• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IXFP Is this Ni or Ne in action ?

j colour

MBTI Type
IXFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hello I am honing in on my type by using the cognitive functions. Figure out which ones come first instinctively, feels natural and easy, and makes me feel the best and most energized. Here is an example of my Nx/Sx at work, so I am curious if you find Ne/Si or Ni/Se ? Please feel free to ask any question or throw any cents at me I am trying to get to the bottom of my type.

I started looking at this picture in an mbti Ebook working with extraverted sensing exercise which was to look at a picture and just let yourself wonder on the details of it shading, lines, and textures ect. As I was very much involved in looking at the picture which was a Sky, apple tree, and then enlarged apples that were about the size of the trunk of the apple tree. It was picture made in a clip art esque

So two big apples in the forefront, one of them a whole apple and one of them sliced in half horizontally which exposes the inside with two seeds, grass, and an apple tree shown with expanding branches in the middle, which have no leaves covering them so you can see the branches intertwining into the ends with leaves and then the apples. All shades of blue- now that you got a picture Here is where the intuition happened.

As I am picking up these details I saw a ghost figure in the open faced apple- the two seeds made for eyes and the lines outlining the core made for the shape of a ghost similar to super Mario 64 (i just made the Mario connection now) noted it, moved on, and continued to involve myself in the details as I got to the crossing tree branches I saw what looked like to me a rough freemason symbol in the middle so after I was done or I started coming up the idea then (I don’t remember) I started creating a new picture in my head which was an Apple tree with a freeMason Symbol, a Tombstone with Kat Williams name on it (because of illuminati suggestions), rotten apples laying all around with the names of people in the federal reserve and associated with it sketched on them, This would all be up on top of a cliff (because recently the other day I thought about a cartoon cliff with the lighting bolt in conversation) A strike of lighting would be illuminating this image and there would be a ghost picketing the federal reserve (I have recently been learning about the federal reserve)

I apologize for the rough proofread I want to keep it as original and untampered as possible. Let me know what you think !

Last edited:

rmrf

My opinion, in short was neither. It was Ne/Si working together. If you were to pick the one function really 'in action' here, it would be Si, but that would still be missing the point that it's both working together.

While it certainly wasn't Se at play, it wasn't pure Ne either. It seemed very much like Ne/Si. My type (INTP) shares the Ne/Si apparatus present in INFPs. I'll explain my idea of how I think it works.

I find this hard to explain, but bare with me. The 'database' of mental imagery I associate with Si. So you used Ne to take in information, this works in tandem with Si, meaning Ne/Si intuitively 'searches' to find what mental images are associated with it. A lot of what people associate with Ne involves Si. This is because Se is essentially incompatible with Si, so types that externally perceive with Ne are going to have Si somewhere. Ne scans the environment intuitively and associates it with Si based content.

These associations aren't arbitrary or random. The reason you saw the freemason symbol is that some part of the image would have at least been partially geometrically related to the symbol. A Se perceiver would focus on the image as a whole without an emphasis on finding associations. Ne breaks the image into associations, it detects there may be something in that outline. It then working with Si, finds what it can associate. The mental encoding of the masonic icon is Si, and the Ne-Si apparatus matches the outline as being associated with the icon.

If the reason you're asking this is because you're unsure of whether you're INFP or ISFP, the impression I got is an INFP. This is the stereotype/metaphor I use for the two types (this is only a stereotype and doesn't always apply). Both IxFPs are typically creative types. ISFP creativity could be thought of as 'a painter', the INFP creativity as 'the poet'.

I got the feeling you're quite a creative, poetic type. Granted my basis is only this post, but I'd guess your type as INFP. Imaginative Ne/Si apparatus.

In fact, thinking about it more. I'm actually very confident in typing you INFP. It clearly wasn't Se/Ni in action here, there was clearly more Si than Ni going on, and there wasn't a lot of Se, which means I can eliminate ISFP.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, it seems you're an INFP. The Ne/Si working together that CognitiveLiberty has described is something I can also relate to, making me feel that I can affirm I am INxP further.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm far more inclined to say this is Se/Ni working over Ne/Si. Se works in matters of the sensory experience of the existing object in a raw unadulterated form. The patterns and images you see is when Ni abstracts the visual representation to a subjective idea of what it is you're seeing. I see much less Ne/Si in the majority of the transaction you describe. I will go far more with ISFP over INFP for this.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
To me what you were describing sounds more of a sensory approach, than intuition. The fact that you saw various things in the picture using the existing shapes and lines tells me this. I can't label myself some expert on all the functions, but as someone that uses Ne as my top function, I'll just let you in on my take of the things that would occur in my mind, and you can see if you relate to it or not.

Based on whatever picture I was looking at, I would be taking it ALL in, as a unified whole, which gives me a feeling or "environment". I wouldn't first begin looking at the shapes, lines, textures, or any of that. I do look at those things, but only after first processing this image in my mind from my first impression of it. Then, based on this whole first impression of the drawing, I would instantly start relating it to my own personal collection of memories and thoughts, and relate it to them in any way. Sometimes it can be a link created by a literal scene, a place, a metaphorical theme, etc. that the image reminds me of, or a link based on something within the picture like the tree itself. Basically, Ne looks at new information and processes it with everything else you already have in your data bank and forms new connections and understanding. Again, none of this thought process ever comes from seeing specific details of a picture. So, if that wasn't your first line of thinking when seeing that picture, I wouldn't say Ne was involved. But then again, it's my first function, so I don't expect you would use it so readily since you're identifying as IXFP and INFP uses it as their second function. Thinking about it, I'm actually curious now how an INFP would first approach a picture since they're similar to ENFPs but switched around.

But keep in mind that everyone can use any function, even if it's not in their stacking. It just wouldn't come natural for them if it isn't.

This is all to my understanding at least...

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Exercises like that have always been hard for me to understand.

There was one MBTI workshop where you were shown a styrofoam cup and had to describe it.

I can't imagine many people thinking more than "well, sir, it appears to be a beverage holder made from a fairly common insulating material" without a little effort but the expectation seemed to be that intuitors would skip that step and immediately start describing the process of making a bomb calorimeter or catalogue the unique properties that make it a good/bad sculpting material?

Yes, I still don't understand.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Oh wait, this was for typing advice. I don't think it's simple to deconstruct, but Ne/Si feels like a good response.

It's just that, even you noted that the relations happened after you already perceived the object as what it was. So really, how are preferences determined from these exercises?

j colour

MBTI Type
IXFP
Enneagram
4w5
So this is interesting to me since I got 2 N and 2 S . Si and Ni can be similar but are very different. Ni works from a warehouse of Ideas and Si works from a Warehouse of experiences. I feel you could argue both in this example, because they are objects, symbols, and ideas.

In regards to how you explain your Ne/Si would you say it is something like:

When I look at your picture Enthusiastic_Dreamer of the sun, bridge, water ect. it gives me the feeling it would be a cover on a puzzle Box ?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Se...for same reason given in the other thread.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
So this is interesting to me since I got 2 N and 2 S . Si and Ni can be similar but are very different. Ni works from a warehouse of Ideas and Si works from a Warehouse of experiences. I feel you could argue both in this example, because they are objects, symbols, and ideas.

In regards to how you explain your Ne/Si would you say it is something like:

When I look at your picture Enthusiastic_Dreamer of the sun, bridge, water ect. it gives me the feeling it would be a cover on a puzzle Box ?

With regards to Ne and how I use it, I would look at that image and describe it more as a theme or feeling, such as capturing a sense of purpose or destiny. And here's how I would've come to that conclusion. I would look at the color scheme, the tones, the shading, these all set the mood of the image. I would look at the main elements of the scene, like the bridge, the sun, the city in the distance, and the person. Then, I would bring them all together to form an environment, or, how all the individual pieces come together to represent a unified feeling or message. The key to understand here is, what I am doing is bringing these separate elements together and making connections between all of them, and finding a unifying thread, and that unifying "thread" is the feeling of purpose or destiny. Now, I know how I described this process, seems like it's some methodical process, but it isn't. All these thoughts are happening simultaneously and I would come to a conclusion like this almost instantly rather than sitting there analyzing the picture.

The way you seem to be describing the image is in a much more sensory approach by directly relating it to something you already know.

Here's a very simple example to also help illustrate this:
Dove.jpg

What do you think of when you see this image? Do you think of flight perhaps?? Do you think of freedom?? If you thought of flight, that is what the bird is literally doing, and is a sensory way to look at it. If you thought of freedom, that's looking at the bird in relation to the placement in the picture and thinking of it as a metaphor. You're attaching meaning, making a connection to it beyond the obvious, and that's Ne.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any further questions. Ne is my primary function so I know that one best and enjoy using it, but for trying to explain Se or Si, I'm less familiar with it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My opinion, in short was neither. It was Ne/Si working together. If you were to pick the one function really 'in action' here, it would be Si, but that would still be missing the point that it's both working together.

While it certainly wasn't Se at play, it wasn't pure Ne either. It seemed very much like Ne/Si. My type (INTP) shares the Ne/Si apparatus present in INFPs. I'll explain my idea of how I think it works.

I find this hard to explain, but bare with me. The 'database' of mental imagery I associate with Si. So you used Ne to take in information, this works in tandem with Si, meaning Ne/Si intuitively 'searches' to find what mental images are associated with it. A lot of what people associate with Ne involves Si. This is because Se is essentially incompatible with Si, so types that externally perceive with Ne are going to have Si somewhere. Ne scans the environment intuitively and associates it with Si based content.

These associations aren't arbitrary or random. The reason you saw the freemason symbol is that some part of the image would have at least been partially geometrically related to the symbol. A Se perceiver would focus on the image as a whole without an emphasis on finding associations. Ne breaks the image into associations, it detects there may be something in that outline. It then working with Si, finds what it can associate. The mental encoding of the masonic icon is Si, and the Ne-Si apparatus matches the outline as being associated with the icon.

If the reason you're asking this is because you're unsure of whether you're INFP or ISFP, the impression I got is an INFP. This is the stereotype/metaphor I use for the two types (this is only a stereotype and doesn't always apply). Both IxFPs are typically creative types. ISFP creativity could be thought of as 'a painter', the INFP creativity as 'the poet'.

I got the feeling you're quite a creative, poetic type. Granted my basis is only this post, but I'd guess your type as INFP. Imaginative Ne/Si apparatus.

In fact, thinking about it more. I'm actually very confident in typing you INFP. It clearly wasn't Se/Ni in action here, there was clearly more Si than Ni going on, and there wasn't a lot of Se, which means I can eliminate ISFP.

</Thread>

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You are literally describing what you see. Se

j colour

MBTI Type
IXFP
Enneagram
4w5
Thank you everybody for your answers I really appreciated all of them and you guys have helped me understand myself and others better.