• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's my Enneagram?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Originally I had absolutely no doubts about being a 2w1, but now I am not so sure... I typically type 2w1, but I have gotten 1w2 before. I'm also not sure about my tritype. I've been bouncing between 261 and 268. So, per recommendation of @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/4945.html" target="_blank">EJCC</a> here is a video. It's about 10 minutes long, and I used questions from this thread.

Thanks in advance!

Password: enneagram

Last edited:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I kinda think you're a 2w1? Was tough to tell because I relate to SO MUCH of your vid. Similar interests, similar phrasing/thought processes. But what I'm thinking is, if you're persistently frustrated to the point that someone thought you were an anger type, maybe you're just very in touch with your 8. I've known a lot of 2s to be very aggressive about things that are done wrong. On the other hand, I've known xxFJ 1s who vented a lot. So... :shrug:

Would be interesting to hear [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]'s feedback, since he's an ExFJ 1 and since I have a hard time separating 1 from Te.

Edit: I think I'd go for 261 over 268, if you're a 2.

á´…eparted

passages
Couple of observations.

Despite you having a California accent, you and I have very similar speech patterns! Mines a little more dramatic, but there's a lot in common. You're clearly an Fe dom. No question there. I actually found myself finishing a few of your sentences verbetum a few times, and laughed at the same moments.

This is actually kind of tough. A good friend of mine from high school is an ENFJ 2w3 and I was using her as sort of a benchmark for seeing where you lie because she is a BLATANT 2 (in the same manner in which I am a blatant 1). It's hard to articulate, but I don't get the "manipulative" undercurrent that 2's often give off from you. I actually usually react to it poorly because it makes my behavior shift in a way that strains me (the manipulativeness doesn't bother me at all) and I run out of steam faster. But, it's also a quality that I have to be around in person to sniff out. That said, you do seem to share a lot of the 2 qualities of being social, wanting to interact and have fun with others, and I get the sense that you do a lot of catering to make sure others are getting their social outfits and needs me right. I also don't get the sense that you're a 3 wing at all. You don't have an image/status focus and your presentation is more focused and honest. 2w3 don't speak in absolutes very much in the way you do.

That's where you and I differ (and a primary reason I don't think you're a 1). I am social as well, I love being around people, and I want people in groups to socialize "right" (as you seek as well). I get all kinds of bent out of shape if a social atmosphere or conditions are wrong. However, I stop there. I simply want the conditions to be right. Whether or not people get their needs or social outfits met is inconsequential to me and I don't fret over it (I only do if it effects the atmosphere). I see it as a failure on their end to not adjust themselves to make it work, and it isn't fault I should care for. In essence, 1's want the system to work and let the people work it out. 2's want ALL of it to work out and will mettle with it more. It might not seem like it, but 2's are very "corrective" seeking and want things right as well. However their focus is only in certain areas. 1's corrective streaks are everywhere.

While I do see 1 elements in you, I don't see it as a primary type. You certainly have the driving forcefulness and solid ground/certainty, but that's you're Fe. Contrary to popular belief, Fe is not a fluffy ball of fuzz that everyone seems to think it is. It can be, but it's not the default. When it's in a good mood, happy, satisfied, or even neutral, it's a joy. That said, it can be viciously critical, harsh, and forceful. I'd say more so than any function. Partly because unlike Te where it will simply drive as it does (which get's the "nasty" reputation), Fe will go a step further and insure that it's felt in a certain way, and thus can have a far stronger impact. For the Fe dom, they aren't even aware they do this 1/2 the time. The key element that I see you lacking that 1's possess is restraint. Granted, of course you have restraint, but I don't see that underlying tension and persistent sense of self-containment that 1's have. You're much more comfortable with being yourself with others and speaking your mind. Your Fe will temper it as needed cause that's what it does, but I don't see you as having a constant cross-check. It's difficult to fully articulate this, but it's a quality I have seen nearly all 1's have. I have it, and I saw it in @EJCC's video as well. While I am very open, am well known by everyone in my life that I am always sharing my opinion and thoughts on things in a "dramatic/extreme" way (I often get made fun of for it), I have this persistent sense and quality of holding back. You're pushyness has an 8 feel to it, which makes sense for 2's. Not a 1. I also don't get the least bit sense of melancholy that 1's have from their link to 4.

So my verdict is: 2w1

It's also good to "see" you finally :D.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Agree on all counts!

[MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] another thing worth mentioning is that IME, when a 1 has a 6 trifix, they give off a more nervous vibe, or at least aren't as good at maintaining the veneer of calm. So the perpetual worry will come through on occasion via mannerism and tone of voice. [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] comes across like this, as does my mother (INFJ 162). But I didn't see much of that in you at all.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] Good observation, nervous energy in a 1 usually points to Sp first instinctual stack-ing, some descriptions even say they are more nervous outwardly then 6's themselves. After reading this and observing it in a close friend of mine, I almost believe (for a 1) Sp and a 6 fix go hand-in-hand usually-- discerning between the two seems almost impossible. The aforementioned friend actually mistyped as a 6 for over a year before I showed her the SP first 1 description, which she gained a lot of clarity from.

As to [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] and the OP: I don't know. I agree with [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] that you seem more 2 than 1, but I truthfully think you seem much more like a 6w7. I know heck of a lot of 2's, and you did not come across the way they do. Even the 2w1's I know have some pretty obvious pride issues, the need to see themselves as a good. You seem more laid-back than that, goofier, more comfortable with yourself. You commented on security, and community dynamics several times, and also your appreciation of authenticity and trustworthyness. Even your mention of your younger self sounds 6w7 (though perhaps less healthy). I guess The question is do you value your social life for the potential to be loved by others? Or do you value it for the sense of belonging and security? Even your image of playing games together with your friends seems more 6w7 than 2w1 to me-- you are participating, not serving. Correct?

There's more, but before I launch into it, have you considered 6w7 before?

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You seem more laid-back than that, goofier, more comfortable with yourself.

It definitely comes with being Californian. :D *hi fives Bready*

(I'll actually watch the video and comment on it later)

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Couple of observations.

Despite you having a California accent, you and I have very similar speech patterns! Mines a little more dramatic, but there's a lot in common. You're clearly an Fe dom. No question there. I actually found myself finishing a few of your sentences verbetum a few times, and laughed at the same moments.

That's so interesting that you and [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] both said that! As I was watching my video I was thinking "I talk like a weirdo... I don't know anyone else who sounds like this!" :laugh:

I do see 1 elements in you, I don't see it as a primary type. You certainly have the driving forcefulness and solid ground/certainty, but that's you're Fe. Contrary to popular belief, Fe is not a fluffy ball of fuzz that everyone seems to think it is. It can be, but it's not the default. When it's in a good mood, happy, satisfied, or even neutral, it's a joy. That said, it can be viciously critical, harsh, and forceful. I'd say more so than any function.

I think this is what my INFP roommate is seeing as 1ish, my critical nature and desire for order.

I have it, and I saw it in @EJCC's video as well.

I want to see EJCC's video! And yours if you have one. :D

[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]
As to [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] and the OP: I don't know. I agree with [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] that you seem more 2 than 1, but I truthfully think you seem much more like a 6w7. I know heck of a lot of 2's, and you did not come across the way they do. Even the 2w1's I know have some pretty obvious pride issues, the need to see themselves as a good. You seem more laid-back than that, goofier, more comfortable with yourself. You commented on security, and community dynamics several times, and also your appreciation of authenticity and trustworthyness. Even your mention of your younger self sounds 6w7 (though perhaps less healthy). I guess The question is do you value your social life for the potential to be loved by others? Or do you value it for the sense of belonging and security? Even your image of playing games together with your friends seems more 6w7 than 2w1 to me-- you are participating, not serving. Correct?

There's more, but before I launch into it, have you considered 6w7 before?

Interesting. I got 6 once on an online enneagram test but I never gave it a whole lot of consideration. I am extremely confident it's my head fix, but I've never really considered it as a core type. It's tricky, because I think I get my security from feeling needed. In my game playing scenario I am generally the one hosting. I've also usually made cookies or something. I think I draw a lot of self-worth not just from belonging to a group but from being a necessary part of it. Deep down I think I have a core belief that in order to be valuable I have to be needed by others. Which is why my friendship with ENxJ roommate really throws me for a loop. She has a boyfriend who she really relies on, and she's very put together. She really doesn't need me at all. But, I need her. I rely on her a lot. And that's probably one of the relationships in my life I feel most uncertain about.

It sounds like the general consensus is that I am a 2w1, but not your typical 2 (which I kind of like). Although, I would like here from [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION]. I think most 2s, at least the ones I know are 2w3s. And to be honest, 2w3s and 3w2 drive me absolutely insane. SO MANY NEEDS. I love to affirm and help. But good grief. So, it's nice to hear I don't really fall into that camp.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I want to see EJCC's video! And yours if you have one. :D
We both have videos in the Enneagram Challenge thread :)

Also just to clarify: I related more to the things that you were saying, than your speech patterns and mannerisms. I move around a lot when I talk -- looking off to the side mid-sentence, making lots of big gestures -- and I think I come across as a lot more spacey and tangent-prone. Whereas you're a lot more focused/directed in your speech. We do both laugh at our own jokes for a second or two! So there's that! :laugh: But re: what you talked about, I related to everything you said about comfort in groups. I think when I made a video around that questionnaire -- a long time ago, so I've since taken it down -- I also mentioned groups/family/friends during the "what makes you feel secure" question. And I think I had exactly the same answer to the question about why my favorite people are my favorite.

And to be honest, 2w3s and 3w2 drive me absolutely insane. SO MANY NEEDS. I love to affirm and help. But good grief.
:laugh: That's definitely been my experience too.

Starry

I'm not ruling in or out a 2 core but will say that based on the content alone...merely listening to what was said...I heard nothing 2-like at all (including the obvious 'intoxication' stemming from positive outlook.) In fact, I would type [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] as a 2 core (social dominance) before I would type Showbread in this video as a 2.

If forced at this point to choose I would have to go with 1w2 or some other type altogether.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm not ruling in or out a 2 core but will say that based on the content alone...merely listening to what was said...I heard nothing 2-like at all (including the obvious 'intoxication' stemming from positive outlook.) In fact, I would type [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] as a 2 core (social dominance) before I would type Showbread in this video as a 2.

If forced at this point to choose I would have to go with 1w2 or some other type altogether.

:shock: Really? Huh. Maybe I was subconsciously trying to be un-2ish when I made the video or something. I think what I relate to most about 2w1 is the fears. Not being valued/needed, not being competent or able to contribute. I think the 6 vibe people get is my anxiety disorder speaking. I do certainly have a very deep fear of things that are outside my control/understanding. But, I think I can live with that fear as long as I am loved and cared for. And, I do often feel like I have earned that love and care by "paying it forward". It's not my primary motivation. But, when I get hurt it's often because I feel like I've somehow earned better treatment.

I didn't really mention this in the video but shame is an absolutely crippling emotion for me. Especially if it's related to hurting someone or violating my moral code. If I do something that I am unable to justify, I just feel sick about it until I receive some sort of confirmation that my actions haven't done the amount of damage I perceive. And I think part of that is pride related. I do pride myself on being good and helpful.

Starry

:shock: Really? Huh.

Haha. Ahhh...I would just like to point out that you were the one that indicated in the OP that there was a possibility of you being 1w2 (I get the shocked emoticon response haha.)

Maybe I was subconsciously trying to be un-2ish when I made the video or something. I think what I relate to most about 2w1 is the fears. Not being valued/needed, not being competent or able to contribute. I think the 6 vibe people get is my anxiety disorder speaking. I do certainly have a very deep fear of things that are outside my control/understanding. But, I think I can live with that fear as long as I am loved and cared for. And, I do often feel like I have earned that love and care by "paying it forward". It's not my primary motivation. But, when I get hurt it's often because I feel like I've somehow earned better treatment.

I didn't really mention this in the video but shame is an absolutely crippling emotion for me. Especially if it's related to hurting someone or violating my moral code. If I do something that I am unable to justify, I just feel sick about it until I receive some sort of confirmation that my actions haven't done the amount of damage I perceive. And I think part of that is pride related. I do pride myself on being good and helpful.

Sure. 2w1 works. I can see from the vid though why some of your friends say 1w2. I have a ENFJ 2 mother and a ISTJ 1 sis...and I heard more (only) 1 content :wink: is all.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Haha. Ahhh...I would just like to point out that you were the one that indicated in the OP that there was a possibility of you being 1w2 (I get the shocked emoticon response haha.)

Sure. 2w1 works. I can see from the vid though why some of your friends say 1w2. I have a ENFJ 2 mother and a ISTJ 1 sis...and I heard more (only) 1 content :wink: is all.

The shocked response was mostly in response to the 6w7 suggestion. Not the 1w2. :)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That would explain why I related to the video so much. :laugh:

[MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] do you feel like you usually hide your 2-ish-ness?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
That would explain why I related to the video so much. :laugh:

[MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] do you feel like you usually hide your 2-ish-ness?

Um, maybe. Since I have become more aware of my 2ishness and the aspects of it that bother people, yes. I make a conscious effort to be less intrusive and attempt to more accurately gage when my help is actually wanted/needed. And I suppose I also try to play down my neediness because I am self-conscious about it. Although I've never considered myself particularly manipulative, which is something people often attribute to 2s... I'm starting to wonder if my instinctual stacking is just really off.. Any input on that?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Um, maybe. Since I have become more aware of my 2ishness and the aspects of it that bother people, yes. I make a conscious effort to be less intrusive and attempt to more accurately gage when my help is actually wanted/needed. And I suppose I also try to play down my neediness because I am self-conscious about it. Although I've never considered myself particularly manipulative, which is something people often attribute to 2s... I'm starting to wonder if my instinctual stacking is just really off.. Any input on that?
I read somewhere -- and this could be off-base, but it rings true with me -- that when someone is unwilling/unable to utilize their "core" type, they move on to the next one in the tritype and focus on that. In my case, for example, if I'm unable to make something perfect (1w2), I spin it into something positive, e.g. "you can learn from this mistake" or "you did the best you could", and push all my negative feelings to the back of my mind (7w6). So, with that in mind, I'm wondering if you're 216 -- forcing yourself to not express your 2, and therefore moving right on to the 1-ish process of ruthless goal-oriented self-improvement -- a process that I am VERY familiar with.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I read somewhere -- and this could be off-base, but it rings true with me -- that when someone is unwilling/unable to utilize their "core" type, they move on to the next one in the tritype and focus on that. In my case, for example, if I'm unable to make something perfect (1w2), I spin it into something positive, e.g. "you can learn from this mistake" or "you did the best you could", and push all my negative feelings to the back of my mind (7w6). So, with that in mind, I'm wondering if you're 216 -- forcing yourself to not express your 2, and therefore moving right on to the 1-ish process of ruthless goal-oriented self-improvement -- a process that I am VERY familiar with.

Maybe. Or perhaps even moving into 6w7, desperately seeking out something stable and secure to cling. I feel like I am more prone to this than obsessive self-improvement. I'm not disciplined enough for the latter and it generally leads to failure and feeling like crap.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe. Or perhaps even moving into 6w7, desperately seeking out something stable and secure to cling. I feel like I am more prone to this than obsessive self-improvement. I'm not disciplined enough for the latter and it generally leads to failure and feeling like crap.
:/ Hm. You're probably right about 26x, then.