• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Struggling to determine whether I'm INTJ or INTP

pizzathegreat

MBTI Type
BORK
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm aware of the different function stacks, however some functions working together can appear to be very similar to another.
Here is a list of fun facts about me that may help:

I work in short bursts of energy. Usually this is because I've come up with an idea that seems intriguing to me. I treat it as a puzzle, and once I've solved that puzzle or the difficult part I will stop working because the rest of the project is boring.

I like to collect knick knacks that reflect my interests and each one is in a very specific place. When it comes to files or anything that I don't have on display I am very disorganized. The organization of my space doesn't matter to me as long as it looks nice.

My computer files are extremely organized as well as my code.

I'm constantly picking up new interests and dropping them once I've obtained a level of adequacy. For many I know that I can achieve expert skill, but I don't care to.

I'm beyond socially awkward. When someone asks me how I'm doing my most common response is "yes" followed by "I haven't died yet".

I don't really have any friends, and I'm afraid to make any due the requirements and obligations that come with friendship.

Unless I've come up with a plan, I put most things off to the last minute. If it is something that will make a big difference in the way I live my life, I will seek closure as soon as possible.

I'm very good at reading other people, and I usually make extremely accurate conclusions about them and their personality.
When I'm excited about an idea I like to talk about it with someone and get their thoughts on it. While doing this I usually develop the idea more.

I don't like being the person in charge. I like money, but when in charge I have to question myself if I'm going too far or not far enough.

I hate being controlled.

I can stay up all night researching the same thing.

I'm considered arrogant at times by those who know me. I try to be nice to those who don't, but my job has made me rather cynical.

I will buy video games and never play them. I have at least 100 on steam that I've never played. Same goes for books. I will have the intent to read them, but never really feel like it.

I'm good at managing my money. I like to do my budget for fun.

I'm addicted to pizza if that wasn't obvious.

After typing this list, I'd say it sounds more INTP than INTJ, but there are other aspects of my life that are causing me to question my type. So please ask any questions that you think would help determine what type I am.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Sounds more INTP than INTJ, except for the stockpiling of videogames and books, but that's neither here nor there; I have piles of books I'm meaning to read and I know many people who are the same way. I've noticed the stockpiling of books is common to all Ni/Ne users I know.

LovelySweet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hiya! :bye: Here's a little info: http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/judging-or-perceiving.htm?bhcp=1

J:
I like to have things decided.
•I appear to be task oriented.
• I like to make lists of things to do.
• I like to get my work done before playing.
• I plan work to avoid rushing just before a deadline.
•Sometimes I focus so much on the goal that I miss new information.

P:
I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens.
•I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum.
•I like to approach work as play or mix work and play.
•I work in bursts of energy.
• I am stimulated by an approaching deadline.
• Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed.

Chrysanthea

I completely sympathize with you regarding the stockpiling of video games xD The Steam sales are so wonderful it's difficult not to take advantage of them!~ I have so many games it overwhelms me because I'm not sure where to start, and so end up not playing any. Anyways, I agree with the INTP typing. I don't think whether you own the J or the P matters when it comes to organization. You may have just been taught to be that way through school or other influences. Your wide range of interests and sessions of quick bursts of energy are both traits of an INTP.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
I work in short bursts of energy. Usually this is because I've come up with an idea that seems intriguing to me. I treat it as a puzzle, and once I've solved that puzzle or the difficult part I will stop working because the rest of the project is boring.

P:
I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens.
•I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum.
•I like to approach work as play or mix work and play.
•I work in bursts of energy.
• I am stimulated by an approaching deadline.
• Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed.

:sherlock:

pizzathegreat

MBTI Type
BORK
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP it is. HUZZAH!
Thank you strange peoples.

pizzathegreat

MBTI Type
BORK
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Indeed!

Now, just out of curiosity, can someone explain how inferior Fe works in INTPs? I've only seen Fe first hand with my mother, who is an ESFJ.

Last edited:

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
What other aspects of your life are causing you to question your type?

pizzathegreat

MBTI Type
BORK
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just read an article that caused me to question myself again.

Here are some more fun facts about me:
I'm usually incredibly aware of my surrounding on a daily basis.

Using what I notice in my environment I form conclusions about things. My conclusions so far have always been right.

I refuse to be wrong. If I'm not entirely sure I will make sure that it is known.

I love puzzles.

I have incredible focus once something interests me enough. However, once I am distracted it is lost and something interesting me that much is rare.

My space varies from room to room. My bedroom is usually a mess, my living room and kitchen area are usually very tidy, and my office is a mix between the two.

I appreciate structure if it is done right, and loathe disorganization if done wrong. I can go either way, it just depends on the efficiency. In the company I work for, there is no hierarchy and it is a disaster.

It is nearly impossible to offend me.

I consider how others will feel before saying something, but only if it benefits me to do so. I don't actually care, I just use it as a tactic to get what I want.

Not really type related, but I have no interest in relationships. They exhaust me and usually aren't worth my time.

I will go with the flow....if I like the flow. I will always ask what the plan is so I can decide whether it's worth my time to engage in.

It is absolutely impossible to get me to do something I don't want to do.

I'm excellent at managing money.

I'm very nosy when it comes to other people. I like to gain as much information on them as I can. I like to understand them and know what is going on in their lives for the sake of knowing.

Even without knowledge of them, I tend to just 'know' people. Again, I have not made an incorrect conclusion yet. I hear the question "HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY KNOW THAT?!" quite often.

I absolutely do not care if something is considered rude. I care less and less as I get older.

Here are my issues:
I'm not sure if I use Se or Si more. I can be quite hedonistic and I'm usually a very visual person. My memory is excellent and I store and compare a lot of information.
I'm not sure if I use Ne or Ni more. I'm able to use both with ease.
I'd give the edge to Ti between Ti and Te.
I'd give the advantage to Fi between Fi and Fe.
Cognitive function tests generally come back inconclusive for me.
One test came back in this order: Ti = Ni -> Ne = Te -> Fi = Si -> Se -> Fe

Here is the original list:

I like to collect knick knacks that reflect my interests and each one is in a very specific place. When it comes to files or anything that I don't have on display I am very disorganized. The organization of my space doesn't matter to me as long as it looks nice.

My computer files are extremely organized as well as my code.

I'm constantly picking up new interests and dropping them once I've obtained a level of adequacy. For many I know that I can achieve expert skill, but I don't care to.

I'm beyond socially awkward. When someone asks me how I'm doing my most common response is "yes" followed by "I haven't died yet".

I don't really have any friends, and I'm afraid to make any due the requirements and obligations that come with friendship.

Unless I've come up with a plan, I put most things off to the last minute. If it is something that will make a big difference in the way I live my life, I will seek closure as soon as possible.

I'm very good at reading other people, and I usually make extremely accurate conclusions about them and their personality.
When I'm excited about an idea I like to talk about it with someone and get their thoughts on it. While doing this I usually develop the idea more.

I don't like being the person in charge. I like money, but when in charge I have to question myself if I'm going too far or not far enough.

I hate being controlled.

I can stay up all night researching the same thing.

I'm considered arrogant at times by those who know me. I try to be nice to those who don't, but my job has made me rather cynical.

I will buy video games and never play them. I have at least 100 on steam that I've never played. Same goes for books. I will have the intent to read them, but never really feel like it.

I'm good at managing my money. I like to do my budget for fun.

I'm addicted to pizza if that wasn't obvious.

Last edited:

pizzathegreat

MBTI Type
BORK
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, right. I'm also a huge control freak.
I DO desire closure with things if I'm interested.
I'm very blunt.
I do not like physical contact.
While playing chess, I generally trust my intuition.
When working on a project I'll write out its structure to make sure I don't overlook anything.
I am a procrastinator if I'm not interested. If I am or I feel that it is of importance, I will complete a task right away.
I am extremely competitive and love a challenge.
I have an anxiety disorder, which may be the cause of my confusion.

pizzathegreat

MBTI Type
BORK
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After a great deal of introspection, I have come to the conclusion that I am an INTJ as I originally thought.
I considered the possibility that I downplayed my Te, and realized that I had. It doesn't completely come through in my lists. My procrastination or 'working in bursts of energy' is more so the result of my disinterest and the lack of a challenge. Usually, I'm a hard worker and I get things done. Most people I speak to would describe me as very direct and blunt. I prefer my space to be clean and tidy and won't do certain things if it is not just so.
I relate to Ni over Ne.
I relate to Fi over Fe.
Se and Si is where it became difficult, but after studying the correlation between memory and the functions, I learned that my memory works through Ni and Se as opposed to Si.

FizzyFox

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
How I determine if someone is a J or P usually goes by how well planned they are and how they like to keep focused?
I also have an anxiety disorder as an INFJ, but my twin sister is an INFP which can help us distinguish between J and P XD

Firstly, just try to focus on the major things of J and P, as there is a bunch of information in there which isn't entirely relevant?
My sister for example, is a lot more dreamy. She prefers to see things in a way of imagination, where as I see things just as 'hopes for the future'.
Reading she can focus on a lot more than I can for example, I usually stick more with writing as it comes to my mind easier with words that flow rather than having to imagine a situation which isn't already flowing in my head?
Being a J I'm also a lot better of a planner. I prefer to plan ahead and know the exact things that are going to occur. My sister as a P prefers to make plans either last minute, or attempts to plan but doesn't actually stick to it in the end and doesn't mind?

By the sounds of your post you're most likely a P though by what I hear though, even if you have come to the conclusion of J, as I mean my sister prefers a tidy space in her mind....but seriously she could never get it done unless she has a reason, where as I need no reason XD

pizzathegreat

MBTI Type
BORK
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for the reply [MENTION=25422]FizzyFox[/MENTION]

Edit:
It is possible I could be an INTP that likes a clean environment. I won't necessarily care if my area is a mess, and I won't always do anything about it. However, I do feel better when everything is clean.

I do have some form of sensory processing disorder which makes me think inferior Se. I have ARFID, misophonia, and I don't like physical contact.
I notice everything around me. I can tell when something has moved even only slightly.

Last edited:

pizzathegreat

MBTI Type
BORK
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've attached some pics of my place to give you an idea of how I like to keep it..

pizzathegreat

MBTI Type
BORK
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll put this in terms of TV characters.
I have the observational skills and intuitive skills of BBC's Sherlock. (Obviously not as exaggerated)
And the dirty mind and jokes of Dr. House.

I have to consciously avoid predicting the plot of a show. I make random connections to things/odd, out of nowhere, accurate observations. I'm known for my speed when it comes to solving problems at work because I just understand how things work. (Ex: This is happening -> These pages use this -> Of those pages I know these ones use the functions that would cause this -> This is the problem. Overly generalized example, but it works something like that only all at once within seconds, even if I haven't touched the system before. It's just what makes sense. I've impressed many of the programmers I've worked with thanks to this.
Ex 2: When someone comes in and asks for something that seems hard, I'll tell them that it's complicated and might take a while. I'll usually have the solution within 5 minutes, whereas my coworker could take hours to find something even half as good. When faced with the problem my mind will just start making all the possible connections and putting the puzzle together until I've come up with a working solution. Then a bit later, while working on something else, I'll think of another one that works even better without consciously trying.)
I have a very inappropriate sense of humor.
I've reached a point in my life where I can read people very well, but I had to learn that skill through observation. I'll often tell coworkers or family certain things about a person and they won't realize I'm right until they've come to know that person well.
I am a very self-conscious person and I always have been. I want to be accepted. The reason I don't like groups is that I'm a slightly different person with each person I meet until I think they can accept the real me. Once that side of me is revealed, I am uncompromising.
Due to anxiety, I like to be in control of every situation I'm in. I don't drink or do drugs for this reason. I need to maintain a clear head at all times.

If someone could analyze my statements from my previous posts and this one and correlate them to the cognitive functions I would greatly appreciate it.
I've studied MBTI a lot, and I'm able to type other people accurately and easily, but I'm having trouble typing myself. I need to know, and I need to be right.

Last edited: