• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Opinions please

starvingautist

MBTI Type
?
Hey, I'm having a bit of trouble settling on an MBTI type, so I'd appreciate any input.

Personal concepts

1. What is beauty? What is love?

I feel as though I am totally unqualified to answer this question! I haven't read nearly enough about aesthetics to have an opinion that makes sense. With that caveat, I suppose I'll give it a shot. If something has beauty, it moves you in some way. The emotion it elicits is not disgust; if you feel disgusted by an object then it is ugly. Something beautiful might make you feel in awe; a sunset or view from a mountain would do this for me. On the other hand, it might make you cry. Often it would be music that conjures sadness, an example being Rachmaninov's second piano concerto (second movement).
Love is something you can feel towards a person. It makes you feel complete when you are together. You care deeply about them. When you are together, or thinking about them, you might feel a kind of euphoria. This phenomenon would be most frequent towards the beginning of the relationship; after a while you might just feel mutual dependence upon the other person.

2. What are your most important values?

One of the most important things for me is to question everything. I won't accept an order until I know the reasoning behind it. I value integrity, and lack of this will mean I judge a person harshly. I also value empathy and justice. I hate things that are unfair. In fact, maybe I don't value empathy that much - I don't know how well I use it. Justice forms the basis of my political beliefs.

3. Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?

No. I just don't have a reason to. I've never believed in a 'higher power' because I don't see a reason to. I never really thought about it, and now I have, I don't see any logic behind belief in a god. The vast majority of humans have empathy, which is where morals come from, so religious imposition of morality is unnecessary. There is no possible value in religion or spiritualism.

4. Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?

I hate war. They are never wars of the people, they are wars of money. A military career is not an honorable one - it is merely following orders; orders that are not even in your interests! If you had an iota of critical thought, you wouldn't join the army. It is an abuse of power to have a military.
Power, to me, is as it is defined in the dictionary. How do you gain it? Well, currently you gain it by gaining money. Money is, essentially, power. Another way to gain power is to learn things. Knowledge is a form of power but it is not as socially influential as money. By having knowledge, though, you can influence the people with the money and in turn influence society.

Interests

5. What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?

Hmm, long conversations... well, I had one about dark matter with a postdoc; that was awesome. I'm not sure really.. my conversations tend to jump from topic to topic. I suppose I can get heated when talking about politics, and any conversation about one of my interests will last a while. I had one a while back with a cellist; I was talking about scales and practising. Generally, people don't share my interests so I don't get to talk about them much.
My interest are most things. Usually my interests manifest themselves in a binge which fizzles out for no particular reason. However, my phases tend to recur, so my interests are constant in that respect. I'm interested in physics, computers, philosophy, psychology, literature, art and music. The most prominent of my interests is physics; that's what my degree is going to be in.
Why am I interested in these things? Because they're interesting! I'm generally a curious person. I want to learn constantly. I'm usually reading a book of some kind. Physics is the most satisfying of my interests because you know that what you're learning is really objectively true. I pursue music, art and literature for a different reason. I've played the violin for almost ten years, so music is a huge part of my life. I love its capability to move you, even if you don't draw parallels to your own life. Literature is much the same, but I do feel as though I learn from it. Art is different; it doesn't tend to move me but it intrigues me. I appreciate the skill behind artwork, similarly with literature and music, but this forms the basis of my judgement of it rather than its capacity to move me in some way. I've enjoyed drawing since I could hold a pencil, so art has been part of my life longer than music, but I don't think it's as important to me (though if I lost my skill at drawing I would feel terrible).

6. Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?

Not particularly. Sometimes I enjoy cooking as long as it's something new. I occasionally invent new combinations of food but it's not too important to me as long as there is variety in my diet.

7. What do you think of daily chores?

I don't do them. My room is rather untidy as a result.

8. Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.

One of my favourite books is 'Crime and Punishment'. I read it a couple of years ago so forgive my hazy memory. What I remember most most is the conversation between Porfiry and Raskolnikov, where Raskolnikov was close to cracking. It was such a painful scene for me; I just kept thinking "don't say anything, you idiot!". Raskolnikov's struggle was hard to 'watch'. Overall, the book felt delightfully weird.
Another book I loved is 'Les Miserables'. First of all, Victor Hugo's writing is simply exquisite. It was so easy to read and at the same time so beautiful. The characters seemed so real too; the way Hugo wrote made them very easy to get to know. I wish the book was longer in fact; it drew me in very tightly.

As for films, I'm not much of a film buff but here goes. 'Taxi Driver' is one I enjoyed; the strangeness of it appealed to me. Travis was a really interesting character; his interior monologue was the best part of the film.
I also appreciated 'A Serbian Film', though I did see the abridged version. Again, it is a bizarre film and really gripping at the same time. It felt like a dream; the atmosphere was almost identical to how I feel in a dream (my dreams are always very strange).
'Gummo' is another film I would rank highly. You can probably see the theme here - I like odd films!
Aside from the bizarre, I love the humorous. 'Submarine', 'Life of Brian', 'Annie Hall', 'Hot Fuzz', 'Megamind', anything good - but most 'comedies' are completely shit.

9. What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?

Most recently, I cried because Rachmaninov moved me to. Other than that I cried when I thought my ex was ignoring me (we are friends and I care about him). I was wondering what I'd done, and ignoring me wasn't like him at all. Turns out he just lost his phone.
I smile at funny things like Black Books or my mum. Because they're funny.

10. Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?

At one with the environment: when I'm camping or hiking.
A sense of belonging: I don't know what that feels like, particularly. I guess when my people laugh at something I say.

Evaluation & Behaviour

11. What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?

My main weakness is laziness. It stops me from reaching my full potential, but I can't help it much. I tried being organised but it got too much for me.
I don't like how I can just use people sometimes - I feel like I don't reciprocate enough. One thing I did that I was thinking about a couple of nights ago was when a boy asked me out to the cinema. I knew he had liked me for a long time, and that I didn't feel the same way, but for some reason I said I'd like to go. Sometimes I don't know how to say 'no'. Anyway, it was awkward. A while later, at school, one of his friends asked me how it went. I didn't want him to think I felt a way I didn't so I said 'oh, I just went so I could see a film for free'. Now, that's not precisely true, but I feel terrible thinking about it. I can often be far too cold. There are numerous other examples but I don't care to elaborate.

12. What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?

My only strengths are intelligence and sense of humour.

13. In what areas of your life would you like help?

My cuntiness.

14. Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.

Yeah, recently. I just felt extremely restless and caged in. This was when I was making an effort to be organised. I felt like I couldn't be myself; I didn't have enough time to just relax.

People & Interactions

15. What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?

A shared sense of humour is one of the most important factors in getting on with someone. Shared interests are also important - we have to have something to talk about, obviously!
Something I dislike in a person is judgementality. I value openness.

16. How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?

Currently I am not seeking romance or sex, but it will be nice once I find someone I like. In a partner I'd want intelligence, kindness (more important than intelligence), similar values/politics, shared interests and a shared sense of humour.

17. If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?

I don't currently plan on having a child, but if I did I would try and teach it lots of things. I would try to cultivate its curiosity. My main concern would be having a child who was not inquisitive. I dunno, I'm probably not suited to child-rearing.

18. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?

It depends on what kind of beliefs the claim clashed with. If it was a moral/political belief, I would argue with them. I'd feel like I was right, and I'd feel angry if what they said was selfish. If it wasn't, then I would ask for the reasoning behind the claim and argue against it if it was illogical, and accept it if not.

19. Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.

I don't see 'society' as a homogeneous lump. It's full of different people and different beliefs, so making an argument against 'society' is a fallacy. However, I don't simply accept the status quo. I challenge the current political system.
The most prevalent social problem is money. Secondarily, inheritance. The system is not meritocratic and I find that highly disagreeable.

20. How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?

I don't choose who my friends are; I meet someone and either I get on with them or I don't. Around my friends I simply behave like myself. Sometimes I might act more outgoing than I usually feel.

21. How do you behave around strangers?

In conversation, I try to be affable but if I disagree with them they will know it. I won't generally seek conversation with a stranger.