• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or INFJ?

indigo_skies

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
9w1
Okay guys, so I'm sure you've already seen many, many different people with the same problem, but your opinions and help on this would be appreciated!

Almost every single MBTI test and cognitive functions test I've taken (and I've taken just about every free test online I could find) has scored me as INFJ. But I have gotten INFP a few times as well. In cognitive functions I had excellent use of Fi, but also excellent use of Ni, just being slightly higher. Fe was also quite high. So I'm going to break it down for you and list some traits. Honestly I'm not sure if the traits I listed as INFJ or INFP are actually accurate, so feel free to correct me. And the 'Random Traits' is a list of traits that I wasn't really sure where to put, and might not be relevant to either type.

Traits that make me think INFJ
  • I don't like being the leader but will step up if nobody else is. When that happens, I try to make sure that everyone feels included and is given a place in the group.
  • I've often been accused of claiming to know someone better than they know themselves. Especially when giving advice.
  • I tend to eat a lot of junk food when I'm feeling stressed. I also like to drive really fast, run, or anything with speed really. I've read this is because of the inferior function of INFJ. When INFPs are stressed, supposedly they become really critical? Which does not happen with me, I'm rarely openly critical of others
  • Sometimes when I'm pondering a problem, I will go to bed and suddenly wake up the next morning and "get it", like everything just clicks into place
  • I'm good at picking out others' emotions, but terrible at figuring out what MINE actually are. For example, someone can make a rude comment to me and I will feel completely unaffected. But then later that night I might start thinking about the situation and start crying because I just realized how hurt I was by that comment.
  • Sometimes I am so caught up in the facial expressions and mannerisms of a person that I miss what they are actually SAYING with words
  • I'm a neat freak and tend to be very organized
  • I like to have things planned in advance and have some idea of what I'm getting into
  • I can see the potential in people and I love trying to help bring that out of them. It's one of the reasons I was interested in psychologist/counselor as a career
  • I'm fascinated with WHY people do things, especially darker things like murder and suicide. For example, a few students at my university committed suicide a few months ago, and although I acknowledged that it was sad, I had a sort of morbid curiosity as to why they did it. I like to know what drives people to those extremes.

Traits that make me think INFP
  • I tend to always see the best in people first
  • I'm really flexible with plans. If someone changes plans on me, it doesn't really bother me that much and I can adapt well
  • When I have a crush, it's very intense and I will idealize that person, even if I barely know them
  • I don't make a lot of set goals, but I tend to go with the flow and accept things as they come
  • I had no idea what I wanted to do as a career. I changed my mind multiple times throughout high school and even college because I couldn't decide which was best for me
  • I like to get input from other people before I make decisions.
  • I don't like it when someone mindlessly conforms. I think it's extremely important to stand up for your beliefs, even if no one else agrees with you
  • I have a hard time concentrating and am VERY easily distracted, especially if forced to do something I'm not interested in
  • Might not be relevant to just INFP, but I've found that I really LOVE perceiving types. I love how laidback and relaxed they tend to be. My sister is an ESTJ and I dislike how rigid and unbending she is.
  • I dislike when people are fake and inauthentic. Even more so, I hate when someone compromises their values to fit in. That's probably one of the number one things that will turn me away from someone

Other Random Traits
  • I try to be a positive role model to others
  • I've noticed that when I'm with a group of people or other introverts, or people who seem really reserved or shy, I'll be outgoing and try to get them to open up. But when I'm in a group with really loud extroverts, I usually tend to withdraw
  • People tend to think I'm judging them when we first meet. They find me intimidating sometimes
  • I'm extremely resilient, a trait I'm really grateful for! I'm not really afraid to take risks because I know that even if it ends badly, I'll be able to bounce back pretty quickly
  • I'm not moody at all. I tend to be fairly content most of the time
  • If I'm interested in something I will obsessively research it
  • There are some people that I instantly like and other that I instantly don't. I do try to give everyone a chance but some people just rub me the wrong way right off the bat and I can't help it
  • I'm not a "live and let live" kind of person. To be honest, I feel like I can actually be pretty judgmental about certain things. It's one of my many weaknesses
  • I will listen to another's point of view, but if I don't agree, I don't mind arguing with them to try to get them to see it my way.
  • Strongly against things like moral relativism. I strongly believe in an absolute truth that does NOT vary from person to person.
  • I've always loved reading and writing, ever since I first learned how. I like to write lots of stories, mostly fiction, for fun.
  • I'm very optimistic and try to keep a positive attitude.
  • I'm always extremely aware of the time and looking at clocks. Time can stress me out
  • I am very forgiving and never hold grudges. I can sever relationships, but I will genuinely wish the best for the other person
  • If I feel like someone is hindering me in some way, especially morally, I will cut them from my life.
  • I don't believe that people can decide what is right or wrong for themselves. I believe we all need external guidance and help, like from a church, when making moral decisions
  • I believe that we're all the alike at the core. We're all searching for the same things. Maybe in different ways, but still the same things. And although we are unique in many ways, we all have the same basic needs and desires as humans.
  • I'm not a good listener at all. You can be talking to me and my mind will be on something else.
  • I feel like time flies by extremely fast. Sometimes I have to force myself to stop and enjoy the present moment
  • I tend to be very expressive when I talk and often smile, laugh, and joke around a lot in conversation
  • I love Disney movies and fairytales and I tend to be a hopeless romantic in that sense. People say that romance like that doesn't exist but I really DO believe that it does ;)
  • I also love scary/supernatural thriller movies. Especially movies like Insidious and The Exorcist (original). Not sure if it has anything to do with type but just throwing that out there!
  • My favorite show of all time is probably Rod Serling's 'The Twilight Zone'. Also like Sailor Moon. :) I like lots of shows from the 1950s/1960s like 'Leave It To Beaver', 'I Love Lucy' and 'Alfred Hitchcock'. I also like animated shows and things from the 1990s (90s kid!)) like 'Hey Arnold' and 'Are You Afraid of The Dark'. Again, this might have nothing to do with type but it might help??
  • I value childlike innocence and strive for it within myself
  • I don't usually have dreams when I sleep but when I do, they are usually about boring, mundane things
  • Peer pressure tended to have no effect on me
  • Often told I act too mature for my age
  • I'm not very "touchy feely" and I usually dislike hugs or too much physical affection of any kind

OK, this is getting to be incredibly long so I'll stop now. But hopefully that helps some.
Thanks to everyone who read the whole thing! Much appreciated. Let me know if you want to know anything else that might help.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Your INFJ list featured reasons that you have Ni/Fe, but the INFP didn't really have reasons for Fi/Ne. So I'm going to say INFJ for sure, out of those two.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
Okay guys, so I'm sure you've already seen many, many different people with the same problem, but your opinions and help on this would be appreciated!

Almost every single MBTI test and cognitive functions test I've taken (and I've taken just about every free test online I could find) has scored me as INFJ. But I have gotten INFP a few times as well. In cognitive functions I had excellent use of Fi, but also excellent use of Ni, just being slightly higher. Fe was also quite high. So I'm going to break it down for you and list some traits. Honestly I'm not sure if the traits I listed as INFJ or INFP are actually accurate, so feel free to correct me. And the 'Random Traits' is a list of traits that I wasn't really sure where to put, and might not be relevant to either type.

Traits that make me think INFJ
  • I don't like being the leader but will step up if nobody else is. When that happens, I try to make sure that everyone feels included and is given a place in the group.
  • I've often been accused of claiming to know someone better than they know themselves. Especially when giving advice.
  • I tend to eat a lot of junk food when I'm feeling stressed. I also like to drive really fast, run, or anything with speed really. I've read this is because of the inferior function of INFJ. When INFPs are stressed, supposedly they become really critical? Which does not happen with me, I'm rarely openly critical of others
  • Sometimes when I'm pondering a problem, I will go to bed and suddenly wake up the next morning and "get it", like everything just clicks into place
  • I'm good at picking out others' emotions, but terrible at figuring out what MINE actually are. For example, someone can make a rude comment to me and I will feel completely unaffected. But then later that night I might start thinking about the situation and start crying because I just realized how hurt I was by that comment.
  • Sometimes I am so caught up in the facial expressions and mannerisms of a person that I miss what they are actually SAYING with words
  • I'm a neat freak and tend to be very organized
  • I like to have things planned in advance and have some idea of what I'm getting into
  • I can see the potential in people and I love trying to help bring that out of them. It's one of the reasons I was interested in psychologist/counselor as a career
  • I'm fascinated with WHY people do things, especially darker things like murder and suicide. For example, a few students at my university committed suicide a few months ago, and although I acknowledged that it was sad, I had a sort of morbid curiosity as to why they did it. I like to know what drives people to those extremes.

Traits that make me think INFP
  • I tend to always see the best in people first
  • I'm really flexible with plans. If someone changes plans on me, it doesn't really bother me that much and I can adapt well
  • When I have a crush, it's very intense and I will idealize that person, even if I barely know them
  • I don't make a lot of set goals, but I tend to go with the flow and accept things as they come
  • I had no idea what I wanted to do as a career. I changed my mind multiple times throughout high school and even college because I couldn't decide which was best for me
  • I like to get input from other people before I make decisions.
  • I don't like it when someone mindlessly conforms. I think it's extremely important to stand up for your beliefs, even if no one else agrees with you
  • I have a hard time concentrating and am VERY easily distracted, especially if forced to do something I'm not interested in
  • Might not be relevant to just INFP, but I've found that I really LOVE perceiving types. I love how laidback and relaxed they tend to be. My sister is an ESTJ and I dislike how rigid and unbending she is.
  • I dislike when people are fake and inauthentic. Even more so, I hate when someone compromises their values to fit in. That's probably one of the number one things that will turn me away from someone

Other Random Traits
  • I try to be a positive role model to others
  • I've noticed that when I'm with a group of people or other introverts, or people who seem really reserved or shy, I'll be outgoing and try to get them to open up. But when I'm in a group with really loud extroverts, I usually tend to withdraw
  • People tend to think I'm judging them when we first meet. They find me intimidating sometimes
  • I'm extremely resilient, a trait I'm really grateful for! I'm not really afraid to take risks because I know that even if it ends badly, I'll be able to bounce back pretty quickly
  • I'm not moody at all. I tend to be fairly content most of the time
  • If I'm interested in something I will obsessively research it
  • There are some people that I instantly like and other that I instantly don't. I do try to give everyone a chance but some people just rub me the wrong way right off the bat and I can't help it
  • I'm not a "live and let live" kind of person. To be honest, I feel like I can actually be pretty judgmental about certain things. It's one of my many weaknesses
  • I will listen to another's point of view, but if I don't agree, I don't mind arguing with them to try to get them to see it my way.
  • Strongly against things like moral relativism. I strongly believe in an absolute truth that does NOT vary from person to person.
  • I've always loved reading and writing, ever since I first learned how. I like to write lots of stories, mostly fiction, for fun.
  • I'm very optimistic and try to keep a positive attitude.
  • I'm always extremely aware of the time and looking at clocks. Time can stress me out
  • I am very forgiving and never hold grudges. I can sever relationships, but I will genuinely wish the best for the other person
  • If I feel like someone is hindering me in some way, especially morally, I will cut them from my life.
  • I don't believe that people can decide what is right or wrong for themselves. I believe we all need external guidance and help, like from a church, when making moral decisions
  • I believe that we're all the alike at the core. We're all searching for the same things. Maybe in different ways, but still the same things. And although we are unique in many ways, we all have the same basic needs and desires as humans.
  • I'm not a good listener at all. You can be talking to me and my mind will be on something else.
  • I feel like time flies by extremely fast. Sometimes I have to force myself to stop and enjoy the present moment
  • I tend to be very expressive when I talk and often smile, laugh, and joke around a lot in conversation
  • I love Disney movies and fairytales and I tend to be a hopeless romantic in that sense. People say that romance like that doesn't exist but I really DO believe that it does ;)
  • I also love scary/supernatural thriller movies. Especially movies like Insidious and The Exorcist (original). Not sure if it has anything to do with type but just throwing that out there!
  • My favorite show of all time is probably Rod Serling's 'The Twilight Zone'. Also like Sailor Moon. :) I like lots of shows from the 1950s/1960s like 'Leave It To Beaver', 'I Love Lucy' and 'Alfred Hitchcock'. I also like animated shows and things from the 1990s (90s kid!)) like 'Hey Arnold' and 'Are You Afraid of The Dark'. Again, this might have nothing to do with type but it might help??
  • I value childlike innocence and strive for it within myself
  • I don't usually have dreams when I sleep but when I do, they are usually about boring, mundane things
  • Peer pressure tended to have no effect on me
  • Often told I act too mature for my age
  • I'm not very "touchy feely" and I usually dislike hugs or too much physical affection of any kind

OK, this is getting to be incredibly long so I'll stop now. But hopefully that helps some.
Thanks to everyone who read the whole thing! Much appreciated. Let me know if you want to know anything else that might help.

I am voting for INFP as your type. I am INFP myself and I relate to everything you wrote here.

Disliking hugs and physical affection of any sort? That's a common tendency among Fi types, I have always disliked those type of things as well and I've been called cold and aloof by the people around me.

And when INFPs become stressed, they become critical? I disagree with that. As an INFP, when I'm stressed, I will withdraw and hide myself from the entire world. I am rarely critical of people, even when I am under stressed. I also have this tendency to sleep on my problems and then wait for the answer to pop up to me.

I love reading and writing too. I used to borrow at least 8 books per week from the library during my childhood days.

Similar as you, I am also a very forgiving person and rarely hold grudges. Life is too short to hold grudges with people, eh? Fi types usually tend be more forgiving than Fe types, if there is any type that holds grudges most, it's Fe types.

Always seeing the best in people, I always do that as well, and this is common among Fi-Ne types.

I think INFP fits for your type. Just the way you wrote this post already made me think you are an INFP. The way you bullet all your points seems like a very Te writing style, and INFPs use Te.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your INFJ list featured reasons that you have Ni/Fe, but the INFP didn't really have reasons for Fi/Ne. So I'm going to say INFJ for sure, out of those two.

Ummm... items on that INFP list were either P related, Fi related, or typical FiNe.... so I'm not sure what you missed there.

That being said, there seems to be traits similar to both types. So you'd probably have to post a vid / list traits unrelated (in your mind) to INFP or INFJ so we can see a bigger picture and how things fit together.

Also, MBTI isn't a round hole into which to beat square pegs. People are more complex. I have traits spanning INTP, INFP, ENTP, and INFJ (for example) even if I know my bottom line on things. You might have traits that more typically appear in some other types, which can confuse the issue -- our environment and upbringing do contribute to more complex development than if we solely got to use/rely on our personal preferences.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also, MBTI isn't a round hole into which to beat square pegs. People are more complex. I have traits spanning INTP, INFP, ENTP, and INFJ (for example) even if I know my bottom line on things. You might have traits that more typically appear in some other types, which can confuse the issue -- our environment and upbringing do contribute to more complex development than if we solely got to use/rely on our personal preferences.

Interesting. I've found that I have INFJ, INFP and ENTP traits, but INTP really fits best. Don't use it to fit yourself into a box... people don't belong there.

indigo_skies

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
9w1
Thanks for all the input everyone.

So far, 1 person decided INFJ, and 1 person decided INFP....anyone care to break the tie?

And as one of you suggested, I might just have to post a video talking about something. It'll probably be easier to determine that way.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm an INFJ and I also score fairly high for Fi and Ne.

You seem INFJ to me. Your thing about wanting to know what drives people to commit suicide, knowing the emotions of others better than your own, getting caught up in someone's body language over what they're saying, and believing that we're all alike at the core seem INFJ to me.

Are you in your mid-late twenties?

indigo_skies

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
9w1
Are you in your mid-late twenties?

Yes, I'm 24.

I'll check out all the links that were posted and take what everyone said into consideration. I think I have what I need now to make a decision...thanks again everyone!