• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nocapszy's Enneagram

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't see as much difference between 7 and 5 as poriferan says there is.

They can help eachother. Learning how shit is, makes adventuring at lot easier. Adventuring gives you plenty of experience to learn the world.

I imagine it's far deeper than that, but on the surface, I don't see any real conflict. Contrast maybe, but... I'm kinda a contrast to myself a lot of the time.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The problem is that 5s are generally passive avoiders, whereas 7s are aggressive pursuers.

The biggest difference between the 7 and 5, as well as the biggest difference between the 7 and what I see in you, is that 7s try to control their feelings for the sake of projection. They try to look happy, look nice, look confident, look enthusiastic, even when they really aren't. 5s are emotional supressers. Just to bring 8s into the mix, they are emotionall turbulent, angry, despairing people.

A funny thing about the Enneagram is that they try to package it like there are nine totally unique types. Of course, I realized that there were surely some variables I could chop it down into. By analyzing the "brief enneagram tests" I got an idea of what variables they use.

So, if you take their archetypical profiles as authority, then a Seven has to be a faker of positivity. Likewise, I found that, unlike many other traits that they supposedly have, false positivity was one of things that actually existed as the value of a variable. The other two types with the false positivity trait are Twos and Nines.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I don't see as much difference between 7 and 5 as poriferan says there is.

The main difference between 7 and 5 is how they deal with their anxiety.
The 5 withdraws from the outside world while the 7 withdraws from the inner world.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Wouldn't 7w5 be a 7 on a good day, and a 5w7 be a 5 on a bad day?

It makes sense to scrap traditional wing theory, but then should we also scrap integration/disintegration? It seems like it'd work out better if wings could be any enneatype except the ones the type integrates/disintegrates to -- so a 7 could have a wing of any type except for 1 and 5, and a 5 could have any wing except 7 and 8, and so on.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
The main difference between 7 and 5 is how they deal with their anxiety.
The 5 withdraws from the outside world while the 7 withdraws from the inner world.

But what if I'm just never anxious?

I don't run away from my problems because I'm usually able to convince myself that they're not really problems.

When I do confess and submit, I do often withdraw.

Additionally, I'd say the source of anxiety would be play a large role in my reaction to it.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't run away from my problems because I'm usually able to convince myself that they're not really problems.

When I do confess and submit, I do often withdraw.

Additionally, I'd say the source of anxiety would be play a large role in my reaction to it.

The problem is that the whole pattern is already usually defined in one type. It's not about switching back and forth between core and wing. Still, the habit you describe is a possible trait of 7s. To hide knowledge of problems from oneself, and then run when it can't be hidden anymore.

We're still at the drawing board though, because 8s do something similar. They convince themselves that they can handle anything(not quite the same as pretending there aren't any problems) and then huddle down when they realize that they couldn't handle something.

redacted

(didn't read anyone else's response)

i vote 7w8

i think the 8 wing is played out strongly online; it's like a persona. your thought processes seem much more 7ish (only because i know how you talk on AIM, everyone else sees complete/edited posts)

edit:

hahaha soooo 7.

intellectualizing away your anxiousness because you'd rather not be bogged down by it.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
It seems pretty consistent that I'm 7 or 8.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, in that case

Misidentifying Sevens and Eights

Sevens and Eights are both aggressive types and can resemble each other in certain respects. Both are powerful personalities who are able to go after what they want in life, but what they want, and how they attempt to get it, are different.

Sevens are primarily interested in variety–they want to sample as many different experiences as possible and become practical in as much as their practicality gives them the means to pursue the experiences they want to try.

Eights, by contrast, are more interested in intensity–they care less about variety than about having intense experiences that they enjoy. Eights are also interested in power, both as a way to maintain their independence and as a way of asserting their dominance in the environment. Sevens are not particularly interested in having power, seeing the work necessary to maintain it as possibly infringing on their freedom.

Eights are an Instinctive type, and as such, make decisions from their "gut" instincts. They prefer dealing with practical matters, and although emotionally volatile at times, generally remain grounded and down to earth. Sevens are Thinking types, and can have brilliant, quick minds. At the same time, Sevens can get ahead of themselves with their plans, schemes, and interests: they can have trouble staying grounded and on track with their projects. Sevens see themselves as idealistic optimists, while Eights see themselves as hard-nosed realists.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oki-doki smokey.

Should we take your word on that, or just assume differently because people mistype themselves? :D

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Why would you diverge false information if you want to find out your true type? That is illogical.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
There is no such thing as a 7w5, only a 7 with a line to 5. You're either a 7w6 or 7w8.
Both 6w7 and 6w5?
A faulty doctrine anyway.

The ultimate odd man is out:
A triangle does nor work without parity.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I always listen to wildcat.

I'll read up on sixes.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
sWv

(Fo sho before your time. P.S. I know nothing about Enneagram. Not even sure I spelled it right.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always listen to wildcat.

I'll read up on sixes.

6s and 8s are frequently mistyped. They can both be outgoing but the 6 is a mental type while the 8 is an instinctual type.

I could see a counterphobic 6 for you. 6 is also nicknamed the Devil's Advocate. ;)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
As flattering as it is that you call me Devil's Advocate, I can't say I'm a six.

It seemed to fit for a moment, but I decided it just wasn't right.

Plus, comparing myself to my 6 NFJ ... I just can't help myself but LOL.