• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP or INFP

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most definitely not INFP. I dont see a hint of Introverted Feeling coming through, honestly. It's totally out of the question.

I had the same impression, but then I wondered if I am too eager lately to type people as SJs.

Anyhow, I go by the manner in which someone describes themselves and how their personality comes across over what they say about themselves. After a few paragraphs, ESFx was very clear to me. Then the OP explained pretty welll why she is not a Se type...but she didnt demonstrate a Ne dominated mentality. Certainly Fe is there, but it's in the personality more than the statements (better indicator of the dom, as IMO, statements may reflect the supporting aux and tert functions which is exactly what we get here....).

The OP uses very concrete language, refers to specific things that have happened to her to explain things, and is clearly focused on details.

ESFJs are said to have a "get things going" interaction style, which is otherwise associated with three ExxP types, plus they have tertiary Ne, so mistaking themselves for ENFPs is not unusual. They may not identify with some J stereotypes, and then the ESFJ description doesnt sound like the current cultural ideal, so young ESFJs may really not relate.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You have a general ENFP vibe to me. The only thing that could indicate otherwise which I think a couple of others have picked up on is the emphasis on friends and family which would be more inline with a stereotypical ESFJ type. You seem pretty scattered for a J type though. I suppose ESFP is also an option.

Edit: You are also a sweetie, welcome to the forum!

Evelina

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow! I see my thread took off while I was asleep! A lot of fun to wake up to, and given (since it's me) a lot of confusion... Alrighty let's start.
[MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] [MENTION=22109]Evee[/MENTION] Yes, it is me in my picture!

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] Never thought about being an ESFJ because going by each function alone was not something that I related to. But I'm open to each idea all of you have on this board, that's why I'm here after all!

And like you said, [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] I am still young and there might be a misunderstanding in myself and my type because of that.

As for introverted feeling, I did use to think I used Fe and then somewhere along the way I started wondering if I was not more Fi. And I didn't really want any help figuring it out, but then I did and that person figured I was xNFP which I could relate a lot to. She said she got a really strong Fi vibe from me. Then as I started understanding the functions better Fi did seem right.

[MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION] Thanks for putting up with my back and forth, and for your help. You're awesome!

[MENTION=9160]HelenOfTroy[/MENTION] Thank you! Yes, people did pick up a lot on that part I noticed. I think I got so focused on that part because it related to introvert vs. extrovert and it felt relevant.

I also ordered the book "Understanding yourself and others" so maybe that will make it clearer for me. I have another one, but it's talking about the types rather than functions. Thank you everyone for the help, although it confused me even more!

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
You have a general ENFP vibe to me. The only thing that could indicate otherwise which I think a couple of others have picked up on is the emphasis on friends and family which would be more inline with a stereotypical ESFJ type. You seem pretty scattered for a J type though. I suppose ESFP is also an option.

Agreed. I can see why ESFJ is a strong contender too. I was thinking so dom to explain the emphasis on connection with social groups, family/friends. She reminds me of another so dom ENFP but come to think of it, some folks think that person is ESFJ as well, so not a good argument there.

She has attracted the attention of an INTJ already though, there's that ... let's see what happens more over time! ;)

[MENTION=24092]Evelina[/MENTION], welcome to the forum too!

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hmm... I thought that I had made a convincing case for ENFP, but since she is still confused let's continue the dissec... err typing.
[MENTION=24092]Evelina[/MENTION] here are some more questions for you. If anyone else has questions to get more information on her type, please ask them.

What is it that causes you to get passionate and emotional when talking about social justice?

You love talking about identity and gender, sexuality. Why, and what specifically do you talk about when you are discussing these topics.

You say that you can't pay attention to something for too long. What is it that prevents you from doing that?

When you make plans are you able to follow through with them?

You are at a social gathering where you notice that one of the people is acting out, and another is looking depressed. What is your impression of the situation? Do you feel the need to do anything? Why or why not?

When it comes to your family, what can your family expect from you? What do you expect from your family?

Evelina

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION] You did make a convincing case. But I'm still quite new to this, so I'm probably not the best judge especially considering I can't really be objective when it comes to my own type. But I do relate to ENFP a lot so we'll see, huh. :)

What is it that causes you to get passionate and emotional when talking about social justice?

I'm not sure what causes it. It can be all from guilt about privilege and ignorance, to anger about being belittled as a woman, to sadness about stories that you hear. Or rather don't hear... because there's so little awareness. I'd love to shake up the world a bit. I do love when people tell me that I've made them open their eyes more, I feel guilty when they say that I'm educated on the topics because I know I need to start with myself and what do I need to learn and unlearn. What am I doing that could potentially harm someone? And how can I help to be a change?... And then it's the obvious things like how can people be so cruel and intentionally harm other because of their gender, sexuality, skin color, religion etc.

You love talking about identity and gender, sexuality. Why, and what specifically do you talk about when you are discussing these topics.

It is just that - identity. What seperates us? It's about understanding myself, as well as others. Sort of what makes me interested in personality types. I believe that there's a gender identity for each and every person. Everyone are different and gender and sexual/romantic attraction come on spectrums. Just as gender is a social construct. I do identify as a woman. However it's important to bring these conversations going for two reasons a) the person that will be like "you know what... I don't identify as a woman or a man." b) the person that will gain the understanding about gender not being binary and ask "what are your prefer pronouns" without judgement. That will do a lot. And just bringing the conversations and making people more aware, it's a part of the change. I can't change the world all by myself, but hopefully I can help in the little ways I can. And hopefully someday in bigger ways to create more representation for minorities.

You say that you can't pay attention to something for too long. What is it that prevents you from doing that?

Oh yeah... that. It's constantly. Some people will say "but you can focus if you enjoy it" and it's not really true. With things I enjoy I still can't focus or I do too many things at once. With things I don't enjoy I often start daydreaming, or I just don't even realize I've stopped paying attention and all that is in my brain is "alright focus... focus... focus" Then I still won't have gotten the words I read or that are said to me. Just like I won't remember the environment that I was supposed to take in so that I can find my way back.

Oh yes absolutely! I don't know what else to say to it. I might be a few minutes late, but I'll be there.

You are at a social gathering where you notice that one of the people is acting out, and another is looking depressed. What is your impression of the situation? Do you feel the need to do anything? Why or why not?

I'll most likely avoid the one acting out and be rather uncomfortable because I don't like conflict. I'll probably check in on the one that looks depressed, but I won't be too eager or pushing about what is wrong. Maybe try to cheer them up, or ask if there's something I can do for them. Just so that they know I'm here.

When it comes to your family, what can your family expect from you? What do you expect from your family?

My family can and should expect love, honesty, loyalty, empathy, understanding... And hugs!! And that is what I expect from them as well.

Starry

[MENTION=24092]Evelina[/MENTION] - I sure hope you've come to stay a while because your loveliness is so shiny and bright... it will be a pleasure to interact and learn from you.

Most definitely not INFP. I dont see a hint of Introverted Feeling coming through, honestly. It's totally out of the question.

I had the same impression, but then I wondered if I am too eager lately to type people as SJs.

Anyhow, I go by the manner in which someone describes themselves and how their personality comes across over what they say about themselves. After a few paragraphs, ESFx was very clear to me. Then the OP explained pretty welll why she is not a Se type...but she didnt demonstrate a Ne dominated mentality. Certainly Fe is there, but it's in the personality more than the statements (better indicator of the dom, as IMO, statements may reflect the supporting aux and tert functions which is exactly what we get here....).

The OP uses very concrete language, refers to specific things that have happened to her to explain things, and is clearly focused on details.

ESFJs are said to have a "get things going" interaction style, which is otherwise associated with three ExxP types, plus they have tertiary Ne, so mistaking themselves for ENFPs is not unusual. They may not identify with some J stereotypes, and then the ESFJ description doesnt sound like the current cultural ideal, so young ESFJs may really not relate.

^^You somehow sensed how badly I needed the above explanation didn't you (@OA)? ((I have been sucking worse than I normally suck at explanations lately... and just didn't have it in me to try and tackle something of this magnitude -> ESFJ/ENFP mistypes: "Why Evelina is truly an ESFJ in spite of "superficially vibing" like an ENFP." Thank you for saying what I couldn't without the high-likelihood of appearing entirely mad haha))

It's really interesting to me to hear you speak of doing the same thing. That you maintain an ongoing mindfulness of possibly being too eager to type people as SJ (like just a desire to make sense of what you know to be true of the numbers/population...) and I'm assuming you keep cross-checking back and forth when you start to suspect SJ for an individual's type. For me, I'm more concerned with the possibility of writing-off NFP too soon if I don't experience recognition in what I have determined to be a reasonable amount of time/information gathered. So it's once I have decided against NFP...that I start the process all over again with cross-checking (<-doing that as an ENFP I can't really claim to be all that eager to type people as SJ.)

Even when I account for e2, social dominance and subsequently the auxiliary position...I see nothing that suggests Fi. When I consider Evelina's interests I can kind of glimpse why she thinks she uses Fi - I think...but there's nothing in what I read that even slightly suggested anything other than Fe>Si. She's an amazing example though... of why ESFJs commonly mistype as ENFPs. Like you stated...we share the same interaction style...and so "get things started" ESFJs that also fall into the positive outlook harmonic group and have highly developed Ne (<-which oddly I don't necessarily notice in Evelina) vibe just like ENFPs...and will occasionally even test as ENFPs if Ne scores are high enough that day.

I share all of the above (as well as an ADD diagnosis for each of us) with an ESFJ e2 friend and she is far more Pe dominant behavior wise than I am. It's not until you look deeper into our lives that you can tell who the real Pe dom is :(

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even when I account for e2, social dominance and subsequently the auxiliary position...I see nothing that suggests Fi. When I consider Evelina's interests I can kind of glimpse why she thinks she uses Fi - I think...but there's nothing in what I read that even slightly suggested anything other than Fe>Si. She's an amazing example though... of why ESFJs commonly mistype as ENFPs.

It also kind of shortchanges Fe to associate all these interests with Fi. And that's what they amount to - interests, not a mindset.

Keirsey is the one who dubbed NFs as the idealists, but Isabel Myers called Feeling-dominants the idealistic ones. I think both are right for different reasons, but grasping why Myers would say that can help prevent mistyping SFs as NFs, especially with there already being pro-N bias.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION] You did make a convincing case. But I'm still quite new to this, so I'm probably not the best judge especially considering I can't really be objective when it comes to my own type. But I do relate to ENFP a lot so we'll see, huh. :)

I'm not sure what causes it. It can be all from guilt about privilege and ignorance, to anger about being belittled as a woman, to sadness about stories that you hear. Or rather don't hear... because there's so little awareness. I'd love to shake up the world a bit. I do love when people tell me that I've made them open their eyes more, I feel guilty when they say that I'm educated on the topics because I know I need to start with myself and what do I need to learn and unlearn. What am I doing that could potentially harm someone? And how can I help to be a change?... And then it's the obvious things like how can people be so cruel and intentionally harm other because of their gender, sexuality, skin color, religion etc.

It is just that - identity. What seperates us? It's about understanding myself, as well as others. Sort of what makes me interested in personality types. I believe that there's a gender identity for each and every person. Everyone are different and gender and sexual/romantic attraction come on spectrums. Just as gender is a social construct. I do identify as a woman. However it's important to bring these conversations going for two reasons a) the person that will be like "you know what... I don't identify as a woman or a man." b) the person that will gain the understanding about gender not being binary and ask "what are your prefer pronouns" without judgement. That will do a lot. And just bringing the conversations and making people more aware, it's a part of the change. I can't change the world all by myself, but hopefully I can help in the little ways I can. And hopefully someday in bigger ways to create more representation for minorities.

Oh yeah... that. It's constantly. Some people will say "but you can focus if you enjoy it" and it's not really true. With things I enjoy I still can't focus or I do too many things at once. With things I don't enjoy I often start daydreaming, or I just don't even realize I've stopped paying attention and all that is in my brain is "alright focus... focus... focus" Then I still won't have gotten the words I read or that are said to me. Just like I won't remember the environment that I was supposed to take in so that I can find my way back.

Oh yes absolutely! I don't know what else to say to it. I might be a few minutes late, but I'll be there.

I'll most likely avoid the one acting out and be rather uncomfortable because I don't like conflict. I'll probably check in on the one that looks depressed, but I won't be too eager or pushing about what is wrong. Maybe try to cheer them up, or ask if there's something I can do for them. Just so that they know I'm here.

My family can and should expect love, honesty, loyalty, empathy, understanding... And hugs!! And that is what I expect from them as well.

Ok, going with ENFP. You are going into a lot more background stuff here which I personally identify with as Ne... what things mean to you, what things represent. You actually vibe a little like another member here when she gets going who is ENFP. What do you think [MENTION=5418]Lady_X[/MENTION] ? I agree with [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] that maybe you are a Social ENFP and likely an enneagram 2.

How do you feel when family and friends ask you to do things for them? how about friends of friends/strangers? how do you feel about it? why?

You certainly have the flutterings of a young ENFP ready to spread her wings.....

Good point... can you be shy?

Evelina

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] Thank you, that's so nice!! The plan is definitely to stay, both for learning and because this is a lot of fun. I know right now I only post here in my own thread, I'm getting more and more comfortable around here.

As for being an ESFJ, it is really not something I relate to. Maybe I have terrible self perception then. I really don't know...

[MENTION=9160]HelenOfTroy[/MENTION] Okay, here I go. :)

How do you feel when family and friends ask you to do things for them?

Depends on so many things. What is it? How do they ask? Am I exhausted? Am I busy? There are a lot of times that it will feel like a drag. I'll probably do it though, but I might get frusterated.

How about friends of friends/strangers? how do you feel about it? why?

I feel very awkward and uncomfortable at first. But I'll start to try and make conversations and hope they'll lead somewhere!

Can you be shy?

I'm almost always shy at first.

By the way, a big thank you to all of you!

Starry

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] Thank you, that's so nice!! The plan is definitely to stay, both for learning and because this is a lot of fun. I know right now I only post here in my own thread, I'm getting more and more comfortable around here.

As for being an ESFJ, it is really not something I relate to. Maybe I have terrible self perception then. I really don't know...

You seem very perceptive to me and I'm assuming everyone else you've interacted with on this site. This is an issue with the type descriptions imo and in all honesty... I wouldn't expect you to relate to the ESFJ description until someone composes one that does this type some serious justice for a change.

I probably should have been more clear in saying that I shared my knowledge in this thread knowing it would be rejected.

If you relate to the NFP descriptions best...go with ENFP.

Evelina

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] It's not the type description only, I do understand that there can be some unfair stereotypes to any type. It's the functions and them not feeling natural to me.

The reason I haven't gone with ENFP already is that I didn't want to kid myself to think I'm something I am not. I wanted to be sure of my type so that it could feel really right, because if I was sure in my type it would be easier to understand the rest. I don't know. But I'll keep reading about the types and functions until i figure it out. I think I'll know.

Thank you for your time and thoughts!