• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

XNXP help please!

Brinni

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hi

I'll try not to make this too tedious. I am in my late 30s so may be developing new functions.

First typed as INFP and sometimes INTP. Time spent in INFP forums was fun/interesting but lots of things didn't click with others.

Sometimes test as ENTP.

Consistently test as ENTp and 7w6 even though MBTI results differ.

Strong subjects are music, art and am presently taking a degree in Philosophy with Psychological Studies. I messed up in college.

Hobbies include roleplaying, board games, tabletop battle games, word and logic puzzles, reading (usually non fiction), sci fi and comedy films, running, making up recipes. With activities and concentration, I'm either 'on' or 'off'.

I can feel emotional sometimes (as everyone does!) - usually I will notice and struggle with negative emotion, but also I get excited/enthusiastic. I won't express negative emotion outwardly in front of others.

I have terrible trouble with procrastination.

I have virtually no friends, but am not bothered by it most of the time because I am not very certain of myself in interaction with others or when a relationship becomes a 'friendship'. I don't like sharing personal details and especially doing the emotional sharing thing.

I realise as I write this that I sound INTP but the non science bent confuses me on that and I'm not good at debate because my retorts are too slow and I have lacked confidence in myself for many years, although that's improved a lot lately. Why did I get INFP result to begin with if I'm not INFP?

That might not be much to go on, but I don't want this to be TLDR (which it might be already!). I'm happy to answer questions and thanks for reading.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Well the question I always ask first is to confirm introversion/extroversion. You seem like an introvert to me, but just to be sure:

-Do you recharge by being yourself, and feel drained after too much social interaction? or
-Do you recharge by being with others, and feel drained after too much alone time?

This can rule out ENTP. Also, just guessing, I think INTPs can seem like ENTPs. :)

P.S. I don't think all INTPs love to debate. And lack of confidence isn't really type-related.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
That might not be much to go on, but I don't want this to be TLDR (which it might be already!). I'm happy to answer questions and thanks for reading.
In order to get typed more accurately (which is what I assume you would want) it is better to provide as much information as possible. Filling out one of the questionnaires is a good way to start.

Brinni

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=24479]themightyfetus[/MENTION] [MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION] Thanks, I'll go and filll in the questionnaire.

Brinni

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I want to learn as much as I can about things that interest me. I sometimes feel that there is much to do and learn about in life and not enough time.

Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I had to be inventive and was learning at the same time. I had to think on my toes and adapt to the situation as I went along.

What makes you feel inferior?
I think the worst is if I am talking and someone talks over me/changes subject as if I'm not there or what I am saying is of no value or boring (maybe it is!). If I make a really stupid error when talking with others, like getting a word wrong.

What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
What makes the most sense in regard to outcomes, both short term and long term. I will decide which outcome stemming from which option is preferable in regards to overall gain. It pays for me to listen to my gut too and I think that works because I pick up subconsciously on small cues in my environment which culminate to give me an overall impression in certain circumstances.

When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Enjoyment of the process. I'm not usually all that bothered about the outcome, but more about the project involvement itself. I usually have an idea in my mind of what the outcome would be but more often than not I don't get to that point.

Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Exploring psychedelics in college alongside college work. It was like I was opening up a new part of my brain that had previously been locked away and it uncovered lots of new creative potential. All the times in my life that were highlights have been times when I have been learning new things. Learning is fun when the subject is engaging. I don't think there is anything much better.

When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?
I want to delve into it completely to the point of obsession. This can lead to me tiring of a subject too quickly and the excitement of that subject is over too fast (depending upon the subject) which can be a disappointment. I have learnt to pace myself so that I can not only enjoy the learning but also the anticipation of the learning too. Equally though, if the pace is too slow I will bore of it so it's a question of balance. How much I retain depends upon my level of interest.

How organized do you think of yourself as?
I'm not a well organized person. I know this and compensate by having some things set up (like spare tins of stuff because I forget to buy food sometimes). I am organized in my own way, but is in a disorganized way!

How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I would think how it could work based on practicality and what need it fulfills. I would look for flaws in it too and see how they could be improved.

You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Both. In a group situation I will try to make sure everyone feels included. I won't just agree with everyone else in a group if my opinion differs to theirs though.

Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
My natural inclination is to completely over-think anything I'm going to say to the point that I end up saying nothing at all but I have learnt to let go a bit on that and can now communicate more freely than before. I can enjoy the banter or a group situation but I would prefer in depth communication with one other interesting individual though.

Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
If I over-think something I might do nothing so I have learnt to just do things sometimes. I have a deal with myself to just say yes to certain types of things and think after.

It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Depends on who they are, where they will be going and how long since I last went out.

How do you act when you're stressed out?
I stress out infrequently but when I do I get picky about things. If I have to clean for visitors and I'm stressed for example, I will start noticing every little thing that's wrong and feel the need to try and fix everything at once which is completely unrealistic and irritating!

What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I get irritated by people who attempt to emotionally manipulate other people and equally irritated by people who allow themselves to be emotionally manipulated by others. I also dislike people who readily accept things without thinking them through and coming to their own decision on whether it makes sense or not.

Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I have a neighbour and we regularly get caught up talking about music theory together. I really enjoy that. Also, psychology, things of a philosophical nature and just ideas going back and forth, almost taking on a life of their own is a lot of fun.

What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
The decor of my house, how clean my car is. Some of my 'nicest' clothes have pins holding them together or holes in now I come to think of it!

How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
They have said I am a good listener and non judgmental. I was told I was an original thinker which really pleased me. They might say I'm a bit obsessed by some things that interest me. They would never say I was brash or overbearing.

You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
I'll probably read mostly, researching whatever has my attention and go on a journey of discovery in the process. Listen to music always. Go for a run (alone) and a walk too (maybe alone or with someone).

I hope this helps. I'd really appreciate any feedback.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
I would lay down some cold hard cash on INTP.

As for testing as INFP, you share Ne and Si with them. At first glance, it would be tricky to tell apart my INTP and INFP friends. Also, introverted lead functions are notoriously difficult to test for. A fairly decent test can often help to narrow down possibilities, but to refine it further and find your actual type, self-assessment is often required.

Brinni

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would lay down some cold hard cash on INTP.

As for testing as INFP, you share Ne and Si with them. At first glance, it would be tricky to tell apart my INTP and INFP friends. Also, introverted lead functions are notoriously difficult to test for. A fairly decent test can often help to narrow down possibilities, but to refine it further and find your actual type, self-assessment is often required.

Thank you for your input. I have been thinking about this for nearly a year and it's very good to get an outside opinion.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=24023]Brinni[/MENTION] here are some questions for you. Please elaborate in your answers.

Strong subjects are music, art and am presently taking a degree in Philosophy with Psychological Studies. I messed up in college.
How did you mess up in college? What do you like about philosophy and psychological studies?

I want to learn as much as I can about things that interest me. I sometimes feel that there is much to do and learn about in life and not enough time.
What is it like when you learn something new about a topic that you are interested in?

What is it about music theory that you really enjoy talking about?

Which of these two statements do you identify with? You gain energy by being around people and lose it when you are by yourself, or you lose energy when you are around people and gain it back when you are by yourself.

Tell us about your personal values.

You are at a social gathering where you notice that one of the people is acting out, and another is looking depressed. What is your impression of the situation? Do you feel the need to do anything? Why or why not?

Mane

Permabanned
My vote: xNTP

Brinni

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=24023]Brinni[/MENTION] here are some questions for you. Please elaborate in your answers.

How did you mess up in college? What do you like about philosophy and psychological studies?
I messed college up by being a pothead and spending too much time dithering. Also I clashed with one of my lecturers because I didn't see the point in her method. I dug my heels in and then wouldn't back down despite my slipping grades.

I like philosophy because it doesn't have a right or wrong answer. There are so many ways to see something and it isn't solvable. There's an elegance to the way a formal argument is constructed.
I have been preoccupied with psychology my whole life and it's because humans are so varied and one behaviour may stem from many reasons. I like that our reasons and outlooks are so different. People fascinate me from a study point of view.

What is it like when you learn something new about a topic that you are interested in?

What is it about music theory that you really enjoy talking about?

Which of these two statements do you identify with? You gain energy by being around people and lose it when you are by yourself, or you lose energy when you are around people and gain it back when you are by yourself.
When I learn something new about something enjoyable it's as though I'm constructing a jigsaw in my head, or painting a picture. Putting pieces down and finding other pieces that fit so there are areas where different parts of the picture start to form.
The satisfaction comes from gradually connecting those areas so that the overall picture can be seen. Sometimes I don't need to finish the jigsaw.

That's exactly why I enjoy talking about music theory. Music theory is a puzzle I haven't finished and my neighbour knows a lot about it, much more than me. He also appreciates the beauty and elegance there is in not just how the music sounds but the many ways it is put together and can be tinkered with.

I find the energy question difficult because I can find social activities invigorating. I spend roughly 7 hours a day alone and when I'm with my family in the evening I usually read. I see my friends for a total of about 20 hours per month (that includes attending the gaming club weekly).

Tell us about your personal values.
When I first read about values I found it difficult to decipher what mine were (other than truth). I asked others what theirs were in order to help me work it out. Privacy is important to me and respecting the views of others.

You are at a social gathering where you notice that one of the people is acting out, and another is looking depressed. What is your impression of the situation? Do you feel the need to do anything? Why or why not?
I may not form an impression because that would jumping to conclusions and there could be many interpretations. I wouldn't get involved because it's not my deal.

Last edited:

Brinni

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
My vote: xNTP

Haha, I thought 'well, duh!'. Then laughed at the spoiler.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=24023]Brinni[/MENTION] here are a couple more questions.

When I learn something new about something enjoyable it's as though I'm constructing a jigsaw in my head, or painting a picture. Putting pieces down and finding other pieces that fit so there are areas where different parts of the picture start to form.
The satisfaction comes from gradually connecting those areas so that the overall picture can be seen. Sometimes I don't need to finish the jigsaw.
Why don't you need to finish the jigsaw?

I find the energy question difficult because I can find social activities invigorating. I spend roughly 7 hours a day alone and when I'm with my family in the evening I usually read. I see my friends for a total of about 20 hours per month (that includes attending the gaming club weekly).
Here's a modified version of the energy question:

You are feeling drained. Note that I have not specified how you came to be drained. You only know that you are drained, you do not know if it was caused by being around people or caused by being alone or by anything else.
Now you are given two options to recharge yourself. You must choose one of these options for the whole recharging period. This means that you cannot start with one option and then switch midway to the other option.
The choice of the option is to be made by you and you alone, before you start your recharging.
Here are the two options, which one do you choose?

Option 1. You spend your recharging time with people of your choice. You may pick any number of people, but you obviously must pick at least one. You will spend the time with the people engaged in any activity of your choosing (including reading).

Option 2. You spend your recharging time by yourself. You will spend the time alone engaged in any activity of your choosing.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
I messed college up by being a pothead and spending too much time dithering. Also I clashed with one of my lecturers because I didn't see the point in her method. I dug my heels in and then wouldn't back down despite my slipping grades.

I like philosophy because it doesn't have a right or wrong answer. There are so many ways to see something and it isn't solvable. There's an elegance to the way a formal argument is constructed.
I have been preoccupied with psychology my whole life and it's because humans are so varied and one behaviour may stem from many reasons. I like that our reasons and outlooks are so different. People fascinate me from a study point of view.

That's exactly why I enjoy talking about music theory. Music theory is a puzzle I haven't finished and my neighbour knows a lot about it, much more than me. He also appreciates the beauty and elegance there is in not just how the music sounds but the many ways it is put together and can be tinkered with.

When I first read about values I found it difficult to decipher what mine were (other than truth). I asked others what theirs were in order to help me work it out. Privacy is important to me and respecting the views of others.

I may not form an impression because that would jumping to conclusions and there could be many interpretations. I wouldn't get involved because it's not my deal.

I bolded that which strikes me as Ti-Ne. Several of my close friends are INTP, so I'm pretty good at recognising them and their greatness.

Brinni

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=24023]Brinni[/MENTION] here are a couple more questions.

Why don't you need to finish the jigsaw?
Because if there's enough of the picture to understand things then I can find the remaining pieces as/when and if necessary later on.

Here's a modified version of the energy question:

You are feeling drained. Note that I have not specified how you came to be drained. You only know that you are drained, you do not know if it was caused by being around people or caused by being alone or by anything else.
Now you are given two options to recharge yourself. You must choose one of these options for the whole recharging period. This means that you cannot start with one option and then switch midway to the other option.
The choice of the option is to be made by you and you alone, before you start your recharging.
Here are the two options, which one do you choose?

Option 1. You spend your recharging time with people of your choice. You may pick any number of people, but you obviously must pick at least one. You will spend the time with the people engaged in any activity of your choosing (including reading).

Option 2. You spend your recharging time by yourself. You will spend the time alone engaged in any activity of your choosing.

I would go for a run on my own, or something else energetic. A brisk walk/run and focusing on my environment energises me, but alone. Listening to music and getting caught up in it works too.

As a child I was very confident and mischievous but became withdrawn at about 15 and stayed that way ever since. I don't know if that helps!

Brinni

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I bolded that which strikes me as Ti-Ne. Several of my close friends are INTP, so I'm pretty good at recognising them and their greatness.

Thank you again. Ahem, does that mean I need to breathe on and polish my claws now?

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
If I was to choose between INTP and INFP for you based on your avatar picture, then I would definitely choose INTP.

Here's my assessment of your type.

I have terrible trouble with procrastination.
Seems P.

I have virtually no friends, but am not bothered by it most of the time because I am not very certain of myself in interaction with others or when a relationship becomes a 'friendship'. I don't like sharing personal details and especially doing the emotional sharing thing.
F not indicated.

What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
What makes the most sense in regard to outcomes, both short term and long term. I will decide which outcome stemming from which option is preferable in regards to overall gain. It pays for me to listen to my gut too and I think that works because I pick up subconsciously on small cues in my environment which culminate to give me an overall impression in certain circumstances.
Seems T.

When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Enjoyment of the process. I'm not usually all that bothered about the outcome, but more about the project involvement itself. I usually have an idea in my mind of what the outcome would be but more often than not I don't get to that point.
Seems P.

How organized do you think of yourself as?
I'm not a well organized person. I know this and compensate by having some things set up (like spare tins of stuff because I forget to buy food sometimes). I am organized in my own way, but is in a disorganized way!
Seems unhealthy.

How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I would think how it could work based on practicality and what need it fulfills. I would look for flaws in it too and see how they could be improved.
Seems T.

What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I get irritated by people who attempt to emotionally manipulate other people and equally irritated by people who allow themselves to be emotionally manipulated by others. I also dislike people who readily accept things without thinking them through and coming to their own decision on whether it makes sense or not.
Seems T.

Very N.

Seems TP.

Seems NT.

F not indicated.

I would go for a run on my own, or something else energetic. A brisk walk/run and focusing on my environment energises me, but alone. Listening to music and getting caught up in it works too.
Seems I.

I am typing you as INTP.
Your T preference is very clear so it's strange that you would have tested as INFP sometimes. It could just be badly designed test questions such that only robots would test properly as T types.

Brinni

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION] Thanks, a breakdown from someone else was what I needed. It is what I have been thinking for a while, but another pov is very useful.