want to seem weak. I spend half my life listening to my friends’ problems, and I don’t mind, I like helping people, but sometimes I wish I could open up and let someone else help me for a change. I even found this survey really difficult to finish, I just don’t like talking about myself.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISFx

Your interpretation of the flickr image seemed more S. I can't tell apart the Fe and Fi. You seem aware of how other people and your surroundings affect you and don't like it when people drain you out by complaining which seems Fe. But you want to be more open about yourself and find it a problem which seems Fi. I'm actually thinking ISFJ is more likely but ISFP is also possible in my opinion.

c-jade

daisies and thunderstorms
MBTI Type
ENFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree that I'm seeing more Fe, because your descriptions of your interactions with others sound a lot like how I would answer, and I'm a strong Fe-user. How would you handle making a decision for yourself that could possibly end up hurting someone else (not physically, more emotionally or some other way)?

Can you describe yourself at a museum or a theme park, somewhere with a lot of things going on? What are you thinking in response to what you're seeing?

joymac

Thank you both! I'm so torn between the two. I find myself leaning toward ISFP, but it might be because of the stereotypes, which I know we're supposed to pretty much ignore. I just don't consider myself very traditional, or completely selfless. I actually went to school for social work (super common among ISFJs) and worked with the homeless and HATED it. The job, not the homeless. I loved them. So I gave up and became a baker.
[MENTION=26325]c-jade[/MENTION]
1) I'm kind of in this situation right now. I work with a girl who I consider to be terrible at her job. She's rude to me, slow, a total time and money waster. Ugh she's terrible. I would be happier and less stressed if she didn't work there. But I haven't said anything to my boss. I can't hold a grudge to save my life. She's rude to me one second, and then we're laughing the next and I feel bad about thinking she's terrible and wanting her to be fired. I don't want to be responsible for her losing income and not being able to take care of herself. I also just hate conflict in every way, so that's another reason I'm hesitant. It's not completely selfless.
2) I like wandering around for about five minutes and then making a beeline for whatever ride I want to go on. I do not like standing around trying to make decisions. When I go places with my mom (I think she's a VERY traditional ISFJ), she likes to stand in one spot and look at the map for ten minutes trying to figure out what everyone wants to do. I get so antsy and impatient. I don't want to stand around in the hot sun talking, I just want to do it. I'm usually not very involved in those conversations, I'm probably looking around at the rides, figuring out what I want to eat, and people watching.
Also I'm not sure if this is relevant, but at museums, I like to read every plaque and look at every painting. I don't like missing ANYTHING. I was dating a guy a few years ago and we went to the Met one day. He kept rushing me through rooms that he wasn't fond of and taking me straight to the paintings he liked or could wax on about for an hour. Finally I said "we're missing so much stuff!" He said, "some stuff isn't worth looking at," and my jaw dropped as I said, "EVERYTHING is worth looking at once." We didn't last much longer.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, sorry for the length! Thank you so much if you read all that.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:) I don't see anything that goes against ISFP, really. Regarding people seeing Fe in you, are you at all familiar with enneagram? Having a Social (so-) instinct, especially if primary, can really give FP's more of an Fe-ish vibe.

How would you say you are similar and different from your ISFJ mother? I internally laughed at your comment re. your mother spending 10 minutes looking at a map and you just getting impatient

(ha! I am pretty impatient myself, I just want to start DOING things. Though, differing from you, this extends to museums and I tend to be more like the guy you described, haha)

joymac

[MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] Thank you! I've taken an enneagram test twice. The first time I got 2, the second time, 9. I don't remember the wings. I think I identified with both, but more so 9. I haven't read anything about instincts, and it seems to be kind of hard to find good info about them. I'll poke around on the enneagram forum.

My mom and I are both pretty caring and empathetic. I majored in social work because she sort of pushed me into it - for whatever reason, her dad didn't think social work was a practical choice for her and pushed her into majoring in business. So neither of us ended up being social workers, but we both volunteer quite a bit. But she's MUCH more sensitive than I am. She gets offended super easily. And it seems like her main goal in life was always to get married and have kids. Neither of us have/had huge career ambitions, but I'm not that interested in getting married and having kids. It's definitely not a life goal of mine.

And that's really funny! It hadn't occurred to me that those two ideas are sort of contradictory. I think it comes from the same place, though - I just don't want to miss anything. I get terrible fear of missing out.

P.S. your artwork is stunning. The one in your signature, top right, looks like Greece. I love it!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] Thank you! I've taken an enneagram test twice. The first time I got 2, the second time, 9. I don't remember the wings. I think I identified with both, but more so 9. I haven't read anything about instincts, and it seems to be kind of hard to find good info about them. I'll poke around on the enneagram forum.

My mom and I are both pretty caring and empathetic. I majored in social work because she sort of pushed me into it - for whatever reason, her dad didn't think social work was a practical choice for her and pushed her into majoring in business. So neither of us ended up being social workers, but we both volunteer quite a bit. But she's MUCH more sensitive than I am. She gets offended super easily. And it seems like her main goal in life was always to get married and have kids. Neither of us have/had huge career ambitions, but I'm not that interested in getting married and having kids. It's definitely not a life goal of mine.

I think ISFx could be both 2 or 9, for enneagram. I was just curious re. instincts, due to people commenting on your posts seeming Fe-ish; I just wanted to highlight the fact that the social instinct has some crossover with Fe behaviors. :) I can't comment on the sensitivity element. I think ISFJ and ISFP will be sensitive in different ways -- I don't really think, though, that one is more or less sensitive than the other.

I can understand the married/kids thing not being a major goal of yours. It was never a 'goal' of mine either, growing up and in my 20's.

And that's really funny! It hadn't occurred to me that those two ideas are sort of contradictory. I think it comes from the same place, though - I just don't want to miss anything. I get terrible fear of missing out.

Ah! I see. Well, too, you probably really value the experience of going through museums, and looking at all of the art pieces -- so that will play into your desire to not miss anything.

----

Sorry I'm not a whole lot of help with figuring out your type - just wanted to add a few thoughts. I don't really think I'm in a position to type people -- I think it's up to you to figure that out. Another good way to figure it out is just to hang around forums -- this one, or others -- and you can start to pick up patterns. You might find over time that you relate more to ISFJ or Fe individuals/thoughts, or you might realize over time that you relate to ISFP / Fi. :)

P.S. your artwork is stunning. The one in your signature, top right, looks like Greece. I love it!

Aww. :) Thank you so much!! I appreciate it. And yes, that was in Greece. I went to several of the greek islands in the early 2000's.

joymac

[MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] You've been very helpful, I really appreciate it! Especially what you just said about just hanging out around here. I'd much rather figure out what I am organically than try to force myself into a type just because I like the description (I love ISFPs!). Trying to figure this all out is making me more self-aware, which is never a bad thing!

Ahh, I knew it had to be Greece! I was lucky enough to be able to visit three of the islands plus Athens in 2009. It's one of my favorite places on Earth.

c-jade

daisies and thunderstorms
MBTI Type
ENFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) I'm kind of in this situation right now. I work with a girl who I consider to be terrible at her job. She's rude to me, slow, a total time and money waster. Ugh she's terrible. I would be happier and less stressed if she didn't work there. But I haven't said anything to my boss. I can't hold a grudge to save my life. She's rude to me one second, and then we're laughing the next and I feel bad about thinking she's terrible and wanting her to be fired. I don't want to be responsible for her losing income and not being able to take care of herself. I also just hate conflict in every way, so that's another reason I'm hesitant. It's not completely selfless.

This sounds pretty Fe to me, because I'm in a similar situation at my job and I'm feeling the same way about it. But I've read recently that Fi can seem like Fe in some situations if your personal moral code involves, say, not hurting other people or being conscientious of the lives of others, etc., which are more naturally Fe traits. So if Fi values certain traits that Fe shows, they'll abide by it as their own personal code and it may come off as Fe, if that makes sense. At face value, though, this sounds like Fe to me based on my own personal experiences.

2) I like wandering around for about five minutes and then making a beeline for whatever ride I want to go on. I do not like standing around trying to make decisions. When I go places with my mom (I think she's a VERY traditional ISFJ), she likes to stand in one spot and look at the map for ten minutes trying to figure out what everyone wants to do. I get so antsy and impatient. I don't want to stand around in the hot sun talking, I just want to do it. I'm usually not very involved in those conversations, I'm probably looking around at the rides, figuring out what I want to eat, and people watching.
Also I'm not sure if this is relevant, but at museums, I like to read every plaque and look at every painting. I don't like missing ANYTHING. I was dating a guy a few years ago and we went to the Met one day. He kept rushing me through rooms that he wasn't fond of and taking me straight to the paintings he liked or could wax on about for an hour. Finally I said "we're missing so much stuff!" He said, "some stuff isn't worth looking at," and my jaw dropped as I said, "EVERYTHING is worth looking at once." We didn't last much longer.

Haha, this sounds exactly like Se. I can see why you felt like ISFP given this description, and leads me to believe that you're a dominant Se-user, at least. However, in the end I have to agree with cascadeco, that the best way to determine your type is by seeing how other types act around here and making the judgment for yourself. That helped me a lot, anyway. :)