• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I an INFP or ISFP?

pretendboats

MBTI Type
IxFP
I've spent the last few years believing I was an INFP, although recently I've wondered if I might be an ISFP. Online tests I've taken have typed me as INFP, but I've read that it's not uncommon for ISFPs to be mistyped. I'll tell you a little bit about myself (which may or may not be relevant to deciding between N and F), and I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

I'm a talented writer, and people often tell me I should write a book. I love writing about my thoughts and feelings because I'm terrible at verbalizing what's going on inside of my head. I feel like the only way I can accurately convey what I'm feeling is through writing. However, it takes me a very long time to write a short amount because I'm constantly searching for better words and metaphors. I also tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, so I edit as I go. In school I was never able to write rough drafts for papers... I had to write it exactly the way I wanted it the first time around.

I'm also good at drawing, painting, and other types of artwork, but most of the time I prefer to look at it than actually do it myself. A large amount of my time is actually spent online looking at other people's artwork. I guess you could say I have a lot of interests, but not many hobbies.

I'm very interested in dressing a specific way to express who I am as a person. My style tends to change a lot, though. I'm comfortable wearing bolder outfits that other people might not wear.

External factors such as the weather, music, or the general atmosphere of a place have a huge effect on my mood.

While I love thinking about the future and spend a lot of time thinking about the person I want to become (I guess you could say I'm pretty focused on self-improvement), I think it's more important to live in the present moment. I get sick of social media because I want to actually enjoy my life without having to take a picture and show off of everything I do... although I do use social media pretty often because it's the best way I've found to express myself.

I definitely need and really enjoy my time alone, but if I spend too much time by myself, I tend to fall into more negative and depressing thoughts. I get restless really easily and prefer to be doing something outside of my house, whether that's alone or with other people. I love being around nature and have a huge thirst for travel and adventure.

I like trying new things. I'm the type of person that orders something new every time I go to a restaurant or coffee shop. I'm pretty open-minded and willing to try most things at least once, unless it goes against my strong, personal values. I'm a Christian whose faith is very important to me, but I love learning about different beliefs and religions, and it's important to me to have real reasons behind my faith. I'm good at listening to what other people believe and seeing things from their point-of-view, whether I agree or not. I need to feel like everything I'm doing has purpose, or I lose interest.

I have little self control when it comes to things I enjoy.

I'm a very emotional person, but the majority of my decisions are based off of logical thinking and not my feelings. I'm incredibly compassionate, but I'm not necessarily empathetic or sympathetic. There are very few people who truly know me because I'm pretty guarded (even though I don't mean to be) and prefer listening to talking. People have to make an effort to get to know me. I'm willing to honestly answer any questions people ask me, but I don't just offer up personal information unless I'm asked. My best friend (who knows me better than anyone else) says that sometimes she feels like there's a lot she doesn't know about me and I can be really confusing at times. It's hard to tell what I'm thinking or feeling because what's going on internally doesn't always match up with how I act.

I'm friendly and can hold a conversation, but meeting new people stresses me out. I zone out a lot around large groups of people and spend a lot of time in my head. I often feel like the things I care about and prioritize don't match up with what other people care about, which makes me feel isolated at times.

I'm not sure how relevant all of this is, but thank you for reading!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see anything here that is NOT INFP. I will say that I can relate to all of it, as in, it could be describing me.

What is mainly obvious is Fi-Dom e4.

Could you elaborate more on why you're considering ISFP?
Honestly, it sounds like you're considering it mainly because you don't want to hastily rule out a possibility.

KitchenFly

What other, "I first" -introvert first types ,have you considered pretendboats? [MENTION=25273]pretendboats[/MENTION]

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am sort of in the same boat: I considered myself INFP for the longest time. Yet, working as a gardener/ landscaper, I feel that I've experienced some ISFP drift. I don't want to say that I don't write, however. I am prone to write more than people want to read in PMs and messages. Yet, it's a spectrum. There's probably a little of many personalities in there.

- - - Updated - - -

You sound like an INFP, though...