• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I an INTJ, INTP or ISTJ?

sigrvina

Hi! I'm torn between especially INTJ and INTP but whenever I take a Cognitive Function test I get a result with S (ISTJ, ISTP or INTP) But personality type tests always give me the result of INTJ or INTP. When I first took the test a few months ago I get "INTJ" and didn't question much about it because I think it suited me perfectly but 3 days ago when I took a test again, I started to think whether am I an INTJ or I get an INTJ result because INTJ is the personality I admire. And when I keep retaking tests, watching youtube videos about INTJ and INTP learning about Cognitive functions I started getting even more confused. I'm 17 years old, female. I love certainty in my life, surprises aren't my thing but I'm not a ten step ahead planner as well. I decide what I want to become at the age of 13 and what I want is still the same but whether I'll be going abroad in university or not or I'll be a translator or researcher on Linguistic (I'm very interested in languages and studying languages in high school) is still unknown to me. I know what I want with general points, details are unfortunately developing in time. It's not like I love things this way though. I love having things certain just I over-think about things and usually can't find a solution and keep over thinking that's why I go with the flow, not because I love flow. I'm the type of person who doesn't try new foods, hates going new places etc. I plan where and how I'll be spending my lunch break or what I'm going to do when I'm home. But the problem is I always plan, I rarely follow the plan.

Since childhood I have been having trouble with authority figures but it's not rebellious, against law type. It's usually correcting people who are older than me or higher as rank, position (teachers, grown ups, principals etc) because I don't think respect should be paid to someone because they're older or has a career. People say I talk too formal and I use rules against people when they don't apply them if rules are on my behalf, if they're not well I don't mind crossing them and don't care about them. I'm also not a very friendly person, I don't like sincere relations, good friends who call each other "dear" etc. or I don't believe in everyone is nice etc. but I'm nice to everyone. Not like "I love you, you're nice and precious." but "I have my manners so I'll say thank you, you're welcome, smile if you say something nice but these are not for you, for my self image." I used to talk directly about my ideas but now I can soften them the way I want but still mean the same thing. This confuses me because general idea is INTJs use direct language like "Do this." You're wrong." I'm more of a "Would you mind doing this for me?", "Unfortunately, I don't agree with you. Of course we all have our own ideas but I'd say you may be mistaken." I have a habit of interrupting people while they're talking according to well simply everyone but that's because I don't believe repeating things are great and I get mad if someone says something twice also I think if someone is talking, my voice also worths being heard.

I'm someone who is percieved as cold and hate chatting about random things also not only hate but unable to do (awkward silence or me trying to keep conversation going and getting moody when it doesn't becomes reality after a while -and that while isn't much-) but I love talking, babbling about things I'm interested in with people I'm close to. I have only one close friend at school right now and two not-so-close and with my close friend I talk about science, religion, mythology, philosophy. And sometimes I talk about series I watch with passion but I can't talk things I like with people I'm not close to even if we both are interested in.

As I said before I love planning but can't stick to plans. But I can't stop myself double, triple checkings and never get tired of it (or don't stop even if I'm tired) it may be related with my OCD as well but also a character trait so I don't know whether should I count this as a personality feature or not. I can also "vintage" according to people and has a classic style. I care my looks, I care everything as long as it's about me. It's not like I only care my ideas, I only care my work, I only care my outfit. If I'm living, I want to be living as the best version of myself, best but not for others for me. I also fear being ordinary or shallow because I tend to judge people whom I think they're shallow or ordinary. I hate people who follow the crowd and sometimes don't follow crowd just for the sake of not following the crowd. Maybe I'm just simply stubborn.

And the problem about both INTJ and INTP they're portrayed as scientists, engineers. I've never had interest in mechanics or engineering. I see machines as things I use, I appreciate people who invented, developed them but has no interest in mechanics, physics. Also geometry as well. I love Science except Physics especially Biology. But always found History or Philosophy, Psychology more interesting. Languages are my passion for years, I love them and easily learn even though I'm learning 2 because my school only offers two. English isn't my native language. I also love completing things I started and starting something else while one another isn't completed bugs me but I do this time to time while I keep feeling uncomfortable. I don't see knowledge as knowledge's sake. I don't eager to listen lectures and often percieved as lazy by new teachers until I prove myself on my exam paper. I don't listen stories about the subject. I take what's important about subject, others can listen the stories and examples. I dislike examples I don't know why. But also I can be interested in things don't give me benefit at the moment. Like I've been searching MBTI type for 3 days though I should have been studying I'd rather completing my tasks first but it's always what I want first. Though with 90% possibility I'll be getting the grade I aim tomorrow. I'm also not talented at sports and coordination, aiming. And I'm good with descriptions, explaining things, talking about serious subjects or subjects I'm interested in but bad at shortening my sentences, cutting it shorts or talking about daily things.

Edit: Also I hate people talking when they don't need to or when something isn't asked and have a short temper against the ones who make others wait in order to decide something. Um also even if I look cold and calm I can have breakdowns time to time and have strong feelings about myself like payoff when someone says something bad or annoyance or anger but sadness it's usually like I deserve better so why don't I have the better reaction people around me sadness. And I expect praise and appreciation when I do something such as getting a good grade, doing something quicker than others, helping something. I want something from material world I suppose. And happiness or laughing I don't laugh often or can't fake laughing and people get annoyed when they show me something they think funny and I stare and say "oh it's funny, really" with a smile.

I also can send my Cognitive function results but I've been taking them so frequently so I even don't trust the results right now because I keep thinking so deep when I look at questions and lost the true meaning of them. Hope I didn't explain it too long or bore you, thank you all :unsure:

Last edited:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ugh. Please use the default formatting for this site, it's easier to read. :(

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You seem mostly like an INTP.

To use default formatting, click edit post and then click the icon at the upper left that looks like two A's with an x through them.

sigrvina

You seem mostly like an INTP.

To use default formatting, click edit post and then click the icon at the upper left that looks like two A's with an x through them.

Oh sorry, I haven't recognised it was harder to read and if you don't mind me asking what makes you think that I'm more of an INTP then INTJ because whenever I am convinced of that I'm one of them, I change my idea quickly.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh sorry, I haven't recognised it was harder to read and if you don't mind me asking what makes you think that I'm more of an INTP then INTJ because whenever I am convinced of that I'm one of them, I change my idea quickly.

From your description I would be more confused between INTP and INFP, not between INTP and INTJ. Both the INTP and INFP question authority, INTJ does not. I chose INTP over INFP because you always score as a Thinker on the tests.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Both the INTP and INFP question authority, INTJ does not.
Err, that's not quite true. INTJs respect authority, but only if it's earned. If someone in a position of power is clearly incompetent, I have absolutely no respect for them, nor any desire to listen to them. In fact, I had the same problem as [MENTION=23859]sigrvina[/MENTION] when I was in school. If one of my teachers said something that I knew was wrong, I just couldn't keep my mouth shut. The truth is more important than placating the ego of whoever is in charge.

I think ISTJs are the ones who respect rules and authority.

Anyway, OP, you strike me as an INTJ, but perhaps with a strong Perceiving trait.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Err, that's not quite true. INTJs respect authority, but only if it's earned. If someone in a position of power is clearly incompetent, I have absolutely no respect for them, nor any desire to listen to them. In fact, I had the same problem as [MENTION=23859]sigrvina[/MENTION] when I was in school. If one of my teachers said something that I knew was wrong, I just couldn't keep my mouth shut. The truth is more important than placating the ego of whoever is in charge.

Anyway, OP, you strike me as an INTJ, but perhaps with a strong Perceiving trait.

I didn't say the INTJ believes everything an authority figure says. Nevertheless, the INTJ as a type is authority-oriented. There is a definite, rigorous, and black-and-white bias toward certain authorities over others. The OP didn't show anything like that.

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yep, you're INTP. No doubt about it. :)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Err, that's not quite true. INTJs respect authority, but only if it's earned.

Right:
INTJs
It is assumed that INTJs have no regard for authority when, in fact, what INTJs have is a lack of respect for authority that is not "learned" in ways that will benefit the system - a lack of respect for authority that is not "in the know", for INTJs respect knowledge above all and want only to deal with those who "know".​

So I'm not disagreeing with you about that aspect of the INTJ's relationship to authority. But the OP differs from this description.

And there is this:
"simply everyone but that's because I don't believe repeating things are great and I get mad if someone says something twice" - which exactly matches the first statement in my personality inventory, the one that equals INTP.

sigrvina

From your description I would be more confused between INTP and INFP, not between INTP and INTJ. Both the INTP and INFP question authority, INTJ does not. I chose INTP over INFP because you always score as a Thinker on the tests.

In fact currently I'm more confused between INTP and INFJ (could I be even more absurd oh) but I don't know I feel things, I have breakdowns but in daily life I'm percieved as cold and read that all INFJs aren't emotion butterflies so any idea?

Oh good to know that I wasn't only weird kid hahah. I just can't stop myself especially if wrong things come from people who has to know things because that's their profession, area, job. And thanks for your opinion I don't know as I expressed on the other quotation I also think of INFJ um:huh:

Yep, you're INTP. No doubt about it. :)
Good to hear from another INTP as someone who can experience the mindset of another INTP so thank you for your opinion :)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In fact currently I'm more confused between INTP and INFJ (could I be even more absurd oh) but I don't know I feel things, I have breakdowns but in daily life I'm percieved as cold and read that all INFJs aren't emotion butterflies so any idea?

Oh good to know that I wasn't only weird kid hahah. I just can't stop myself especially if wrong things come from people who has to know things because that's their profession, area, job. And thanks for your opinion I don't know as I expressed on the other quotation I also think of INFJ um:huh:

Good to hear from another INTP as someone who can experience the mindset of another INTP so thank you for your opinion :)

As an INTP, I identify wholeheartedly with your idea that people who are older or higher in rank or position don't necessarily stand over me as authority but are often in need of correction. This started in elementary school when I would correct the teacher's spelling errors. As a teenager I found much to take issue with in the preacher's sermon. For example, I happen to like John Lennon's music, but the preacher was cutting down his "Imagine" as being anti-nation and anti-religion. For one thing, that's not a good way to keep teenagers coming back to church. For another thing, Lennon wasn't trying to promulgate anarchy, but peace. There are many other examples from things school teachers opinionated about in class; I kept them in mind for further reflection and years later decided that some of them were completely wrong.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I definitely don't get an INFJ or ISTJ vibe from you. ISTJs don't often question authority, they generally respect it. I would go with INTP or INTJ, leaning towards J because you sound a lot like my old INTJ roommate. She challenged authority at every turn, especially if she didn't respect the people making the rules. She only followed rules that made sense to her. She also had a tendency to make pretty specific plans and then throw them out as she went a long if something more convenient came along.

paradigm

MBTI Type
INTJ
As an INTJ myself, I can tell you that I can identify with most of what you said.
As far as questioning authority goes, I respect people in positions of authority as long as they've earned it. If they enforce stupid rules I see no reason to follow those rules. An example would be at school, where we have a rule that you can't eat in the school hallways. This rule is in place because there are certain people who litter and make messes in the hallways, which doesn't impress the custodians. I am a responsible teenager and do not litter, therefore I don't see why the rule should apply to me and continue to eat in the hallways in order to avoid the crowd in the cafeteria, despite multiple reprimands. It's a stupid rule, and thus I see no reason to follow it.
But yes, I also constantly corrected my teachers (starting in kindergarten). My general rule of thumb is to respect authority and follow the rules if it makes logical sense to do so or if there will be consequences for not following them.