• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

AGA is an INTP!

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
AGA is an INTP??

So yeah. I took the MBTI Step II test and it gave me INTP. I also had the little phone interview, and that pretty much sealed the deal.

My strongest preference was Intuition. Followed by Introversion. Followed by Perception. Finally followed by Thinking.

I am pretty much in shock over this. I mean, over the past year or two, I've come to think maybe I am really a T. And I've considered P this past couple of weeks. But to actually test as an INTP is shocking.

Is anyone else shocked? Or does this seem fitting for me?

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're one of the least INTP people I've known. So yeah. Shocked, and I'd be surprised if it was correct.

Why do you think you scanned as an INTP on this Step II test? (I'm not surprised your Intuition came out as the highest, though.)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The closest one was thinking/feeling, so I discussed this with the consultant. I pretty much use my intuition to make decisions (because I go with my 'gut'), but other than that, I put objective criteria over people's feelings. I just use a lot of feeling at my work as a midwife, and a mom, so I think I tested more F all those years because that was my environment, more than who I actually was.

The next thing we delved into was what it means to be a judger versus a perceiver. I had bought into the notion that a perceiver was sort of lazy, a procrastinator, and didn't achieve much. He spoke to that being absolutely untrue. A perceiver just prefers to not lock in on plans, but to leave leeway for adaptation. This is exactly me. I do like to have a framework, and derive pleasure from planning things like vacation, but within that framework I like to keep things very loose, so that I can see what life brings. Leaving things open doesn't stress me out. Locking in to plans does. I am okay scheduling client visits, but even that can cause me stress worrying about having enough time for appts and what if something comes up that needs extra time?

But really my T/F and J/P are pretty close, and I am competent at both. It's just that my nature is to be TP. lol

I'm basically in shock. Still.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I really don't see you as T. Most of your reasoning comes from your values (heart), not data or observations.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The closest one was thinking/feeling, so I discussed this with the consultant. I pretty much use my intuition to make decisions (because I go with my 'gut'), but other than that, I put objective criteria over people's feelings. I just use a lot of feeling at my work as a midwife, and a mom, so I think I tested more F all those years because that was my environment, more than who I actually was.

The next thing we delved into was what it means to be a judger versus a perceiver. I had bought into the notion that a perceiver was sort of lazy, a procrastinator, and didn't achieve much. He spoke to that being absolutely untrue. A perceiver just prefers to not lock in on plans, but to leave leeway for adaptation. This is exactly me. I do like to have a framework, and derive pleasure from planning things like vacation, but within that framework I like to keep things very loose, so that I can see what life brings. Leaving things open doesn't stress me out. Locking in to plans does. I am okay scheduling client visits, but even that can cause me stress worrying about having enough time for appts and what if something comes up that needs extra time?

But really my T/F and J/P are pretty close, and I am competent at both. It's just that my nature is to be TP. lol

I'm basically in shock. Still.

Which I think is appropriate. You should likely get a second opinion. You don't exhibit the level of detachment typical of a TP approach in terms of how you engage others. Your values approach doesn't come across as a learned behavior; it's actually when you respond in a more measured way that seems to be something you've learned and are applying.

I don't really see the things you're describing as being contradictory. ISFJs, for example, are pretty "objective" when it comes to sensory tasks and can exhibit a high degree of what some would misconstrue as Te-dom.

Likewise, perceiver types can sometimes be highly constructive; I agree with the guy there. Type A Ps, for example, will accomplish a great deal and have a plan. Only some combinations are procrastinating and accomplish little, it depends on many factors (including the blend of functions, and even upbringing and life experiences -- which can increase or diminish the amount of focused effort the P can make and the amount of focus exhibited).

There's a gray area in between extreme P and J that allows for a plan with some flex, so I don't think that says a great deal.

The "flex" stuff you are describing seems to be more a hallmark of N (which is a P-style function), which is why I said that part does not surprise me at all.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with Jennifer.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I really don't see you as T. Most of your reasoning comes from your values (heart), not data or observations.

How do you know how I reason?
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] i'd post my results but they are a pdf file.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is the MBTI description of INTP.

This explains why I was able to fire my INFP long-term friend recently, and not feel any differently about our friendship (because it is an objective case of her not being qualified), but she now hates my guts (and shows it), whereas I behave just like I always did. This really did not cause me any remorse, as it might have an F type. I was slightly bummed because I care about her feelings, but I really wish she would just accept the fact that she is not cut out for this career.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
By reading numerous posts where you justify your opinions.

Hmm. That seems vague. Perhaps you should read the MBTI type description for INTP I just posted.

The consultant said sometimes personality forums tend to promulgate false type-related information.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]

I don't like the way you condescend to me. I will not discuss things with you if you act like that, as it is not pleasurable for me, not does it allow for an aire of open discussion, making it a waste of time.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'd post my results but they are a pdf file.

You're not obligated to post them, since it could take a little work.

However, depending on what version of Acrobat Reader you have, you might be able to save the data as text (Save as Other). And if you own Acrobat in general, you can probably export page images.

Barring that, there's always screen captures and saving in Paint.

(Like I said, I know that's work, so only if you feel like it. I'm always curious to see the Step II anyway but haven't yet spent $100 to get it done.)

I don't like the way you condescend to me. I will not discuss things with you if you act like that, as it is not pleasurable for me, not does it allow for an aire of open discussion, making it a waste of time.

Sorry, I just saw this.

I stopped engaging you yesterday because I didn't want to continue to respond out of negativity, so it sounds like we're in agreement at least about the viability of continued conversation on the topic. We're not going to agree, and I don't see the point in pretending it's a viable read for you. Sorry. I'd have the same response if you were claiming you had been designated an ESTJ and trying to reinterpret yourself as one. Still, I guess there is value in revisiting your self-identity and trying on new clothes, so to speak, so good luck and I hope it works out in the sense of providing access to parts of yourself you had not engaged as of yet.

Last edited:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
b5ekX4F.jpg

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is anyone else shocked? Or does this seem fitting for me?

I would have to say that I am a little shocked. However, I would have a few observations.

- I do think you are a perceiver. I can easily see Ne + P.
- I recall numerous instances in your posts where you seemed to be showing Ti vs. Te
- You are so clearly intuitive it is not even funny :). I have thought on occasion that you prefer Ne over Ni.
- On Se vs. Si, I would say you are more Si though it is obviously not in your top two functions
- On Fe vs. Fi, I am not sure. I could see you preferring Fe but I can't see how that would be in the top two in your functions stack.
- You have always seemed more confrontational than a typical NF, so being an NT could help to explain that.
- You love to analyze stuff in a deep way. That analytical tendency can be somewhat typical of INTs.

So looking at all the pieces of detailed evidence that I can think of, I believe it is possible. All of those points are consistent with an Ti>Ne>Fe>Si

[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]

I don't think she is doing that. It seems like she is just stating an opinion? On her point related to "detachment that INTPs typically show" - I think it's a good point. I wonder if enneagram sx/so impacts your engagement style as compared to the typical INTP. I doubt many INTPs are sx first, let alone sx/so (or 7 for that matter).

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...31-enneagram-type-7-instinctual-subtypes.html

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Just reading the responses and was thinking that your point about how being a mid-wife, a profession that thrusts you into a feeling dominant world would impact the way you come across, makes sense. However, I do think INTP is possible for the same reasons highlander outlined, but I was a little bit surprised. Still, the more I think about, the more I see that it is possible.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The cynic in me would make some snide remark about how of course a consultant would denigrate forums dedicated to his area of expertise. But I'm not going to do that.

Instead, I'll say that I think it's cool that you got a consultant's assessment. Not sure what to say, other than I'm glad for you. Not for the specific result, or even whether it's correct or incorrect, but that such a profound realization came out of it. Profound realizations are just neat.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Hey that's nice. Turns out I'm ENTJ dontcherno.

Although my news came from a talking squirrel named nut-crunch.