• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFx? It's confusing.

watcherofthestars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know people are absolutely sick of the INFJ vs. INFP debate, and so my sincerest apologies on possibly annoying more people with this. I'm afraid I'm as stuck as stuck can be, and it's driving me up the wall because I can't seem to get a real answer.

I've spent days and days reading through functions article and forums in a desperation to get this sorted. I know all about the function stacks, etc. So, here's what I've come up with so far:

• When I was young, I tested as an INFP. However, when I got older, I consistently tested as an INFJ.
• I've taken the CelebrityTypes.com INFP or INFJ test, and scored 21% INFP and 79% INFJ.
• On Cognitive Functions tests I consistently score with Ni as my highest function, but tend to flip back and forth on whether or not Fi outweighs Fe. I'm definitely not an INTJ however.
• I'm a 4w5 on the Enneagram, so I think this may skew things a bit.

With that in mind, here's a questionnaire I grabbed from another thread. Hopefully, it will be useful.

1. What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
The whole Fi/Fe thing. I find I earnestly relate to both Feeling functions. I tend to be incredibly outwardly emotional. My face will constantly give away what I'm thinking, and I'm able to take the emotional temperature of the room in a heartbeat. I do show other Fe moments of laughing because other people are, and cultural awareness is key for me. I've lived in many other countries, and being polite in that culture is such a huge value to me. I'm also good at comforting people, I tend to know what to say in order to make them feel better.

I am first aware of what others are feeling most of the time, though occasionally I will mistake something. As I've gotten older, I'll see what people want from me, but actively refuse give it because it's incredibly exhausting to do so. Lately, I'm been becoming more and more "what I want" focused.

In short, I look more Fi because I'll choose to ignore what others want from me.

2. What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I yearn to fulfill a distinct purpose. I want to make an impact on the world, I want to reform and develop on a large scale. At the moment, I'm getting my certification in Counseling Psychology, and all roads lead to fulfilling that goal. To the point where my significant others sometimes feel set aside for my pursuit of purpose. I feel incredibly guilty in those moments, but at the same time, I don't want to give up my direction.

3. Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
The moment I felt the finest was when I leading the International Communications Team within the humanitarian organization in which I worked. I'll be honest: I enjoyed the status and acclaim as well as the ability to finally take my opinions and put them into action. There was much in the organization needed to change in order to continue on in a healthier manner, and it felt like there was a reason to be there when I was fixing those things.

I was also working as a mentor at that time. I'd weekly meet with students to help them process the hardships that come with humanitarian work overseas. It was my favorite thing in the world to watch them grow and thrive, and would sacrifice to get them where they needed to be in order to succeed.

4. What makes you feel inferior?
I feel as though I can't do as much as normal people. I have chronic fatigue, and it makes me feel lazy, selfish, and whiny. Life is an overwhelming loud and chaotic thing to me, and sometimes it seems like others handle it emotionally so much better than I do. I tend to lop emotions over the rims of myself and breakdown under too many demands at once. And then I get embarrassed and feel ashamed that I'm so emotionally volatile. I have to study myself constantly in order to understand why I feel the way I do and avoid shutdown. In all, it makes me feel incapable.

5. What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I consider how I feel, along with how it looks to others and how will affect it.

6. When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I want all of the control over the finished project. I really like things to be up to my standards.

7. Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
One of my favorite moments in recent years was when married friends of mine invited over another friend and myself to get snowed in. We got tipsy and went sledding. Then we all went back, played Scrabbled (in which I played 'boobs' and everyone had a good laugh), and had a lovely breakfast in the morning. I remember the camaraderie of it; it makes my heart glow a bit.

8. When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?
I research for a long period of time and then organize my thoughts in some sort of outline. And then I also like to watch others doing it, so I can study them.

9. How organized do you think of yourself as?
This is an odd question for me. Because when it comes to, say, the organization of my room, that's hopeless. I have limited energy and my room is not often inhabited by other people, so it just goes downhill very quickly (which just causes more chaos in my life). However, I'm extremely organized when it comes to things like event planning. Every detail is worked out and analyzed.

10. How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I think it depends on what we're discussing. In general though, I prefer theory over hard facts.

11. You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Ah, this one is hard for me, because I know I'm a 4w5 on the enneagram. "Myself" is this abstract ideal of myself I've created in my head, and I like to stay true to that vision. Up front though: I like to be included, I like to rally with people for "the cause." Being a part of something greater than myself is important to me, but I don't always like the sacrifice that comes along with that.

12. Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
If I try speak before thinking, I have to stop, recede into myself for a moment, fetch the words and descriptions I want, and then finish what I have to say. Brainstorming is like doing mental backflips and I hate it. That being said, I'm stupidly opinionated, and will just trumpet opinions all about the place. My favorite question is, "What do you think?" I will always have an answer. Also, I prefer one-on-one communication.

13. Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
Every time I've leaped without looking, it's been horrible disaster. I tend to take a long time to deliberate on how things will play out in the future. And no, actions don't speak louder than words.

14. It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
It really depends on how tired I am. I like planning things with people, but I want to have energy saved up for that event. If it's been a low-energy day, I'm all for going out! Favorite TV shows can wait. However, if I didn't plan for having any energy and I'm just done, then I won't go. More often than not though, I'll try and make it.

15. How do you act when you're stressed out?
There's always a physical symptom: I'll get grey hairs, blisters on the insides of my mouth, pick my fingernails down to nubs, or binge on sugar. Then I just have an emotional spaz out and lash out at the people closest to me. :/

16. What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
When people can't read others emotions, or don't even try; when they're not aware of others or make an effort to be kind or polite.

17. Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Psychology is one of my favorite topics – why we do what we do. I like sorting out emotions with others as well. In general though, I like talking about things I know a lot about.

18. What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
Catching up with technology and putting things back where "they belong." My version of cleaning is letting everything explode, and then cleaning it all thoroughly in a grand event in the rare moment I can focus.

19. How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
I tend to be described as sophisticated, modern, and elegant quite often. Well-spoken, witty, and fiery, though sometimes too serious. I'd say it's pretty accurate.

Things my friends would never say about me: energetic, mechanically-minded, traditional, fluffy.

20. You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Starting the day by orienting myself with a walk, finding balance in the silence. Taking a deep breath and attempting to get myself to focus and find peace. Then I'd probably piddle around in the internet. And top off the night by going out with a close friend or my fiance.

Many thank yous in advance if you're willing to help with this. I'm grateful for any help I can get.

EDIT: Possibly an INFJ in a NiTi loop?

Last edited:

summerdaze

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You seem pretty clearly INFJ to me.

Why do you think INFP? besides testing so when younger. If your issue is Fe vs Fi, everything in your answers reads Fe.

(On a more practical note, you seem to really want to be INFJ, so...why not just take it on as a type :D?)

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It okay to be confused with INFP vs INFJ. They are both intuitive feelers after all. You are definitely an Feeling type. One of your answers shown a disliking towards people who don't acknowledge other peoples emotions. Feeling dominant types are likely to show signs of both Fi and Fe. I think Fe as well - based on your answers you seem attuned to feelings outwardly, more affected/influenced by other people and typically expressive. However I didn't see anything related to dominant Ni. But it's your choice I guess.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
I know people are absolutely sick of the INFJ vs. INFP debate, and so my sincerest apologies on possibly annoying more people with this. I'm afraid I'm as stuck as stuck can be, and it's driving me up the wall because I can't seem to get a real answer.

I've spent days and days reading through functions article and forums in a desperation to get this sorted. I know all about the function stacks, etc. So, here's what I've come up with so far:

• When I was young, I tested as an INFP. However, when I got older, I consistently tested as an INFJ.
• I've taken the CelebrityTypes.com INFP or INFJ test, and scored 21% INFP and 79% INFJ.
• On Cognitive Functions tests I consistently score with Ni as my highest function, but tend to flip back and forth on whether or not Fi outweighs Fe. I'm definitely not an INTJ however.
• I'm a 4w5 on the Enneagram, so I think this may skew things a bit.

With that in mind, here's a questionnaire I grabbed from another thread. Hopefully, it will be useful.

1. What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
The whole Fi/Fe thing. I find I earnestly relate to both Feeling functions. I tend to be incredibly outwardly emotional. My face will constantly give away what I'm thinking, and I'm able to take the emotional temperature of the room in a heartbeat. I do show other Fe moments of laughing because other people are, and cultural awareness is key for me. I've lived in many other countries, and being polite in that culture is such a huge value to me. I'm also good at comforting people, I tend to know what to say in order to make them feel better.

I am first aware of what others are feeling most of the time, though occasionally I will mistake something. As I've gotten older, I'll see what people want from me, but actively refuse give it because it's incredibly exhausting to do so. Lately, I'm been becoming more and more "what I want" focused.

In short, I look more Fi because I'll choose to ignore what others want from me.

2. What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I yearn to fulfill a distinct purpose. I want to make an impact on the world, I want to reform and develop on a large scale. At the moment, I'm getting my certification in Counseling Psychology, and all roads lead to fulfilling that goal. To the point where my significant others sometimes feel set aside for my pursuit of purpose. I feel incredibly guilty in those moments, but at the same time, I don't want to give up my direction.

3. Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
The moment I felt the finest was when I leading the International Communications Team within the humanitarian organization in which I worked. I'll be honest: I enjoyed the status and acclaim as well as the ability to finally take my opinions and put them into action. There was much in the organization needed to change in order to continue on in a healthier manner, and it felt like there was a reason to be there when I was fixing those things.

I was also working as a mentor at that time. I'd weekly meet with students to help them process the hardships that come with humanitarian work overseas. It was my favorite thing in the world to watch them grow and thrive, and would sacrifice to get them where they needed to be in order to succeed.

4. What makes you feel inferior?
I feel as though I can't do as much as normal people. I have chronic fatigue, and it makes me feel lazy, selfish, and whiny. Life is an overwhelming loud and chaotic thing to me, and sometimes it seems like others handle it emotionally so much better than I do. I tend to lop emotions over the rims of myself and breakdown under too many demands at once. And then I get embarrassed and feel ashamed that I'm so emotionally volatile. I have to study myself constantly in order to understand why I feel the way I do and avoid shutdown. In all, it makes me feel incapable.

5. What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I consider how I feel, along with how it looks to others and how will affect it.

6. When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I want all of the control over the finished project. I really like things to be up to my standards.

7. Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
One of my favorite moments in recent years was when married friends of mine invited over another friend and myself to get snowed in. We got tipsy and went sledding. Then we all went back, played Scrabbled (in which I played 'boobs' and everyone had a good laugh), and had a lovely breakfast in the morning. I remember the camaraderie of it; it makes my heart glow a bit.

8. When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?
I research for a long period of time and then organize my thoughts in some sort of outline. And then I also like to watch others doing it, so I can study them.

9. How organized do you think of yourself as?
This is an odd question for me. Because when it comes to, say, the organization of my room, that's hopeless. I have limited energy and my room is not often inhabited by other people, so it just goes downhill very quickly (which just causes more chaos in my life). However, I'm extremely organized when it comes to things like event planning. Every detail is worked out and analyzed.

10. How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I think it depends on what we're discussing. In general though, I prefer theory over hard facts.

11. You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Ah, this one is hard for me, because I know I'm a 4w5 on the enneagram. "Myself" is this abstract ideal of myself I've created in my head, and I like to stay true to that vision. Up front though: I like to be included, I like to rally with people for "the cause." Being a part of something greater than myself is important to me, but I don't always like the sacrifice that comes along with that.

12. Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
If I try speak before thinking, I have to stop, recede into myself for a moment, fetch the words and descriptions I want, and then finish what I have to say. Brainstorming is like doing mental backflips and I hate it. That being said, I'm stupidly opinionated, and will just trumpet opinions all about the place. My favorite question is, "What do you think?" I will always have an answer. Also, I prefer one-on-one communication.

13. Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
Every time I've leaped without looking, it's been horrible disaster. I tend to take a long time to deliberate on how things will play out in the future. And no, actions don't speak louder than words.

14. It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
It really depends on how tired I am. I like planning things with people, but I want to have energy saved up for that event. If it's been a low-energy day, I'm all for going out! Favorite TV shows can wait. However, if I didn't plan for having any energy and I'm just done, then I won't go. More often than not though, I'll try and make it.

15. How do you act when you're stressed out?
There's always a physical symptom: I'll get grey hairs, blisters on the insides of my mouth, pick my fingernails down to nubs, or binge on sugar. Then I just have an emotional spaz out and lash out at the people closest to me. :/

16. What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
When people can't read others emotions, or don't even try; when they're not aware of others or make an effort to be kind or polite.

17. Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Psychology is one of my favorite topics – why we do what we do. I like sorting out emotions with others as well. In general though, I like talking about things I know a lot about.

18. What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
Catching up with technology and putting things back where "they belong." My version of cleaning is letting everything explode, and then cleaning it all thoroughly in a grand event in the rare moment I can focus.

19. How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
I tend to be described as sophisticated, modern, and elegant quite often. Well-spoken, witty, and fiery, though sometimes too serious. I'd say it's pretty accurate.

Things my friends would never say about me: energetic, mechanically-minded, traditional, fluffy.

20. You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Starting the day by orienting myself with a walk, finding balance in the silence. Taking a deep breath and attempting to get myself to focus and find peace. Then I'd probably piddle around in the internet. And top off the night by going out with a close friend or my fiance.

Many thank yous in advance if you're willing to help with this. I'm grateful for any help I can get.

EDIT: Possibly an INFJ in a NiTi loop?

I'm an Fi type and the type of people I dislike are people who pushed their values onto me, people who forced me to conform.

I have a strong need to be individualistic, I have a strong need to walk my own path. Whenever people try to force their expectations onto me, I will start feeling very angry on the inside, I will pretend to conform for awhile, and then after that I will start rebelling against them. My life belongs to me, and I don't allow anyone to control my life. And of course, I am the same way toward others, I don't force my values onto people, I treat everyone as individuals and I give people the freedom to be themselves.
I have strong values in life, and I strive to live by my values, even if I have to pay a huge price for it. Whenever I failed to live up to my values, I start feeling mad at myself. I also have a dislike of inauthenticity in people, I believe that we should be honest about our emotions at all times. If I am feeling sad, I won't pretend to be happy. I don't care how my emotions will affect the atmosphere around me, I believe in staying true to myself at all times. I also don't care about things like fitting in, I find the idea of fitting in very stupid. Imagine everybody has the same personality in this world, how boring would it be? It's the diverse personalities in people that makes them interesting, people should be allowed to be their unique selves at all times, nobody should be forced to conform.

This is how Fi works for me as an ISTJ.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The key issue once you realize that you are a NF is to determine if you lead with N or F.

Once there, there is no INFP vs INFJ since INFP leads with F and INFJ with N.

Alternatively, you can determine what kind of intuition or feeling you use.

That didn't work for me, since I use both Ns and both Fs.

But I am a N dom, so I really couldn't be a INFP, even with a very healthy Fi.

It was INFJ vs ENFP and I am not an ENFP....

Your answer and brainstorming looks Ni.

So your choice is INFJ or ENFJ, not INFJ vs INFP.

If you have stronger feeling than intuition, you are ENFJ, even if you reject part of yourself. I get that.....I rejecting feelings for many years and tested as a IXXX (very small preferences for ISTP), but I was always really a INFJ.

Best of luck

dog

MBTI Type
infp
infp according to keirsey . though it seems like Keirsey is falling out of favor. . but that's the only system i learned so far. I know a lot of Js. so idk, i think i have a good guess. .

dog

MBTI Type
infp
on 2nd thought maybe you are a J. . sorry, i dont know what i was thinking...... For eg, you seem more organized than i first thought. . your room may be messy. but clean rooms i heard was more a sign of SJ (not just J or S). But in general your life seems more organized.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Reading what you said gives you happiness, purpose and frustration in life was very interesting. For a start, what you've expressed here shows clear Fe. For example, you are clearly aware of the emotional atmosphere of your environment, sometimes focusing on other people at the expense of your own internal states. You also clearly feel a very strong need to merge with and raise up others, and this seems to motivate you in your choice of work and general life decisions. All up to me this is Fe of a strength that supervenes all else, and I begin to wonder if you are not in fact an ENFJ. An INFJ would still have moments of obliviousness to others, with Ni leading there is a detachment from the external. I really don't see you as a 4w5 either, but a 2w1. Your motivations and impulses don't seem to fit E4 very well.

Here is a good ENFJ description: ENFJ Personality (“The Protagonist”) | 16Personalities

(and from PerC...)

Type Two - “I will be secure if I'm loved, appreciated or respected.”
Basic Fear: Of being unwanted, unworthy of being loved
Basic Desire: To feel loved
Key Motivations: Want to be loved, to express their feelings for others, to be needed and appreciated, to get others to respond to them, to vindicate their claims about themselves.

I feel these themes recur throughout your post. ENFJ 2w1 so/sx. I called it first ;)