• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are the functions responsible for these thoughts/behaviours? (pls help)

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm stuck in the not-being-sure-about-my-type-anymore loop. Again.
Not that I've ever been so sure anyway.
Do you think I'm an ISTJ?

1. As a kid I grew up in a catholic environment (catholic parents, catholic friends, catholic teachers, catholic classmates, catholic school, catholic everything) and thought that there was one God, that baby Jesus brought you Christmas presents and that good people went to heaven when they died, and I didn't question it because in my short existence I'd never met anyone who thought differently, and my mind didn't even entertain the idea that it was possible to think differently. That's what everyone told me, just like they told me that the grass is green and that people in Australia don't fall off the planet because of gravity. It was obvious, it made sense.

2. I can't stand bad smells, don't like non HD images (especially when used as desktop backgrounds), and I'd rather not watch a movie than watch it in 360p.

3. I'm adaptable, but I don't actively seek change (I'd be happy if someone changed things for me, but I'm too lazy to do it myself). I noticed that on the bus I always sit in the same seat without thinking about it. When I do unimportant things, I'm on autopilot. My brain works like the cache of a web browser: when I got on a bus for the first time, I memorized the act of walking towards x seat and sitting on it, so now every time I get on a bus I automatically sit on that x seat, like a browser loads a cached page without downloading it again from the server (my conscious mind). If I wanted to change from x to z, I'd have to think "now I'll change from x to z", but sticking with x feels more natural.

4. Sometimes I wish I could stand up for people who are being humiliated for no reason, or people I sympathize with, but I never do. Sometimes I can't even stand up for myself.

5. I remember things from my past but it's like they didn't really happen to me, like a dream. My memories feel strange.

6. In kindergarten at midday everyone would go to this big room and play, but usually I stayed with the teachers on the teachers' bench with my hands on my ears. I was overwhelmed by all the noise and the screaming and children running around so fast (they were friggin' barbarians). UGH. Then for the rest of the day I would play alone (mostly) and always obey the teacher, and judge negatively those who didn't (my god I was a little nazi). Si-Te? I'm very different now, or at least I think I am, but some people who claim to be experts say it's impossible to go from one type to another (especially if it means changing all the functions). I don't know if I believe them though. Probably not.

7. When I was five I hated the fact that I could see the veins in my wrist, and since my mother had pale skin too, I thought it was her fault because I had inherited it from her. So, I decided that I would become the queen of the universe and forbid people with this kind of "flaw" to ever have children. Ehm, I was kinda close-minded.

I'm confused.
I identify with Ti, but what if I use Te?
What if Si>Se?
What if- NO PLEASE STAHP

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Omg but what if someone is sitting in your seat?! Haha, Idk that sounds pretty Si I think. I tend to sit in the same spot roughly but I try to mix things up too. I would say my memories are somewhat dreamlike too but isnt that just what memories are like? Idk. The thing about describing the kids as barbarians sounds like Si criticising Se. Idk though.

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Omg but what if someone is sitting in your seat?!

They shall be executed.

But what if I was like that because I grew up in a perfectionistic, rigid, organized, work first play later or better don't play at all, overprotective and close-minded environment? What if deep down I'm a repressed ENFP? What if I don't really know myself and never will because my true personality is hidden somewhere in my subconscious and is never going to come out? What if I don't have a personality, what if I'm not human?

Why can't I be Ti-Si?

ARGH.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
They shall be executed.

But what if I was like that because I grew up in a perfectionistic, rigid, organized, work first play later or better don't play at all, overprotective and close-minded environment? What if deep down I'm a repressed ENFP? What if I don't really know myself and never will because my true personality is hidden somewhere in my subconscious and is never going to come out? What if I don't have a personality, what if I'm not human?

Why can't I be Ti-Si?

ARGH.

I don't think your personality changes -that- much due to environment. Not to the degree that you would have the opposite traits or anything. You might just have habits which are odd for your type. Like, I know an ENTP who grew up in an organised household, and he's still clearly ENTP, he just happens to be quite neat and hygienic among other things.

As for Si-Ti - I have heard people say that this is the proper function stack for ISTx, i.e. that both of the top two functions are introverted in an introvert. Though, I don't agree with this. Also, if you look at how functions are in socionics, if Si is your leading function, Ti will be the strongest function of the subconscious. Basically if you are strong in Si and Te, you will also be strong in Ti and Se, it's just that each pair of functions will enter into the psyche in a different way (and I think cognitive function test results usually show high scores which agree with this).

I don't know what that example says about your thought processes. It seems reasonable and efficient.

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think your personality changes -that- much due to environment. Not to the degree that you would have the opposite traits or anything. You might just have habits which are odd for your type. Like, I know an ENTP who grew up in an organised household, and he's still clearly ENTP, he just happens to be quite neat and hygienic among other things.

As for Si-Ti - I have heard people say that this is the proper function stack for ISTx, i.e. that both of the top two functions are introverted in an introvert. Though, I don't agree with this. Also, if you look at how functions are in socionics, if Si is your leading function, Ti will be the strongest function of the subconscious. Basically if you are strong in Si and Te, you will also be strong in Ti and Se, it's just that each pair of functions will enter into the psyche in a different way (and I think cognitive function test results usually show high scores which agree with this).

I don't know what that example says about your thought processes. It seems reasonable and efficient.

I'm neither neat nor hygienic. Maybe I used to be, but I think my outlook on life has changed from "everything must be perfect" to "whatever, YOLO". I don't know, maybe I was trapped in that mindset and then I finally got out, or maybe that is still my mindset but I don't like it and I'm trying to rebel against it.
As for Si-Ti, I've heard that was schizotypal personality disorder :thinking:

Ok, random things:

Once my brother and I wanted to buy some new videogames, but he said we had to ask for permission first (we were taught to always ask). Our parents would have said "NO!", because that was the default answer to our requests, so I told him: "look, if you want something from this store and you know that you'll feel guilty if you don't do what mom says, then just don't ask for her permission, buy what you want to buy and hide it among the other videogames in your room. She won't notice."

I was playing soccer with my brother and a friend when some older guys "invaded" the field and we had no space left. Bro and friend were like "we gotta tell them to go away", and I said "no, they're bigger than us, let's go somewhere else". I guess they hated me then but in my head it made perfect sense.

I only follow rules that make sense and don't prevent me from doing things I want to do.

When I was younger I would always correct people, like
Person: look, a thing!
Me: no, it's a *insert technical term here*

I hate being forced to do stuff.

I have zero respect for traditions or social conventions that don't make sense to me (funerals, celebrating birthdays, Christmas presents, no elbows on the table, having to eat not when hungry but at established times...)

velveteen

Senior citizen
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those are quirks and neuroses.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I read this in Gifts Differing: "System in doing things. It is natural for a judging type to decide what is the best way of doing a thing and then consistently do it that way. The thinking process tries for the most logical method; the feeling process for the most pleasing, suitable, or proper method."

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those are quirks and neuroses.

Maybe you're right, but overanalyzing things until everything I know becomes blurry and then disappears is what I do best :BangHead:

I read this in Gifts Differing: "System in doing things. It is natural for a judging type to decide what is the best way of doing a thing and then consistently do it that way. The thinking process tries for the most logical method; the feeling process for the most pleasing, suitable, or proper method."

Why would I look for another way when I already know the best one (which means I wouldn't find a better one anyway)?

I imagine ISTJs as focused, organized, hardworking, somewhat traditionalist people who take life very seriously and know what they want (and probably also how to get it). I know these are all just stupid stereotypes but there might be a core of truth in them...
Is it possible that I somehow developed an atypical personality and became the opposite of what I'm "supposed" to be?
And it's weird that I can still relate to Ti but apparently use Si.
Also, decision making is a great weakness of mine. Once I had to buy a new mobile phone and I wanted to get a good one, but my budget was very limited. I kept looking for a good offer until, three months later, I found a Mediacom on sale that seemed nice, so as soon as I got home I started looking for reviews and stuff and then asked myself "is it really the best one out there?", and when a week later I decided that it probably was (and even if it wasn't, it was ok) the offer had ended. Then my mother found a Nokia on Amazon, showed it to me and I was like, "yeah, whatever, let's buy it." I guess the first part about trying to find a mobile with the specs I wanted and a decent price/quality ratio could be a J trait, but my not being able to make up my mind about whether I wanted to buy that phone or not might be P... maybe.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I imagine ISTJs as focused, organized, hardworking, somewhat traditionalist people who take life very seriously and know what they want (and probably also how to get it). I know these are all just stupid stereotypes but there might be a core of truth in them...
Is it possible that I somehow developed an atypical personality and became the opposite of what I'm "supposed" to be?
And it's weird that I can still relate to Ti but apparently use Si.
Also, decision making is a great weakness of mine. Once I had to buy a new mobile phone and I wanted to get a good one, but my budget was very limited. I kept looking for a good offer until, three months later, I found a Mediacom on sale that seemed nice, so as soon as I got home I started looking for reviews and stuff and then asked myself "is it really the best one out there?", and when a week later I decided that it probably was (and even if it wasn't, it was ok) the offer had ended. Then my mother found a Nokia on Amazon, showed it to me and I was like, "yeah, whatever, let's buy it." I guess the first part about trying to find a mobile with the specs I wanted and a decent price/quality ratio could be a J trait, but my not being able to make up my mind about whether I wanted to buy that phone or not might be P... maybe.

I'm somewhat focused (someone described me as "the opposite of ADHD"), somewhat organised, not very hardworking, idk how I would be seen as traditionalist, I only take life too seriously in the sense of brooding over the past at times, I laugh all the time even when I probably shouldn't. I don't know what I want or how to get the things I do think I want.

I am insanely indecisive.

I related strongly to Ti when I first heard about MBTI. I'm not sure if I can any more. I never related to Se though, except when I was trying to force it to fit.

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Or INTP, or INFP. A lot of what you said sounds like what I would say, which is Ne. BUT, a lot of what you said doesn't. I don't know.

There is actually a game about autism, and it is exactly this.

"I was overwhelmed by all the noise and the screaming and children running around so fast (they were friggin' barbarians). UGH."

That is sensory overload. Sensory overload - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm confused.
I identify with Ti, but what if I use Te?
What if Si>Se?
What if- NO PLEASE STAHP

Ne. Asking what if questions is an Ne thing.

I relate to what a lot of you said. It could be because ISTJ and INFP share the same functions in a similar order, but I don't know. You seem to have multiple psychoses, and I don't know.

When I was little, I did the exact same thing in kindergarten. I was like "Why is everybody talking? That is against the rules!".

Formed my personality mostly since, or was a result of my forming personality.

Fi is an impossible thing to describe. So that is my description. You interpret data based on your feelings?

Ti and Fi are often confused because they are so similar. Both are the same type of function, the interpreting function.

An Fi user who does not mask this would break into some kind of random dance, while a Ti user would analyze our insanity, while a Te user would be like "STAHP!"

Am I right? I really don't know.

An Fe user would do whatever seems most socially acceptable.

Problem is, most Fi users mask their Fi in Ne. It is because logic is so much more valued in this world. Fi + Ne looks like Ti + Ne. Also, your description of Si reminds me of myself.

I really don't know whether ISTJ or INFP. You question a TON. Ne is strong with thee. My next question is whether you focus upon tangible things, or fantasy land type stuff.

In conclusion, I don't know, but probably not Ti. Ti and Fi cannot be seen with the naked eye except with the combination of Ne or Fe or Te. You don't have Se.

Oh and you lack Fe so you are a Te/Fi user.

Conclusion is that you are INFP/ISTJ, and I don't know anymore than that.

Questions to answer: Do you tend to think more about fantasy or about more tangible things? Do you have indescribable feelings about things?

Hope the Wikipedia article on sensory overload helped though.

And I grew up in a similar environment, less the sensory overload, so I can relate.

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Questions to answer: Do you tend to think more about fantasy or about more tangible things? Do you have indescribable feelings about things?

I don't know. When I don't like what I have to deal with I withdraw and retreat into my head, where everything is nice, and I hope that whatever is scaring me goes away. I asked my mum and a close friend what they thought, one said I'm always on another planet and should face reality instead of ignoring it, the other that I'm more practical and concrete. I can be practical when there's a tangible problem that needs to be solved (fix something, build or assemble an IKEA table... I like working with my hands), but I avoid dealing with problems like school, my social anxiety, the fact that I'll never find a job (so I daydream about not having to worry about these things instead of trying to do something)... I wish I could find a practical solution to those too, I wish I could open my skull and rewire my brain or something. The reason why I though I used Ti is that I'm often wondering about how things work: when I see an interesting mechanism internally my reaction is ":O", I get excited when something makes perfect sense and all the pieces of the metaphorical jigsaw puzzle are in the right place, and when I grab something with my hand and I see the tendons in my arm moving I'm like "whoa, give me a screwdriver I want to know exactly what's happening inside... oh. No screws". I'd much rather learn about anatomy by dissecting a corpse than by studying on a book. I guess I'm more hands-on than imaginative.

Fi... maybe. I couldn't relate at all to the thing about actions that must be in sync with moral beliefs, because I don't really have an internal belief system, but if Fi is more than what's written in the descriptions and is impossible to explain, than I've probably never understood what it is.
Sometimes (not very often) when I see something bad happening I think "this is wrong", but then I start thinking "why is it wrong? What is 'wrong'? Wrong doesn't exist", and if something feels wrong, it doesn't always mean that I won't do it.
Often I laugh when tragedies happen because I see a funny aspect in them and people think I'm insensitive, but, I mean, people die all the time. Deal with it. Sometimes I have thoughts like "would I feel guilty if I killed someone? I should try." or, "to prove this theory we could do this: *experiment that involves keeping infants in a cage*", and I would deal drugs or become an assassin if it meant making a living out of it.
My dream life is on a deserted island where winters are cold and snowy and summers are hot and where I can lie on a white beach all day with my laptop without worrying about anything and without being involved in the shit other people do to complicate their and others' lives (war, economy, politics or any other form of entertainment they use these days). It's kinda selfish, I guess, but what other people do is none of my business and I want no part in it, so if I use Fi am I suppressing it by not caring?
When I was ten the first line of one of my writing assignments was: First of all, I wish my life was easier, for example I would like to go to school only two days a week. My life wasn't hard, it was busy. I had to do everything my mother wanted me to do (mostly things that I hated) and I almost had no time to just lie in my bed and waste time doing absolutely nothing, which is my favourite 'activity'. Well it's literally the opposite of an activity, but you know what I mean.

^see how I write? I don't know how to make connections between different things. This has always been a problem. Is writing style relevant in the typing process?

Also, when someone tells me there's a problem, I try to find a solution by asking many yes or no questions rather than allowing the person to explain. Te?

Hope the Wikipedia article on sensory overload helped though.

Yes, a lot. Thank you. I don't like self-diagnosing stuff but I almost certainly have this.

I'm sorry for the length of this post :/

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^You sound like you might have some antisocial personality characteristics.

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Hrrm. Have you ever thought about Si?

From site here: Introverted Sensing (Si)
I don't like this site, but it is a shortish description, and that is what we need. No three page essay.
Introverted Sensing often involves storing data and information, then comparing and contrasting the current situation with similar ones.

The immediate experience or words are instantly linked with the prior experiences, and we register a similarity or a difference—for example, noticing that some food doesn't taste the same or is saltier than it usually is.

Introverted Sensing is also operating when we see someone who reminds us of someone else.

Sometimes a feeling associated with the recalled image comes into our awareness along with the information itself. Then the image can be so strong, our body responds as if reliving the experience. The process also involves reviewing the past to draw on the lessons of history, hindsight, and experience.

With introverted Sensing, there is often great attention to detail and getting a clear picture of goals and objectives and what is to happen. There can be a oneness with ageless customs that help sustain civilization and culture and protect what is known and long-lasting, even while what is reliable changes.

But yeah, I can relate to not having a belief system. Writing style is half evident of type. Mostly not. If yes, than likely ISFJ. If no, then I lose!

But I can say you are NOT ISTP because of the presence of Ne, something they don't have, unless you are weird/a mutant/whatever. I'm assuming you are not a mutant.

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do have some antisocial tendencies but I try to hide them. I'd say I'm not dangerous.

I don't like this site

Ew, neither do I (yellow on a purple background? srsly? (just kidding))

The immediate experience or words are instantly linked with the prior experiences, and we register a similarity or a difference—for example, noticing that some food doesn't taste the same or is saltier than it usually is.

Nah. My mother is always getting angry at me because I never notice the difference between, say, yesterday's meat sauce and today's meat sauce, or because I can't answer questions like "is this too salty?". I'm not saying that for me all food tastes the same, but sometimes I ju

Introverted Sensing is also operating when we see someone who reminds us of someone else.

Happens with objects or buildings more than with people.

Sometimes a feeling associated with the recalled image comes into our awareness along with the information itself. Then the image can be so strong, our body responds as if reliving the experience. The process also involves reviewing the past to draw on the lessons of history, hindsight, and experience.

No. This is the first thing that led me to question whether I used Si or not: I never feel, I just recall the information. If I there's a building that looks like one from my past, I'll just think "oh, that building looks like one from my past". Maybe I'll smile, most likely not, but I'm not very nostalgic.

With introverted Sensing, there is often great attention to detail and getting a clear picture of goals and objectives and what is to happen. There can be a oneness with ageless customs that help sustain civilization and culture and protect what is known and long-lasting, even while what is reliable changes.

If society is changing, then those 'ageless' customs should be left in the past. Why preserve them if they're no longer useful?

But I can say you are NOT ISTP because of the presence of Ne, something they don't have, unless you are weird/a mutant/whatever. I'm assuming you are not a mutant.

I'm no mutant and I don't have dissociative identity disorder, but the first time I posted in this subforum everyone agreed on ISTP (and from what I had written in that post it made sense). I don't think my personality has changed so there's probably something wrong with my perception of myself.

(I doubt I'm ISFJ. The only thing in me that slightly resembles Fe is when I feel like I have to dress in a certain way or watch a certain movie just because everyone dresses like that and everyone has seen that movie, because I'm expected to. Yet, I never put much effort in choosing what clothes to wear and I've never seen Star Wars)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hiding them is not really a good idea, though, because usually issues that deep and serious become larger when repressed, and cause problems in so many facets of a life. And even though it is tempting on a site like this to explain those types of feelings with cognitive functions, it isn't accurate.

Not picking on you, and I hope you don't take what I am saying with offense, just giving you my opinion since you posted. :hugs:

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Well. I believe that leaves ISJ out. As such, INFP or INTP. So in the end, I shall finish by asking YOU. What do you think you are? You can be I or E, N or S, T or F, and finally P or J. Disregard anything anyone else has said. I'm pretty sure you know. All I do is make sure your definition of N, or E or F matches up with mine.

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hiding them is not really a good idea, though, because usually issues that deep and serious become larger when repressed, and cause problems in so many facets of a life. And even though it is tempting on a site like this to explain those types of feelings with cognitive functions, it isn't accurate.

Not picking on you, and I hope you don't take what I am saying with offense, just giving you my opinion since you posted. :hugs:

I know, and I'm starting to notice now. It's probably related to a passive anger issue I have yet to solve, so hopefully when I do this will go away as well... and 8 functions can't describe every aspect of something so complex and multifaceted as human personality, but you're right, it is tempting...

Well. I believe that leaves ISJ out. As such, INFP or INTP. So in the end, I shall finish by asking YOU. What do you think you are? You can be I or E, N or S, T or F, and finally P or J. Disregard anything anyone else has said. I'm pretty sure you know. All I do is make sure your definition of N, or E or F matches up with mine.

I think IxxP. I'm forgetful, I don't make plans and even when I do (very rarely) I don't stick to them, I'm not what you'd call a dependable hardworker, the only reason why I do what I'm told is that I don't want to get in trouble, in fact if I find a way to cheat without getting caught you can bet I'll do it. I don't like structure and I see it as a limitation of my freedom, I go with the flow, I work in bursts of energy, I'm always late for everything, I need a lot of time and information to make a decision (otherwise I'll choose impulsively), I'm adaptable, I don't go out with my ID because I'd probably lose it, *other stereotypical P traits*... and I'm definitely an introvert.

Most likely S rather than N because I'm more hands-on than imaginative and I like to see results, but that would mean Se, which we excluded.
At first I did think I was INTP (Ne-Si), but it was only because I looked like a stereotypical INxP (staying in my bedroom all day, spending way too much time on my laptop, not doing anything, reading about random interesting stuff on Wikipedia...), so I don't know.

Si:

Se:

T vs F is blurry. I used to think I was a clear T but, truth is, I don't know.
- I'm not very empathetic, I can try to comfort my friends because I care about them and because that's what I'm expected to do, but I won't feel what they're feeling and I probably won't fully understand.
- When I feel, I can usually detach from what I'm feeling and analyze it, but when it's too much I want my rational part to just leave me alone and let me drown in my negative thoughts.
- I value logical decisions more than ethical ones. If I'm arguing with someone who wants to make an ethical decision, I'll feel like I'm making much more more sense than them.
- I wish I had more power over my feelings, I wish I could control them, not only suppress them.

(I'm sorry I bumped this thread)

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I don't think you're ISTJ. Your writing style doesn't seem like mine, and various things you've said I can't relate to. Not sure what your type would be though.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Intuitive.

No S cares that much to talk about these things.