• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need help determining my instinctual variant; also, tritype

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=19700]Starcrash[/MENTION]

Then I misunderstood you then.

I don't think you misunderstood me, at least not from what you had to go on. I think there's a tendency for a lot of people to exaggerate their personality traits when posting in a typology forum.

Most of what I said comes from deep and extensive self-analysis and would not be very obvious or apparent to people who know and work with me. When I told my boss I was an introvert during my interview, she laughed. I've no doubt I am an introvert but its surprising how often people mistake me for an extrovert.... probably because people who don't research typology and Jung make the common mistake that shyness = introversion and confidence = extraversion

- - - Updated - - -

Another classic 6 move. Sp 6's don't trust themselves to make important decisions many times.

I'm working off of Naranjo's definition of type 6, who is one of the most respected enneagram authors out there.

Perhaps there is a link to more of those writings for those of us who didn't buy the book?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION], I don't think it's that I don't trust myself to make decisions--it's just that I don't want to be bothered with thinking about it.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm working off of Naranjo's definition of type 6, who is one of the most respected enneagram authors out there.

I'm honestly failing to recall any mention of "stoners" or the like in his e9. Self-forgetting, gluttony, comfort seeking, and even laziness, sure. I must have missed it.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
SimilarMinds offers an instinctual variant test (Enneagram Variant Test), so start with that. If you don't get a clear result, well, we've got some information on Enneagram here that you can go through.

I don't think that strangers on the net can type people in the Enneagram system very accurately, unfortunately this is something that you have to commit to spending some time on yourself.

gromit

likes this
Introverts with 7 fixes aren't unheard of at all -- I believe [MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] is one, though I could be imagining that. So if you identify most with 9w8/7w8/XwX then that seems fair to me. I'd thought you seemed more 5-ish, than 7-ish, but some of that could be you being ISTP, and IxTP being so heavily associated with 5.

As for your heart fix, I'd definitely lean towards 3, over 2 or 4. Not sure about instinctual variants.

Yep I'm 9/7/4 or maybe 9/4/7 tritype. And same for wolfy too, as I recall

And my instincts are sp/sx

Starry

My fingers were crossed behind my back this whole time 862...

...highly reactive, and also explosive when they feel they aren't getting back what they 'deserve.' ...this synergy would lead to someone controlling to the point of suffocation and high drama.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You seem kinda gentle spiritish to me but....

I'm kind of a bear. That's how my wife describes me. A big gentle bear with a mean side most people don't see.

I don't mind being called gentle either.

I don't think that strangers on the net can type people in the Enneagram system very accurately, unfortunately this is something that you have to commit to spending some time on yourself.

agreed.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I am taking that similar minds test right now.

The problem with these tests is that the questions, no matter how well-phrased, can often be very subjective..

example: "Self-care and personal comfort are far more important to me than most people."

The problem is that, while I can guess how important this is to most people, there is no way to really get inside their heads and find out. I usually wind up answering those questions in the middle i.e. "somewhat..." or "50% accurate"

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sexual ||||||||||||||| 50%
Social ||||||||||||||| 50%
Self Preservation ||||||||||||||| 46%

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I'm kind of a bear. That's how my wife describes me. A big gentle bear with a mean side most people don't see.

agreed.

In real life, I think the old saying is right, there is nothing stronger than gentleness and nothing more gentle than real strength. I like quiet strength and I like people who are confident enough in their identity to be gentle, people who have nothing to prove, if that makes sense.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
found these descriptions at personalitycafe

9w8 sp/so

They make good leaders based on their ability for grand strategy and a talent for co-operation. They excel at man-management and can handle/balance/maneuver a variety of personalities. Their minds are flexible and they improvise well under pressure without losing their strategic aims… Others may be surprised to know these 9s possess such qualities, for this stack enjoys being underestimated because it keeps others off balance.

Their modesty, amiability, and ability to express a bigger vision in simple and straightforward language is often enough to exercise charm over most people who come in contact with them, making them suitable for positions of power and responsibility that require a cool and collected disposition. Their modesty, if not the result of disassociation, often belies a true confidence in themselves and others. There’s nothing grandiose or pretentious about them….Through their line to Six, they can virtually lose themselves in preparations for contingencies and future outlines. This type needs more downtime to refresh themselves and relax.

They enjoy their leisure time as a way to keep themselves on an even keel. This style has both mental and physical discipline.... Despite the majority of them being introverts, they have a very externalized and pragmatic focus balanced off by ideals of conduct they try to abide by. They measure themselves to individuals of the past that have some subjective value to them. Their minds are factual and they know their areas of interest much deeper than they let on. They aren’t big personalities, but work their willpower without fanfare...

9w8 sp/sx

They have a stronger line to 6. They are the less trusting 9w8s and the more rugged...Puts comfort above all else and may lack a sense of fashion as a result. They have an exaggerated sense for the harmony between themselves and nature /animals, even wild animals. More transgressive of social norms than the other 9w8s. They have a natural affinity for the wilderness and also have the can-do attitude to chart a course towards a more simple lifestyle. Romance is where this 9w8's life is turned upside down from everything being manageable and rational to intense and stormy. Very low-maintenance partners.

9w8 so/sp

Often make good mentors for the lost, wayward or delinquent. Reliable individuals with good leadershipability but may wind up in supporting positions because their diversity of energy can make it harder to define themselves firmly...they have a sense of never being known in spite of their successes which they only wind up reframing as luck. May not be an intellectual in the traditional sense of the word but is the most intellectually-inclined 9w8...they often have a draw to sociology or physics and can make good problem-solvers. This can come with an absent-minded quality...Even if they aren't sociologists in the official sense, they are naturals at tuning into the voice of the faces in the crowd. They like the faces that go uncelebrated. Can justify their actions based on other people's responses and assess whether a choice is right or not by whether it gives them more sense of belonging. When it comes to group or political involvement, they'll dabble enough to feel like they belong to a larger whole while declining any hard-core involvement. Most inclined 9w8 to handle conflict diplomatically, in hopes of bringing others to a peaceful resolution.

9w8 so/sx

They have the most difficulty knowing who they are or what they value. They look for confirmation of their existence through their connections with others. They may seek out positions of leadership or influence to enhance the acknowledgement others give them. 9w8 most inclined to feel they are being taken advantage of when they find themselves doing and saying things they neither want to do nor say. When this happens, as it often does, they shift gears back down into a low energy passive pattern, trying to numb themselves out from the abuse they feel has been put upon them and their social image. When feelings of this abuse resurface, they shift gears into a more angry response and overset their boundaries.

They will even stay silent for longer periods of time in a group just to amplify how badly they want to be listened to, heard and respected when they do finally decide to say something. It's important to them, because this 9 knows all too well how easy it is for them to lose their opinion in the sea of many opinions and agendas of those around them. This 9w8 may even expect others to look to them as the leader due to some of their presence and charisma; however, being the decisive leader is not something they can sustain for too long due to the stress of perceived agendas by others, most of which the 9 blows out of proportion... No other type on the enneagram can relate to the degree with which this type thinks it doesn't exist. They could jump off a building in broad daylight and feel like nobody would notice.

9w8 sx/so

This typewingstack is sometimes diva-esque. May often escape problems by creating a fairyland of beauty and dreams, reflecting how wonderful their life "really" is. Feels the 9's sense of anonymity clashing with the sx-instincts confidence and desire to escape it. Positive self-view, sometimes boldly confident, self-reliant, and won't judge thesmelves by the standards of society. The idea of a soul mate is somebody who can understand them without any words. May develop themselves as a sex symbol, can often come to symbolize whatever qualities they wish to brand themselves with...devoted to charity causes. unlike so/sx, this stacking not only has the ability to make friends with anybody they come in contact with but to entrance people.

They have a natural instinct for what fits them best in terms of outer appearance, but neither through imitation of others nor adherence to fashion but simply an enhancement of their natural qualities. They may express an unsureness of themselves by trying to vary their appearance but they learn through trial and error on how to look natural without seeming contrived. They want their outer appearance to flow with the grain of their features. They don't want to use outer appearance as a mask to hide behind. Even though they will be receptive to newer fashions, once they find a basic style that suits them, it won’t change much in spite of current fashions.

They can play host for others or groups. They commit totally to people. They give their trust totally, and hurt totally in the violation of their trust. They will then avoid the source of their pain to let their wounds heal and try again. It’s not that they are blindly trusting of others but they realize for practicality sake that’s the best way to find out whether someone is trustworthy or not. They can certainly suffer disillusionment….

Romantic and vulnerable... Unions between themselves and others are the epic moments of their life and give them a position of power over life. They are the most inclined 9w8 to merge with aggressive or larger than life people who have a love for life and strength the 9 can admire. Most confessional in relationships and look for people with common emotional experience. They like to break through the others’ inner conflicts. Will put their feelings before morals when it comes to relationships and can fall into libertine patterns. Views sex as private and special. Gives the act an air of mystery and exalts, as opposed to degrade or cheapen, the role that sex plays throughout their life. Doesn’t link vulgarity with attraction. Beauty and mystery go hand in hand with sexuality...and they feel that exposure is less attractive than the right piece of clothing.

Attracted to openness and strength. Ambitious and use their merging ability to meet the right people to advance themselves but will draw a line about how far they will go. Sometimes reframe the result of their own hyper-merging abilities with others as strong premonitions or eerie abilities of perception.

9w8 sx/sp

This 9 stack receives life without hesitation. They exert very little control over their emotional lives and prefer to give themselves total freedom to experience real responses and feelings. They can have an electricity about them that is both simple and regal, being able to unconsciously convey who they are without saying much.

They don't try to walk or move in an artificial way. They often have a great sense of humour and will push themselves to enjoy the same things as their significant others. Playfulness is especially high with this stack. But they are more rigid about who they give their energy to and are drawn to people who have similar experiences as them. This type can relate to common experience at a nonverbal level, giving them room to create a sense of harmony with others even with those who speak different languages.

They also have a savvy business sense. And in spite of their liberal attitudes, they can have an old-fashioned approach to raising family and will give more than themselves to those they care about, often finding it very difficult to break away...Can feel oppressed, as they don't often get to do what they want for long periods of time. Sense of being reincarnated in life all the time, redefining themselves out of necessity.

This type views their realness as having a large potential to reach people who are going through the same problems. Just knowing that gives them more room to be a little 'crazy.' Because they know that they truly aren't alone in their 'craziness.' Fear of pretending in relatonships, just going through the motions. Loses a sense of identity by giving so much of their openness and love to family or lover. It causes them to be overly sensitive to rejection, so constantly looking to do the perfect thing, which can inevitably lead to a break down. The loss of a relationship can devastate them. They may break down into a zombie-like state for years upon end and ultimately do the inevitable unless they can find something to keep them sane.

I find myself identifying more with the so/sx and sx/so stackings, which just happens to correlate with my result from that similarminds test.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In real life, I think the old saying is right, there is nothing stronger than gentleness and nothing more gentle than real strength. I like quiet strength and I like people who are confident enough in their identity to be gentle, people who have nothing to prove, if that makes sense.

It makes a lot of sense.

I've noticed that people who go through great effort to "puff out their chests" and make a big show of how strong they are can often be revealed to be far more insecure than they let on.

Likewise, the quiet, unassuming person in the corner might turn out to be quite confident and strong-willed, contrary to a meek outward appearance. I wonder how many type 9s in high school are pegged as easy marks by bullies, only to wind up having the bully backed up in a corner sweating. This was the case with me on several occasions.

Starry

I think that's awesome Starcrash. I love that description from your wife and think gentle is a great compliment.

The tritype 479 is called the Gentle Spirit.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that's awesome Starcrash. I love that description from your wife and think gentle is a great compliment.

The tritype 479 is called the Gentle Spirit.

Interesting. What about 973?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
aHe78ot.png