• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ or INFP?

Destiny

A wannabe dog
I don't know much about Gandhi, but I image it's more likely an Fe user would lead his people and practice non-violence. But this is neither here nor there.

I don't think writing styles matter, but can you give me specific examples of my Fi and Ne? I mean, using the things I've said as an example.

Writings styles does matter, we can actually spot people's cognitive functions from their writing style. Anyway, what makes me rule out INTJ as your type is because INTJs are Ni doms and their writing is usually very symbolic/abstract and people are often left to their own imagination to interpret what the INTJ is writing, but from what I've noticed in your writing, your writing just doesn't seem that symbolic/abstract enough to be an Ni dom. I don't have any sample of an INTJ writing at the moment, but if you want to know how an Ni dom looked like, you can take a look at some of Carl Jung's writing. He is an INFJ, and his writing is all very abstract and symbolic.

And I haven't seen much Ni or Ne in your OP, which makes me doubt that you have intuition as your dominant function, since people usually reveal their dominant function in their posts.
I only saw lots of Fi in your OP, the way you mentioned how you are often skeptical of people's intentions thinking they might want something from you. That part is very Fi, Fi doms usually have this tendency to read between the lines, trying to look beneath the masks that people wear, trying to figure out people's true selves because Fi doms have a strong need for authenticity.

I'm not sure what type you are, but I don't think you are an INTJ. I recommend you to look into INFP, ISFP, and ISTJ as some of your possible types.

..you do your own work, stop being such a lazy 4w5 So/Sx.

Ne is your reliance upon others, seeking-actively in the now moment. Ti is the desire for such!

Use your brain. Your trance is full of it? Conches is Ne lead, Agenda is Ti lead.

It's a no brainer. Did you not spend any time inter reflecting upon the knowledge I sheared with you?

Would you like me to come over and cook your dinner for you,so you can remain on the same relaxed plateau buzzing along with only that which interests you and sustains the relaxing self trancing spectrum you invest so much energy into each and every-Day?

Wake Up DickHead !

Says the one who is being a DickHead to the OP.

Nasalaley

Writings styles does matter, we can actually spot people's cognitive functions from their writing style.

Doubtful. Reading The Last Question and I, Robot, Asimov cannot stay focused. He shows a different perspective on an objective topic, but few would type him as anything other than INTJ. Then there is the whole INFP C.S. Lewis being considered INTJ thing.

Anyway, what makes me rule out INTJ as your type is because INTJs are Ni doms and their writing is usually very symbolic/abstract and people are often left to their own imagination to interpret what the INTJ is writing, but from what I've noticed in your writing, your writing just doesn't seem that symbolic/abstract enough to be an Ni dom.

Salvador Dali and James Joyce are as abstract as a person can get; both Ne users. Judging a person's type by how they write would be like judging a beauty contest by looking over a contestant's drawings. Anyway, we'll just have to disagree.

I'll consider Fi but with all due respect I'll reserve judgement for when Windoverlake returns. See, what I'm looking for is specific examples with an explanation. For someone to do something like this:

[Text from Life Story or questionaire]

Hey Nasalaley, this part of your post shows [cognitive function] because [reason].

Wake Up DickHead !

I guess he figured retracting the dickhead comment would stop me from flagging him.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
Doubtful. Reading The Last Question and I, Robot, Asimov cannot stay focused. He shows a different perspective on an objective topic, but few would type him as anything other than INTJ. Then there is the whole INFP C.S. Lewis being considered INTJ thing.

Salvador Dali and James Joyce are as abstract as a person can get; both Ne users. Judging a person's type by how they write would be like judging a beauty contest by looking over a contestant's drawings. Anyway, we'll just have to disagree.

I'll consider Fi but with all due respect I'll reserve judgement for when Windoverlake returns. See, what I'm looking for is specific examples with an explanation. For someone to do something like this:

Hey Nasalaley, this part of your post shows [cognitive function] because [reason].

I guess he figured retracting the dickhead comment would stop me from flagging him.

INTJ could still be a possibility.

It's just that you mentioned you are an INTJ who struggle with Te and this makes me start doubting INTJ as your type, because an INTJ with a weak Te would defeat the purpose of being an INTJ, doesn't it? Saying you are an INTJ with a weak Te is actually going against Jung's theory.

But yeah, I'm curious to see Windoverlake's opinions on your type. But if you are an Ni dom, I supposed INFJ would be a more possible type for you rather than INTJ

Nasalaley

I hate to come off like I'm arguing for Ni, but there are some things which do not make sense on both sides.

1) I have seen Introversion defined in two ways: A) Focusing on the inner world rather than the outer world. B) Preferring a small group or close friends to a large crowd.

For both A and B, I relate to the introvert. I constantly stroll through life either on autopilot or in my head unaware of what's around me. I honestly cannot see myself as an extrovert.

This of course means Fi, Ti, Si, or Ni must be my main function.

2) I see myself as judgmental of both the inner and outer world. I was trying to watch the Crow the other day, and found myself complaining out loud about the blatant symbolism, cartoony villains, etc. At one point early in the movie, the main character jumps and grabs hold of a window sill and swings back into his apartment and I said to myself "oh please don't do the christ thing" and sure enough a second later the camera cuts to his sliced hands. So I would say I am more judgmental of the outer world than I am of my inner; just by a hair.

3) I am not conscious of what I do most of the time. I imagine Ti and Fi are both aware: Ti of thoughts and Fi of what is 'right' and 'wrong', or 'good' or 'bad'. I do not look at something and think; not unless I'm lying supine on my bed. That is when I'm best at concentrating on the fact that I have a body and am living. As for feeling, I am willing to change values. It means nothing to me.

4) Between Ni and Si, I cannot see Si. My Grandpa is Si. He eats at the same fucking place every single day, and notices things that I wouldn't be able too. He's also extremely traditional whereas I don't see the point in preserving old ways in an ever changing world.

INFJ is extremely possible except for the "Fe loves everyone, wants to help people, and sees rainbows and lollipops". I could be a Schopenhauer INFJ. But INFP, ISFP, and INTJ are certainly possible. I'm skeptical of anyone who calls me Exxx as the only people I truly need approval from are my three family members. The world can burn as long as my family is okay.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
I hate to come off like I'm arguing for Ni, but there are some things which do not make sense on both sides.

1) I have seen Introversion defined in two ways: A) Focusing on the inner world rather than the outer world. B) Preferring a small group or close friends to a large crowd.

For both A and B, I relate to the introvert. I constantly stroll through life either on autopilot or in my head unaware of what's around me. I honestly cannot see myself as an extrovert.

2) I see myself as judgmental of both the inner and outer world. I was trying to watch the Crow the other day, and found myself complaining out loud about the blatant symbolism, cartoony villains, etc. At one point early in the movie, the main character jumps and grabs hold of a window sill and swings back into his apartment and I said to myself "oh please don't do the christ thing" and sure enough a second later the camera cuts to his sliced hands. So I would say I am more judgmental of the outer world than I am of my inner; just by a hair.

3) I am not conscious of what I do most of the time. I imagine Ti and Fi are both aware: Ti of thoughts and Fi of what is 'right' and 'wrong', or 'good' or 'bad'. I do not look at something and think; not unless I'm lying supine on my bed. That is when I'm best at concentrating on the fact that I have a body and am living. As for feeling, I am willing to change values. It means nothing to me.

4) Between Ni and Si, I cannot see Si. My Grandpa is Si. He eats at the same fucking place every single day, and notices things that I wouldn't be able too. He's also extremely traditional whereas I don't see the point in preserving old ways in an ever changing world.

INFJ is extremely possible except for the "Fe loves everyone, wants to help people, and sees rainbows and lollipops". I could be a Schopenhauer INFJ. But INFP, ISFP, and INTJ are certainly possible. I'm skeptical of anyone who calls me Exxx as the only people I truly need approval from are my three family members. The world can burn as long as my family is okay.

Introversion/extroversion is defined by our dominant cognitive function. If our lead function is Ne, Se, Te, or Fe, this would make us an extrovert. But if our lead function is Ni, Ti, Fi, Si, this would make us an introvert. There are actually some people who are a social introvert but a cognitive extrovert, it's rare, but such people does exist out there.

And I doubt Si is about traditions. This is how socionics described Si:

Socionics Information Elements: Si

Your Point Number 3 does sound like Ni, or at least a Pi function.

And not all Fe types are the sort who loves everyone and wants to help people. You haven't seen how a deranged and misanthropic INFJ looks like :D
Osama Bin Laden is a good example of a deranged INFJ that uses his Fe for evil purpose.

Needing approval from only your family members and the rest of the world can burn isn't correlated to being an introvert/extrovert btw, it's an Fi trait.

Nasalaley

And not all Fe types are the sort who loves everyone and wants to help people. You haven't seen how a deranged and misanthropic INFJ looks like

*See's a thousand black boxes on Celebritytypes* Nope :mellow:

Socionics Information Elements: Si

If we're using socionics as a reference then I can tell you right now the ILI description is pretty much my biography.

Si is associated with the ability to internalize sensations and to experience them in full detail. Si focuses on tangible, direct (external) connections (introverted) between processes (dynamic) happening in one time, i.e. the physical, sensual experience of interactions between objects. This leads to an awareness of internal tangible physical states and how various physical fluctuations or substances are directly transferred between objects, such as motion, temperature, or dirtiness. The awareness of these tangible physical processes consequently leads to an awareness of health, or an optimum balance with one's environment. The individual physical reaction to concrete surroundings is main way we perceive and define aesthetics, comfort, convenience, and pleasure.

Nope nope nope.

ILIs generally place moderate to minimal importance on such matters as cleanliness, comfort, and sensory stimuli. Some ILIs may perceive these elements as a distraction. It is not atypical of ILIs to be completely uninterested by and unable to find any value in something such as a piece of fine artwork. Different ILIs respond to different such artistic stimuli in different ways; for example, an ILI might scorn painting as being worthless but possess sufficient background to enjoy other media, such as sculpture or music.

ILIs are often uncertain about the messages that their own body sends them. An ILI might feel some irregularity in their own body and be unsure as to its significance in the overall functioning of the body. An ILI will seek to determine the consequence of such stimuli through their own understanding of the functioning of the human body -- often with minimal success at determining the true cause, and often blowing things significantly out of proportion.

Yep.

Needing approval from only your family members and the rest of the world can burn isn't correlated to being an introvert/extrovert btw, it's an Fi trait.

My example was a tad over-dramatic but I think you know what I meant.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Brought this over from your Life Story thread:

I’ve decided to write open prompt because there are few questionnaires, and many of the questions are easy to manipulate. The last thing I want to do is let my biases for Ti and Ni force me to mislead you all as I’ve done before.

So where do I began? Do I dig into my clouded memories and attempt to drag out a flimsy snippet? (See, right there I tried to play down Si, but in truth I am not a databank of detailed sensations, mostly because my mind wanders and I have trouble concentrating — is this Ne or an attention problem?) I suppose the best thing would be to reference home movies. My whole life I’ve played things up for other people (not trying to be obvious Fe, but I do sincerely feel as if I’ve played a role or done things just to get a reaction) and it shows in the home movies. There are only three I recall, simply because they are so embarrassing to watch that it’s hard to forget. I’ve never thought I would tell anyone about these situations, but here it goes.

Real quick, let me say that I loved the camera. (How do I know that? No idea, but even to this day I pretend to hate attention when at times it validates me (something F maybe?)[/COLOR] When the camera was on me, I’d act foolish. The first video is my younger brother’s birthday (not sure how old he was, but he was young enough not to talk much). Was I jealous that he was receiving all the attention? Not sure, but in the video I spoke to him in a put on high-pitched voice. When he opened a present I’d say “ [brother’s name] that’s soooooo coooool. Oh wooooow.” I think I picked up the baby talk from a relative, but it’s hard to imagine this was me being myself. It seemed like I just couldn’t shut up in that video; I was very annoying.

The second video is me running around a pool, patting my ass while pretending to ride a horse, while shouting “ride em’ bullseye!” For emphasis: THE. WHOLE. VIDEO. I suppose Toy Story 2 was the influence.

The third video is me in a kiddy pool. The adults were in the big pool (was it a circular, above ground kind?), but I was too little. When the camera came in my direction, I dipped my hand in the water, licked my hand, and said something along the lines of “yucky yucky nipple sucky.” I have no idea what that was about, but I do remember that for as long as I can recall, I’ve always hated being treated as a child; saying those types of things may have been a rebellion. I knew when adults talked down to me, and I hated the hierarchy (and I’ve not trying to sway you guys to say that I have inferior Te).

Another strange thing is that I wasn’t potty trained until the day before kindergarten. I’m not sure if I had actual trouble going, or if it was an attention thing I played up.

As for school, my mother told me “be friends with everyone” (terrible advice; I think she meant “get along with everyone”). She instilled this idea in my head, that I’d need to get along with everyone. I’m not sure how she did it, but throughout my school career I always tried to be friendly with everyone. However, I would often say strange, inappropriate things and make esoteric references/jokes (could you give some examples of these?). Sometimes I did these things on purpose, but other times I just didn’t know what was right. Every friend I had either put me down because of my weight, or I let them take advantage of me because I was resolute to be kind. Now, as a student I didn’t try very hard to study near the end (starting around High School), but I always turned my work in on time, did what the teachers asked, and unfortunately became the pet to many.

In fourth grade, I had decided to be an extremely kind person. We had to play a game that started by taking as many skittles as we wanted. I took 5. So, when it turned out we had to answer a question for each, you get the idea. One of the questions was to answer the teacher’s age, and I guessed 25. Did I really think 25 or was I kissing ass? No idea, but when she read the answer she called me honey and gave me a handful of skittles. I was one of her favorite students, the favorites of two in sixth grade, admired by one in eight grade, the favorite of one in High School, and one or two in community college. (By CC I was tired of it. I mean, why do teachers have to act like my best friend simply because I do my work on time like all students are suppose to?)

Now, going backwards, there is something I want to touch on. There was a girl in HS I was interested in. You see, I live in a small hick town where self-respect is hard to come by (can you elaborate?). There was an average looking girl that could be considered pretty (kind of looked like Lauren Cohen in Season 1 of TWD). I remember just deciding to like her, just because she was snoody, hard-working and had an air of self-respect. The problem was I was a fat (still am), insecure (still am), effeminate (still am), moron who acted like Chris Farley on Cocaine in that class. I also had no idea how to be my own person and act appropriately (This sounds like a possible Fi-Ni loop). One day I had a friend who read some PUA books (I know…a total scam) help me message her on FB. She seemed to take kindly to the message, but later on I took initiative and my insecurity shone through. I sent her the music video of Wonderwall and all she could say was that the guy had weird eyebrows. Eventually, she told me she liked someone else and I told her I hope he breaks her heart. I haven’t like Wonderwall since, and me and her avoided each other for the rest of the year. I saw her in CC and we avoided each other once again. I actually had a dream the other night that we were together and I was happy. I’ve always been on the fence about a God, but in the dream I thought “this is evidence that God exists. This is fate.” Then I woke up. I’m a bit teary-eyed writing about this.

Speaking of how I write about this, none of this is pre-planned. I’m writing as I go (so don’t think the writing style is evidence for Ne. Ne does not always equal randomness), but as usual I took a break and walked around the house while listening to music that I don’t actually care for. It’s strange, but when I feel indignant I listen to stupid music (Every Girl by Young Money, Good Pussy by Papa Duck, etc. I don’t even care about rap, so this doesn’t make sense to me.) When I feel sad I listen to Shinji Ikari by Fightstar, or Bitch Don’t Kill My Vibe (the beat is very depressing to me). When I feel like acting a fool, I listen to strange music. Etc.

If I were to objectively analyze myself, I’d say that I’m a victim (this just seems unhealthy) of learned helplessness. My mother sheltered me from the world, so I’ve pretty much avoided living life. Never had a gf, first date, first kiss, etc. (I'm now leaning towards the Fi-Ni loop; possibly you're repressing/ignoring your Se) My mom says I need to get laid but I really see the cons in pursuing such a relationship. See the terrible anime School Days for an extreme reference. I’m afraid that my whole life will be spent here, and yes I can find a job, save money and leave, but I just can’t. (Plus I’m stuck going for my B.A.) Also, I seem to display traits of (again, possibly an Fi-Ni loop) aspergers, Schizotypal personality disorder (scored 100% on the Celebritytypes test), histrionic personality disorder (like my mother, although mine is a bit hidden as I work against it), and Borderline personality disorder. Not to say that I have any of these disorders, but I can relate to many of the traits. Sometimes I play it up. For example, I pretend to take things too literally. Or I pretend to fail to understand hidden implications. But I think it’s just to test my mother, and she is a not so observant ENFP/ESFJ. I think I do want something to be wrong with me so I can feel special or rare. For example, this is the reason for my Ni bias.

I’ve been to three therapists (different intervals of time) and the only one that knew anything said I have mild agoraphobia and that’s the only problem. But since he was recommended by a quack who thinks I have a serotonin deficiency which causes depression (despite the fact that no neuro scientists seem to agree, as they believe serotonin deficiency is linked to depression, and not a cause) then I can’t really trust him either.

I’ve known for a long time that I’ve wanted to tell stories (of course this isn't strictly Fi, but I think the desire to tell stories is Fi in this context), but it wasn’t until last year I’ve discovered the proper form to pursue: writing (I know none of this is well written, but I’m always rushing things as if I’m against the clock) (Se, most likely). I can’t seem to plan my book. I have a few ideas, and some for characters, but I just can’t find the energy to work it all out. And I can’t improvise a novel to save my life. This is because I often will re-read something, hate it, and then instead of modifying delete the whole thing. This is how I am. I need my book to contain more words than any other, and to be the best. When I play Civ 5, the game has to be perfect from the beginning or I get frustrated in restart. I’m that kind of guy. P.S. I use Rotten Tomatoes scores to dictate which movies I should watch. (Seeing Fi-Ni now; Se is your key to balance, though. Expressing yourself and writing stories is great, but gaming is not a healthy Se expression if you're not getting some form of Se-based activity in your routine. I think getting out in the world and being physical is good for all types, though.)

I suppose the things I need to work on more than anything are: A) becoming more independent B) learning to focus and become motivated to get things done C) taking time out of my time wasting schedule to introspect D) try and read as much as I can, as I have a desire to have a mechanical mind. (could be Se function calling for your attention)

Speaking of mechanical mind, I wish I was like Near from Death Note. This is another strange thing about me, I try to be fictional characters. When I had a period where I was fascinated by L Lawliet, I would try to sit like him and eat a lot of sweets. I’ve done things like this many times.

A fictional character I do relate to is that guy from Welcome to the NHK (he was typed as Fi in the show). We are both home bodies — I seriously do next to nothing, paranoid, and our mind has trouble staying in the moment (not trying to influence anyone that I have low Se, but I do hate sports and most physical activities). (bypassing Se; Fi-Ni loop)

When I walk around with music, I use my head to either create interpretive music videos, or sing with a group of fictional friends in the near future. When I was younger I use to listen to Your Love It Feels So Good and create Pokemon amvs within my head, before even knowing what an amv was.

As of today, I dislike most people, have trust issues, am paranoid and pessimistic.

I think I’ve covered just about everything. Thanks for reading. If you tl’dr, then I understand, but I’m still irked you feel the need to tell me.

Red = Fi
Blue = Se
Yellow = Ni
Green = Te
Grey = my comments/questions

I should have read your Life Story post first, because that post and your postings in this thread differ enormously.

There's a lot of Fi in your Life Story entry, and I see evidence of looping: either Fi-Ni or Ni-Fi. Just based on your writings on this thread and the Life Story thread, I can only say that I think you could be ISFP or INTJ. If you're an ISFP look to Se; if you're an INTJ look to Te. I had colours for the other functions (Ne, Si, Fe, Ti) but didn't pick them up in your Life Story, which leads me to think you might be more ISFP than INTJ; also dearth of Te. Your concern with self-image and specialness does seem more ISFP than INTJ.

Now let's factor in some posts from this current thread.

You truly do not seem like any kind of XXXP to me. You certainly don't write like one.

In this thread. In Life Story, you write like an XXXP.

This strikes a chord. People have told me countless times that this makes me Ne because "Ni types would just know", yet my moods, surroundings, and people have had an effect on the way I perceive myself. It is a never ending circle of Misanthropic--sensitive--objective--sensitive--objective--misanthropic. When Sensitive I can be either Fi or an Fe from an emotional distance, when objective I think of myself as a cold hard NT, and when Misanthropic I wonder if I'm a Scrooge-esque feeler or an immature thinker.

Sounds like looping.

I'm sort of like Nick Offerman in speech. Maybe it's put on. I don't know.

Again, I can't say if this is me now or if I've always been like this or if I'll always be like this.

Personally, I have yet to know an NT in any level of development who puts on a mask and not know it. Anecdotal, but I do know a fair number of NTs.

Writings styles does matter, we can actually spot people's cognitive functions from their writing style.

Nasalaley, we're basically typing you through your writing style. That said, I don't think you can truly type someone only from writing samples, unless you have access to unedited personal journals spanning someone's life, and that that someone recorded their reflections in an unfiltered manner. But instinctual stacking/Enneagram can sometimes come through more clearly, again, depending on how edited the sample piece is.

A total generalisation, but Fe will be less depth-oriented than Fi. So in that sense the rainbows and lolly thing is, in the most generic sense, accurate. Any extraverted function is dependent upon what is outside of the person; it spreads, like a coating. Any introverted function is very impacted and solid, so no matter what it is there will be something sharp/hot/laser-like/claustrophobic about it. Introverted functions are albinic.

I agree, you are an introvert.

If we're using socionics as a reference then I can tell you right now the ILI description is pretty much my biography.

Unless you understand the components of Socionics, it might be more confusing to try and work with both systems. I thought I was an INFp-Fe, but when I took the test INFp came in third or fourth place, after ENXj and I think ENXp.

Final thoughts:

Given Life Story, I think you're more feeler than thinker, but there's the looping to consider. If ISFP is accurate, then Se would be the way you pull yourself out; walking, photography, even looking out the window instead of gaming. If INTJ is accurate, then Te avenues: chess, debate club, reading non-fiction and a lot of it, discussions with fellow INTJs. Having read Life Story, which is unedited and free-form, you might be able to rule out INTJ.

I meant what I said in one of my earlier responses to you, that it's best to step away from typology altogether. You're over-thinking that which does not need to be over-thought. This kind of thing becomes clearer on its own through life participation. Balance out all that introspection, you have to test drive that which you mine in your introspections. Affirm your boundaries and balance self-criticism with self-compassion.

If you're still dogged about being typed, the best thing would be to post an unedited, interview-type video of yourself so that we can see the somewhat wholer version of you.

Nasalaley

@ Windoverlake Hot damn. This is what I was looking for.

The other person said I was INTJ and you thought so too although now you say ISFP. The three of us agree on the introversion and you both agree on Ni-Se axis and Fi-Te axis (which made the most sense to me).

I had considered ISFP long ago, but dismissed it because of my lack of present observation. However, if Se is seeing things for what they are vs what they could be, then Se>Ne. I'm better at seeing deeper meanings than seeing alternatives to objective objects. Yeah man, ISFP seems fine :D

Plus, I see myself as a bit like Sid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5KIMDCM93o

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
@ Windoverlake Hot damn. This is what I was looking for.

The other person said I was INTJ and you thought so too although now you say ISFP. The three of us agree on the introversion and you both agree on Ni-Se axis and Fi-Te axis (which made the most sense to me).

I had considered ISFP long ago, but dismissed it because of my lack of present observation. However, if Se is seeing things for what they are vs what they could be, then Se>Ne. I'm better at seeing deeper meanings than seeing alternatives to objective objects. Yeah man, ISFP seems fine :D

Plus, I see myself as a bit like Sid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5KIMDCM93o

Yes, I apologise for not having read Life Story earlier, but glad you resonate with ISFP. It's easy to pick up on the functions, but slightly more attention is required when putting them in the right order. ISFP is also the Artisan/Artist archetype, which fits you quite well in that respect.

Also: Se doesn't only mean competitive sports. It's anything that involves the five senses and using your body, so going to art galleries and museums, taking photographs, walking in the park, learning an instrument, cooking, painting, gardening, taking a shop class, these are all Se activities.

Have fun and see you around the forums!