• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help Wanted. Can you figure out my type?

agspath

MBTI Type
????
Enneagram
9w1
Hey Guys, I'd posted a couple of threads on TC before, but they really did not help me much, so I've decided I'll take one last shot at asking you wonderful, people here to help me determine my type. I'll post a little about myself and if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Here goes:

I am currently struggling with what life means and what i want to do with my life. I get anxious when people ask me what I want to do in life because I don’t have a fixed goal. I really have never had a fixed long term goal in my life – ever. I am not ambitious or materialistic. I don't care about money or expensive clothes and cars at all. The reason why I probably struggle with what I want to do is because I really can imagine my life going in so many different directions and I have this crazy belief that everything is going to end happily. I also cannot settle on one career path and I try to hide this fact from other people by putting up a façade in public.

I am in my head a lot, I find it tiresome to have to deal with doing more and more in the external world. I need to build a resume, get a job, go to clubs, etc. While I can do excellent on the job, and people applaud the work I do, I find it boring and tiresome and annoying. It's kind of like this: While I have to do my work, I put on this mask in which I am a hardworking, diligient, and quiet. After the hours are done, and I go home, I don't really want to deal with anything work or external world related. I just want to eat, sleep, make art, read or write. I cannot stand having to keep doing more and more in order to support the perception of "hardworking, diligent, and quiet person" I give to other people. To others I might just be another perfect student, employee, daughter, etc. I do a really good job at manipulating other people's perceptions of me.

I am a strong feminist and left wing centrist, and that is practically irrefutable. I am quite open-minded. I am a romantic. I never want to get married or have kids. (and I am extremely sure of that!)I am very moody – or at least that’s what people tell me. My moods changes with the wind…I can go from blissfully calm in the morning, to sad at noon, to happy in the afternoon, and annoyed at night. Often this makes me erratic and whimsical. So yeah, I am often capricious. Sometimes I don't even know why I feel a certain way... I don't understand my own emotions in that sense. You could ask me "How are you feeling?" and I wouldn't know how to respond because I can't really express it, in that manner...

In real life, I hide behind this façade, this mask, that tells everyone I have got my life together when really I am this big ball of indecision and laziness. I unconsciously alter my personality to match the surroundings I am in. So to one person I can seem illogical and scatterbrained and to another person I can seem smart and decisive. This constant push and pull between the façade I show and the person I really am bothers me. Sometimes, I find myself wondering whether I have lost parts of myself in my façade.

Alea_iacta_est

Sounds remarkably EII-ish, though I'm sure arguments could be made for IEI as well.

Your style of mental self-categorization in short, static statements, with a sort of autocentrism (for lack of a more neutral term) in your worldview and world orientation suggests more :Fi:, but it by no means excludes the possibility of :Ni:. There is a bit of a static quality to it, however.

This also might reflect :Si: as a cherished value and perhaps a hint of disdain for :Se:, which I see as the most prominent argument for EII.

Arguments for IEI include a predisposition to Introverted Irrational temperament behavior.

agspath

MBTI Type
????
Enneagram
9w1
Sounds remarkably EII-ish, though I'm sure arguments could be made for IEI as well.

Your style of mental self-categorization in short, static statements, with a sort of autocentrism (for lack of a more neutral term) in your worldview and world orientation suggests more :Fi:, but it by no means excludes the possibility of :Ni:. There is a bit of a static quality to it, however.

This also might reflect :Si: as a cherished value and perhaps a hint of disdain for :Se:, which I see as the most prominent argument for EII.

Arguments for IEI include a predisposition to Introverted Irrational temperament behavior.

I don't really know about Socionics, I only know about MBTI. So most of what you said was incomprehensible to me. Do you mind explaining?please.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I first guessed ENFP from the whole "I know my mind but I've no idea what I want" bit at the start.

No so sure by the end. There are several scenarios which could lead to many interpretations of the data given.

What do you commonly test as?
If you get varied test results than ENFP or ENTP are likely, the latter moreso.

Question regarding art (more for my own amusement than helping, adkittedly) do you appreciate technique more or passion? (long standing discussion between myself an ENFJ and an ISTP where neither of us T people hold much value for modern art due to its lack of craftsmanship in the main.)

agspath

MBTI Type
????
Enneagram
9w1
I first guessed ENFP from the whole "I know my mind but I've no idea what I want" bit at the start.

No so sure by the end. There are several scenarios which could lead to many interpretations of the data given.

What do you commonly test as?
If you get varied test results than ENFP or ENTP are likely, the latter moreso.

Question regarding art (more for my own amusement than helping, adkittedly) do you appreciate technique more or passion? (long standing discussion between myself an ENFJ and an ISTP where neither of us T people hold much value for modern art due to its lack of craftsmanship in the main.)

I have actually been tested as an ISFP, INTP, ISFJ, INFP, and ISTJ. Making me all the more confused about what type I truly am. I've taken the test so many times that I can actually manipulate the test to give me the result I want. I get tested as an introvert more than an extrovert because I am quite unsocial and like to spend a lot of time to myself.

I try to make it a point to make art for myself and not for others. I have made it a point to keep making the art I make, regardless of whether it defies conventions or not. I hate it when art teachers say "don't smudge, because I hate smudging" or "don't use acrylics because I don't like them". I believe art is a freeing experience, an expressive form that does not require rules or conventions. So, when people impose these "rules" I am annoyed. Yet, I probably never express my annoyances because I try to establish the "goody two-shoes" image I have with all my teachers.So, the thing is while I probably may never make it as an artist, I will continue to make art (good or bad) that expresses my thoughts and feelings.

To answer your question, I am not sure exactly, I guess I appreciate passion more. While I appreciate technique, passion is what drives the artwork. I view technique as a toolbox, and passion as the main idea. While it is possible to convey ideas with or without a toolbox, the same cannot be said for a toolbox.
I hope that made sense...

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Okay you use words more like a T than an F to my mind but your behaviour is more F from description.

I'd imagine you test as I because that's what you are expecting.

Perhaps a hard look at your environment and how it may have quashed certain aspects and elevated others may give you insight into your "true" type.

agspath

MBTI Type
????
Enneagram
9w1
Okay you use words more like a T than an F to my mind but your behaviour is more F from description.

I'd imagine you test as I because that's what you are expecting.

Perhaps a hard look at your environment and how it may have quashed certain aspects and elevated others may give you insight into your "true" type.

I think you might be right... I probably test as an Introvert because of the way I was bought up. I guess it is sort of pointless to go on trying to expect you to guess my type, when I don't even know myself well. So, I guess I'll have to find myself first...Thanks for all the help! :)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I think you might be right... I probably test as an Introvert because of the way I was bought up. I guess it is sort of pointless to go on trying to expect you to guess my type, when I don't even know myself well. So, I guess I'll have to find myself first...Thanks for all the help! :)

It never hurts to ask.

Primary information though is keys. It'll be the small things which show your type. The big things tend to show your personality.

Yin and Yang

Here's my theory:

You've tested more for "S" "F" "P" than "N" "T" "J" and my guess is you test as an introvert because you're an introvert. Thus, if I had to make an educated guess based on that alone, I would label you an ISFP - which is more than likely why you value your "main idea (Passion)" over your "toolbox (Technique)" in regards to art.

Your enneagram type is type 9 sp/sx (90% sure of this), it sounds identical to what you described.

going off of your various statements, you do not strike me as an ISTJ because of your disdain for rules (if that is an accurate perception). But, since you have tested as an INTP & an ISFJ, it makes since to me why you would test as an ISTJ... reason being, if you are an ISFP and you developed your judging qualities to the point of [near] muscle memory, all that is left is to develop you thinking qualities, giving you ISTJ (if that was your train of thought while answering the test questions). in layman's terms, it makes sense [to me] that ISFP + ISFJ + INFP +INTP = ISTJ

My suggestion:

Take the test again, but this time, keep how you feel personally in mind. Do not be bothered with how you would act in response to a particular person because, in my opinion, doing this will give you a false reading. When I tested on my "honest thoughts," I test INTJ. When I test on how I act in order to "please people", I confuse the test and get INTJ, INFJ, ISFJ, or ISTJ because I've developed those senses to please people in certain situations... does that make sense?

When you answer a question, if you can't determine which is honest, then think about the particular question or statement, and how you would react to [all of these] a family member (includes a spouse), a close friend, as well as a stranger... and then think about how your decision would truly make you feel. For instance, if the statement is "Often it's not what I want, it's what others want that's more important to me." Don't simply click "very accurate" based on the fact that you're a person pleaser. If you're silently annoyed by the fact that you please people, that would be a lie.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't, feel free to ask me for clarification and I will be more than happy to oblige. I have a tendency to confuse people during my explanations; it's not my strong suit, but if you let me know where you got confused, then I will find the words to help you understand what I mean. I promise.

P.S.
"I view technique as a toolbox, and passion as the main idea. While it is possible to convey ideas with or without a toolbox, the same cannot be said for a toolbox." Brilliant!!! Totally made sense. And, after you retake the test [based on your truthful and personal feelings], let us know the result; you don't have to, but I am curious.

agspath

MBTI Type
????
Enneagram
9w1
Here's my theory:

You've tested more for "S" "F" "P" than "N" "T" "J" and my guess is you test as an introvert because you're an introvert. Thus, if I had to make an educated guess based on that alone, I would label you an ISFP - which is more than likely why you value your "main idea (Passion)" over your "toolbox (Technique)" in regards to art.

Your enneagram type is type 9 sp/sx (90% sure of this), it sounds identical to what you described.

going off of your various statements, you do not strike me as an ISTJ because of your disdain for rules (if that is an accurate perception). But, since you have tested as an INTP & an ISFJ, it makes since to me why you would test as an ISTJ... reason being, if you are an ISFP and you developed your judging qualities to the point of [near] muscle memory, all that is left is to develop you thinking qualities, giving you ISTJ (if that was your train of thought while answering the test questions). in layman's terms, it makes sense [to me] that ISFP + ISFJ + INFP +INTP = ISTJ

My suggestion:

Take the test again, but this time, keep how you feel personally in mind. Do not be bothered with how you would act in response to a particular person because, in my opinion, doing this will give you a false reading. When I tested on my "honest thoughts," I test INTJ. When I test on how I act in order to "please people", I confuse the test and get INTJ, INFJ, ISFJ, or ISTJ because I've developed those senses to please people in certain situations... does that make sense?

When you answer a question, if you can't determine which is honest, then think about the particular question or statement, and how you would react to [all of these] a family member (includes a spouse), a close friend, as well as a stranger... and then think about how your decision would truly make you feel. For instance, if the statement is "Often it's not what I want, it's what others want that's more important to me." Don't simply click "very accurate" based on the fact that you're a person pleaser. If you're silently annoyed by the fact that you please people, that would be a lie.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't, feel free to ask me for clarification and I will be more than happy to oblige. I have a tendency to confuse people during my explanations; it's not my strong suit, but if you let me know where you got confused, then I will find the words to help you understand what I mean. I promise.

P.S.
"I view technique as a toolbox, and passion as the main idea. While it is possible to convey ideas with or without a toolbox, the same cannot be said for a toolbox." Brilliant!!! Totally made sense. And, after you retake the test [based on your truthful and personal feelings], let us know the result; you don't have to, but I am curious.

Thanks! for a really nice comment and helpful explanation... the very first time I took an mbti test I got ISFP. The first time I took an enneagram test I got 4w5 sp/sx with a high score for 9.

However, I was not sure about both my enneagram and mbti results. As time flew by, I began to spiral down into more uncertainty. I think a huge part of it has to deal with my inability to understand who i am and what I want from life. I have spent the last two - three years in a state of drifting with what everyone else expected me to do, even if deep down I didn't want to do so. I put up this persona that everyone could find agreeable. But I began losing parts of myself gradually into the persona. I mean there are so many things I don't let people know. Like how I am really not organized, and how I actually enjoy rom-coms, and how I am actually very talkative if you get to know me, and how ...

Wow! I should seriously stop ranting about how lost I feel...Let's get back on topic, shall we? So, I didn't know what test was reliable and I took two of them. The first one is :Discordia Inc. - Just who the HELL do you THINK you are?. I scored as an ENFP. The second one is : http://similarminds.com/cgi-bin/jung2.pl. I scored as an ISTP.

So, basically, I am back to square one. I know i'm probably all over the place and I probably am not giving you too much to go on...
Thanks for helping, anyways!

Cygnus

I don't really know about Socionics, I only know about MBTI. So most of what you said was incomprehensible to me. Do you mind explaining?please.

EII INFj (socionics) == INFP (MBTI)
IEI INFp (socionics) == INFJ (MBTI)

:Fi: (socionics) == Fi (MBTI)
:Ni: == Ni
:Si: == Si
:Se: == Se

Most Socionics experts consider these likenings between types and functions in MBTI and Socionics to be insufficient because Socionics information elements have somewhat different functions than MBTI cognitive functions, and because Socionics types that would functionally seem parallel to certain MBTI types are associated with stereotypes that actually better describe different MBTI types.

agspath

MBTI Type
????
Enneagram
9w1
Hi! So I haven't really updated in a while and I think this might be helpful....I've done a lot of thinking and I realized I am a Ne user and not Ni user. I went through all the types and eliminated them one by one until I landed up with the XNXP types. I am certain that I resonate more with the descriptions of NP types than any of the others (a.k.a XSXJ, XNXJ, XSXP). Now I just need your help to figure out if I am Fe/Ti or Te/Fi. Here are some points that may help you. Feel free to ask questions.

I have almost have an inability to plan for my future. This is because i don't find the need to plan for it, I can see my life going in so many different directions and I believe wherever I end up I'll be fine. It's not because I don't want to go places, it's just that my definition of "going places" is travelling, and when I am travelling I like to wander, lose myself in anything that catches my fancy. Wander without an agenda or goals.​

I don't have goals in life, I don't really have a huge drive to ACHIEVE things in life. I just know that wherever I end up, I want to continue making art, travelling (even if it's catching a train to go to work), writing in my journals, watching movies, listening to music, and learning.​

I often do a lot of things just because I am curious about them or they catch my interest, to the utter horror of my father. I once spent an entire afternoon learning about military cuisine because one of the people I follow on tumblr. posted a recipe for a dish inspired by military cuisine. My father was completely perplexed and asked me why I was reading an article on military cuisine, because I guess he assumed that there was a purpose to what I was doing.​

I don't share my sadness with other people because of the way I was bought up. My parents are unhealthy SJs, I believe, who do not express their emotions freely. I can be very moody, with really wild mood swings. And although I dream about having a shoulder to cry on, I can seldom find one in reality. I find it easy to express annoyance, happiness, and even melancholic moods...but I just don't want to cry because I don't want people to stare at me (in school) or my parents to wonder why I am unhappy. Usually, I can suppress my emotions without people knowing, but sometimes I just express those negative emotions because, I mean, I guess I get tried of having to pretend I am okay.​

I am not really healthy, I know, but I am trying to make up my mind to visit a guidance counselor.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I agree with the others who have said 9w1. You fit the description very well. You are not a 4, even an unhealthy one.

However, I don't see ISFP over INFP. [MENTION=70]Xander[/MENTION] What is your rationale for a Sensing preference? She sounds almost like the stereotype of an INFP to me, that if anything is what makes me suspicious.

agspath

MBTI Type
????
Enneagram
9w1
I agree with the others who have said 9w1. You fit the description very well. You are not a 4, even an unhealthy one.

However, I don't see ISFP over INFP. [MENTION=70]Xander[/MENTION] What is your rationale for a Sensing preference? She sounds almost like the stereotype of an INFP to me, that if anything is what makes me suspicious.

I am curious as to why you consider me to be a type 9. From what I’ve heard they are “even tempered” people who are “more comfortable being in the outside world than their inner world”. Guaranteed, I am not really a healthy person but, I have erratic mood swings and I am in my head a lot. I don’t really resonate with the social butterfly type 9.

As for being an INFP, I am curious as to how you typed me to be a lead Fi user. I am not sure I use Te at all. I mean I don’t want to achieve a whole lot in the external world, and I am pretty sure I can be quite facially expressive as Fe users can.

I don’t mean to offend you or anything, It’s just that I’ve spent around 3 years being unsure of my type, so I’d prefer it if you could give me a bit of an explanation.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I am curious as to why you consider me to be a type 9. From what I’ve heard they are “even tempered” people who are “more comfortable being in the outside world than their inner world”. Guaranteed, I am not really a healthy person but, I have erratic mood swings and I am in my head a lot. I don’t really resonate with the social butterfly type 9.

You admitted you don a mask to get on better with others. No E4 - and i suspect like many people you are trying to come across as an E4 - would ever do this, as habitually adapting to please others would be violating their sense of identity. Any type can have a rich inner world; creativity for example is unrelated to Enneatype. I don't see you as an E3 or E6, either. I would never alter myself to please a stranger.

As for being an INFP, I am curious as to how you typed me to be a lead Fi user. I am not sure I use Te at all. I mean I don’t want to achieve a whole lot in the external world, and I am pretty sure I can be quite facially expressive as Fe users can.

Te is your inferior if you are INFP, so you may not be consciously aware of it. Typing like this is as much a process of elimination as anything. You show a lot of Fi in your posts, and an abstract approach that would suggest an iNtuitive preference. I am not one to deal in detail/examples, and can contrast myself to you here. INFPs use Ne/Si and like you, feel dissatisfied without specific examples of something. You asked for more detail. Ni/Se (NJs/SPs) prefers generalities.

I don’t mean to offend you or anything, It’s just that I’ve spent around 3 years being unsure of my type, so I’d prefer it if you could give me a bit of an explanation.

It isn't a big deal, don't worry.

agspath

MBTI Type
????
Enneagram
9w1
Thanks for the explanation. Whew! Now I can be certain of my type. :)