• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me determine S/N for an EXTP

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Projecting my own need for closure onto readers of this thread ;) I thought I'd confirm: He's ENTP.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, so I am trying to type this guy. He's 29 years old and in the process of acquiring a Ph.D. in economics. We've been Facebooking and here are two of his messages, courtesy of Google Translate with some editing and commenting [] by me:

Incidentally, it's obviously lost in translation, but his grammar and his spelling are perfect.

ESTP, and here's why:

He considers several points which would call for theory in figuring things out, respectively. But doesn't offer any theories, which is an N thing, to connect with possible solutions. This may tell you he is dealing with concrete facts of what has happened or what has been observable, which is an S thing.

If I were in his shoes writing his message I would have offered you all sorts of ideas to pick-spring your ideas to help confirm, or negate, the reality..me being a knowledge-seeker.

So that's pretty much it in a nutshell. :)

Economica, What was the source or criteria in confirming he's ENTP?

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
ESTP. no sane NP would get a ph.d. in economics.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Economica, What was the source or criteria in confirming he's ENTP?

My judgment. :D I have now shared an office with him for four months, and I continue to stand by my verdict.

Actually it was silly of me to doubt it in the first place, but hey, cut me some slack; striking the right balance between openmindedness and effectiveness isn't so easy for a beginner!

ESTP. no sane NP would get a ph.d. in economics.

Admittedly I can't vouch for sane :D but I can tell you that there are plenty of N(T)Ps in economics. :yes: If you have a hard time believing me, that just goes to show you don't know (pdf warning) what economics is about.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
Admittedly I can't vouch for sane :D but I can tell you that there are plenty of N(T)Ps in economics. :yes: If you have a hard time believing me, that just goes to show you don't know (pdf warning) what economics is about.

yep, economics is just what is written in the paper: 17 pages filled to the brim with text. i still wonder how it is possible for any NP to do a degree in economics let alone a ph.d. without becoming completely deranged.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
yep, economics is just what is written in the paper: 17 pages filled to the brim with text. i still wonder how it is possible for any NP to do a degree in economics let alone a ph.d. without becoming completely deranged.

Work on developing your introverted judgment, and eventually you'll understand. :yes:

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
Work on developing your introverted judgment, and eventually you'll understand. :yes:

invalid statement. to develop it i have to start by having it in the first place... which i don't.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From what I can gather, it's saying N to me. But then, the only ESTP's I've ever known have not been great advertisements for type equality... they've all been no-brain peasants that walk round with shaved heads and bare chests in gangs with lager cans in their hands to football matches or else middle aged con men with several failed marriages...

OUCH!!! :shock:

I did know one that was more intelligent and honourable, but I think his wife trained him :laugh:

<Raises Hand> I'm one of those! Mom trained me first, now I'm enrolled in wifey's Good Boy Academy. We are trainable, and not all of us sit the <negative> stereotypes typically associated with our 4 letters... :cheers:

The fact that I allow in my mind for these being not typical or that they're not all like that is me trying really hard not to be typist! :laugh:

Understood! :hug:

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Almost two years later, I shamefacedly overturn my verdict. I now believe this EXTP to be an ESTP, as indeed his test result indicated.

I just couldn't get over his facility with theory. He's the kind of guy who manages to ask intelligent and incisive questions at every seminar and in every discussion. Having little RL experience with intelligent STPs in an academic setting, I guess I managed to mistake Ti for Ne.

I am embarrassed to admit that my folly persisted throughout more than a year of his Facebook status updates which are generally about soccer, the weather, food, risque humor, stuff that happens around him, and links to YouTube videos such as this one or the next Batman trailer. And when our other office mate (INFJ) and I have indulged in wide-eyed speculation in front of him or he has seen us exchange pleasure reading (earlier this week I lent him The Blank Slate and he lent me Predictably Irrational) with him failing to engage us, I thought he was simply too cool for us, intellectually speaking, even though he is otherwise friendly with us both and happily goes drinking with the INFJ.

:doh:

Avatar7, I belatedly concede that you nailed it:

ESTP, and here's why:

He considers several points which would call for theory in figuring things out, respectively. But doesn't offer any theories, which is an N thing, to connect with possible solutions. This may tell you he is dealing with concrete facts of what has happened or what has been observable, which is an S thing.

If I were in his shoes writing his message I would have offered you all sorts of ideas to pick-spring your ideas to help confirm, or negate, the reality..me being a knowledge-seeker.

So that's pretty much it in a nutshell. :)

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would ask him to take the Jung Typology test and see what happens :)

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I would ask him to take the Jung Typology test and see what happens :)

Which test are you referring to?

Back in the day I linked him to two tests, humanmetrics and one in our language. He took the latter which pegged him as ESTP. See what he had to say about it in the OP.

:)