• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type Frustration. . .

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm not sure where to post this, but I'm just feeling frustrated about trying to find my type. The more I try, the more mixed results I'm getting. I really have no idea why I'm desperate to know what my type is. I keep getting told to take tests, but I get a lot of different results back on each of them, including the cognitive functions tests. It's because of the wording, and it seems more generalized than specific in some ways. If it's such an accurate test, then why do I keep getting different results? It's frustrating, and I have no idea where to go from here. I've been reading about each type, cognitive functions, watching youtube videos...but everyone explains it differently with convincing wording. I may read some sites and watch some videos that make me sound like an INFJ, then others that make me sound like an INFP, an INTJ, and even an ISFJ. I know that they're all supposed to be very different. . .somehow. But who's to say more types really don't exist and that Jung's theory is completely correct?

There are criticisms of the test, so perhaps there's error in that actual number of types and what they're comprised of as well. He was only a person and couldn't have all of the answers. Yet, I find myself still trying to type myself, and I still find myself unable to. Ugh. Another thing is. . .why am I so desperate to find out which category I fit into so a stereotype can be applied to me? Aren't there enough problems with stereotyping in the world already? Once I accept whatever combination of four letters I am, it's only going to make people in MBTI forums treat me differently according to my type, and if I'm too much on the idealistic side, possibly a lot of my ideas will be dismissed and I'll have no credibility. If I'm in the category known for emphasizing and valuing logic, accuracy, facts, etc., then I could be disregarded and ignored simply because there are so many that don't like human computers. Many don't realize there's still room for individuality and that just because a person fits into a certain MBTI type, it doesn't mean they match the stereotype verbatim.

I think the MBTI is only the beginning and the bare bones of what could become a much better personality test and theory if some psychologist out there dares to build upon the theory and expand the number of types. I don't always think it's possible to say a person has to be one way OR the other, a sensor OR an intuitive. I don't believe in such black-or-white thinking and feel that there's usually a lot more gray area. Rarely is something so black or white. So, where's the gray area in the MBTI? There isn't any. The requirement is that you must fit into one category or the other, but there are some things that I read that really has me convinced that I'm a combination of more than one type. I feel like a combination of INJF and INFP, as crazy as that sounds because of how different they supposedly are. Sometimes I find that I match the strengths most of the time in one type, but I won't match the weaknesses. . .but I'll match the weaknesses in another type instead. Maybe I'll have my husband take the MBTI for me answering the questions as to how he views me. The results may not be extremely accurate, but I'll perhaps get an idea of how I am perceived by others rather than how I think others perceive me. And yet, with all of this frustration. . .I still want to find my type. I must be a psychological masochist of some sort :D

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Another thing I just thought to add is that while Jung thought personalities could fit into just 15 categories (it's hard for me to think that over 7 billion people on the planet can fit into 15 categories) and that we would remain that personality for the rest of our lives, strengthening or weakening each of those letters, he makes it sound like it's so finalized. Yet, in the Behavioral theory of psychology, they feel that practically everything is learned, and if we've learned it, we can unlearn it, and learn new things. That expanded into the Cognitive-Behavioral theory with changing how we think will eventually result in a change in behavior. Well, I see validity in every theory of psychology. The Behaviorists and Cognitive-Behaviorists have very good points! So, take that back to Analytical psychology (Jung), where part of the emphasis is on the individual and finding their way to wholeness, etc....seems to contradict itself.

If there's so much individuality, how can so many people fit into 15 neat categories? I think there should be more. And expand further to include the behaviorist and cognitive-behaviorist theories since we really can learn new things and unlearn things (habits, points of view, outlook on life, etc.) that would inevitably impact our personality. That's why I think I'm having trouble typing myself. There's many of the weaknesses that I see in the types that I match the most that I've already focused on fixing to the point they don't apply to me, but I'm not perfect. I just have other weaknesses...and some of the weaknesses specific to certain types seem like they could be applied on a wider scale as well. I think the MBTI really needs to double their number of MBTI types to compensate for the weaknesses it has, and to be able to better type people who really don't neatly fall into one of 15 categories. If Jung's theory was completely correct, these problems with mistyping, not being able to find a type at all, etc., wouldn't exist.

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
That's right, there's 16 :D For some reason I keep thinking 15...everything by fives :D You're right :D

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=25424]Sunflower_Moon[/MENTION] you have certainly been working hard trying to get typed on this forum and the other one.
I'm wondering if it will help for anyone to type you though. You don't seem to accept the typing done by two psychologists, so how are you going to accept the typing done by random strangers on the internet?
From your posts in this thread you seem to think that people who share a type will have the same behaviours or will be the same. I'd just like to point out that sharing a personality type with someone just means that you have the same cognitive functions. It says something about your preferred way of perceiving and interacting with the world, but there are obviously a lot of other factors that go into making up a person, so two people of the same type could still seem quite different on the outside. In your post you seem to think that someone who is a sensor can't think in abstract terms or that an intuitive can't think in the concrete. As far as I know that's not correct, these are preferences, not exclusions. It's like being right or left handed, a right handed person can still use his left hand, but it would be draining to keep doing that because his preference is to use the right.
Anyway I am willing to type you in this thread. Please copy any questionnaires that you have completed on the other forum, into this thread.

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
[MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION] Thank you :) Yes, I'm really enjoying the MBTI overall though and think it's the closest thing to a great and accurate personality test, but still has some flaws. I'm looking around at as many forums as possible because overall, I like the other topics in the threads. . .much deeper and more interesting than Facebook, by far! It isn't that I don't trust the two psychologists, it's just that I think it has much more to do with not understanding the test, wording, the cognitive functions all the way because I feel I can fit in both in many ways. I've read so many examples online that seem to conflict, which is what lead me to question the psychologists. When I started doing the online tests, that's when I started getting inconsistent results, which is also what caused me to question my type. I do get INFJ and INFP the majority of the time though, but maybe I didn't consider whether the creator of some of these online MBTI tests, etc. didn't understand the terminology as well either, which could be causing mixed results? I think the internet has confused me more than anything in this issue, and the people who are in the forums seem to have a lot of knowledge with the ability to simplify things to a beginner.

I originally thought that the same type would have many of the similar behaviors, and so on, but the internet played into my idea on this issue as well :( I do think that each person within a group can be very different though, when I thought about it more. Maybe some are healthier than others, maybe some have developed some of the aspects more, and there certainly has to be room for individuality. Another thing is that I think I can see myself in the positives of two types, and the negatives of yet another type. Or, I can relate to one personality type a lot, however, not necessarily the negative aspects all the way. . .I never considered whether or not I've had those weaknesses in the past and overcame them. For example, I've read that INFJ's can stay in unhealthy relationships long enough, may not know how they feel but will know others, etc. I used to stay in unhealthy relationships too long until I finally realized it and put a stop to that pattern, so I won't be able to identify myself that way anymore. I'm overthinking it all :D Most of what I'm saying is mostly about not understanding the material.

The one questionnaire is really ridiculously long :D Are you sure you want me to still post it? I'm going to do other questionnaires, but I'll make sure they're shorter. Thank you for offering to help me! :)

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
[MENTION=10786]Swivelinglight[/MENTION] :D I don't think the MBTI is fake, because most people when typed correctly seem to think it has been the most accurate type of personality test they've taken. It's just that I somehow think more types, etc. are needed because of so much mistyping.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=25424]Sunflower_Moon[/MENTION] two people can have very different types and still have the same behaviours. For example an SP type could be raised by SJ parents and instilled with SJ values, so he might behave on the outside like an SJ when it's important enough. What will be different between two different types with the same behaviours is their motivations, which are not that obvious from the outside. So if you are judging types simply based on behaviour then it could get confusing.

Yes I want all questionnaires, I want as much information as possible and I will also be asking you more questions after I have read all the information. So don't worry about overwhelming me with lots of info. :)

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Okay thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense and isn't as categorized as the test sounds! I'm not sure if certain life events impact typing, but just in case, there are some things that could effect it possibly. I had PTSD (but overcame it) from sexual abuse when I was young, my mother has borderline personality disorder (very controlling...and I was very compliant mostly), and I excommunicated with her a little over 2.5 years ago after about 30 years of emotional abuse. I considered my paternal grandparents to be like parents to me, and we're extremely close. There was also physical abuse on and off from one of her boyfriends for four years. I won't go into detail about those, but I have overcome them and they have given me a much softer, kinder few of the world somehow in terms of empathy, wanting to help others, etc. Anyway, here's the first questionnaire that is crazy-long, but I wanted to write as much information as possible just in case it was needed. I really appreciate your help! I'll go fill out some other questionnaires, but make I'll make them shorter.

I've taken the MBTI twice, five years apart at a therapist's office, and I got INFJ each time. I never bothered learning about it at the time, but now since I've started doing these tests online, I've become very interested in the types. I'm filing out any and all questionnaires that I can find in this forum. I found the link to an old questionnaire (it appears it was outdated and has since been replaced with an updated one) in a sticky post in the forum, but I'll warn you. . .my answers are ridiculously long. I mean, ridiculously to the point I'm embarrassed. I'm really sorry about it, but I feel that I got the most information out that I needed to, and all other questionnaires after this one will be of a reasonable length. Please be patient with me :D

Questionnaire -

1.*When working on a project where do you place your emphasis? the process of putting it together? or the final product? (Do you experiment with your perspectives to create ideas?

I first start with the final product and then think of the steps that could make it happen. For example, I like to write (poetry and novels). When I write a novel, the entire story comes to my mind in it's complete form, like a movie rather than starting to think of the beginning, or pieces of it that I'd fit together. Once I have the entire idea of the novel, then I'll begin to write it and plan it as I go along so that it supports the final story. I do the same with any type of paper (essays, research papers) in my classes...the final paper how I want it comes to me, and then I go back and think of the steps to make it happen.

2.*Are you a realist? Are you more of a no nonsense type of person? (I find these people like to call bullshit on everything)

I'm not a no-nonsense type of person, but with being a realist, it depends on the situation. I don't necessarily believe in being only optimistic or pessimistic, but some situations warrant it, while it's better to be optimistic or pessimistic in other situations. Reading back over what I said, I guess I'm a realist to a degree, but I love to talk about ideas, opinions, theories, concepts, etc.

3.*Would you say you make decisions quickly? or do you take a while coming to a conclusion, because you hope you're not missing some vital information that will change your mind?

It depends on the situation. If it's something I have experience with in the past, then I rely on that to help me make my decisions, which helps me make decisions fast(er) than I normally would. If it's a new concept, no, I like to think about it for a while, consider the different options and possible outcomes. With the new concepts, I'll actually try to find information about it if it's an important issue that could result in any type of bodily harm, health effects, death, etc. so that I won't hurt myself or anyone else. However, for ethical or opinion-related, or less important types of decisions that isn't about life or death, safety, etc., again, I like to think about it for a while because I always consider what is equal for everyone (including myself) and how my decision will impact others.

4.*Do you ever experience nostalgia? For instance being able to completely remember a mood of a past experience/time?

Absolutely!! I can do this even all the way back to an experience I had when I was two years old, but I'm able to do this for actually any age. I feel that sometimes I can also somehow apply this to time periods from before I was born and somehow have great interest in, such as the 60's and 70's...I'm not into drugs, but I love music from that era, understand the general feel and attitude of the era, I can relate to people from that time, and I liked the healthy aspects of that era (most of the era wasn't healthy, I admit) such as the shift in focus to equality, freedom, love, peace, but at the same time, I'm not a hippie (and while I think about these type of topics a lot and imagine how the world would be different if these were possible, I know that it won't actually happen). My favorite music is from that era...I LOVE the meaning behind the songs that promoted the aspects I mentioned above, and I loved how they used music and the lyrics for protesting...lyrics and music had more substance (I like meaning).

5.*Are you of the rebellious sort? The sort who rebels for no reason other than to rebel against authority?

I don't rebel without a reason, however, I will rebel if there's a reason. I won't normally go along with the crowd internally with my beliefs, and I'll write about my true feelings. It depends on my level of comfort with the people involved as to whether or not I ever vocalize my feelings though. . .if the person is very hostile, arrogant, rude, talks too loud like they want to argue instead of discuss, then I'll stay quiet to avoid the issue from escalating. However, I try to avoid hanging around people like this at almost all costs because it seems they're bent on controlling the other person's thoughts, beliefs, etc. . .I will rebel if I feel manipulated or controlled. Otherwise, I'm pretty peaceful and easy going. I need a cause to rebel...religious intolerance, racism, hate, someone bullying another person, some type of exclusion of a group or individual, etc.

6.*When watching a film and critiquing it? Do you critique it based on details in the film, for instance on how you thought a certain portion of it was un-realistic (or something along those lines) or based on the idea or point they were trying to get across/how well they got it across? (It can be a combination of both sometimes too)

Generally, I critique the idea or point because I feel that even fiction can make people think, and it may have effect on people. I love movies that are emotional, stories of overcoming the odds, historical fiction, movies that that some moral or message they're trying to get across (such as how the Native Americans were treated). I like when they really try to feel like you're experiencing the movie, feel empathy and/or sympathy for the characters, and still impact me or make me think after the movie is over. For example, when I watched Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, or even Dances With Wolves, I felt like I could experience the movies as they were happening because they were done so well. I'd cry, jump, get angry, etc., or if someone got injured, I'd jump and grab that part of my body, or cover my face and look away (I do that with any movie). But when those movies were over, it made me want to learn about how Native Americans were treated in that time (I know Dances with Wolves was fiction, but it stimulated my interest). That's what a lot of people don't understand about me. Many will say I'm very intelligent and seem to know everything (I don't), etc., but it's because something really emotional sparks the interest for me to learn about them...usually something about the human condition, inequality, injustice, etc. If a movie stimulates that response in me, their point was very successful. I generally don't critique the details of the film though.

7.*When debating with others, do you ever get the feeling or state for that matter, that you can see where your opponent is coming from? For instance I have gotten into arguments over things I honestly don't believe (or could care less if it were true), but it all started when someone would tell me about a certain topic and how this certain stance is stupid.

Absolutely. Sometimes they've changed my point of view, or modified it, but not against my will where I felt they manipulated me. I generally don't like debates, though I've found myself in them plenty of times (even though I'm not argumentative) because either the person was rude, hostile, name-called and insulted, and/or invalidating toward me and/or others and showed little to no tolerance toward my or another person's point of view. I don't feel everyone has to believe the same, but I do not feel it's okay for one to force their view on another and dehumanize them to the point they can be so insulting, hostile, mean, invalidating, etc. to the other. At least agree to disagree and be repectful. It isn't the issue that will make me argue, but rather how tolerant and respectful the person is toward others. The biggest example of this is any religious discussion that turns into a debate where one tries to force his/her religion on another and invalidates the other person's religion and dehumanizes and attacks them when they refuse to convert. I feel, to each their own because some topics (such as religion) are subjective or is a matter of cultural beliefs, etc. with no way to really prove if it's real or not. Even if it's real, I feel it's important that even though someone else may be wrong, it's a matter of being respectful and a good person, and keeping peace, to respect the other person.

8.*Do you notice symbols in the world, do you ever try and wrap the symbol back to an idea that you believe?

Yes, but I can't say I do in terms of the illuminati or anything like that because I'm not a believer of the vast majority of conspiracy theories. I believe conspiracies exist, but some are. . .eh. . .a little too much for me, and I get the feeling some of it's based on paranoia.

9.*Are you hurt by criticisms? Do you get personally offended when people try and criticize you? or are you thick skinned?

It depends on the type of criticism and the intention behind it, and how they approach me with it. If it's constructive criticism and the person is kind to me, not rude or insulting, and is respectful to me overall, I can take the criticism well because I feel it's coming from a place of love and concern. Other types of criticism that are just blunt statements with harsh body language and/or tone of voice, and depending on the words they use, I can get hurt and/or offended by it. I think some people see me as weak because I'm quiet and not afraid to really talk about my opinions and feelings (only if asked, or if I feel comfortable), while others view me as strong and brave. The latter tend to think that way of me because they got close enough to learn more about me and the things I've been through, overcame, and still came out as a good person wanting to help others, etc. I'd like to think I'm thick-skinned overall, though I'm not afraid of talking about my opinions, ideas, and emotions around certain types of people and circumstances.

10.*Say for example your learning about cameras in school, would you be more inclined to go home right away and read a whole shit load on cameras so you feel confident in your knowledge of cameras? or would you feel perfectly comfortable when the teacher calls on people to come try it out, to just hop up there and start using it?

I'd probably read about it. . .but also watch a bunch of YouTube videos on the topic as well. I wouldn't want to be the student called up and have no clue what to do...embarrassing!

11.*When you are out do you worry about how people will interpret any action you take? (sort of in a seinfeld sort of way, where they over analyze actions people make, trying to find their true motivation) Do you feel a sort of pressure from this?

The majority of the time, no. Unless I was coming out of a dressing room in a store with a bikini on, but that'll never happen! Only sometimes, or in certain situations, such as when I'm in a room with people who like to gossip, judge, are two-faced (they don't know that I know they're that way), or have any type of strained relationship with them because of how they treat me.

12.*In a classroom setting do you ever find yourself helping other people out with projects or homework when you see their struggling? Do you do this to make yourself feel more comfortable?

Yes, I help people when I notice, but usually they would come to me and ask for help since I'm horrible at initiating conversations. It has to be a really good day for me, or an established friendship I trust, for me to initiate conversation. I don't do it to make myself feel better, I just want them to learn the material so they can understand and do well. . .and also because the material being learned is crucial since it will impact the lives of others when that student/friend will one day be a licensed mental health counselor. At the same time, the person will be really annoying to me (yet I'll still help. . .most of the time) if they're asking me a million questions (especially during a lecture) that shows that the reason they don't understand is because they didn't do any studying at all and don't pay attention in class.

13.*Do you find yourself ranting to your friends about how a certain something could have been done way easier? Or how someone went about doing something (anything like a project,work,etc.) was really stupid and you could have done it way better and in a more simple fashion?

Sometimes, but I normally like to see the different ideas that people have to reach the same conclusion. . .people are interesting. While some of them may pay way too much attention to detail or go way off track and miss the point in the end, there's plenty of people that also impress me with their ideas. However, I will not rant to anyone (though I will in my mind) if I didn't really like their project or presentation. Instead, I tend to daydream or go into a trance, or use selective attention/hearing if it's that boring. If it's bad, don't really say anything, but if it's good, I'll praise them and give them my full attention.

14.*How does your average day go in general?

Wake up (not a morning person), eat breakfast, do some meditating, do some yoga at least 2-3 times per week, read messages online, take a shower, read or study (I don't work because I'm studying for my master's, which takes up the majority of my time in general), get ready and go to class after I eat lunch, sing the entire way to a CD while driving to class (but stop if I think someone sees me), sit through class, drive back home doing the same thing I did while driving on the way), take my vitamins, eat dinner, study until 2-3 a.m. (my husband usually has the TV on for part of this time until he goes to bed, and I halfway pay attention to the shows), brush my teeth, wash my face, go to bed, and repeat. Saturdays, grocery shopping and going out with my husband. This isn't an exact schedule, and it changes, but overall this is what it's like because I'm a student.

15.*What things do you value the most?

I value a lot of ethical/moral things...love, equality, respect, tolerance, empathy, sympathy, caring for others, loyalty, trust, warmth, nature, animals, education, helping others, people, music (singing, learning guitar), meditating, peace, family, freedom (not only as a nation or as a people as a whole throughout the world, but also my own personal freedom), etc. I'm not materialistic at all though.

16.*What things regularly bug you?

Rude, hostile, arrogant people, bullies, ampathy, liars, repitition with no purpose, racists, religious intolerance, war, materialisim, selfishness, greed, people judging others quickly and negatively, controlling people, injustice, hate, inconsiderate people, people who think they're superior to others, abuse, people who don't discipline their children enough (or too much), people who invalidate others and their feelings (people who are on the happy pill 100% of the time and want to force it on others, and are intolerant of anyone who isn't afraid to experiene all of their feelings, both good and bad, in order to remain genuine to themselves...but not emo). . .things along those lines.

17.*What do you value most in other people and what qualities do you find most repulsive in others?

What I value the most in people is the opposite of everything I wrote in the previous question (saves space!), and the qualities that I find repulsive are the same things I mentioned in the previous question.

18.*How do you evaluate people in general?

I evaluate people by how they treat me and others. I don't care about how they look, their interests (as long as they aren't hurting anyone or themselves), their sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, religion, gender, age, etc. I care about whether or not they're a good person and how they treat others. Otherwise, I can get along with almost everyone as long as they're respectful, empathetic, caring, considerate, etc.

19.*How do you arrive at your decisions?

Wow. . .a balance between how I feel and facts. . .though I listen to gut feelings if they're very strong. An example of this would be that I don't believe in drinking during pregnancy no matter what any studies show because if how many drinks I'm able to handle has to do with my bodyweight, etc., then I know that a developing baby wouldn't have the bodyweight to possibly handle one. Overall, it's a combination of what I feel (instinct, etc.), information/facts, but also how my decisions will impact myself and others (for example, if that baby was born with problems because I drank, then I'd never be able to forgive myself). I give the consideration to others that I would hope they'd have for me. An example of when I'd listen to studies or a fact over my feelings, or advice from a woman from an earlier era, is what position I'd allow my child (if I had one) to sleep in as a baby. They may insist on the baby sleeping on it's back or side, while studies showed a 50% decrease in deaths from SIDS when babies are placed on their backs to sleep. In that case, I'd listen to the studies and statistics...but I'm not a human computer.

20.*What factors are you most likely to pay attention to when deciding on things?

How it will impact myself and others overall. Pros and cons. User/buyer reviews if it's a product. Whether or not I need it. Price (I'm not materialistic, so I can't see spending $200 on a handbag, for example, or hundreds of dollars on one pair of shoes). Quality. If it supports my morals and values.

The message was too long to submit the rest, so I'll include the rest in the next post.

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
21.blessAny peculiarities that you have noticed about your personality?

I'm extremely against controlling people, and people who are arrogant, hostile, judgmental, exclude or dislike certain groups, races, religions, etc. I feel that I'm much more focused on equality and consideration of others to the point I've been called too idealistic...but the don't realize that I know my thoughts aren't necessarily realistic, it's just nice to have these ideas for something to think about, keep myself human instead of hardening myself, etc. Other things...I feel like an ambivert. I've had precognitive dreams before, though I will not call myself psychic. . .I'd call it a collective conscious, etc. I can also be a lucid dreamer. I explain myself (in writing) too much. I've stayed in unhealthy, emotionally abusive relationships for too long (mother and her side of the family). However, when I finally learned and corrected it, excommunicated, I have no regret and no desire to go back or fall into that pattern again. I'm too hard on myself. I think I'm an empath. I've read about it through the years and feel I experience those things, but not to the extreme extent. When I see a funeral procession while driving, I end up crying or getting very teary eyed. If I see a bad accident, I feel anxiety, fear, a lot of worry, I feel sick to my stomach and want to cry, but end up saying a prayer hoping they will be okay. I can be shy until I get to know someone, but sometimes I'm not...it's also a matter of not initiating conversations because I'm horrible at small-talk, but like to talk about things with substance. I still like my time alone, however to recharge, that's the main reason I think I'm an introvert. I'm more passive face-to-face, unless my buttons are pushed way too far (takes a lot), but I am assertive through writing. I write better than I can verbalize. I like to write poetry and books. Lyrics to music, etc. are very important to me as well as people being genuine. . .I'm not apt to trust or try to get to know someone who I feel isn't being genuine. I can struggle with anxiety and depression at times. My handwriting is very neat and fancy. . .anyone in public who sees it comments on it and calls it either “perfect”, “calligraphy”, or “it should be a font”. Most of my teachers in my university mention my handwriting in front of the class. I do not adhere to organized religion, but I'm not atheist. I just don't really believe in dogma because, again, my focus on equality...I feel by believing in one religion and being member of it, I'm saying the other religions aren't true. Each religion thinks they're the one true religion, so the nature of organized religion seems to aim that way. My beliefs are in a higher power, but consist along the lines of a liberal quaker, a unitarian universalist, and some Native American religions...but I don't adhere to one. I value advice from others if it's coming from a place of love, doesn't completely disregard facts (but doesn't have to be based solely on them either), but I will reject it if I feel the person is being manipulative or controlling just to get their way. I have a good sense of humor. I prefer historical fiction, comedy, romantic comedies, autobiographies, documentaries, biographies (movies). I'm really not afraid to write about my opinions or emotions, and I can do the same verbally if asked (but more trouble and not as good as writing). Being misunderstood and misinterpreted bothers me a lot...it doesn't anger me, but frustrates me because people take it the wrong way (negatively), and I've been criticized or chewed out in the past as a result. When I apologized and tried to explain, they weren't open to my explanation or my apology and thought I was only trying to cover up what I meant to get out of it because I got caught. . .and that wasn't true. . . I feel like the negative motivations and behaviors they see in others are applied to me. It frustrates me that they can't see who I really am, which is one reason I write a book for every little concept. I come across as “it's all about me”, but that isn't what I am like or intending at all. I just use myself as a frame of reference and my experiences to relate to others because I don't like to ask a ton of questions to people. . .I feel it's intrusive to do that. What I say is related to the topic the person is talking about though, and it's my way of demonstrating empathy by trying to convey that I understand or have felt what they have, or are. I listen to what they say, imagine myself in their situation (put myself in their shoes) so strongly until I feel like I can feel what they're feeling. It's a way for me to let them know they're not alone.

22.blessAnything that makes you stand out from other people that you know?

People say I'm really nice, sometimes too nice. They've told me I'm interesting to talk to, intelligent, and I have people come to me for advice. Most people tell me that I'll do great as a mental health counselor (I'm studying that), and they'll open up to me about the most personal details of their lives (abuse experiences, etc). People seem to automatically trust me. People think I give good advice. I do a lot of reflection. . .teachers and advisers have told me that. I apologize a lot for trivial things in public, even if I'm not at fault. When it comes to eating meat, I don't waste any of it because I remember that something died for me to be healthy and live. . .otherwise, I'd be vegan :D I have a great memory and I'm good at finding the needle in the haystack, if needed (my husband always asks me to find things he has lost around our home, and I find it within a couple of minutes).

23.blessWhat do you yourself think are your strengths and weaknesses?

Weaknesses...I can't initiate conversations, I'm not as good verbally as I am writing. I'm too hard on myself. I have a big heart and value my empathy and not being afraid to express my feelings. I like caring about others and adhering to my morals, values, etc. (morals, equality, etc.). I like having a good memory, and my ability to overcome my struggles. Another weakness...most of what I write isn't short—it seems like I can write a book about anything. Maybe that's a neutral trait.

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Another questionnaire:

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I keep getting mixed results with online tests, but I think a lot of it may also have to do with my understanding (or confusion, actually) of the types, cognitive functions, etc. I noticed that I shared characteristics with other types, such as INFP, but I still shared a lot with INFJ, and I felt split. Many of the weaknesses in the one I have weren't really weaknesses I have, but I would share weaknesses from other types. It could easily just be my lack of understanding of the tests, and I think I expected to some degree to fit neatly into a type when I shouldn't have.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

I yearn for several things, but some are to be understood rather than to be misinterpreted or misunderstood a lot. I also yearn for things that are idealistic, but I recognize they're idealistic, such as peace and equality for people. I also yearn to help people in a significant way...I'm studying for a master's in mental health counseling, and I'd like to specialize in helping victims of different types of abuse and trauma. The reason for yearning to help people in this way is because I had been through abuse and trauma, but I got the help and overcame it. I had two therapists (one was an intern), and it was the intern that was the most effective. Why? Because it turned out that she had been abused when she was young, and she triggered during a session, cried a little (just a few tears) and had to excuse herself for a moment. Many look down on that and consider it unprofessional, but I really liked her because she was genuine, and I found I could really relate to her more than the other therapist who hadn't been through abuse. I remember my struggle, depression, etc. with those feelings and feeling really alone. I wanted to talk to some people about it, but I was always told to "forget about it", "why do you want to remember those things?", "move on", and they thought I chose to have those memories. Those things are considered victim blaming, even retraumatization. When I did heal, I understood the impact that therapist had on me, and I also connected with other victims in a type of support group, and abuse victims tend to come to me to talk to me about their experiences, feeling I'll do great in that career area. The thing is, I understand people who have been through abuse and trauma, and I don't want them to feel what I had to go through. I understand how important it is and how much quicker the healing process moves along when someone listens and really understands them and the struggles on a personal level without having to put every little thing into words. I made sure I took care of my past first so I'll be competent, and I'd like to take that negative experience and turn it into something positive and help others in that area. I feel there's a reason for everything that happens, whether we know it or not at the time, and perhaps that's part of why I went through what I did, so I could help others.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

Hard question. One time was when I excommunicated my mother and her side of the family. It was years of emotional abuse from her, a repeating family pattern (I broke the cycle though), etc. I had been controlled to the point I felt like I was an extension of my mother, where I had to say, think, do, etc. as my mother did, even as an adult. There was no talking to her because she was like a dictator, even trying to correct her at times gently would end up in an argument, or her raising her voice, taking over, ranting, belittling or invalidating me in some way, so I learned to just say nothing. When I associated with my mother, I felt dead, depressed, stressed, walking on eggshells, tense, like a child, suffocating, angry, frustrated because I knew it wasn't normal. I felt so much freedom after I left, and I could finally be myself, be in control over my own life, be happy, calm, peace, be an adult, make my own choices, not have to worry about being belittled and invalidated. It was then that I started to learn to love and accept myself. I hate feeling like I'm manipulated, controlled, invalid, or an extension of someone else. Another time I was happy (still), is when I really get in the right head space with writing (poetry, novels, etc.). . .I get to just write the movie in my head (the stories come to me complete, and I just write them).

4) What makes you feel inferior?

People who are really social and seem to know everyone on a friendship basis. I'm not into popularity contests, but I wish I was more social and could make friends easily, but the main thing that holds me back is the inability to really do small talk or initiate conversations. Also, when people start giving me orders and acting controlling around me, or a few try to make me feel stupid or railroad me to get their way (the majority of people who know me aren't like this).

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I look at all of those things equally. I definitely think of how people will feel, but I won't ignore facts. If someone is wrong, I will correct them gently, but also compliment them. I feel it's all in how I approach someone in how they respond to me. If they feel validated, respected, cared about, etc. then they tend to respond well. If I ignore facts, an idea can be too idealistic and not work. I also consider how I feel and my morals because if it goes against my morals or a gut feeling, I won't do it. I also look at the pros and cons.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

My emphasis is on the final product or outcome. I'm not sure if this question is related to focusing on the process and details or the final result, but I tend to first focus on the final result, but then I like to go back and see how that final result is reached so I can understand it. With working on a project, I like to work alone (control over the outcome), or in a small group sometimes (shared control over the outcome).

7) Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
I had a lot of fun with my husband when we went to Mosquito Bay (not as bad as it sounds) in Vieques, Puerto Rico. It was a biobay with glowing plankton that we got to swim in one night. With every slight movement we made in the water, or even stomping on the floor of the boat, a turquoise aura would appear. There were also wild horses on the island, a boat ride we took to go there (I LOVE being on boats), the beach...I felt the same energy for that place, if not better, that people typically feel at the beach.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?
Anything pertaining to writing and expressing my feelings, ideas, opinions, etc. through it. I'm also a visual learner, so anything with watching videos, reading, etc. is more natural for me as well as thinking about it for a while. I like to learn as much as possible about it.

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?
My surroundings...semi organized. I used to be a horrible mess, but it was an organized mess where I could find anything in it. Now that I'm getting older, I'm getting much better with organization.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Both. First I like to understand the principles behind it and learn about it, but then I look for information to see if that idea can be supported. That's for ideas pertaining to tasks and things I must accomplish in the real world (assignments in class, or professional, or if it has to do with health, etc.). Ideas that I get, such as when I think about life, the human condition, injustices, how the world an be improved...the more abstract concepts, opinions, etc., I tend to allow myself to be at least entertained by them and develop them first, and I may write my opinion about them and share them with others in a blog if I can find information to support it. Sometimes my ideas are too idealistic, but I'm aware of it and don't expect them to come true. These are more for entertaining myself, meditating, etc., but I would by no means say that they could definitely come true, etc.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Yes. Absolutely.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I think before speaking, and I communicate better through writing than verbally. I prefer one-on-one communication, but small groups can be okay if I feel comfortable with them.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I like to know where I'm jumping before I'm leaping because I feel if a decision is made too quickly, it leaves too much room for mistakes. I feel that action and words mean a lot, but people should practice what they preach. If they don't have the resources (money, etc.) to put their ideas and beliefs to action, then their words do count because not everyone has the opportunity to turn ideas and beliefs into action. I'd at least like to know their heart is in the right place, but they can at least show it through their character and how they treat others.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
It depends where they want to go. If it's to a club, no. If it's to a movie or out to dinner, I'll go. If it's raining, I'll stay home. It also depends how formal or dressy it is because I like to be casual, but not frumpy, most of the time.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I shake, stomach gets upset, may have a hard time concentrating, I catastrophize at times, get angry, but I can also take a break and listen to music, sing, write, practice my guitar to relax. I've started meditating in the last few weeks. I may have insomnia for a night or two because I can't stop thinking of the issue.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Hostility, if they're controlling, manipulative, invalidating, racist or intolerant/hateful of other demographics and groups, including religions, apathetic, argumentative, inconsiderate, repetitive, their way or the highway, people who think they're superior to others and/or holier than thou, liars, gossipers, materialistic, people who judge others for their appearance, socioeconomic status, etc.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Yes. I like talking about ideas, even if they're idealistic. . .all ideas serve a purpose. Even if they are idealistic, I can at least tell if their heart is in the right place and what they value, morals, etc. by those ideas. I also like talking about current events, psychology and philosophy, health and medicine, equality/inequality, injustice, the human condition, politics, the issues in the world, science, religion and spirituality, plans for the future, life stories and struggles, the environment, nutrition, etc.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
Materialism, money, judging others by their appearance and weight, etc. I'm not saying I don't have any of those things, I just don't think those things are a priority and I wouldn't be heartbroken without them. For example, I may take care of my appearance, but that isn't WHO I am. I don't like anything that's petty or shallow. . .things along those lines.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
I can come off as a know-it-all and like it's all about me, but that's wrong. I don't know everything, but I like conversation. If there's something I know that can help them, I'll tell them. I don't try to make everything about myself, but I use myself as a frame of reference. . .I don't like asking a lot of questions because I feel like I'm intruding. That, and I haven't had to ask many questions because I've understood them. It's a way I am able to relate to others, by tapping into their feelings through or with my own. I like to let them know I understand and care. Others think I'm very quiet. . .but my close friends and family (dad's side and husband and his family) know that I'm not usually so shy...I'm an ambivert. I can be goofy and have a good sense of humor, and talk to them. Most think I'm smart and insightful and ask me for advice. Most also think I'm overall warm, caring, etc.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing? singing, dancing, writing, practicing guitar, reading, meditating, yoga, cooking, take a nice bath, sometimes go shopping, listen to music.

Jaguar

I see these "questionnaires" all the time. Who on earth keeps creating them? Type-sorting isn't determined by " What do you think of Uncle Joe's blue socks?" ;)

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=25424]Sunflower_Moon[/MENTION] here are some questions for you. Please elaborate in your answers.

I love movies that are emotional, stories of overcoming the odds, historical fiction, movies that that some moral or message they're trying to get across (such as how the Native Americans were treated).
What is it about the idea of "overcoming the odds" that you enjoy?

16.*What things regularly bug you?

Rude, hostile, arrogant people, bullies, ampathy, liars, repitition with no purpose, racists, religious intolerance, war, materialisim, selfishness, greed, people judging others quickly and negatively, controlling people, injustice, hate, inconsiderate people, people who think they're superior to others, abuse, people who don't discipline their children enough (or too much), people who invalidate others and their feelings (people who are on the happy pill 100% of the time and want to force it on others, and are intolerant of anyone who isn't afraid to experiene all of their feelings, both good and bad, in order to remain genuine to themselves...but not emo). . .things along those lines.
Why is it a problem if people don't discipline their children enough?

I still like my time alone, however to recharge, that's the main reason I think I'm an introvert.
What activity most energizes you when you are alone and recharging?

I'm not apt to trust or try to get to know someone who I feel isn't being genuine.
What does "being genuine" mean to you?

I also yearn to help people in a significant way
Tell us more about yearning to help people in a significant way.

Another time I was happy (still), is when I really get in the right head space with writing (poetry, novels, etc.). . .I get to just write the movie in my head (the stories come to me complete, and I just write them).
Tell us more about this head space.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

People who are really social and seem to know everyone on a friendship basis. I'm not into popularity contests, but I wish I was more social and could make friends easily, but the main thing that holds me back is the inability to really do small talk or initiate conversations. Also, when people start giving me orders and acting controlling around me, or a few try to make me feel stupid or railroad me to get their way (the majority of people who know me aren't like this).
Why is it bad to not know everyone on a friendship basis?

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Both. First I like to understand the principles behind it and learn about it, but then I look for information to see if that idea can be supported. That's for ideas pertaining to tasks and things I must accomplish in the real world (assignments in class, or professional, or if it has to do with health, etc.). Ideas that I get, such as when I think about life, the human condition, injustices, how the world an be improved...the more abstract concepts, opinions, etc., I tend to allow myself to be at least entertained by them and develop them first, and I may write my opinion about them and share them with others in a blog if I can find information to support it. Sometimes my ideas are too idealistic, but I'm aware of it and don't expect them to come true. These are more for entertaining myself, meditating, etc., but I would by no means say that they could definitely come true, etc.
Tell us more about developing your abstract concepts.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
I can come off as a know-it-all and like it's all about me, but that's wrong. I don't know everything, but I like conversation. If there's something I know that can help them, I'll tell them. I don't try to make everything about myself, but I use myself as a frame of reference. . .I don't like asking a lot of questions because I feel like I'm intruding. That, and I haven't had to ask many questions because I've understood them. It's a way I am able to relate to others, by tapping into their feelings through or with my own. I like to let them know I understand and care. Others think I'm very quiet. . .but my close friends and family (dad's side and husband and his family) know that I'm not usually so shy...I'm an ambivert. I can be goofy and have a good sense of humor, and talk to them. Most think I'm smart and insightful and ask me for advice. Most also think I'm overall warm, caring, etc.
Would it be a bad thing if you didn't tell them something that could help them?

Do you pay more attention to your own, or to other people's feelings?

Is it ok to be flexible with your opinions in order to get along in a group?

How important is it to be aware of the emotional mood in a group?

You have been given the "Most important person in the world" award. What did you do to deserve the honour?

Do you prefer to have things decided early on or do you like to leave things undecided for as long as possible?

You are at a social event where you notice that one of the people is acting out. Does this bother you? Do you feel the urge to do anything? Why or why not?

Do you find that you put other people's needs before your own?

Is it important to be able to influence people?

What would be a really good way for you to affect other people in general?

When you are in a group setting, do you find yourself trying to maintain a certain mood in the group?

Is your standing in a social group important?

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
[MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION]

1. What is it about the idea of "overcoming the odds" that you enjoy?

What I like about stories of overcoming, is seeing people who went through a really hard time, or some type of struggle (poverty, abuse, illness, addiction, graduate, etc.) and be able to overcome it (get out of poverty, heal from abuse and become empowered, and be cured from an illness). . .I like seeing people succeed and good happening to them, especially when they truly deserve it. What I mean by deserve it, is they really had to consciously work on overcoming their problem, had a great attitude, were humble, and many even wanted to help others after...or they at least didn't let it go to their head rather than becoming hostile with a feeling of superiority to others.

2. Why is it a problem if people don't discipline their children enough?

What I meant by people who don't discipline their children enough bugging me, is that it seems like there's a lot more children nowadays who have a sense of entitlement, run the house even though they don't pay the bills, their manners aren't as good as older generations, they get and do what they want, they think the world revolves around them, they don't seem to handle stress and problems as well as older generations (such as school shootings and suicides in response to bullying), they aren't as respectful of their elders, they're more materialistic, etc. I'm not saying this is all children, but it seems like there's more of them. I'm also not saying that the old way is the only correct way either and that I don't like new things. I like to just keep what works and is best for everyone, seems most moral, ethical, thinks about others, etc. The older generations had their problems too, such as segregation, slavery, how Native Americans were treated, etc. I have no problem with seeing both the good and the bad of each generation, and I definitely agree that the negative things in history need to be learned from and changed, but not the good, such as manners and focusing on helping others, or at least respect and consideration for others, working for and earning what they want rather than it to be handed to them, etc. If people don't discipline their children enough (I'm not talking about beating them or anything like that, but just teaching them right from wrong, holding them responsible for their actions, etc. in some way), they seem to grow up with a combination of the negative traits I listed and don't seem to know how to relate to others or think of others as well because they still think they're the center of the universe. One person I know was raised like this ended up becoming what could be thought of as a sociopath that has no interpersonal relationships outside of the family, he controls the house like a dictator, has been in a lot of legal trouble in the past, disrespectful of others in their home when he's a guest, etc. Discipline teaches healthy boundaries, respect, empathy for others, and helps people to get along and have healthy relationships. People don't have to be the same and conform to everything in society, but it seems like there's a problem when they grow up to have so many problems and they're unhappy.

3. What activity most energizes you when you are alone and recharging?

The activity that recharges me the most..actually a few. Singing, practicing guitar, writing, meditating. . .usually something creative. Singing, of all of them, is my life. . .even though I can't do it really well yet (getting lessons soon), it's still something that I feel has always been me. I LOVE music and expressing myself through it, the meaning in the lyrics, emotion, etc.

4. What does "being genuine" mean to you?

Being genuine, to me, is being authentic to oneself. It means a person won't do something just to go along with the crowd if they feel strongly against it, if it goes against their gut or morals if it's important enough. With small things that don't matter (such as little decisions when working on a class project, etc.) I can understand going along, but not necessarily changing your view, to keep the peace. I don't mean to say it's okay to be a doormat, I just believe in picking battles wisely. If it goes against my morals, beliefs, etc., strongly enough, I stand up for myself or don't do it. If I fight everything, I know that I wouldn't be taken seriously. . .which is why it's important to pick battles wisely. Otherwise, being genuine also means being yourself (style, personality, taste in music, goals, career, morals, spiritual beliefs, opinions, etc.) without being an extension of someone else (don't let others control everything about you). It means being honest, not being manipulative or controlling, not being two-faced or someone who is into gossip. It means being trustworthy, humble and down to earth (not in terms of ideas, etc., but in terms of how you judge or view others...not hating or judging people by socioeconomic status, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc.).

5. Tell us more about yearning to help people in a significant way.

I think I already mentioned what it meant for me to want to help people in a significant way...to heal. I want to help people to heal from abuse and trauma. It's hard to explain exactly how lonely, isolating, depressing, stressful, frustrating, etc. it feels when someone is struggling with memories and hasn't healed from abuse or trauma yet. It takes a significant part of their life away in things they do, their self-concept, there's self-hate, feeling worthless, not being understood and criticized by others for having those memories and wanting to talk about them. Then struggling with the memories and event(s) themselves can be just as difficult. I've been there and know what it's like to have people blame me and criticize me for those memories, and just having to deal with it all in my head alone. It's just something I can't fully put into words, but understand, yet I'm able to connect with other abuse and trauma victims. I've healed and like what it feels like to be on the other side, and I'd like to help others suffering from abuse and trauma to heal as well...I don't want them to continue to feel that pain. It's just too dark and lonely to stay in a place like that. That's why I'm planning to specialize in abuse and trauma as a therapist.

6. Tell us more about this head space.

Head space. . .basically a mindset, a feeling, almost like a trance. There's many times in the past that when I was writing, I felt like I was in a trance, and typing at my keyboard felt like playing a piano as I listened to music, but also felt connected on a spiritual level to something I couldn't explain. I would even write things with vocabulary that I didn't know at the time, only to find out later that I still used it in its correct meaning and context. I liked that because I like creating (writing, singing, etc.), and I also like anything with the spirit, higher power, and feeling that I'm really at one and present with my soul at that moment. It sounds weird, but that's the best I can describe it.

7. Why is it bad to not know everyone on a friendship basis?

It isn't bad to not know everyone on a friendship basis. It's just that I like how those people aren't shy, they're very social, they make friends easily. I'm not worried about not having tons of friends, but just being able to have the ability to overcome my public shyness enough to know how to make friends myself. If that's only five people, I'm happy, but I still admire how some people can be so social for some reason. I guess it's sort of like when you hear a singer hit a reallllly high note and you're just in awe, but not envious.

8. Tell us more about developing your abstract concepts.

An example of how I develop abstract concepts...difficult. A lot of the time it's a problem I see in the world or society, and then I go into my mind and think of tons of ideas of how things should be, how it would impact the world and make it much different, friendlier, empathetic, etc. (I'm aware this is purely idealistic). I also like to take existing concepts and find what I find are weaknesses in them, and think of how I'd do them differently if I like the general concept overall...such as psychology theories. This is probably the hardest question for me to elaborate on and can't fully explain. I like to come up with my own theories, but based around problems I see in the world, come up with ideas for solutions. Usually it can also happen when I become aware of a problem or paid particular attention to one (or an article) recently, and then I think about it in my head, consider how things got that way to begin with, and where to go from there. My ideas usually focus around helping people, improving something, a new idea completely, people-centered, environment-centered, and may sometimes start with "If I could do anything to change things", or I'd think of how I'd want things to be for people, the world. I'm really at a loss for how to explain this, I'm sorry :D I always think of others, but I don't forget about myself (I used to think of others and put people before myself all the time and learned that wasn't healthy), and most of this stuff is thought about in my mind shutting most of the world out (sort of like a type of meditation...it's relaxing), but starts with some type of existing problem or issue happening in the world. I imagine how the people, or whatever the focus is, felt, the impact it has on them, their families, world, environment, etc...whichever of those categories applies.

9. Would it be a bad thing if you didn't tell them something that could help them?

Yes, I feel it could be a bad thing not to tell them something or warn them of something that could happen to them because I don't want them to get hurt in some way. It comes from a place of caring, love, and/or experience. I feel if I don't tell them that I'm intentionally withholding information from them, and if the bad thing happened, I'd feel guilty. It's like this...if you had the knowledge of how to fly a plane that's going to crash because the pilot is unconscious for some reason, wouldn't you feel obligated to step in and help so that everyone doesn't get hurt or killed? Another situation would be if someone is in need of CPR and you were the only one there who knew CPR. Or if someone is allergic to a food, but they really want a particular food that they don't realize contains the ingredient. It isn't that I want to come off as a know-it-all, it's just that I feel obligated to tell or warn someone if I know it can hurt them physically, financially, legally (someone I know wants to do something extremely risky that they told me about recently, and I keep trying to talk them out of it because they'll have a great chance of being caught and get significant prison time, but they're dismissive of me because they don't believe me and want to do it...and this isn't a matter of me jumping to conclusions or catastrophizing to them, it's a real possibility), psychologically, relationship-wise, etc. I'm not extra cautious, where I think every little thing is dangerous, but I'm thinking in a way it's just a clash in personalities.

I need to go out, but I'll answer the questions at the end of your post when I get back. Thank you :)

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=25424]Sunflower_Moon[/MENTION] please edit your previous post to include the question with each answer. It makes it a lot easier for me to read.

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
[MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION] Here's the answers to the other questions you listed. :)

1. Do you pay more attention to your own, or to other people's feelings?

I think I pay more attention to my feelings, but not to be bias or think everyone else thinks, believes, or feels like me. Instead, it's because I treat others how I want to be treated, which means I have to know how I'd like to be treated before I could have an idea of how others would like to be treated. Because I want to be treated nicely and with respect, I treat others that way, but it doesn't come from selfish motives. It has more to do with relating to others and empathy, and caring about how others feel. I used to be someone who always put everyone else first and stretched myself too far, sacrificing myself most of the time. I learned not to do that because of the amount of stress and frustration it brought...too many people expected too much of me, used me, etc., so I definitely learned to think of my own feelings as well.

2. Is it ok to be flexible with your opinions in order to get along in a group?

It depends on the topic and if it has to do with concrete facts. If it doesn't have to do with concrete facts, and it doesn't go against my morals, etc., then yes, I'm flexible most of the time. If it's a group, then it isn't right for one to dominate the entire group if they're supposed to work together as a team cooperatively. I can't always have what I want, and what I think is right may not always be right. If the group doesn't get along and everyone is battling each other, then it won't work efficiently. The better people get along, the harder and longer they may work. My answer, in general, is yes, because I don't always have all of the answers and everyone's ideas and opinions are valid.

3. How important is it to be aware of the emotional mood in a group?

VERY important. Just as I mentioned in my answer above, this will depend how efficiently the group works. I can usually feel the emotion/mood of the group though. If I feel there's even slight tension, I may tense up a little or be more quiet, and if the group is getting along really well, there's a looseness that I can feel, and I feel relaxed physically and mentally, and even join in and have a sense of humor more. But it's important to be aware of the mood of the group at all times so that it's possible to understand what is and isn't working and to change (such as agreeing to disagree and then focus on another topic) it before everything goes downhill (less cooperation, arguing, etc.).

4. You have been given the "Most important person in the world" award. What did you do to deserve the honour?

Found the solution to and was successful with bringing peace and unity between the different religions, races, countries, socioeconomic statuses, etc. . . .brought true equality to people.

5. You are at a social event where you notice that one of the people is acting out. Does this bother you? Do you feel the urge to do anything? Why or why not?

This will definitely bother me and make me feel tense, somewhat fearful. If it gets too bad, I may shake a little on the inside and want to leave. This is because I don't like to be around violence or to feel unsafe. If it's just verbal and isn't shouting on top of the lungs, and it's about someone insulting another person for a reason that goes against my morals and beliefs (race, etc.), I will try to say something. I know I won't change that person's beliefs, but I'd be most likely to console the other person and make sure they don't believe the things the other person said. They'll have the right to their feelings of hurt, anger, and frustration by what was said to and about them, but I would listen to what they had to say, I wouldn't force any advice, but I'd let them know how I personally felt about them (positive things), and let them know that the other person's behavior was inappropriate and wrong. Then I'd just stay with the person because what usually happens is they end up slowly feeling better and talking about other things. I wouldn't get too argumentative toward the one acting out though because my own behavior could only escalate the situation into something much worse. If the one acting out was a friend, I may try talking to them in private another day about their behavior.

6. Do you prefer to have things decided early on or do you like to leave things undecided for as long as possible?

I like to have a goal and some type of plan with steps to reach that goal that I visualize in my mind as I come up with the plan. However, I don't like plans to be so rigid that if I can't accomplish one step then the entire plan is blown. Yes, plan, have an idea of what I want, then think of steps, but keep it flexible so I can adapt if needed.

7. Do you find that you put other people's needs before your own?

I used to, yes. I learned from it and have for the past couple of years made sure to remember myself as well, otherwise I'd be sacrificing myself (happiness, needs, etc.) too much. If I don't practice self-care, it would only be a matter of time until I'd burn out and not even be able to help others. It's much like the saying "You have to learn to love yourself before you can love another". If needed, however, I will put other people's needs before my own if they're really important, such as emergencies. But I would not go out with friends if they wanted me to if I had a big test to take on Monday. I prioritize.

8. Is it important to be able to influence people?

Sort of. I don't like the idea of it in one way because it sounds like manipulation, but if I'm studying to become a therapist and I have specific goals to help people, then influencing people will automatically be a part of it. I wouldn't influence people in the negative way, which I would call manipulation, however, I think it's important to influence (or encourage) people in positive ways, such as giving up an addiction to a substance. If it's to help and comes from a place of love, then yes, it can be important to influence (encourage and guide) people.

9. What would be a really good way for you to affect other people in general?

Being honest, humble, empathetic, caring, dependable, loyal, helping others, letting them know who I am inside and that I don't feel superior to them, and that I view them as equals, let them know I believe in them and their potential, be a good listener, and praise them for good things they say or do. Another way is to have a good sense of humor. . .people seem to loosen up and love humor.

10. When you are in a group setting, do you find yourself trying to maintain a certain mood in the group?

Not really. Most groups I've been in have gotten along fine. As for myself personally, sometimes. Sometimes I start feeling excluded or bored, but that's usually because we have such different interests that we don't share. This may include going to nightclubs. I've been in a group before that liked to do that a lot. I didn't like that, but I would go sometimes with them. A better example would be when all of the other members in a group have years of history together and a great friendship, yet I don't have that with them. They have their own lingo, interests, talk about their memories together and other mutual friends they have. When this happens I feel at a loss for words with nothing to say, so I get bored. If it lasts all night, then I end up feeling excluded with no idea of how to really change the conversation to include myself. I'll struggle to maintain my own mood in this group to be happy or at least okay. Most of the time I'll get along okay though and end up talking to one or two members of the group that I relate to the most.

11. Is your standing in a social group important?

No. I don't want to be completely excluded, but I don't need to be the life of the party or the leader either.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=25424]Sunflower_Moon[/MENTION] here's another question for you.

Please order the following activities starting with the most energizing to least energizing:
  • Coming up with your own theories
  • Singing
  • Practicing guitar
  • Writing (but not coming up with your theories)
  • Meditating (but not coming up with your theories)
  • Paying attention to your own feelings

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
[MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION]

Singing
Writing (the main way I express myself, my opinions, etc. in detail in a way that others can understand because I'm not as good verbally. . .I'm not a mute and I don't stutter, but I get nervous and hold back saying a lot. Then there are times I can come across as very extroverted, but still hold a lot back)
Coming up with my own theories
Meditating
Practicing guitar
Paying attention to my own feelings

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another thing I just thought to add is that while Jung thought personalities could fit into just 15 categories (it's hard for me to think that over 7 billion people on the planet can fit into 15 categories) and that we would remain that personality for the rest of our lives, strengthening or weakening each of those letters, he makes it sound like it's so finalized. Yet, in the Behavioral theory of psychology, they feel that practically everything is learned, and if we've learned it, we can unlearn it, and learn new things. That expanded into the Cognitive-Behavioral theory with changing how we think will eventually result in a change in behavior. Well, I see validity in every theory of psychology. The Behaviorists and Cognitive-Behaviorists have very good points! So, take that back to Analytical psychology (Jung), where part of the emphasis is on the individual and finding their way to wholeness, etc....seems to contradict itself.

If there's so much individuality, how can so many people fit into 15 neat categories? I think there should be more. And expand further to include the behaviorist and cognitive-behaviorist theories since we really can learn new things and unlearn things (habits, points of view, outlook on life, etc.) that would inevitably impact our personality. That's why I think I'm having trouble typing myself. There's many of the weaknesses that I see in the types that I match the most that I've already focused on fixing to the point they don't apply to me, but I'm not perfect. I just have other weaknesses...and some of the weaknesses specific to certain types seem like they could be applied on a wider scale as well. I think the MBTI really needs to double their number of MBTI types to compensate for the weaknesses it has, and to be able to better type people who really don't neatly fall into one of 15 categories. If Jung's theory was completely correct, these problems with mistyping, not being able to find a type at all, etc., wouldn't exist.

There's a reason for Jung placing his type descriptions at the back of Psychological Types - he considered it to be the least important part of the book.