• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram type?

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So, I've been having some thoughts about my enneagram core type (between 4w5, 5w4/5w6, 6w5). Any feedback would be much appreciated!

1. What do you think your life is about? What drives you in life? This can be something like a goal or a purpose, or anything else that comes to mind.
I don't think my life is about one particular thing. I think it's probably about a lot of little things forming together to create a whole. Things which drive me are my 'passion' for things like writing and creating (I prefer the world in my head to the external world the vast majority of the time, so writing is therapeutic for me). I'm not always creating, but I'm always thinking of things which could be created - almost all of them being stories, usually based in science fiction or fantasy settings. I find it very difficult to write contemporary fiction.
I think aside form that, necessity drives me. I have to do things like get a job for money, but I'm working towards altering that so I can work in an area I find interesting (like publishing), but really I'm not very well-suited to a lot of careers. Anyway, I would do the work because I had to, then spend my free time working on things I find worthwhile.

2. What were you like as a kid?
Very lost in my own world. I wandered around not really being focused on anything beyond my thoughts (imaginary games were a very big part of that time). I didn't really pick up on things like the other children developing a sense of how you were 'supposed to dress/act' etc. I also had a tendency to wander off on my own as long as I was in a familiar area. Apparently I was sensitive to peoples' words, but I don't remember much about that.

3. Describe your relationship with your parents. Does anything stand out about the way you interacted?
When I was young? I got on very well with both of them. I was apparently a very well-behaved child and just occupied myself quietly most of the time. Although occasionally I would get very disturbed by certain things in TV shows or films (i.e. the bit at the start of Chicken Run with the lady cutting the chicken's head off). My parents tried to always give a reason for things to me, so I never really felt too hard-done by, even if I was disappointed at the outcome. One thing which stood out when I was younger was a moment when my mum was saying something about money or taxes (because me and my sister wanted to know what she was doing) and I had a moment of clarity where I realised I wouldn't be able to understand that until I was older, so I just said okay and walked off - I guess I knew my own limits of understanding which meant I didn't ask tons of questions.

4. What values are important to you? What do you hope to avoid doing or being?
I don't want to cause others harm, really. That's something which developed over a long period of time through experience - I was bullied a lot and it affected me very badly for a number of years, so I wouldn't want to put anyone else through that. I also want to keep an open mind about things and try not to block out new information just because I don't like it or find it difficult to understand. And then I want to be there for the people I care for.
I don't know if that answers the second part too...

5. Aside from phobias, are there any fears that characterized your childhood? Have they continued into the present day, or not, and if not, how have you dealt with them?
Losing the people I care for. Never being able to create something interesting and good.

6. a.) How do you see yourself?
I don't know. I guess through a sort of haze. I don't really notice 'myself' so much as my ideas and the internal feeling of those ideas. My mind is very colourful, but I think outwardly I come across as kind of... not normal, because I don't think I talk or dress or act in a 'standard way' for someone of my age/gender, but neither do I act in an outstandingly abnormal way (I really don't like being the centre of attention or anywhere off the edge of the spectrum of attention). Maybe just kind of awkward in the physical world?

b.) How do you want others to see you?
I don't really mind. I mean, they're free to develop their own sense of who I am, but it would be nice if those close to me would see me as 'me' and not their image of me, but that's impossible because the self is internal.

c.) What do you dislike the most in other people?
Close-mindedness and wilful ignorance, also things like treating people/animals badly. Other peoples' potential for harmfulness, I suppose.

7. Which habit do you most automatically act on? Rank the following habits from most to least automatic, on a scale of 1 (most) to 3 (least).
a.) Work for personal gain with more concern for self than for others. 2? (I want to work for myself, but I don't want to not be concerned for others...)
b.) Strive for a sense of tranquility in yourself and the world around you 1
c.) Decide what is right for the betterment of something or someone else. 3? (I believe in always trying to improve things like ideas, but I wouldn't want to decide what was best for someone...)

8. Where does the wandering mind take you? What provokes this?
Other places. Usually to sort of 'scenes' for stories which I might work on, or ones I just like the idea of and would never take further. Sometimes to areas of anxiety - I tend to dwell of things that make me uncomfortable. Stress provokes the second one, the first is more just being relaxed and/or listening to music.

9.What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
Interesting thoughts make me feel good - being able to explore them freely without someone interrupting. Certain discussions about interesting topics with very certain people. Writing. Reading really good books/comics, watching really good films/series, listening to really good music. Being with people I love (including my cat, who is like a lozenge of the mind).

Things that make me feel my worst are being completely dead inside - uninspired, just filled with things I 'have to do' which don't allow time for me to write or the energy to think of things. Being around a lot of people or places with a lot of stimulation (I feel hungover afterwards). Many things going on at once and me having to keep track of all of them. Being rushed or pressured.

10. Let's talk about emotions. Explain what might make you feel the following, how they feel to you or how you react to the emotion:
a.) anger - I used to repress my anger a lot because it would mean I had to weigh up confronting someone with social anxiety or the fear of hurting them over something which I might be wrong with (I guess not feeling like my anger was valid). Nowadays I just try to explain why I'm angry - it's fine to feel that way, but people can't always understand it and so I make sure to try to explain as well as I can (even if I have to go away for a while first).
b.) shame - I'm not sure with shame. I used to be very ashamed just of existing, because of very low self-esteem/self-confidence, so it felt like I was a horrible, wrong creature who should just stay away from everyone else because I would only be laughed at or thought of in a very negative way. Now I just feel that I'm quite awkward.
c.) anxiety - I had agoraphobia and social anxiety for quite a few years, and used to be a very anxious person. But aside from those, I tend to be very worried about things I don't know much about i.e. I'm starting a new job next week and I don't feel I know enough of the skills to be competent in it, which might mean I do badly or get told off etc. I like to be prepared for things like that, as much as I can at least.

11. Describe how you respond to the following:
a.) stress - I get physical symptoms like stomach aches, headaches, feeling sick and dizzy etc. with chronic stress. Otherwise, I get tired and want to just be on my own - it's too much of an effort to be with people if I'm already balancing a lot in my mind.
b.) negative unexpected change - Strong feelings of dread and a sort of sickness, like a kind of 'doom' feeling if it's bad enough. Other times I try to just get back up and keep going - make the best of it, because that's all I can do.
c.) conflict - Tiredness. I find most conflict is over really little things I just don't care enough about. If it's something big, then I will explain where I'm coming from and try to make everything about the subject clear to the other person.

12. a.) What kind of role are you naturally inclined to take in a group? Why?
I don't know about roles... I tend to stick with just one other person and discuss things with them. If it's with friends, I listen a lot and only share what I want to (people can't pressure me into doing things I don't want to i.e. going to clubs - this has led to me sometimes being called a 'stick in the mud', but hey). I just feel more comfortable not having too much going on and being able to take everything in in my own time/way.
In group projects at university, somehow I always ended up at the leader - I didn't want to be, but no one else would do it. That ended usually with me being extremely stressed but making sure all the work was done even if I had to chase people and compile everything on my own. I just wanted the work done and done well.

b.) If put in power, how do you behave? Why?
Uncomfortably. I don't like organising anyone beyond myself, so having to make sure everything's sorted out is extremely tiring. I also find it difficult to tell group member to 'just do the work'. This is because I know sometimes it's hard to do things like that, or they might have problems going on, but then I think they should say so and not let the project down...

c.) Do you tend to struggle with others who have authority over you? Why?
As long as they know what they're doing, I don't mind. However, for example, there was a teacher in university who just had no idea what he was doing with a lecture and messed around, which made me pretty annoyed because he wasn't taking the fact he was the one providing us with information very seriously (it looked like he'd just made the powerpoint the day before and was improvising - he was a guest lecturer). I kind of expect people in authority to take it as a serious responsibility.

13. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
Usually what they're feeling and why. A lot of the time when I was younger I would be able to explain to friends or family why other friends/family members were acting the way they were - and usually I was right. I also tend not to get so angry with others because I can see the reason behind their actions, even if those actions aren't so great.

14. Comment on your relationship with trust.
I want to trust but I don't feel comfortable doing so. I tend to give little snippets of myself out to very certain individuals, but never very much - it is all truthful though. I never pretend to be something I'm not. I feel that others trusting me is a big responsibility and I make sure to respect that and never betray them.

15. Briefly: What religious and/or political beliefs do you have? Do you think they influenced your responses in this questionnaire?
Nothing, really. I think all religions/beliefs are valid to the person believing them, even if I don't believe them. If they cause harm, then they should be modified to avoid that. Belief is personal and shouldn't be pushed onto others, although asking for understanding or acceptance is fair enough.
I don't think they really affected my responses.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not 4 core. Possibly fixed. 5w6 or 6w5 seem about equally likely. Strongly consider the possibility of 9w1.

5w6 9w1 4wX seems like a good start. soc or sp first. So > sp?

Why do you hide in your head so much? What do you find so repulsive about the world "outside"? (Intentional)

Which do you find more embarrassing: being wrong and showing defective character , being incompetent/ignorant about something everyone else seems to understand?, Being unprepared or out of the loop and failing at something because of it? Possibly rank them?

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thank you for the response, [MENTION=23915]Sinclair[/MENTION]!

To answer your questions:

Why do you hide in your head so much? What do you find so repulsive about the world "outside"? (Intentional)
I find that it's a very uncomfortable place for me. I don't particularly like the options given to me, although I'm working out to work my way towards things I actually feel are worthwhile (i.e. making time for writing, eventually getting into publishing). In my head, if the potential for something is limited, I'm not so aware of it, because it's limited by my own mind and by what I'm aware of (that kind of thing of 'I don't know what I'm missing so I don't miss it'). It's comfortable in my mind, because I can go through everything in my own way and in my own time, without people prodding at me and pressuring me to do things.
My mind is full of light while the outside world is hazy. It's hard to focus on. There's no clarity. It's overwhelming.

Which do you find more embarrassing: being wrong and showing defective character , being incompetent/ignorant about something everyone else seems to understand?, Being unprepared or out of the loop and failing at something because of it? Possibly rank them?
I'll have to be awkward and say a combination of 'being ignorant of something everyone else seems to understand' and 'being unprepared and failing at something' because 1. it brings me sharply into the world as I'm put on the spot and 2. because I become the centre of attention. I don't really know what a defective character would be, although I'm a bit self-conscious about not having very good social skills (although I'm getting better at that).

Why would you say 9w1 is up there, out of interest? Also, why possibly so>sp?

Last edited:

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Why would you say 9w1 is up there, out of interest? Also, why possibly so>sp?

Rereading, I believe you are 5w6 with a strong 9w1 fix. Your follow up responses seem to confirm that, anyway.

Even when people are predisposed to a specific type (and you were clearly already inclined to 5), I try to consider all the possibilities until something they say expressedly contradicts. For your questionnaire, I think 3, 7, and 8 are clearly out for you. 1, 2, and 4, while not improbable, don't seem especially likely either. That leaves 5, 6, and 9 with 5 and 9 being particularly undifferentiated to me after the first reading.

---

5. Aside from phobias, are there any fears that characterized your childhood? Have they continued into the present day, or not, and if not, how have you dealt with them?
Losing the people I care for Never being able to create something interesting and good

Normative. Relates to 9-6 attachment pattern. Easily explained away with a 6 wing.

6. a.) How do you see yourself?
I don't know. I guess through a sort of haze. I don't really notice 'myself' so much as my ideas and the internal feeling of those ideas. My mind is very colourful, but I think outwardly I come across as kind of... not normal, because I don't think I talk or dress or act in a 'standard way' for someone of my age/gender, but neither do I act in an outstandingly abnormal way (I really don't like being the centre of attention or anywhere off the edge of the spectrum of attention).

The first bolded portion relates to my idea of 9 numbness (which I'll try to remember to elaborate on below) but reading more of your post, it doesn't appear to be especially deliberate. The second is just typical of the withdrawn triad so 4,5,9 suspicions were all boosted.

Number 12 could go either way with 5 and 9. More mud that needed to be cleaned away.

9.What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
Interesting thoughts make me feel good - being able to explore them freely without someone interrupting. Certain discussions about interesting topics with very certain people. Writing. Reading really good books/comics, watching really good films/series, listening to really good music. Being with people I love (including my cat, who is like a lozenge of the mind).

Things that make me feel my worst are being completely dead inside - uninspired, just filled with things I 'have to do' which don't allow time for me to write or the energy to think of things. Being around a lot of people or places with a lot of stimulation (I feel hungover afterwards). Many things going on at once and me having to keep track of all of them. Being rushed or pressured.

Undifferentiated withdrawing. The underlined lead me to 9 but the way you explained it balances back to 5. Especially the pressured part. I'm guessing it relates to expectations you feel uncertain about properly satisfying? How far off is that?

10. Let's talk about emotions. Explain what might make you feel the following, how they feel to you or how you react to the emotion:
a.) anger - I used to repress my anger a lot because it would mean I had to weigh up confronting someone with social anxiety or the fear of hurting them over something which I might be wrong with (I guess not feeling like my anger was valid). Nowadays I just try to explain why I'm angry - it's fine to feel that way, but people can't always understand it and so I make sure to try to explain as well as I can (even if I have to go away for a while first).
b.) shame - I'm not sure with shame. I used to be very ashamed just of existing, because of very low self-esteem/self-confidence, so it felt like I was a horrible, wrong creature who should just stay away from everyone else because I would only be laughed at or thought of in a very negative way. Now I just feel that I'm quite awkward.
c.) anxiety - I had agoraphobia and social anxiety for quite a few years, and used to be a very anxious person. But aside from those, I tend to be very worried about things I don't know much about i.e. I'm starting a new job next week and I don't feel I know enough of the skills to be competent in it, which might mean I do badly or get told off etc. I like to be prepared for things like that, as much as I can at least.

This made me more strongly consider the 6-9-3 line. It also raised some concerns of how much your social anxiety influenced your identification with 5 or vice versa. The bolded typifies the 9's defense mechanism. Shrinking and eating away at the frustration typically justified by wanting to appear appealing to others (upward 3 influence) but doing so in the most unhealthy way possible: neglecting (the validity of) the emotional health of the self.

But you said you've worked most of this out. So air.
---

Both 5 and 9 are internal types with tendencies to hide in their heads resulting in being out of touch with themselves and the world around them. One way people try to differentiate the two is by saying that 5s are hard and emotionless while 9s are soft and outwardly emotional. I disagree with that. I think both have distant and aloof exteriors with extremely volatile interiors with the difference being fear based volatility for 5s and anger/frustration based volatility for 9s. I think 5s are more inclined to intellectualize their flaws and paint the "world" as the problem and themselves as the only "awoken" or innocent party(w4 or w6 influence) while 9 is more likely to internalize their wrongness and weaknesses and act to suppress them (w1 and w8).

Also, my suggesting 9 was a "check" against the tendency for people to shy away from the "normative" 3-6-9 triad. I don't blame them. I feel the most common descriptions don't do their issues just.

As for so/sp, I go by the model that the first instinct is a source of insecurity and desire for improvement with the second being predominantly secure and the third being an "if it is, if it isn't I don't really care" sort of thing. That was the fluffiest guess of the entire post since it's harder to suss out instincts without going into someone's emotional/developmental background and that's something I'm not always in the mood for.

I hope this was more clear.

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=23915]Sinclair[/MENTION] Thank you for the in-depth explanation!

I can see where you're coming from with 9w1 (actually I was typed as such for a long time previously) and I don't not agree with you. I do think 5 and 9 are the strongest fixes in my tritype (I guess 4 is the other one, although it's a lot weaker than both, really). I'm just unsure as to whether my core fix is based in 'fear'/head or 'anger'/gut, as I know those have specific preoccupations, so 5 would be with a fear of being unequipped to deal with the world (and so trying to become equipped by absorbing as much information as possible) while 9 would be the discomfort with anger and its expression (although different from 1, because 9 is more concerned about the anger placing them in a very solitary position, disconnected and having to be fully 'aware' of themselves, while 1 would be concerned about how anger is negative and doesn't fit into their ideas of how they should be, right?)

Undifferentiated withdrawing. The underlined lead me to 9 but the way you explained it balances back to 5. Especially the pressured part. I'm guessing it relates to expectations you feel uncertain about properly satisfying? How far off is that?
I really don't like being pressured - I get a fairly strong internal reaction to it. But I'm not sure about it being expectations. Maybe it's feeling that as soon as I'm pressured I have the expectation placed on me to do as asked, no matter how I feel about it. (I.e. My sister rushing me to get ready to leave the house faster, when there's nowhere in particular we need to be. I know there's no actual need to go faster, it's just that she wants to go. I'm fine going, but I want to go at my own pace - but then, I don't want to have to say 'I don't want to hurry up' so I end up going 'Hold on a minute' or 'I'm going as fast as I can' etc. A fairly small-scale example, but hopefully you get the idea!)

I do find it hard to differentiate between putting the flaws onto either myself or the world. I tend to do both to an extent (although I guess I'm less forgiving with myself?)

I've also found that the descriptions for 9 are a bit... flat. They put a lot of emphasis on 9 not having its own identity, which I don't really think is true for me. At least not now. I used to have possible issues with that when I was younger, but that could have been in part because I'm a twin, so me and my sister tended to be counted as a single person amongst friends.

I haven't actually heard about the first instinct being the insecure one, but if so, then I would think SO is probably that one. I think SP is one which is more 'natural' for me though. I can be very cautious and concerned with safety/security (which did make me think 6, but then I don't think I'm reactive enough...).

Thank you again!

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=23915]Sinclair[/MENTION] Thank you for the in-depth explanation!

I can see where you're coming from with 9w1 (actually I was typed as such for a long time previously) and I don't not agree with you. I do think 5 and 9 are the strongest fixes in my tritype (I guess 4 is the other one, although it's a lot weaker than both, really). I'm just unsure as to whether my core fix is based in 'fear'/head or 'anger'/gut, as I know those have specific preoccupations, so 5 would be with a fear of being unequipped to deal with the world (and so trying to become equipped by absorbing as much information as possible) while 9 would be the discomfort with anger and its expression (although different from 1, because 9 is more concerned about the anger placing them in a very solitary position, disconnected and having to be fully 'aware' of themselves, while 1 would be concerned about how anger is negative and doesn't fit into their ideas of how they should be, right?)

I really like the way you worded the bolded.

Yes, though I can also see 1's engaging in a sort of "righteous fury" if a single instance violates their principles severely enough or they reach the threshold of how much they're willing to tolerate. Unhealthy 9 core might go so far to negate themselves nearly out of existence (slightly exaggerating) before w1 or w8 influences them to assert themselves and push back.

I really don't like being pressured - I get a fairly strong internal reaction to it. But I'm not sure about it being expectations. Maybe it's feeling that as soon as I'm pressured I have the expectation placed on me to do as asked, no matter how I feel about it. (I.e. My sister rushing me to get ready to leave the house faster, when there's nowhere in particular we need to be. I know there's no actual need to go faster, it's just that she wants to go. I'm fine going, but I want to go at my own pace - but then, I don't want to have to say 'I don't want to hurry up' so I end up going 'Hold on a minute' or 'I'm going as fast as I can' etc. A fairly small-scale example, but hopefully you get the idea!)

Your example sounds rather 9-ish though that's moot at this point.

I do find it hard to differentiate between putting the flaws onto either myself or the world. I tend to do both to an extent (although I guess I'm less forgiving with myself?)
With relatively equal 9 and 5 influences, I'm not surprised. I should've asked which one do you think you instinctively do more? First?
I should probably clarify that this almost exclusively has to do with emotions. 5's displace, set aside from themselves, "I'll figure this out later. They're distracting me right now". 9's eat, devalue their own, "It doesn't matter. Fighting it is a waste of time. Life goes on". Different processes but can still result in aloof/numbness.

I've also found that the descriptions for 9 are a bit... flat. They put a lot of emphasis on 9 not having its own identity, which I don't really think is true for me. At least not now. I used to have possible issues with that when I was younger, but that could have been in part because I'm a twin, so me and my sister tended to be counted as a single person amongst friends.
Exactly. I think it's the result of some sources trying to clarify the boundaries between types but not rechecking to see if everything is balanced. 8 steals from 6, 5 from 9, 4 from 1, etc etc with ideas getting blending and replicated on cycle.

"Lack of identity" is close but not nuanced enough in my opinion. Out of touch with their own desires, yes. Folding themselves to external force, sure. "Not knowing who they are and needing to find it?" sounds like a 4 (and more generally, heart triad) thing.

I haven't actually heard about the first instinct being the insecure one, but if so, then I would think SO is probably that one. I think SP is one which is more 'natural' for me though. I can be very cautious and concerned with safety/security (which did make me think 6, but then I don't think I'm reactive enough...).

Thank you again!

Welcome. I came across it while discussing instincts on a different forum. I know it's not the model everyone goes by and that's fine. It's the one I prefer though. Snips from oceanmoonshine site:

In the portions of this site which follow, some attempt has been made to describe the manner in which these instincts manifest. The general pattern which seems to occur is that one of the three instincts becomes preferred and over-utilized; it mixes with the second most preferred instinct, while the third remains generally undeveloped...Claudio Naranjo describes the dominant instinct as a “weakness which looks like a strength.” By this, he seems to have meant that, as the dominant instinct is overdeveloped, it certainly will attend to the needs associated with that instinct; in this sense it appears to be a strength. But, as the instinct is unbalanced and guided by a fixated personality, it is not being properly utilized, and, in this disturbed state often does not actually best serve the overall interests of the individual who is in its grip.

And more relevant to my guess of Social first:

The social instinct focuses on the group, hierarchy, status, the big picture; it essentially focuses on connecting to that which is larger than the self. Individuals whose social instinct is dominant need to feel a sense of “belonging.” They need to feel as though they have found a place in the group; they need to feel as though they are making their own contributions. Individuals whose social instinct is first tend to be the warmest of the subtypes. They generally have lots of “connections” whether to friends, acquaintances, family members or professional colleagues. Social subtypes are the most likely to feel a sense of social responsibility to the needs of the group and to work to serve those needs.

On the high side, social subtypes are the most likely to sacrifice their narrow interests in service of that which is larger than themselves. They extend themselves toward others and often have a sort of generosity with their time and energy. They are aware of group dynamics and underlying emotional currents. On the down side however, social subtypes are the most prone to feelings of social shame; as they are the most acutely aware of the opinions of others, they suffer the most when they feel a sense of social rejection. Social subtypes can therefore suffer from self-consciousness. In less balanced personalities, this can lead to a need to conform to the standards of the group in order to achieve acceptance. Social subtypes can sometimes fail to focus on the needs of the self as they are searching for their identity in terms of the larger whole.

When the social instinct is least developed, the individual is going to find it difficult to see why it is important to form social connections or to cultivate multiple relationships. This, in turn, can lead to a certain amount of social isolation. And, as we all must find a niche in the larger whole, those whose social instinct is least developed, can find it difficult to negotiate the needs of the social realm which make this possible. Those whose social instinct is last in the instinctual stacking, find interdependence difficult and dependence on others barely tolerable. But all human beings are interdependent, and sometimes, dependent – when they are, for instance, young, weak, sick, old or dying. Those whose social instinct remains undeveloped are trying to attain a type of independence and self-sufficiency which is not possible for human beings. This “false independence” almost certainly leads to unnecessary suffering and impoverishment of experience

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see a lot of 5 in what you've written so far. (And in general I am impressed with your ability to describe yourself.)
Your internal world being so strong makes me lean toward 5w4, since I'd expect a lot more relational references if you had a 6 wing.
You do seem to be connected to your emotional experience, but overall I see a focus on the content and information - again more 5ish.
And probably a strong wing regardless of 5w4 or 4w5.
As a 5 myself, there are things I can relate to in your descriptions.
And there are parts I can't. Which since I have a 6 wing, is another reason to lean toward 5w4.
I also hear security more of an issue than image.
On the MBTI side of things, I hear INxx. I have more trouble teasing out T/F sine they both show up in what you've said. And J/P, I guess I don't see enough to go on and so don't have a vote there either.

Hope that helps a little.

Added later: The 9 investigation is interesting. I'll be curious to see where it leads.

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=23915]Sinclair[/MENTION] I like the way you are thinking about this :)

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=23915]Sinclair[/MENTION] I'm glad my understanding of it was okay! And thanks for another great response!

I could see 9 retreating through disconnection rather than going into righteous fury. I think generally I'm quite laid back about things (not much really gets to me), but when something does get to me, I can have a very strong internal reaction to it. My external reaction seems a lot more toned down than how I actually feel, but for people who know me well, they can generally pick up on the fact I'm angry/upset etc. I guess an example would be when someone told me 'you need to listen' which just irritated me a lot (because I had been listening and had just made a small mistake because I was really tired) and I immediately went cold/quiet and asked them not to say that, then when they said it wasn't a big deal, explained to them it wasn't an issue for them, but it was to me.

With relatively equal 9 and 5 influences, I'm not surprised. I should've asked which one do you think you instinctively do more? First?
I should probably clarify that this almost exclusively has to do with emotions. 5's displace, set aside from themselves, "I'll figure this out later. They're distracting me right now". 9's eat, devalue their own, "It doesn't matter. Fighting it is a waste of time. Life goes on". Different processes but can still result in aloof/numbness.

Hm... I think I tend to have the initial thought of 'you can shout until the end of time and all you're going to get is a sore throat' because I believe in reasoning with people calmly. If you get angry, they get defensive and don't listen. If you're calm and put the point across clearly, they will generally listen and it might avoid more misunderstanding. I used to let things go a lot because I thought there was no point in pursuing it, whereas now I'm more likely to keep going until something is resolved (depends if I can see that someone will be responsive, or if they're just going to blank me).

The out of touch with their desire thing does sound a lot more appropriate for the gut triad. Identity is more about the heart triad as far as I can tell. I'm still wondering if I would fit into the gut or the head triad more...

I find the Social descriptions very... alienating almost. I mean, I do care about people close to me, and I don't want to upset/hurt people or animals in general, but I don't know about worrying about fitting in or the hierarchy aspects. I tend to struggle in social settings because I'm not good with those things and, although I'm self-conscious about not being good socially, I'm not sure it's a major concern for me. I enjoy being on my own or with a small group of friends and have said, when encouraged to make more friends, that I don't feel the need for any more.

The part about it being a fixation is interesting though!

[MENTION=26002]estorm[/MENTION] Thank you for your response. I was wondering what in particular came across as 5? (I find describing myself fairly easy. I didn't used to, but I tried out monitoring myself objectively to better understand how my mind works i.e. what causes/cures stress. It's more comfortable to describe myself as if describing another person.)

Yes, I had issues with 6 in general because of the relational aspects. I said above that I'm not too concerned about fitting in - mostly so long as people leave me to do my own thing. I like guidance with things I don't know though (i.e. in work, I got very uncomfortable being left with no instructions because I still don't know how everything works, or how to find certain files on the computer).

Oh, do you maybe doubt INFP for me? How come?

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was wondering what in particular came across as 5?

Quick and dirty I admit, but below are some quotes from above and my impression. I have to say, going through it I end up more in the 9 camp. It is also said that 9's are more likely to misidentify as 5's than the reverse. Anyway, for what it's worth ...

5=(between 4w5, 5w4/5w6, 6w5).

9= I think it's probably about a lot of little things forming together to create a whole.

9= I wandered around not really being focused on anything beyond my thoughts

5= I didn't really pick up on things like the other children developing a sense of how you were 'supposed to dress/act' etc.

9= I had a moment of clarity where I realised I wouldn't be able to understand that until I was older, so I just said okay and walked off - I guess I knew my own limits of understanding which meant I didn't ask tons of questions.

9=I don't want to cause others harm, really.

9=I also want to keep an open mind about things and try not to block out new information just because I don't like it or find it difficult to understand.

5=Never being able to create something interesting and good.

9=I don't know. I guess through a sort of haze. I don't really notice 'myself' so much as my ideas and the internal feeling of those ideas.

5=My mind is very colourful, but I think outwardly I come across as kind of... not normal, because I don't think I talk or dress or act in a 'standard way' for someone of my age/gender, but neither do I act in an outstandingly abnormal way

5=I don't really mind. I mean, they're free to develop their own sense of who I am, but it would be nice if those close to me would see me as 'me' and not their image of me, but that's impossible because the self is internal.

5=Close-mindedness and wilful ignorance

9= b.) Strive for a sense of tranquility in yourself and the world around you 1

9=Usually to sort of 'scenes' for stories which I might work on, or ones I just like the idea of and would never take further.

5=Interesting thoughts make me feel good - being able to explore them freely without someone interrupting. Certain discussions about interesting topics with very certain people.

9=Things that make me feel my worst are being completely dead inside - uninspired, just filled with things I 'have to do' which don't allow time for me to write or the energy to think of things

9= anger - I used to repress my anger a lot because it would mean I had to weigh up confronting someone with social anxiety or the fear of hurting them over something which I might be wrong with (I guess not feeling like my anger was valid).

5=Nowadays I just try to explain why I'm angry - it's fine to feel that way, but people can't always understand it and so I make sure to try to explain as well as I can (even if I have to go away for a while first).

5=In group projects at university, somehow I always ended up at the leader - I didn't want to be, but no one else would do it. That ended usually with me being extremely stressed but making sure all the work was done even if I had to chase people and compile everything on my own. I just wanted the work done and done well.

9=I also find it difficult to tell group member to 'just do the work'. This is because I know sometimes it's hard to do things like that, or they might have problems going on, but then I think they should say so and not let the project down...

5=As long as they (authorities) know what they're doing, I don't mind. However, for example, there was a teacher in university who just had no idea what he was doing with a lecture and messed around, which made me pretty annoyed because he wasn't taking the fact he was the one providing us with information very seriously (it looked like he'd just made the powerpoint the day before and was improvising - he was a guest lecturer). I kind of expect people in authority to take it as a serious responsibility.

9=Usually what they're feeling and why. A lot of the time when I was younger I would be able to explain to friends or family why other friends/family members were acting the way they were - and usually I was right. I also tend not to get so angry with others because I can see the reason behind their actions, even if those actions aren't so great.

9= They put a lot of emphasis on 9 not having its own identity, which I don't really think is true for me. At least not now. I used to have possible issues with that when I was younger, but that could have been in part because I'm a twin, so me and my sister tended to be counted as a single person amongst friends.

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=26002]estorm[/MENTION] Thank you! Haha, 'totally possible'.

So that ended up with 9 = 15 and 5 = 10? Thank you for working through all of that for examples (I'm not the most concise writer, unfortunately). I do wonder how to tell if I'm more 9 than 5, or vice versa, if the two are very close. I know when I was younger I was a lot more 9. I did also hear that 5 are 'contentious'. Would that be sticking with a point and debating about it even if it causes a lot of ructions? I don't think I am contentious, although with close family and sometimes close friends I can be very stubborn about things. And I don't necessarily go along with people just to keep the peace, although I will if I don't really mind either way (or if I don't know the person well).

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
9's can be stubborn, sometimes leading to passive aggressive behavior.
5's can be stubborn too, but more likely to be more obvious about it.

Your continuing to wonder which (9 or 5) makes you more and more likely to be a 9 ;)

Is there anything in the description below that you don't resonate with?

Nine - The Mediator
Type Nines are understanding of different perspectives and can see where there is common ground. They are open-minded and calm, and they can be very diplomatic. They prefer harmonious situations and being supportive while avoiding or mediating conflict. They focus on the positive, though underneath their peaceful exterior they may feel more anxious or upset. Their sensitivity to others makes it difficult for them to always know where they themselves stand, and they may seem spaced-out or distant.

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
9's can be stubborn, sometimes leading to passive aggressive behavior.
5's can be stubborn too, but more likely to be more obvious about it.

Your continuing to wonder which (9 or 5) makes you more and more likely to be a 9 ;)

Hm, I don't think I'm passive aggressive. I'm probably more obvious about it... But not that obvious. I just won't do certain things if I really don't want to.

(Does wondering really make me more likely to be a 9? How come?)

Is there anything in the description below that you don't resonate with?

Nine - The Mediator
Type Nines are understanding of different perspectives and can see where there is common ground. They are open-minded and calm, and they can be very diplomatic. They prefer harmonious situations and being supportive while avoiding or mediating conflict. They focus on the positive, though underneath their peaceful exterior they may feel more anxious or upset. Their sensitivity to others makes it difficult for them to always know where they themselves stand, and they may seem spaced-out or distant.
The two bolded parts I don't relate to. I don't focus on the positive, but I don't focus on the negative either - unless I'm anxious about whatever it is, in which case I tend to be more negative about it. I'm more 'realistic' I suppose? I focus on the good and the bad.
I tend to know where I won't stand. I also tend to know where I stand during arguments, but I'm nearly always open to being wrong (I'm only immovable on topics such as cruelty to animals/children/vulnerable creatures or people).

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(Does wondering really make me more likely to be a 9? How come?)

It is said that 9's are more likely to misidentify as 5's than the other way around. And while 5's may take their time gathering data, they are probably more likely to arrive at conclusions that they are comfortable with. Whereas 9's may have a harder time choosing as they are more able to see things from different perspectives and are less clear about their own sense of self. [Yes, those are generalization, but that's what we've got to work with. Ultimately it comes down to what you resonate with most - both positive and negative aspects.]

The two bolded parts I don't relate to. I don't focus on the positive, but I don't focus on the negative either - unless I'm anxious about whatever it is, in which case I tend to be more negative about it. I'm more 'realistic' I suppose? I focus on the good and the bad.
I tend to know where I won't stand. I also tend to know where I stand during arguments, but I'm nearly always open to being wrong (I'm only immovable on topics such as cruelty to animals/children/vulnerable creatures or people).

9's tend to like to stay more (outwardly) positive, while 5's are more (outwardly) emotionally controlled. Strong opinions and sense of self sounds more 5-ish to me then 9ish.

So given the above thread, what are you thinking now?

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It is said that 9's are more likely to misidentify as 5's than the other way around. And while 5's may take their time gathering data, they are probably more likely to arrive at conclusions that they are comfortable with. Whereas 9's may have a harder time choosing as they are more able to see things from different perspectives and are less clear about their own sense of self. [Yes, those are generalization, but that's what we've got to work with. Ultimately it comes down to what you resonate with most - both positive and negative aspects.]

9's tend to like to stay more (outwardly) positive, while 5's are more (outwardly) emotionally controlled. Strong opinions and sense of self sounds more 5-ish to me then 9ish.

So given the above thread, what are you thinking now?
Ah, I see. I'm very open to other possible angles to things, but if I have to make a decision, I'll make one and just keep myself open to it not being the right one. With some things, I can make a decision very quickly though (for example, when writing stories, I make choices on plotlines quite easily).

Hm, well I tend to be outwardly positive (or at least neutral) about things towards people I'm not too familiar with. With close family and friends, I tend to be more balanced (I will be negative when I feel anxious though, so when someone says 'let's do this thing' and it seems like it could potentially be something that I wouldn't like/would cause a lot of discomfort, I'll point out other things we could do instead and, if pushed, would say I'm not sure about it). I am generally emotionally controlled, at least around people I'm not comfortable with.

I'm not actually sure after that. I would agree 5 and 9 are very close. I'm just wondering which is more natural for me...