• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

PICK ME PICK ME! jk (kinda) I'm not sure if Ne-dom or Fi-dom (ENFP v. INFP) Help??

stardusted

:hi:

I'm new here but I've been really into personality psych for about two years now. For the past two years, every time I test I would get INFP. I looked into it and it definitely resonated with me, but there were things that didn't (as with most people, I'm sure). I also have been in a bad funk the past couple of years, too, with terrible work atmospheres and the whole "figuring out who I am". :bored:

Okay, I'll get to it...I have been feeling much better the past few months with (finally!) a job atmosphere more conducive to my style and overall being more confident.

Now, I am not a super extraverted person socially; I don't have a ton of friends I hang out with, but I think a lot of people like me/kind of drawn to me. I'm also very flirty but don't mean to be. I love getting to know individuals and can't stand awkward silences. I also hate when I feel like the person I'm with doesn't want to talk. I have read that the majority of INFPs keep emotions inside. I DO NOT DO THIS. I simply cannot do this. I have to talk about my feelings.

I just can't figure it out!! I don't believe in ambiversion, though, because that would mean two functions are constantly fighting each other and I don't think that's how our minds work.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any insider info!! x PEACE.

P.S. I don't know what the thread icons are so I just picked one I liked. Didn't think about that before I posted. Sorry if it's "wrong" for this thread!!

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I dunno, just from reading this, you seem a little more ENFP. I've heard that a great number of them don't necessarily act like the stereotypical extrovert, and can be very selective regarding friends. The first thing I would consider is the basic recharge question. Do you revitalize yourself by being alone? You might feel that sense of exhalation and relief, maybe like a wonderful cooling sensation. Or do you revitalize yourself by surrounding yourself with people (not necessarily strangers)? You might feel a sense of lighting up, like a "happy buzz."

As an aside, I'd have to disagree with you on the ambiversion thing. I most definitely think it's real; we humans are messy individuals, and I think function theory can only go so far. Ambiverts usually have a slight leaning towards one end of the spectrum or other. This leaning, I speculate, would probably determine which function is dominant. And then again, I believe functions can be used at equal capacity, or can switch places. Again, humans are really weird. I think all of us have things inside us that always seem at war.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your attitude toward other people suggests ENFP, at least to me. But yeah, a good question to ask yourself would be, how do you feel when you have to be alone? Is it relaxing and refreshing, or does it make you feel anxious?

stardusted

Hey, the mightyfetus, thanks for the reply. It's weird because I have a sleep disorder so I get tired all the time anyway, so that may be why it's hard for me to gauge the energy thing. But I would say I get invigorated usually, unless it's someone super loud/overbearing.

And also- I like your opinion on the ambiversion thing; interesting theory. I think extraversion/introversion can have multiple meanings (i.e., social, cognitive, possibly more), and kinda stole my opinion from personalityhacker's podcast titled "Do Ambiverts Exist?".

Either way, you should check it/them out...Really interesting stuff!!

Last edited:

stardusted

Your attitude toward other people suggests ENFP, at least to me. But yeah, a good question to ask yourself would be, how do you feel when you have to be alone? Is it relaxing and refreshing, or does it make you feel anxious?

Hey there!! Did you do that artwork in your avatar, BTW? Pretty sweet.

And thanks for the reply! Honestly, sometimes I find it soo relaxing. Other times, I feel depressed. I really am wondering if I've falsely thought I was INFP for two years now! I also wonder if that funk I was in made me really clam up and become anti-social because the situation at that job made me really depressed...

I have tried to be all "feely" and write and stuff, but I get so bored doing it. I also have never been a big fantasy person, i.e., I feel more grounded than many INFPs (from what I can tell). I am wondering if that may be due to an extraverted focus? I have also always cared very much about what people thought of me--no matter how hard I tried not to! Their opinion seemed truer than mine...OF ME. :shock: I've gotten better with this though.

BluRoses

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3

I'm new here but I've been really into personality psych for about two years now. For the past two years, every time I test I would get INFP. I looked into it and it definitely resonated with me, but there were things that didn't (as with most people, I'm sure). I also have been in a bad funk the past couple of years, too, with terrible work atmospheres and the whole "figuring out who I am". :bored:

Okay, I'll get to it...I have been feeling much better the past few months with (finally!) a job atmosphere more conducive to my style and overall being more confident.

Now, I am not a super extraverted person socially; I don't have a ton of friends I hang out with, but I think a lot of people like me/kind of drawn to me. I'm also very flirty but don't mean to be. I love getting to know individuals and can't stand awkward silences. I also hate when I feel like the person I'm with doesn't want to talk. I have read that the majority of INFPs keep emotions inside. I DO NOT DO THIS. I simply cannot do this. I have to talk about my feelings.

I just can't figure it out!! I don't believe in ambiversion, though, because that would mean two functions are constantly fighting each other and I don't think that's how our minds work.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any insider info!!

I agree with the other folks who posted that you sound more like an ENFP to me. :D Either way, Welcome!

I am most definitely ENFJ, but when I am in a funk I can really isolate myself and become much for "I" like. I also thought that your comment about wanting to talk with the person your with and not liking it when they don't, sounds very E to me. Ultimately, you are the only one who can know for SURE what type you are, but good luck!

Violet Rose

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'd agree with ENFP. You definitely seem Ne leading :) Questionnaire might yield more clues, if you want to do that.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I might check it out! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=24529]stardusted[/MENTION] Haha, no, I didn't draw it. I just found it on the Interwebs. I'm a dirty thief.

You really do sound very ENFP-ish to me. In fact, a lot of what you said reminds me of my ENFP ex-boyfriend. He doesn't mind being alone, but he's definitely energized when he's around others. And he loves talking and getting to know people. He can talk to literally anyone. It's one of the things I find simultaneously admirable and annoying about him. :laugh:

He also doesn't care about fantasy or sci-fi stuff. But I'm not sure those are type-related.

And I could see how a depressed ENFP might mistake themselves for an INFP. If they focus too much on their inner world, they can seem like introverts.

But I'm not an ENFP! I just know a lot of them. [MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION], [MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION], [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION], [MENTION=20880]labyrinth_perhaps[/MENTION], any thoughts?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You definitely seem Extraverted, either Ne or Se. The INFPs I've met tend to feel a bit anxious about talking about their feelings, and tend to feel like they're the source of awkward silence. I've been in two different phases where I've thought I was Introverted. The first is when I was in a depression, and I would consistently test as an INTP, skewing towards T is not all that unusual for a male. The second is recently where I wondered if I wasn't an INFP, because I'm pretty comfortable with myself and have been wielding my Te like a curmudgeonly old man's cane at the expense of socializing in uninteresting situations.

Cygnus

Get this hothead outta here.

Extrovert. Considerably higher-energy than many self-proclaimed ENFPs on this site.
I like.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ

Anyway, thanks in advance for any insider info!! x PEACE.

P.S. I don't know what the thread icons are so I just picked one I liked. Didn't think about that before I posted. Sorry if it's "wrong" for this thread!!

That thread title sure ain't the work of an INFP :newwink: And your whole post is OBVIOUSLY not introverted. You're definitely EFP, probably ENFP. I can hear it in your writing voice, dude. Also, the "I'm really flirty but I'm not trying to be" is a classic ENFP refrain.

Even your PS sounds like Ne.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oops, sorry I forgot to tag you, [MENTION=7040]Forever_Jung[/MENTION].

<-- #foreverdumb

stardusted

Firstly- thanks, [MENTION=23115]BadOctopus[/MENTION], for asking others to help out!! Much appreciated.

A couple of things:

I realize I probably sound like I scream E in my post, so let me even the playing field a little...

• I am pretty laid back/can definitely be laZy, capital Z. ;) I do get excited easily though.
  • I also can be VERY sensitive to loud noises or lots of activity around me. It will drain me pretty quickly, unless it's good music or an exciting event, like a music festival.
  • I am a BIG over-analyzer. (i.e., aka 'ironic example' --this post.)
  • I also have never thought of myself as an extravert. Ever. Well, until recently obviously.

Many thanks to those who have posted!!

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Firstly- thanks, [MENTION=23115]BadOctopus[/MENTION], for asking others to help out!! Much appreciated.

A couple of things:

I realize I probably sound like I scream E in my post, so let me even the playing field a little...

• I am pretty laid back/can definitely be laZy, capital Z. ;) I do get excited easily though.
  • I also can be VERY sensitive to loud noises or lots of activity around me. It will drain me pretty quickly, unless it's good music or an exciting event, like a music festival.
  • I am a BIG over-analyzer. (i.e., aka 'ironic example' --this post.)
  • I also have never thought of myself as an extravert. Ever. Well, until recently obviously.

Many thanks to those who have posted!!

If you think you're introverted, I'm not going to stop you, but in my opinion this post changes nothing. :newwink:

What you describe is not incompatible with being an ENFP. SOOO many ENFP's think they're introverted. I still think I'm introverted sometimes, because I almost never leave my house, I'm always daydreaming and reflecting, and I hate big parties. I think it's because Ne is less tangible and external than the other extraverted functions Fe/Se/Te, so it doesn't always look extraverted. Besides, everyone has an introverted and an extraverted side. Paraphrasing Jung, a pure extravert/introvert would belong in an asylum.

PS a classic "type me" rule of thumb is that INFP's rarely think they're ENFP's, but ENFP's very frequently think they're INFP's.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENFP no question. :D

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read the title of your post, saw your avatar and username and I feel you might be ENFP

stardusted

I think it's because Ne is less tangible and external than the other extraverted functions Fe/Se/Te, so it doesn't always look extraverted.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you!

Do you or anyone here know any other INFPs who can chime in too? I would some insight from healthy INFPs regarding how their Ne manifests?

Anyone know any? Or maybe want to speculate? :campfire:

stardusted

Thanks for your input, [MENTION=17051]Abbey[/MENTION]. Would you mind explaining how your Ne shows up in your life? Maybe an example or two? And conversely, how you are sure you're Fi dominant?

Thank you!!

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah, i'd definitely buy ENFP for you. ESFP isn't ruled out by your OP at all, but if you resonate with Ne-Fi and just aren't sure of your stacking, then i'd say for SURE ENFP. i'm kinda weirdly ambiverted. introverts make me feel like a loud crazy person, and MANY extroverts make me feel like a low energy wallflower.

:) glad you're here. thanks for the tag [MENTION=23115]BadOctopus[/MENTION].