• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people care so much about other people being mistyped?

four

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4x3
Serious question. I honestly do not understand why people care. It's one thing to try to help people see their type in an open, curious, helpful manner and to point out things here and there...it's another thing to seriously freak out if people seem mistyped, to make whole threads about it and to constantly complain. It seems like it has more to do with being insecure than it does about exploring typology.

Or maybe it's an age thing? Are people here very young? I don't mean that to sound condescending, it just seems very high-school-cafeteria to get so upset about an issue of someone else's self-identity.

Honest question for the forum: If you're someone who gets very triggered, frustrated, angry, or over-focused on others' mistyping...why?????

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Categorizing people and connecting to it for personal identity appeals to people because most want to be understood and want feel a connection to others who are similar, so when their category doesn't represent them it can upset or hurt them. If they feel they identify with the theory of the category, but when other people identify with that same category and behave differently, they can feel it reflects on them poorly or it increases feelings of being misunderstood. Some (more often T's) respond by getting very rigid about categories, when the underlying system itself can also be too limited to account for all the fundamental behaviors and impulses in people. Getting more rigid about boundaries doesn't necessarily solve the problem when the system itself is subjective and imperfect. To hammer the issue with too much rigor can imply the individual has control issues.

I dislike categories of all types because they serve the purpose of creating a lower resolution of reality. Yes, that is necessary for dealing with large amounts of data, but on the personal level it has limited use and can distort reality in this way:.
G_SInvader_LowResMonaLisa.jpg

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
fia said:
If they feel they identify with the theory of the category, but when other people identify with that same category and behave differently, they can feel it reflects on them poorly or it increases feelings of being misunderstood.

Yes, this is an annoying thing to experience, to say the least.

To hammer the issue with too much rigor can imply the individual has control issues.

Indeed. It may be compensating for a feeling that one lacks self-control or control of the world around them. The rigidity is an attempt to cope with this that usually doesn't work that well.

four

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4x3
Categorizing people and connecting to it for personal identity appeals to people because most want to be understood and want feel a connection to others who are similar, so when their category doesn't represent them it can upset or hurt them. If they feel they identify with the theory of the category, but when other people identify with that same category and behave differently, they can feel it reflects on them poorly or it increases feelings of being misunderstood. Some (more often T's) respond by getting very rigid about categories, when the underlying system itself can also be too limited to account for all the fundamental behaviors and impulses in people. Getting more rigid about boundaries doesn't necessarily solve the problem when the system itself is subjective and imperfect. To hammer the issue with too much rigor can imply the individual has control issues.

I dislike categories of all types because they serve the purpose of creating a lower resolution of reality. Yes, that is necessary for dealing with large amounts of data, but on the personal level it has limited use and can distort reality in this way:.
G_SInvader_LowResMonaLisa.jpg

Thank you for answering my question so thoughtfully. I think you're right; to see people "mistyped" makes people confused about themselves. So other people's types become about them. I have a sense that this has to do with a sort of adolescent developmental stage. I'm really not trying to be patronizing here, but it makes sense that young people (or immature adults) who are trying to "find themselves" would be threatened by others in this way. Everyone else's type becomes about them. It's weird.

I don't relate at all to this aspect of "typology subculture" so to speak. I find the psychology interesting and the types useful, even though they are imperfect and limited. For example, I know I am not a type six, but I identify with a lot of it, I get a lot out of reading about the type and trying to figure out why so many sixes are in my life and trying to figure out why it speaks to me so much. It must be stressful to think the types are static and perfect and to feel like one has to argue constantly about them as if they are scientific ideas like gravity or evolution. If one looks at the types that way, then no wonder there's so much freaking out.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think part of the reason is that people tend to over-estimate their own capabilities.

People come on this site, knowing little about typology, and they then attempt to soak up whatever information they can as quickly as possible. As most of the easily available information online is basically stereotypical surface level garbage, that is what usually translates.

Armed with a rudimentary understanding of typology, but not knowing how basic and narrow it really is, people then set out to find a way to justify all the time they spent- they want credit for their work, to prove their understanding. So they throw out their understanding of type, ESTJ's are bossy, you are not bossy so you cannot be an ESTJ for this this and this reason-half-assed shallow 'fact' after 'fact', trying to prove that they really are . Most people can only use as much knowledge as they have, few are able to really theorize accurately fo themselves.

And I am sure part of the reason is that when someone gets comfortable with the idea(particularly if it is their own) of a type, and then someone comes who doesn't exactly jive-could start to feel like a threat, and the person goes on the offensive. A one of these things is not like the other scenario, and the one needs to be cast out to retain absolute homogeneity.

Not sure if that should be necessarily discouraged, as I would think that it would lead to improved understanding(ie:learning from experience/trial and error. And it isn't like it never has merit.) Just seems to be part of the reason it could happen.

Not that there aren't mistypes, because there surely are.

four

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4x3
Not sure if that should be necessarily discouraged, as I would think that it would lead to improved understanding(ie:learning from experience/trial and error. And it isn't like it never has merit.) Just seems to be part of the reason it could happen.

Not that there aren't mistypes, because there surely are.

Yeah. I mean, it doesn't have to be discouraged persay, but it will almost always seem egotistical and adolescent to care so much about what or who another person "is" when you don't even know them. To argue with another person literally about what they "are". There's an argument to be made that this is a really negative thing for society. To be so forceful about other people's identities. But whatever helps one sleep at night, I guess...

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree that people get upset when others with the same type as them behave differently than they do. I think this creates a weird self-regulating sort of homogony, so that some people are actively monitoring what they say so they appear more like the stereotype of their type, in order to appease others and not have their "identities" questioned.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
personally, I think it's up to the person in question to decide what type they are since they know themselves way better than any internet person could... sites like this should just offer the tools that they need to more easily assess themselves

however, there's always some smarmy little know-it-all who HAS to make sure that everyone's cut into the correct shapes to fit into their appropriate little boxes... either to prove that they're the smartest and know more than anyone else does about typology or because they're some sort of control freak

and like [MENTION=22178]hel[/MENTION] mentioned, there's some sort of obsession with intratype consistency, as in "maybe if they behave that way and I behave this way it means that I'm not the same type... but I CAN'T be wrong! I spent so much time taking those quizzes so I guess I'll call them out like we're in salem town hall or something..."

:doh:

personally, it's one of the major factors as to why I don't have a type down in my profile... I don't feel like I should have to waste my time with people who stick their noses where they don't belong

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah. I mean, it doesn't have to be discouraged persay, but it will almost always seem egotistical and adolescent to care so much about what or who another person "is" when you don't even know them. To argue with another person literally about what they "are". There's an argument to be made that this is a really negative thing for society. To be so forceful about other people's identities. But whatever helps one sleep at night, I guess...

Right, I don't really see the point in going out of your way to deconstruct someones idea of their type- unless you ask for it. It doesn't necessarily seem like an issue to me if someone points out that hey, you MIGHT be an ISFP because you show this, or have you looked into the ENFP profile- it is a typology forum, so people will have their opinions, and I think should be able to share them. But there is a difference between suggesting and telling, and telling someone that they are or are not this-no further discussion, irritates me.

But actually, on this forum, most people seem pretty good about not being overly forceful about their opinions. For the most part I have found, that it is relatively few who will openly start a discussion on an individuals type outside of a few set threads.

This is pretty much what you stated though, but I don't know- sometimes one persons definition of forceful is different than anothers. People like to share what they think, for whatever reasons and mo matter how potentially misinformed, but I can see why there would be frusteration on either side.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
But actually, on this forum, most people seem pretty good about not being overly forceful about their opinions. For the most part I have found, that it is relatively few who will openly start a discussion on an individuals type outside of a few set threads.

^^^^^
:laugh::rofl1::rotfl:

four

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4x3
It's interesting to read the MBTI texts, in the assessment guidelines it very, very specifically states that it is considered unethical to type others against their consent and that the type always has to be decided by the individual. Myers-Briggs considered it a huge breach of ethics to force type on other people.

four

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4x3
I wonder what type is most likely to care whether or not others are mistyped? Maybe a new thread....

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Fitting oneself properly into the system is complicated by others' uncertainty. A lot of people also seem to take pride in their self-typings, and dislike when people they don't identify with share their letters.

GreatBigCranberries

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
This is not so much a reason why I think people do care about others being mistyped, more of a reason why they should, I guess. I'm inclined to think that INFPs, my own type, are particularly inclined to mistype themselves/ourselves. At least I know I did. I took several personality tests which almost always informed me I was INTP (except for one that said I was INFJ). Then I came on this site and was almost immediately told that I was an INFP. I was not happy, for some of the reasons already discussed (who are you, random internet person, to tell me who I am?). But I looked into it anyway, and it turns out they were right, I actually am an INFP.

The problem was until I could see how the functions worked out in myself, I had no solid framework for understanding the personality type system at all. Which unfortunately meant that until I knew what personality type I was, I had hardly any idea how to figure out what personality type I was. Making that outside input invaluable (however little I valued it at the time). This also meant that so long as I was mistyping myself, my entire framework for understanding personality types was skewed. If I spread my (mis)understanding about types to other people I was spreading misinformation.

I can totally see how insisting that others have mistyped themselves can be used as a means of encouraging narrowed, stereotyped views of types, but at the same time, if you are posting things about personality types online and genuinely have mistyped yourself, that is not just your own private problem (though it is that too, mistyping yourself is not helpful). If you put your private thoughts on the internet, they are no longer private, they're public. If you misunderstand something, and tell people those thoughts, you encourage the spread of that misunderstanding.

Starry

The only time I feel concerned for a mistyped individual...or that an individual is incorrectly typed is when I suspect that individual is currently struggling with common 'type-related challenges' that an understanding of their true type could help identify and explain, as well as potentially alleviate (even solve) what is causing them grief. <-This rarely occurs though it seems. For the most part I view being mistyped as a normal if not healthy part of this journey (although I'm just now remembering having interacted with a handful of mistyped individuals that were "beating themselves up" in a way for not having developed some common/defining type-related characteristic of the type they believe they are but are not. I don't know how common it is for mistyped people to do this sort of thing but this would cause me some concern as well.)

So, anyway, my concern as it pertains to mistyped individuals is very rarely on behalf of the individual themselves but occasionally for how they can cause confusion to others on their own personal and/or interpersonal journey. Every once and a while forums like these will produce an individual that is mistyped and highly active and vocal about their "type-related" experience. Generally it is someone that is inclined to type others from their incorrect standpoint...as well as being prone to providing type-related advice and problem-solving assistance to others. <-I will admit these guys can leave me a bit to biting my nails because you've got just one mistyped individual covering a hell of a lot of ground with the spread of misinformation.

^^When it comes to the above scenerio I worry primarily for people seeking type-related relationship assistance/understanding in an effort to overcome conflict...and being confronted by a helpful mistyped individual. As an ENFP...I can remember just how many times I witnessed a mistyped (as ENFP) ESFJ provide all kinds of misinformation...or as I see it "false hope" haha to individuals seeking help with the ENFPs in their lives. In no uncertain terms this mistyped ESFJ came to be understood as "an ENFP at their best" and/or "what an ENFP can aspire to - what an ENFP can be once they take responsibility for their lives and decide to become adults." Yah.

four

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4x3
This is not so much a reason why I think people do care about others being mistyped, more of a reason why they should, I guess. I'm inclined to think that INFPs, my own type, are particularly inclined to mistype themselves/ourselves. At least I know I did. I took several personality tests which almost always informed me I was INTP (except for one that said I was INFJ). Then I came on this site and was almost immediately told that I was an INFP. I was not happy, for some of the reasons already discussed (who are you, random internet person, to tell me who I am?). But I looked into it anyway, and it turns out they were right, I actually am an INFP.

The problem was until I could see how the functions worked out in myself, I had no solid framework for understanding the personality type system at all. Which unfortunately meant that until I knew what personality type I was, I had hardly any idea how to figure out what personality type I was. Making that outside input invaluable (however little I valued it at the time). This also meant that so long as I was mistyping myself, my entire framework for understanding personality types was skewed. If I spread my (mis)understanding about types to other people I was spreading misinformation.

I can totally see how insisting that others have mistyped themselves can be used as a means of encouraging narrowed, stereotyped views of types, but at the same time, if you are posting things about personality types online and genuinely have mistyped yourself, that is not just your own private problem (though it is that too, mistyping yourself is not helpful). If you put your private thoughts on the internet, they are no longer private, they're public. If you misunderstand something, and tell people those thoughts, you encourage the spread of that misunderstanding.

Interesting. I have sort of had the opposite experience. I came to the MBTI through a person who I really respect who was insistent that I was an ENFP. I took it with a grain of salt and didn't question it but actually never studied it myself. I then read about it, took an official test and several informal ones, studied the functions, and realized that I most relate to INFJ. I don't understand how that person could have thought I was an E, but I think she might have been projecting some of her own stuff onto me. In any case, everyone gets all pissy about someone claiming to be INFJ :) .But it's the only way I can find personal use for the MBTI at all.

I can see how any type who is characterized by a search for "self" (infp, enneatype 4, etc.) would be most likely to mistype...it makes some sense. And I can definitely see the argument that spreading "misinformation" about a type is not cool for the philosophy at large.

four

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4x3

Judging from the amount of irritated posts about it on various forums here and elsewhere...yeah. Absolutely. I envy you for having not noticed!

GreatBigCranberries

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Interesting. I have sort of had the opposite experience. I came to the MBTI through a person who I really respect who was insistent that I was an ENFP. I took it with a grain of salt and didn't question it but actually never studied it myself. I then read about it, took an official test and several informal ones, studied the functions, and realized that I most relate to INFJ. I don't understand how that person could have thought I was an E, but I think she might have been projecting some of her own stuff onto me. In any case, everyone gets all pissy about someone claiming to be INFJ :) .But it's the only way I can find personal use for the MBTI at all.

If it's possible to mistype yourself, it's obviously that much easier for another person to mistype you. I suppose I should add that after I figured out I was INFP, someone else tried to convince me that I really was an INTP. I think they were well intentioned, but once I knew what I was everything fit. There's just no easy sweeping answer of 'you should never/always tell someone if you think they're a different type'. You kind of have to judge situation by situation, try to be sensible and hope you don't screw things up for someone.

I can see how any type who is characterized by a search for "self" (infp, enneatype 4, etc.) would be most likely to mistype...it makes some sense. And I can definitely see the argument that spreading "misinformation" about a type is not cool for the philosophy at large.

Ha, I think it's mostly because INFPs use our own thoughts, emotions, experiences, etc as an example and reference point from which to understand other people, so if we don't really understand ourselves, things can get very mixed up.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
well, to start off i really don't care that much. but a lot of my method of typing people isn't very specific, i don't do the whole picking apart the cognitive functions thing. each type has a certain presence to me, and i determine that by comparing people i know or people on this forum. if someone who (for example) is very clearly not an ISFP is claiming to be one, it throws off my perception of the type and makes the whole system kinda useless to me. a lot of people (myself included) use this website to learn about the types, and people's individual posting styles can help make those distinctions.