• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ or INFP

B.Trizz1998

MBTI Type
???
Enneagram
5w6
Hello, everyone.

I apologize if you all find this question a bit redundant, but I have just gotten into the Myers-Briggs system, and as you can all see, am still confused about my type.

I have taken several online MBTI tests, and most of my results have came out as INFP. I was convinced for a while, but then I did some research upon the cognitive functions, and found out that I didn't seem to relate to Fi whatsoever, despite it supposedly being my dominant function.

The thing is, most of my opinions seem to be heavily reliant on the viewpoints of others, so I guess you could say that I am not much of an opinionated person. And even if I do form my own opinions, I find that I have a very hard time sticking with them when I'm around other people, as I always seem to readjust my own viewpoints to align with theirs, out of fear that it would danger our relationship if a conflict were to arise. And also because I'm usually too focused on making a good impression on others to express my own viewpoints, so I usually just end up going along with whatever they say, for the sake of keeping up the relationship. Based on what I have read, this seems to be really out-of-character for an INFP.

I have also read up a bit on Ni, INFJs' dominant function. I can roughly grasp the concept of the function, but still am a bit confused. Here are some of what I have observed about myself that might be related to it: whenever I set out to complete a task, I usually have a vision in my mind of what the end results should look like, and while the completed product more often than not does resemble the vision I had in mind, it usually turns out a little different from what I had expected, which can be quite frustrating to me. I also have a tendency to predict the future with all sorts of possibilities in mind (usually when it comes to events which I feel nervous or excited about, such as an upcoming presentation or performance), which might explain why I almost never seem to be fully living in the moment (inferior Se?). However, I do tend replay scenes from the past in my mind quite often too. My mind just always seem to be focused elsewhere other than the present, be it on the past, future or simply just daydreaming.

On the daydreaming part, random thoughts often seem to occur to me out of nowhere when I'm in that state. Though I have to be vaguely thinking of something that must have lead up to said thought. Then I have to "backtrack" and retrace my thought process to find out how I came to said conclusion.

Also, when writing an essay, I tend to find great difficulty in starting the opening statements. But once I have gotten past that step and have gotten the flow of it going, the ideas just seem to flow effortlessly, and suddenly I can't stop writing. I also seem to get certain "vibes" from certain words, so I tend to intuitively know which words to use when describing a particular scene in order to get the most accurate "essence" of said scene across to the reader. Though I don't know if these are things that INFJs are prone to or if it's just me.

Here are some things to take note of about me though, my environments tend to be quite disorganized, and am a huge procrastinator, usually because I'm so in my head and stuck in my thoughts, or simply just can't find the motivation to get a particular task completed. All of these traits seem to contradict the judging descriptions.

Whew, that turned out longer than I had expected! My sincerest thanks to everyone who had taken the time to read all of that:)

dog

MBTI Type
infp
"trying to avoid a conflict...trying to get along....for the sake of keeping up the relationship" seems out of character for an infp? ? Here lies the infp paradox (i think; i still learning). Promoting unity is perhaps one of the greatest goals of the infp....but i will at times divide when i see a major breach of what i see can threaten unity. ..and although it is invigorating to debate, in the end its absolutely exhausting. and when i win, i feel terrible for the person i just "beat". so yeah, sometimes we may act like a chameleon instead- to avoid the division... . i dont see a controversy though. you look like infp to me (but i havent learned all that te fi se ni stuff yet :( i'm sure others can help you out with that)

B.Trizz1998

MBTI Type
???
Enneagram
5w6
Hmm, yes, I can see how INFPs may also hold their tongues for the sake of avoiding conflict, but I had mainly wanted to point out how the basis of my opinions on most things seem to be reliant on the viewpoints shared by others. Take my opinion on Taylor Swift for example. I used to hold neutral feelings towards her, until one day, my mom started showing her disdain towards her, and ever since then, I've been having a really hard time holding a neutral opinion on her. It felt like I had somehow 'absorbed' my mom's opinion on her and now I seem to share her distaste. This is, however, just one example to show how I usually form my opinions. As far as I know, a hallmark of being an INFP, or being an Fi-Dom in general, is that they tend to form their own strong opinions on things based off of their personal values, and are likely to stick firmly to it despite the differing viewpoints of others. However, I just don't see this trait in myself, as I almost never have my own opinions on things in the first place. I used to think that me being against sexism(another example) is an indicator of me using Fi, but then I figured it's only after I had heard from the viewpoints of feminists that I became heavily against it, it's only after I had read their comments on it that I began to share their disgust towards sexism. I admit that I really had no strong feelings towards sexism prior to that.

Sorry if my perception of the functions are a bit off, as I am pretty new to the system. But this is mainly what I meant by "being out-of-character for an INFP", and it's really confusing me.

Thanks for your imput though, it is much appreciated:)

B.Trizz1998

MBTI Type
???
Enneagram
5w6
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that any possibilities aside from these two personality types are welcomed :)