• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I 4w3 or 4w5?

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
0. What's making you unsure of your type? What research have you already done to determine type?

Quizzes have always told me I'm 4w5 but I was attracted to the idea of 4w3. Not the stereotypical idea of the shallow attention-seeker or show off, but sort of the idea of 4 and 3 existing in one person together as a source of internal conflict. And also expression for the sake of expression. The stuff I stole copy and pasted about 4w3s in my blog (http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member-blogs/71759-mock-senseless-conjuration.html) really fits me. I suppose now though I'm wondering where my analytical, introspective nature plays into this? People tend to tell me I'm very thoughtful. Not necessarily as in thinking of others, just thinking.

1. Establish a "baseline mood"--when you're at home with nothing to do, where are you at mentally and emotionally? What do you notice in yourself? (Note, this is not a mood you inhabit "frequently", but your psychological baseline).

I'm not sure what psychological baseline means, but when I'm at home with nothing to do I tend to be either calm and content or irritated, agitated and bored.

2. Describe yourself--
a. What's it like to be you?

You'd constantly be feeling strong emotions. It would be wild and scary sometimes. You'd try to find control. But you'd find control by being free. By letting yourself laugh and cry openly. You'd do physically and emotionally expressive arts like acting. You'd be overwhelmed when things where busy and bored to agitation when things were calm.

b. What have others said about you?

That I'm creative, passionate, persuasive, thoughtful, difficult to predict, that my anger is frightening, that I'm honest, smart, and self-righteous.

c. What do you think of yourself?

That I am talented, but inherently a bad person.

3. What are the issues you've dealt with in life? List some recurrent themes, and tell us a little about each one.

Chronic physical illness and abuse.

4. You're not good at everything--
a. What personality traits and/or ways of being are impossible for you to adopt?

It is hard for me to be as kind as I want to be. I wish I could believe the best in people. I also wish I was more confident.

b. What are qualities you'd like to have, but can't seem to develop?

I suppose I'd like to not run out of energy when spending time with people. I can be moderately outgoing but it's dampened by the fact that I eventually find it draining.

5. Why have you left friends and other relationships in the past and/or why have they left you?

We've grown apart or I've become afraid of being close.

6. Which types do you identify with most?

4, 5, 7

7. Which types are least like you?

1, 8

8. They claim enneagram type is a hidden love need. What are your attitudes toward finding love?

I prefer platonic love. I like empathy and understanding and kindness.

9. What is the message your superego tells you?

Consider a time when you felt poorly about yourself--this means your ego (i.e. YOU) is receiving negative feedback from your superego. Write a conversation between the two of them--what is your superego telling you about how to be? (Note: this obviously is very personal and may be better done privately. Report your findings).

I am not writing a fake conversation with myself. Or dividing myself into multiple selves.

For the following, rank the issues in the order they apply and give a brief description of why and how you relate.

10. Determine your ego ideal--the way you strive to be and want others to perceive you. (Note, you may be consciously aware of failing at this, and you will be hard on yourself if you do. If someone else tells you you're NOT this way, it may make you feel hurt, violated, or angry.)

Which of the following ideals resonate with you the most, and why? Rank them.

1. to strive to become/behave like a good person
2. to be sensitive, original, unique, and creative
3. to be loving and benevolent
4. to be "okay", having it together
5. to be a loveable person
6. to be accomplished and successful
7. to be knowlegeable
8. to be powerful, strong, unassailable.
9. to be devoted and loyal to a person or cause

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Skipping number 9 kills it a bit. Even if you don't do a full blown conversation, starting with "What am I afraid of?" and writing from there would've been useful.

Interesting that you don't relate to E1 yet it's the ideal that resonates the most with you in question 10 with E4 coming after it. Why?

á´…eparted

passages
Interesting that you don't relate to E1 yet it's the ideal that resonates the most with you in question 10 with E4 coming after it. Why?

It's actually fairly common for people to not relate or resonate with their integration point, in particular if they aren't healthy at the moment. It's an integreation point for a reason; it takes work and effort.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's actually fairly common for people to not relate or resonate with their integration point, in particular if they aren't healthy at the moment. It's an integreation point for a reason; it takes work and effort.

I always find it interesting when people are asked "Do you agree with X?" and say "No" but when asked "Do you agree with *definition of X*?" say "Yes".

The reasons given for these incongruities can offer insight about the individual's values and way of thinking. Perhaps the OP would've mentioned what you just said. Perhaps not.

Now we may never know...

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Skipping number 9 kills it a bit. Even if you don't do a full blown conversation, starting with "What am I afraid of?" and writing from there would've been useful.

Alright. In relation to number 9, I suppose if I were stuck in a negative feedback loop I would be telling myself that I'm not a good person or that I'm bad at what I do. I'd be full of doubt and uncertainty.

In relation to number 12, which is fears, "Something is basically wrong with me--I'm not good enough" is probably what I fear most. Though I also fear appearing weak and making my needs too obvious. And exisiting alone with my experiences and not being able to communicate those experiences in a way that can be understood. As in, being seperate in a way that's just too huge.

Well, I ranked the ideals in the order that I value them most, or how I would most like others to see me as. If I ranked them as traits that I currently possess, (or see myself as possessing) from most to least, it would look like this:

2. to be sensitive, original, unique, and creative
7. to be knowlegeable
8. to be powerful, strong, unassailable.
1. to strive to become/behave like a good person
9. to be devoted and loyal to a person or cause
5. to be a loveable person
6. to be accomplished and successful
4. to be "okay", having it together
3. to be loving and benevolent