User Tag List

123 Last

Default Why do people type me as xSFJ?

- I'm not big on structure, I actually hate structured environments, & I prefer a live & let live attitude.
    - I don't rely on past experiences to guide me in the present.
    Now, my ESTJ grandma that I live with definitely does. She says things like, "that's not how I've always done it" "this is the way my mom did it" "I've been doing it this way for over 50 years" & to my grandpa "I'm sure that's not how your mom taught you" & "is that how you were raise?"
    I always say that I don't think time duration is a good measure of if you should do something or not.
    - I'm not hesitant to try new things & I hate repetition. I would literally love to cook a different meal every day, so that I never eat the same thing twice. My ISFJ grandpa thinks that's ridiculous & eats the same thing for lunch every day around the same time. I also would like different activities & new places to go all the time. There's actually nothing I enjoy more.

Maybe I'm over analyzing, but I just don't see any parallels between me & my SJ family members. I'm not saying this to be mean towards SJs either, they can be wonderful, but I just don't think I am one. After all, I should know if I relate to it or not, right?

Soooo.... thoughts?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

Is it members of this forum typing you or people you are speaking to in "real life?"

I would take any typing from forum members whom you've never met with a huge grain of salt--they're only seeing a few exaggerated facets of your personality which might not be wholly representative of who you actually are.

I'm not sure why they're seeing ISFJ. You have to figure this out on your own. Advice from others might be helpful, but remember it's just advice and not the gospel.

Also remember that SJs, I think even more than the other types, have associated with them very extreme stereotypes that might make any SJ question their SJness.
    Give me clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
    Is it members of this forum typing you or people you are speaking to in "real life?"

I would take any typing from forum members whom you've never met with a huge grain of salt--they're only seeing a few exaggerated facets of your personality which might not be wholly representative of who you actually are.

I'm not sure why they're seeing ISFJ. You have to figure this out on your own. Advice from others might be helpful, but remember it's just advice and not the gospel.

Also remember that SJs, I think even more than the other types, have associated with them very extreme stereotypes that might make any SJ question their SJness.
    Yeah, it's other forum members that have typed me as that. Thanks. I also think I suck at answering questionnaires, so that's probably why I get mistyped too.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

Quote Originally Posted by DreamBeliever View Post
    Yeah, it's other forum members that have typed me as that. Thanks. I also think I suck at answering questionnaires, so that's probably why I get mistyped too.
    There's nothing wrong with being an ISFJ, but of course I can understand the frustration that might arise when you know you're not a certain type but people keep insisting. At the same time, if it's a lot of members insisting, then I wouldn't rule it out completely. Take an objective look at yourself and consider why they might be seeing this. Ask them for more info on how they arrived at that conclusion--sometimes the objective analysis of others can be illuminating. If they're just saying, "You're ____ type" but not saying why, then I wouldn't pay them much attention
    Give me clarity
    Likes DreamBeliever liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being an ISFJ, but of course I can understand the frustration that might arise when you know you're not a certain type but people keep insisting. At the same time, if it's a lot of members insisting, then I wouldn't rule it out completely. Take an objective look at yourself and consider why they might be seeing this. Ask them for more info on how they arrived at that conclusion--sometimes the objective analysis of others can be illuminating. If they're just saying, "You're ____ type" but not saying why, then I wouldn't pay them much attention
    I feel like they base it on a sentence or 2, & then wait for you to say something that could seem like that type again, so they can be like "gotcha!" I've read their reasons, but I don't see myself in them. If I was that type, shouldn't what they're saying 'click'?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

I feel like they base it on a sentence or 2, & then wait for you to say something that could seem like that type again, so they can be like "gotcha!" I've read their reasons, but I don't see myself in them. If I was that type, shouldn't what they're saying 'click'?
    There seem to be a lot of "gotcha" moments on this forum when it comes to people typing one another. I suppose it's par for the course.
    Give me clarity
    Likes DreamBeliever liked this post

I'm always confused ( yeah I'm lookin at you too @Starcrash ) when people create "type me" threads but then reject the input of others on the basis of "well, they haven't known me for my entire life."

Typology was, in fact, created as a way to understand another's personality without having been their best friend for the last 50 years.

No one's goin "gotcha" <-until now

ISFP 9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    I'm always confused ( yeah I'm lookin at you too @Starcrash ) when people create "type me" threads but then reject the input of others on the basis of "well, they haven't known me for my entire life."

Typology was, in fact, created as a way to understand another's personality without having been their best friend for the last 50 years.

ISFP 9w1
    So ISFP 9w1 for me, you're thinking? Back it up?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post

ISFP 9w1
    It occurred to me that I might appear hypocritical with my response. Um, got me, I suppose? I don't know what to tell you, but I stopped making such threads for the same reasons I cited earlier.

Also, I highly doubt the internet was envisioned when typology was created. I'm not expecting typologists to know a person's life story, but they're only getting a brief and limited glance at a person if they're looking at some seventeen magazine styled Q & A on a forum with little other information to work from.
    Give me clarity