• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's my instinctual subtype?

What's my instinctual subtype?

• sp/sx

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • sp/so

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • sx/sp

• sx/so

• so/sp

• so/sx

• Total voters

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I've taken some tests but they're not clear on my instinctual subtype. Very confusing. So I answered one of the questionnaires available to find out more as I do not have a clue.

Anyway, here's me opening up to you.

Self-Preservation (Need to protect and preserve)
1. Do you tend to save money and are cautious about spending it?
Yes – especially since becoming a parent, I've got a family to feed. I've always been cautious of spending though, if there's something I want, I'll put off buying it until I can afford it.

2. Are you security oriented? Ready to protect yourself, those close to you and your resources?
I've thought about what to do if for example, someone broke into the house or I got attacked, but it isn't a case we have weapons lying around everywhere (this isn't America). I suppose, in conjunction with the above, I'm making sure I don't have much that's worth stealing.

3. Are you fairly consistent? Like things known and regular? No big changes?
Sometimes. It's good to have a bit of grounding, but regular routine stuff is not me at all, I'm no good at getting into habits and I like change. A lot of the time I feel there isn't enough change (for the better).

4. Do you dislike taking big risks unless it's a "sure" thing?
I like to know some background as to what is going on before I commit to anything. A lot of the time, I'm asked for faith in other people's decisions, if I disagree with their point of view, I'll question it if I can. If its something I'm doing by myself, and I feel OK with it, I will take risks – I trust my own judgement more than that of others.

5. Are you fairly private? Not revealing too much to strangers?
To be honest, I like to open up to others, but there has been so many instances in the past where it has been to my detriment, so I don't so much nowadays. I am a weird person I admit, but I would like others to know and accept me better, without me trying to break the ice and pushing them away in the process. I'm careful to who I open to, I guess.

6. Do you tend to be introverted?
I need my me-time, and I do internalise my thinking. I'm MBTI typed as a definite Introvert anyway and I agree with it.

7. Do you understand money? Securities? Investments?
Yes, very much. I also work in the financial sector, so I do know more than most about these types of thing.

8. Do you tend to plan for the future? Ready for emergencies?
Kind of, but I prefer to live for the moment. We've got a couple packets of toilet rolls and several cans of soup.

9. Are you concerned about health? Safety? Comfort? Home? Hearth?
I worry about this shit all the time. I do what I can but it's not enough.

10. Are you worried about what may go wrong? Tend to imagine worse case scenarios?
Again, all the time, I'm a natural worrier.

11. Do you like things spelled out? Details? Exact information? Guarantees?
I prefer to. Since other people like to hold me to account, I like to know exactly what I'm being made responsible for.

12. In relationships do you take care of others financially?
Well, I'm the current breadwinner so yes, but that's a life circumstance rather than choice. I would naturally prefer to though.

Social (Need for Social Validation) - Can show up with strong focus on groups, organizations, family, world, friends, your surroundings, your social image
1. Do you need or really like social validation?
It would be nice, but I know it is rarely forthcoming. I like to make people laugh so they accept me more. Thing is, I won't pretend to like something I don't, just to be accepted by others, e.g. in the UK, if you don't have an interest in football (as in soccer, not the rugby-like sport with plastic armour), you will find it difficult to be accepted by other men. I tried being a fan but it wasn't me.

2. Is social image important to you?
Yes, to some extent it matters what other people think of me. I have no idea what people think of me (probably next to nothing). I don't like it when I annoy people, but at the same time, I know people in any group can naturally dislike me, sometimes for no apparent reason, that I'm fine with.

3. Do you have desires/fantasies of being rewarded in a social or public arena?
It would be nice, besides (as above) it is also nice to see the look on people's faces who don't like me. Selfishly, the material/financial benefit is also important.

4. Do you think about your affect on others, groups, organizations, and the world?
Somewhat, but not as much as I think I should. Sometimes you have to make hard decisions that hurt people, even if it is the right thing to do at the time.

5. Is it very important to you to look good in public, groups, work, and the world? Is name recognition important, either yours or others?
Yes, but moreso in the case that if you upset certain people, they will make it their job to knock you down.

6. Are you upset if you don't get enough validation, reward for the hard and creative work you do in a social context or for a social cause?
Yes, being ignored is worse than negativity.

7. Are you involved in groups, organizations and team oriented activities?
I'm not. There is nothing local that interests me, and besides, I rarely have the time.

8. Is belonging to special groups or being a leader of a group important to you?
It's a rare occurrence but yes. I like having responsibility and importance (but not 24/7). I'm inexperienced with leadership though.

9. Are you strongly upset if you feel not included or rejected by a group or family or not invited to a social event?
Only when it is something I'm interested in, and they know I am, otherwise I'm not that bothered.

10. Do you make your money through your association with groups affecting a large number of people?
No. Even in my day job, I think there are far too many meetings.

11. Do you get really upset if you make a social faux pas? Do you think about and plan out how you will be or present yourself in public?
Since it happens all the time, I don't care so much, bit a big faux pas, yes. I don't think or plan about how to present myself, I just do what I do. Presentations/speeches I have learned to plan and practice though.

12. Are you the social instigator and connector in your family?
No, I prefer to keep my distance most of the time.

Relationship (Need for 1 to 1 or Relationship Closeness)
1. Do you define yourself through a romantic or close partnership? Is closeness with another person of paramount importance?
I am more of an individual but if I'm alone too much, I do need that connection with someone else.

2. Do you like intense energy, particularly in relating to people? Are you energized when you have a revealing conversation or engagement with another, particularly a special other?
I've learned to be careful about revealing myself to others, it's something I've readily done in the past and many have taken advantage of that, or be pushed away. I would rather other people open to me first to build my trust in them.

3. Do you tend to focus more attention on close relationships than money?
Money is everything in today's society. I've ended quite a few friendships because of money, again people taking advantage of me.

4. Does money relate to how a partner will see you more than security for yourself?
Seeing as everyone just wants to get into my pockets to take the money I don't have, yes.

5. Are money and resources less for self and more to please an intimate other?
They'd disagree but I spend more on others than I do myself.

6. Does your attention go more to how well you relate to a partner or potential partner than to other concerns?
Through my actions involving someone else, I want to make sure they're happy with it, yes.

7. Would others describe you as dramatic? Do you like to go deep with things?
I'm not known for pathos. But if there's something I'm passionate about, I like to go deep with it, though its best if there is someone else to go deep with.

8. Do you tend to be in the moment and not think as much about the future or your future security?
All the time. I am not a natural planner. Whatever happens, greatness, mediocrity or doom will happen.

9. Do you have an urge to merge? Do you "lose yourself" with an important other at times?
Yes, but people are seldom on my wavelength, so it doesn't happen as much as I would like.

10. Do you like risk taking? New experiences? Tend to get bored without enough stimulation particularly in the area of relationships?
If money was no object, then yes, I would take more risks and get involved with new experiences. And yes, I have been bored in relationships before, I don't like sameness etc.

11. Are you focused more on connection with another and forget your own priorities?
I often forget myself if when I'm with one of the people I care about, to make sure their needs are met. I can be a hospitable chap.

12. Do you focus a lot on sexuality, romantic fantasies or mystical spiritual experiences?
It forms a big part of my daydreams and imagination. I shouldn't have crushes as a married man, but I don't indulge them anyway. I've experimented with mystical and spiritual stuff in the past too.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I'm not great at typing people, but I voted anyway. :) sp/sx

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Why do you feel I'm sp/sx? I just need to understand your opinion more. Cheers.

Well one of my (again, bad) typing techniques is process of elimination. I didn't see the Social instinct as much as the others. Social types tend to be more community-minded, or perhaps adapting themselves to the groups into which they are put. For Self-Preservation, you made references to being very aware of spending and such--even in the questionnaire for the Social and Sexual instincts.

But then again, take it all with a grain of salt. Maybe the Self-pres vibe I'm getting is really just something that parents do/think about. I wouldn't know. :shrug:

yasin

Most Senior Member
But i have no idea on instinctual types though. You personality is very interesting:)

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Not the best questionnaire, but based on your answers I think you are soc-last. I can see both sx/sp and sp/sx, though, which makes sense since you are 5w4 INTP. Need more info, but will have to brain up some good questions. Will be back if/when I can design some.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
A lot of your answers in the self-preservation section seem rather circumstantial, and becoming a parent would naturally divert much of your focus to sp concerns.

How do others describe you? Do you move towards another, or do you prefer to remain pulled back?

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
A lot of your answers in the self-preservation section seem rather circumstantial, and becoming a parent would naturally divert much of your focus to sp concerns.

How do others describe you? Do you move towards another, or do you prefer to remain pulled back?

I've never really asked... I guess it depends on the other person. I do tend to keep other people at arm's length, only because I've been hurt in the past, even if I'm interested in them. It's not what I want though. I'm also wary of getting close to people as they seem to get creeped out a lot by it.

I'm also not close to my family. I think it's a case of being too different and not sharing many interests. I need to get away from people sometimes (as introverts do) but I hate being alone for too long.

This isn't helping, is it?

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've never really asked... I guess it depends on the other person. I do tend to keep other people at arm's length, only because I've been hurt in the past, even if I'm interested in them. It's not what I want though. I'm also wary of getting close to people as they seem to get creeped out a lot by it.

I'm also not close to my family. I think it's a case of being too different and not sharing many interests. I need to get away from people sometimes (as introverts do) but I hate being alone for too long.

This isn't helping, is it?

No, still an even tie in my head. Possibly a slight lean to sp/sx, but it's just a hunch at this point.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
No, still an even tie in my head. Possibly a slight lean to sp/sx, but it's just a hunch at this point.

Maybe the fact I withdrew for a few days when I was down has something to say. Yeah I'd understand Sp/Sx.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Maybe the fact I withdrew for a few days when I was down has something to say. Yeah I'd understand Sp/Sx.

I take it that you've researched both stackings and can't quite decide which fits you best?

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I take it that you've researched both stackings and can't quite decide which fits you best?

Yes. I don't think I'm Social, but it confused me when one of the tests told me I was. Don't think it was a good test tbh, I don't like to go with the crowd. I'd say Sp/Sx or Sx/Sp and maybe it's so close that it doesn't really matter which way round it is...

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
From the opinions on there, some people would call me cool and detached, which suggests more of an Sp/Sx leaning.

Having done a bit more research, I think sp/sx could be a better fit. I watched some videos posted in that thread link and there is a noticeable difference between the two stackings. Both energies are there, but they make their appearances in different ways, energetically.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Having done a bit more research, I think sp/sx could be a better fit. I watched some videos posted in that thread link and there is a noticeable difference between the two stackings. Both energies are there, but they make their appearances in different ways, energetically.

I've gone for it, I've updated my profile so it's official now :D