• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

20 year old female - am I an INTP?

multivites

MBTI Type
INTP
Hey guys, I'm pretty much at my wits end on what my type is and I would love some help.

I was introduced to MBTI in high school, where I took the humanmetrics test for fun and got INTJ. I read the profile and it kind of sounded like me, but didn't really look into it further. 2-3 years later I took an actual test administered by a career counsellor and got INTJ again (T/F and J/P were VERY close though. I think I was only 1% more J). I was more interested in MBTI this time for some reason so I did a bunch of research on the different types/profiles as well as the cognitive functions, because INTJ didn't feel right for me. I looked mostly into INFJ, INFP, and INTP, and came to the conclusion that INTP suited me the most, but there are still aspects of the type that don't resonate with me at all.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
Basically the stereotype that INTPs are "ingenious problem solvers". Every profile I've come across has stressed the idea that INTPs are these creative geniuses that seek truth and use logic to analyze the world around them. While that is somewhat true (in a horoscope-y kind of way), I don't feel like I'm THAT good of a problem-solver when hard logic is involved (e.g. I'm horrible at physics and those logic mind puzzles). I don't constantly read wikipedia articles and I'm not constantly asking 'why' and trying to figure everything out.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I want to be happy with myself. I yearn for respect, which I think can only be achieved when you stop giving a fuck about what others think. I yearn for deep and harmonious relationships. Career wise, I believe in work to live, not live to work. I want a lot of intellectual freedom and free time for other aspects of my life, but I still want to feel like I've achieved something meaningful at the end of the day.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I feel at my finest when I work really hard for something and it pays off. Also, when I feel like I've made a meaningful contribution to something (e.g. somebody's life, a group discussion, a project etc.)

4) What makes you feel inferior?
I feel inferior when people don't trust my opinion or knowledge on something. Whenever that happens I feel like I must be doing something wrong to have lost/not have earned somebody's respect. I'm the youngest in my family so I always have been treated as the "baby", and I do not enjoy it when I'm treated that way among my peers. I also feel inferior when I don't get enough attention (which happens a lot in social settings). I feel like a boring person (one of my worst fears) and like there's something wrong/unlikable about me.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I'm extremely indecisive. I overthink everything, every possibility of what can happen, and am constantly afraid of regretting a decision. I don't like physically writing out pros/cons lists but I feel like that's what I'm doing in my head. I usually prefer/go with the option that leaves the most options open/is the easiest to change. People do play a role in my decision-making, but they are just another part of my bigger pros/cons list, if that makes sense. This is hard because I feel like I make some decisions based on how I feel (e.g. buying a less practical jacket over a more practical one, just because I like it more), and then some decisions based on what is logically the best thing to do.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
When working with people, I'm usually one of those people in the background that just does what they have to do, but does it well. I get really annoyed when people don't do the same (either too bossy/overbearing, or don't take their role seriously/slack off). I don't like leading people or telling them what to do, and I don't like being told what to do. I do like having some control of the outcome but it's not super important to me, I usually trust my partners to enough to let the outcome come naturally. At the end of the day I just want to feel like I have made an important contribution.
Individually, I love starting projects but have a difficult time following through. I usually get really excited about a new project, have all these visions/ideas of what it could become, set everything up for success, and then just lose interest.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Pretty much any time with my best friends or SO. First thing I think of is just lying in bed with them and laughing/talking for hours.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I'm not too shabby at learning theoretical concepts but I feel like for something to really stick, I need personal experience with it (e.g. coming across a concept during a practice problem). I'm okay at memorization but really hate doing it (details are what really gets me on tests).

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?
Pretty bad. I am constantly late to everything and my room/desk is usually a disaster. I am extremely forgetful. I do like using calendars/lists to organize myself.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Not fully sure how to answer this one and this is one of the things that I don't resonate with in the INTP profile. Upon exposure to a new idea I don't actively feel like I try to make sure it fits in with any internal logical framework. I guess I'm aware of consistency and I do tend to be skeptical about things. I don't know.

11) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions? Definitely thinking before speaking. I often find myself developing an idea and rehearsing exactly what I'm going to say in my head and then missing the opportunity to actually say it. I prefer one-on-one, or very small group discussions.

12) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I like knowing where I'm jumping. I'm not comfortable going into situations/making decisions blind and not fully informed.
In general, I do think actions speak louder than words. It's easy to "talk the talk" but it takes a lot more to follow through and actually SHOW you mean what you say. Although sometimes words are necessary to get the point across more clearly and efficiently.

13) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
This is an introvert's nightmare... it really depends on how I'm feeling. If I REALLY don't want to go out that night, I would probably make up some excuse not to go (or just say I'm not feeling like it). Although most of the time, I would reluctantly go (and probably end up having fun).

14) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I tend to wallow in self pity and blow everything out of proportion. Sleep a lot, avoid thinking about the thing that's causing the stress (but when I do think about it, I overthink). I find that talking to people I trust (family, boyfriend) really help, though it takes a while for me to do it.

15) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I dislike loud, "in your face" type people who don't really seem to care about you. You can be extroverted/outgoing without being obnoxious as hell.
I dislike closed-minded people and people unwilling to change an opinion even if it doesn't make sense.
I dislike high-strung people, it stresses me out.
I don't necessarily dislike but I'm really bored by people who are super into social norms. I love slightly quirky/eccentric people.

16) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I have pretty weird/specific interests (things that have a "cult"-like following) so I get pretty excited when I meet someone with similar interests and I like talking about that stuff. I love talking about really dumb stuff like hypothetical situations or pseudo-philosophical musings with my INFP boyfriend. If you ask him, I'm always making random observations, trying to analyze people, and asking him silly questions. I hate talking about school.

17) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?
The little details, like sending necessary emails, making necessary phone calls. Cleaning, organizing, putting things away. I feel like I need to pay more attention to my eating habits and taking care of myself.

18) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception?
I get quiet, nice, antisocial a lot. Intelligent but not very "smart" sometimes. Good sense of humor. Calm/relaxed, lazy. Hard to get to know. I agree with all of it, except I don't know WHY I'm hard to get to know. I view myself as pretty personable, I just always feel like at some point I hit a wall in terms of "deepness" of my relationships. Even with friends I've known since grade school I feel like that emotional connection is missing.

What would your friends never say about your personality?
Outgoing, emotional, easily excited. Sports/physical activity junkie. Responsible, bossy, loves to "get things done".

19) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Stay home, sleep in, watch netflix, play games. Maybe do some art, or reading. A nice dinner out with the boyfriend also sounds nice.

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
You know for certain your boyfriend is INFP?

INFJ? Not sure why, but I don't like your self typing of INTP.

multivites

MBTI Type
INTP
You know for certain your boyfriend is INFP?

INFJ? Not sure why, but I don't like your self typing of INTP.

Yeah, he's the definition of INFP.

What makes you think INFJ? I did consider INFJ but in the end I didn't relate to having Ni/Fe as my top two functions. I don't think I have a psychic sense of things and I definitely can't read people well. I never know what to do or say to others. I also know a INFJ and although I really admire her I wouldn't say we think the same way at all.

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Hrm. Well, Hrrm. You are the one that sounds like an INFP to me. :(

Thus confusion. But I think everyone is an INFP, so that doesn't really matter.

The way I see it, 90% of everyone who posts on these forums regularly is INFP.

It could be because we share the same enneagram. Oh how that would confuse ourselves.

But yeah onto actually typing you. I've come to the conclusion that because I speak through logic sometimes, I am INFP, because speaking through logic is Te. Another type that does this is ENFP. This would also explain why INTJ, they use Te as well. Do you speak through logic ever? Not to be confused with Ne, which is my insanity function. :hexer: And don't ask me how Ti would work. I have no idea.