• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Helllo, care to type this newbie?

PuppyGoggles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hullo people of TypologyCentral! You all can call me PuppyGoggles or idk whatever you feel like-as long as I know your talking to me. Anyway, I made this account hooo probably way back during the summer of last year yet I haven't really bothered to do much with until recently. I've been struggling to figure out my true type for perhaps a few months now (After I discovered how phony and inaccurate most online quizzes were) and between comparing contrasting different definitions of how the eight cognitive functions work, I'm still conflicted. I also did take a few function quizzes multiple times to see if there was any pattern that would help me narrow down the possibilities. After taking a few I've discovered that my most dominant functions are Ti, Ne, and Ni (Though I have heard that Ti and Ni can be confused with each other in NTP types) so I've limited my choices as most likely being an INTP, ENTP, or perhaps even INFJ. (I know, the odd one out) Yet every time I come to a conclusion I feel as if I'm mistyping myself yet again, as if it is truly impossible to know one's type and it just leaves me more disgruntled than before. Though that my be my anxiety/depression speaking, I recently enrolled in College/Uni fall of last year and the tension, I believe has been making me more sensitive and withdrawn.

Though yes, I am curious to see how strangers perceive my type just from this post alone. Hint-hint; if it helps I'm constantly putting on masks to adjust to the environment around me. (Mostly online that in the real world) I'm also willing to pull out a list of traits if it makes things any easier.

stardusted

hey :) can you expound a bit on the reasons for why you narrowed it down to those three? for each one?

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I totally do the same thing with adjusting. Then I get really distressed, feeling like I'm not being true to myself.

But yeah, the list of traits would be awesome! :D

PuppyGoggles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Sure thing, of course! I'm always adjusting to fit my environment that I do lose touch with my inner core, I guess that's why the concept of MBTI and enneagrams fascinate me to no end.

Though anyway, here's a list of traits I nabbed from another site. (Because I'm lazy and should be doing assignments at the moment) Hopefully it'll help:

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

Simple, the fact that people are always changing and are always more than they appear. I believe that people are always changing in accordance to what is appropriate with their environment, and eventually must make use of their weaker traits in order to become healthier. (I've read somewhere that healthier variants of the sixteen types are more balanced function wise than their counterparts) So it made me wonder if I was merely an INTP (Let's roll with INTP since that was the type I originally believed I was) with a stronger Ne or perhaps an ENTP with a potent Ti, or hell who knows an INFJ with a good Ti. (Let's also bare in mind that I'm probably awful at typing, hence why this thread exists) So it kind of got me thinking that with possibilities such as that whether it is truly possible to know one's on type or to know what to look for when typing someone else.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Honestly? Innovating, trying new hobbies, accomplishing and mastering those hobbies, and finally recognition for innovating and pioneering into the unknown. Basically becoming a Jack-of-All Trades.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

Typically times where I'm witty, intelligent and able to impress people simply by relying on my brains and creativity. They make me feel as if I was worth more than I thought I did, and ultimately give me quick little bursts of confidence in which I am less hesitant to express my thoughts.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

Being perceived as slow, unintelligent, incapable of doing anything of value.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I like to consider both, though I feel like this question depends on the situation at hand. More often than not, I make my final choices based on what would be most effective and benefit me and those involved the best. I don't make things interpersonal when making decisions and I try to get unfamiliar input when I can before making sense of feedback blended with my own opinions to come to my own conclusions.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

That depends...I am one for insightful ideas and I do have my own final visions on how things should work, or how they should be achieved, but if another idea with potential that could possibly work happens to stumble by, then by all means I will absolutely welcome it and later experiment to see if it will work with what I got. In short, creativity, an open mind, and freedom are what I treasure most. (I despise any limitations on creativity or anyone telling me how to do my work correctly unless I ask for it)

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

This is a pretty broad question, and I honestly can't think of a decent reply. However, usually when I'm having fun with my friends (This doesn't always happen fyi) or come up with an idea (Mostly fiction related) and excite myself for hours or even days.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Hands on I guess, or at least watch someone else do it first so I at least have an idea on how to master certain tasks. I do like theorizing though, and I do use it if a fresh idea is scarce.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Not very much, at least to the naked eye. True, I might lose track and lose things every now and then, but I usually know what's going on. Depends if I care or not at the time.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

Makes sense to me, then external information.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

The former.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

Thinks before speaking, and solo conversations.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I do like to think matters through before jumping nose first into things, however I do believe actions speak louder than words most of the time.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

The show without a doubt most likely. Also depends on what my friends are doing.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

Anxious; pessimistic; neurotic; more sensitive to criticism and failure.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

Close-minded people, people who can't think outside the box, people who don't understand that I need space and can't read my mood, people with no sense of creativity, rudeness, arrogance.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Whatever catches my eye at the moment. Theories, toying with ideas, sparring jokes (Comedy is a huge factor in my life) just having relaxed conversations while avoiding shitty small talk altogether. (Because it's cheap and I'm beyond awful at it)

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?

-Organizing my external world (My ESTJ dad grills me on this all the time. I say he's ESTJ because he practically embodies the stereotype) and being more consistent with friendships.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

-They've told me that I'm smart, complicated, smart-mouthed, fun-loving, impish, (sometimes) cynical, and yet that I do have a good heart and a healthy sense of humor. Funny thing, one of my professors told me I was like a Rubik's cube the other day, in the sense that's she's always learning something new about me. (I only let people see what I want I want them to see!) I really don't see much wrong about their perception, it's pretty spot on. The only person who tends to really label is my dad, and if there is one thing that will set me off almost instantly, it being labeled by people who don't know me (I hide alot from my old man) and having those people trying to take control of my life like they understand me better than myself.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

-Sleeping first, eating, playing video games, listening to music (BIG ONE) watching TV, take a walk/run and enjoy the weather if it permits, (I especially love soaking me up some sun rays) researching for fun on the internet, trying to give some life to some of my writing ideas. Though if we're going to get a bit more adventurous here, I do love swimming and amusement parks, and traveling off all kinds, (So perhaps a day trip?) hanging out with friends if they're up for my adventures and perhaps even dabble in some film making. (Right now I lack the skills and material to do so)

~Ta-da. (Also, if anyone wants me to use a questionnaire from this site, just let me know!)

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think your type is ISTP. Assuming that you were not putting on a mask when posting, otherwise it is the type for your mask.

PuppyGoggles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
ISTP eh? Well, that's a first .(I've never been typed as a sensor before-and I pretty defy the stereotype with my unorthodox, "heads in the clouds", lack of coordination, horrible with my hands and awareness of the external world) Though I could see it, (However, I do enjoy theoretical thinking very much, most of random bursts of action come lack of patience) it's just a type I've only briefly considered in the past.

And funny thing, I might've been going for an XNTP lean there, though while I was a bit in a rush while filling this out, I tried my best to figure out the most realistic responses before typing. I wouldn't mind filling out another one if people are still stumped.

Last edited:

limedaboy

Hi guys, this is my first ever post in one of these threads, but I wanted to see if I could lend a hatchet to this intellectual conversation. I'm an ENFP myself, and my best friend is an ISTP. IMO you sound nothing like an ISTP and incredibly more like me, certainly an N-type anyway. You say you rarely pay attention to organizing your external world, I certainly know how that goes. I would lean toward ENTP for you.
You sound like the ENTPs I know: witty, creative, interested in writing, fiction and activities of the sort. And you seem to have multiple ideas all come to in rapid succession, all with their pros and cons. That sounds more like Ne than Ni to me. You care about fitting into a social group, you seem to attempt to make decisions that are best for the group, and you learn more by watching instead of theorizing. To me, these all point toward ENTP rather than INTP. Bizarre question, but how often, if ever, do you talk to yourself out loud? Idk if this applies to ENTPs as well, but as an ENFP, I talk to myself all the time lol. My brain processes information and I start talking to myself, theorizing and problem solving, trying to relate the series of events that led to interesting thing or another. I probably look like I'm crazy, but my Ne will just get rolling, and there's no stopping it until all the possibilities have been run through or I simply get bored haha. For the record, I think we'd be really good friends if we knew one another in real life. Good luck on your quest, hope this helps at least a little. :D

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
ISTP eh? Well, that's a first .(I've never been typed as a sensor before-and I pretty defy the stereotype with my unorthodox, "heads in the clouds", lack of coordination, horrible with my hands and awareness of the external world) Though I could see it, (However, I do enjoy theoretical thinking very much, most of random bursts of action come lack of patience) it's just a type I've only briefly considered in the past.

And funny thing, I might've been going for an XNTP lean there, though while I was a bit in a rush while filling this out, I tried my best to figure out the most realistic responses before typing. I wouldn't mind filling out another one if people are still stumped.

I had the impression that you were a sensor because of your response to question 8 and a bit from question 2. There wasn't too much else to go with in terms of N vs S.
What is it that you think about when you have your head in the clouds? What kind of theories or ideas do you like talking to people about? Please elaborate.
Also what do you mean by ' I tried my best to figure out the most realistic responses before typing'? Were you not being honest?
It wouldn't hurt to do another questionnaire to provide more information.
Here are a couple of questions that I can think of:
  • Do you like learning new things for the sake of learning new things?
  • Do you enjoy debating about topics that you are familiar with?

PuppyGoggles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
[MENTION=24544]limedaboy[/MENTION]

Aaah. I though talking things through Te in progress?

But anyway, ENTP sounds more fitting imo. I know the E/INTP spectrum is a tricky one to figure out, I was leaning towards being one of the two, I just had trouble figuring out whether Ne or Ti was my dominant function. As far as thinking goes, I'm definetly more inward in regards to that, always pondering about anything that strikes my attention and I need to think bigger questions out throughly in order to avoid making a fool out of myself. Though I tend to randomly blurt things out that only make sense to me as a result of thinking too much inwardly.

Heh, well thanks on both points! I love me some ENFPs.

[MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION]

Interesting. Well, mostly philosophical topics, bouncing about with ideas, (Mostly for my fictional works that I never bother to get started on) why certain things happen the way they do, noticing inconsistencies, scientific theories, and random musings when they appear out of the blue.

Also, the "realistic responses" idea is basically my way of saying "This is my best guess on how I would react in these situations, depending on my mood and the circumstances." I apologize, that was poor word choice on my part.

In regards to your last two questions; I love both learning anything I can (For the sake of knowledge and in case I need for future reference) and I love debating topics I'm familiar with. (Though I do end up wasting my energy on my supposed ENTJ sister who just shuts me down and honestly unnerves me debate wise sometimes)

PuppyGoggles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I hate to double post, but if it does any good, my enneagram is 5w6. That I'm almost positive of.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=24544]limedaboy[/MENTION]
Interesting. Well, mostly philosophical topics, bouncing about with ideas, (Mostly for my fictional works that I never bother to get started on) why certain things happen the way they do, noticing inconsistencies, scientific theories, and random musings when they appear out of the blue.

Also, the "realistic responses" idea is basically my way of saying "This is my best guess on how I would react in these situations, depending on my mood and the circumstances." I apologize, that was poor word choice on my part.

In regards to your last two questions; I love both learning anything I can (For the sake of knowledge and in case I need for future reference) and I love debating topics I'm familiar with. (Though I do end up wasting my energy on my supposed ENTJ sister who just shuts me down and honestly unnerves me debate wise sometimes)

Based on this new information, I'm going to say that you are more N than S.

Here's another question for you.
If you were feeling drained and needed to recover, which would you prefer?
  • Doing something you enjoy with people that you like. You can choose the activity and the people.
  • Doing something you enjoy by yourself. You can choose the activity.

PuppyGoggles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Definitely an activity in my own. I used to be more energized by people when I was younger, but now I get burned out extremely fast, even with a few people. (Unless we're having a fun/productive conversation)

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
Definitely an activity in my own. I used to be more energized by people when I was younger, but now I get burned out extremely fast, even with a few people. (Unless we're having a fun/productive conversation)

In that case I'd say that you prefer I over E.

So I'm changing my assessment and giving you my INTP stamp of approval.

PuppyGoggles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ah, seems fitting.

Any other takes though, I'd be willing to do another survey. (Even if I'm generally not a fan of them)

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was going to say ENTP, until you mentioned that you prefer solitary activities. So I'm going to say INTP, although you lean slightly toward extroversion.

PuppyGoggles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Also, I came up with a few points that could sway either side either direction. (Or somewhere else who knows!)

-For one I was more extraverted in my younger days, (Ex. Early childhood) or at least I believed. Sure I was on the shyer side and I didn't like to publicly expose myself, but I really had no problem talking to other kids and acting out. (My theory is that school kinda ruined my ability to really socialize, presumably SJ teachers and SJ/SP classmates who were just single-minded doucheholes and just discouraged me from trying to socialize until I graduated)

-Like it'd been stated before, I'm good at putting on masks as an attempt of self-preservation, I spent more or less the entire summer (2014) trying to be an ENxP and I thought I did a good job until I started to wear myself out by November and retreated into a more introverted phase.

-I despise authority, actually more like entitled people who feel entitled to control others just because they were given authority. (This is mainly an issue with my dad who has no patience with me and any view that disagrees with him) Not so much in the typical teenage rebellion phase (I was probably at my most introverted during high school) though more in regards to grades and telling me that I'm stupid because "I never learn from my mistakes." Being told that I'm worthless/lacking intellect is one of the few things that can make me spot on devastated and sometimes cry-and then I start believing that I am stupid because I always assume that I would eventually learn but never did. (Until uni)

-I have trouble sitting still and concentrating for long periods of time (Ex. It's taken me an hour to get this far writing wise) I can't even watch TV without distractions because I want or could be doing something else. Really, I almost always watch TV while taking breaks, which might be why I'm sometimes drawn to sensory experiences. (I mainly watch Netflix nowadays if that makes more sense)

-I've ben told I'm horrible at keeping a lie, or even telling the truth without keeping a straight face. (I'm just going to assume this is a sign of Fe) While I do generally have a calm presence, I'm almost always looking around, getting distracted by either my thoughts or trying to avoid awkwardness when talking to a person. (I can maintain eye contact though, it just flares up more during awkward situations or when they grow stale) I also have a habit of tapping my foot when listening to music, or humming/whistling songs.

-I value my free time greatly, especially my private time. There's hardly a time when I'm not surrounded by people so I find it necessary to diffuse before going off and interacting with people again.

-I do the enjoy the company of a few select people that are friendly, fun and can respect the fact that I need space. I'm mostly surrounded by dull people or those who can't understand/read my vibes that I want to be left alone.

-I love exploring on my own. I wouldn't mind doing it with one other person I know very well, but that's about it. I tend to run off on my own more often than not these days.

-I do enjoy working with people, depending on my mood. If I'm tired I'm more likely to sway alone, but I do enjoy feedback and having the chance to impress people with my intellect and creativity.

-I love messing with people's minds. (That probably doesn't count for anything)

-I don't like the spotlight. While I do enjoy recognition, I much rather be the brains behind the scene. (Or as long as I don't make a spectacle of myself)

-I love hidden meanings and speculating topics to come up with my own theories, particularly in fiction/literature and coming to my own understanding of how the world works.

-I'm often to deep in thought that I forget about why I'm doing certain external activities and that I apparently lack "common sense" according to most.

-I really dislike rude people of any sort. (Ironic since I can be cold from time to time or disinterested) I tend to go by "I treat you the same way you treat me" system.

There's probably...no wait certainly more where that came from.

PuppyGoggles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Oh! And I've also been called clingy and immature after I felt like I was getting no respect from a group of friends and constantly feeling excluded. (Specifically by a friend who tested and is without a doubt an ISTJ, and I just took the beating and reluctantly agreed with everything she said about me before complaining about it some of my other friends-don't worry I still get jealous from time to time, I just keep my cakehole shut about it now)

I also feel like I constantly have to censor myself (Especially since I used to be, and to some extent afraid of my parents) and unable to express my true personality because it's not what the norm wants.