• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I think I'm an INFP...maybe?

SirMathias007

So I have taken the test multiple times and always come out with INFP, so why am I questioning it? Because I over think things. Also because I was reading about the INFP and INFJ confusion and well, that confused me more. I tried reading some of the threads on here but they get so complex and in depth that I get confused. I'm not the smartest person around and I get very confused with all the fancy terminology and stuff. So I decided to post on here and use one of those question things from the sticky thread.

1-what makes you angry?
Math, video games, technology that doesn't work right. Its takes a lot for a person to make me angry, but it is possible if the right buttons are pushed.

2-what do you like/dislike most about people?
I'm not sure. I try to see the good in people and look at all angles of a persons situation before I judge them. People I don't like though are those who pretend to be someone they are not just to "fit in"

3-do you like animals? why?
Yes. They are just amazing and beautiful.

4-what do you like most about the favorite people in your life?
They are caring and like me for who I am...I hope. I still fear that people judge me badly, even those I'm close to. BUT they like me for who I am, and I'm quite unique. Also they are always there for me.

5-what do you like/dislike most about yourself?
Imagination, for both. I love it because it is so HUGE! My imagination just flows out all the time and helps me come up with amazing stories. I daydream A LOT. It's also a curse though because I tend to imagine certain situations and when they don't turn out the way I imagined I get upset. Example: I may imagine myself with a girl I like, her being nice and kind and wanting to be with me, our first date going great and us going out for a long time (long term relationship) and then the girl doesn't like me and I'm devastated because I almost believed my daydream to be true. It tends to get in the way a lot. Also I don't like how I'm so scared of social interaction.

6-do you care about being fashionable? why/why not?
Not really, I want to impress, but I want to be comfortable mostly.

7-do you prefer to fit in or stand out?
Neither, well fit in I guess. I like being unique and not "going with the flow" but too much attention makes me uncomfortable.

8-what activities do you enjoy?
I'm a mix of outdoorsman and geek. I love nature. Hiking, camping, kayaking, fishing, and so on. I also like video games, scifi and fantasy movies books and tv shows. I like to just hang out with a small group of friends and just have coffee or a few drinks.

9-what makes you feel secure?
Not sure what this is asking. What makes me feel safe? Retreating into my head I guess?? If I become very uncomfortable I will leave the situation mentally, start to day dream of being somewhere else. Escapism I guess, I write a lot of stories about escapism.

10-do you like being in a relationship? why/why not?
Yes, but they scare me. Social interaction scares me because I'm afraid of being judged. if I'm fully comfortable then I do like a relationship...it is very deep for me.

11-what do you love and why? Could be people, things, places, etc...
I love nature...a lot. It's so quiet and peaceful, not to mention beautiful.

12-what do you spend the most time thinking about?
I worry a lot about different things if that counts. I believe I have anxiety issues which might be separate from personality. I day dream a lot too. I aslo think about my values and things I believe strongly in.

13-How much have you changed over the years? Who were you as a child?
I'm a bit more outgoing than i used to be. I was a closed shell as a child. I'm more open now but still very cautious. I understand my myself a little more i guess...besides not knowing who I am That is, but I can recognize certain feelings and how to overcome them. I'm still hyper and goofy at times, yet very relaxed at other times. I feel mature but yet immature at the same time.

Anyway I guess I just want human input on my type, just to make sure it is INFP. Hope you can figure it out. Thanks.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Where do you get your reference for your sense of "right" and "wrong", "good" and "bad"?

Do people, I mean the ones you are close to, find you intense and engaging one day then apathetic and distant the next, for time and time again? Or do they find you generally reserved, shy but intense and your expressions are consistent over time?

Do you have any passion/ interest that for it you might lose discipline, structure and standard routine pursuing?

How often do you feel overwhelmed by your own emotions? And how bad are we talking about?

Do you think carefully and consider pros and cons before taking an action? Or would you rather jump into the shark pool and learn through interaction?

And btw, welcome you!

SirMathias007

My sense of right and wrong...i don't know its just a feeling I guess. I can just tell if something feels right or not.

Id say I'm intense and engaging one day and apathetic the next...but I'm not sure, that's a tough question.

If you mean do I break the rules and do anything for my passion...then I'd say yes.

I feel overwhelmed a lot...its like i can't get away from my feelings sometimes. It must show too because my friends tell me I'm as easy to read as a children's book. They always know what I'm feeling because no matter how hard i try to hide my feelings, i can't control them and they come through.

I always think before i act. I never make a move without looking at every possible outcome first. Make decision making a very slow process for me.

Thanks!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I have taken the test multiple times and always come out with INFP, so why am I questioning it? Because I over think things. Also because I was reading about the INFP and INFJ confusion and well, that confused me more. I tried reading some of the threads on here but they get so complex and in depth that I get confused. I'm not the smartest person around and I get very confused with all the fancy terminology and stuff. So I decided to post on here and use one of those question things from the sticky thread.

1-what makes you angry?
Math, video games, technology that doesn't work right. Its takes a lot for a person to make me angry, but it is possible if the right buttons are pushed.

Knowing what about people pushes your buttons would be far more important than everything else you said there.

2-what do you like/dislike most about people?
I'm not sure. I try to see the good in people and look at all angles of a persons situation before I judge them. People I don't like though are those who pretend to be someone they are not just to "fit in"

You like authenticity in people and dislike inauthenticity. So perhaps that answers my question above partly. INTP is not the authenticity type.

3-do you like animals? why?
Yes. They are just amazing and beautiful.

That's rather vague, but at least it points vaguely in a certain direction of type.

4-what do you like most about the favorite people in your life?
They are caring and like me for who I am...I hope. I still fear that people judge me badly, even those I'm close to. BUT they like me for who I am, and I'm quite unique. Also they are always there for me.

In terms of INTP vs. INFP, that is far more INFP.

5-what do you like/dislike most about yourself?
Imagination, for both. I love it because it is so HUGE! My imagination just flows out all the time and helps me come up with amazing stories. I daydream A LOT. It's also a curse though because I tend to imagine certain situations and when they don't turn out the way I imagined I get upset. Example: I may imagine myself with a girl I like, her being nice and kind and wanting to be with me, our first date going great and us going out for a long time (long term relationship) and then the girl doesn't like me and I'm devastated because I almost believed my daydream to be true. It tends to get in the way a lot. Also I don't like how I'm so scared of social interaction.

That would be more INFP than INFJ.

6-do you care about being fashionable? why/why not?
Not really, I want to impress, but I want to be comfortable mostly.

In terms of INTP vs. INFP, that is more of an INFP trait.

7-do you prefer to fit in or stand out?
Neither, well fit in I guess. I like being unique and not "going with the flow" but too much attention makes me uncomfortable.

An INFP is more likely apt to say that.

8-what activities do you enjoy?
I'm a mix of outdoorsman and geek. I love nature. Hiking, camping, kayaking, fishing, and so on. I also like video games, scifi and fantasy movies books and tv shows. I like to just hang out with a small group of friends and just have coffee or a few drinks.

That's more INFP than INTP.

9-what makes you feel secure?
Not sure what this is asking. What makes me feel safe? Retreating into my head I guess?? If I become very uncomfortable I will leave the situation mentally, start to day dream of being somewhere else. Escapism I guess, I write a lot of stories about escapism.

INFP.

10-do you like being in a relationship? why/why not?
Yes, but they scare me. Social interaction scares me because I'm afraid of being judged. if I'm fully comfortable then I do like a relationship...it is very deep for me.

In a way that could be INFP or INFJ, but the fear of being judged is INFP.

11-what do you love and why? Could be people, things, places, etc...
I love nature...a lot. It's so quiet and peaceful, not to mention beautiful.

INFP.

12-what do you spend the most time thinking about?
I worry a lot about different things if that counts. I believe I have anxiety issues which might be separate from personality. I day dream a lot too. I aslo think about my values and things I believe strongly in.

INFP!

13-How much have you changed over the years? Who were you as a child?
I'm a bit more outgoing than i used to be. I was a closed shell as a child. I'm more open now but still very cautious. I understand my myself a little more i guess...besides not knowing who I am That is, but I can recognize certain feelings and how to overcome them. I'm still hyper and goofy at times, yet very relaxed at other times. I feel mature but yet immature at the same time.

Anyway I guess I just want human input on my type, just to make sure it is INFP. Hope you can figure it out. Thanks.

INFP

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you ever act on impulse? Are you very spontaneous in any way?

SirMathias007

I know I can be vague...hard to explain my thoughts sometimes. I'm good with metaphors though :p I do like how you broke that down Mal...it helps.

Answer to other question: I rarely act on impulse, always think first. I can be spontaneous and random, I'll get bored and be spontaneous...I get bored a lot.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've met a true INFJ who fits almost every single description you made, so I'm having a hard time here pinpointing whether you are an INFJ or INFP.
My bet is also on INFP. If you find yourself saying, or thinking, "this doesn't make any sense" more often than "this doesn't make any sense, but makes perfect sense in my world" than you are leaning towards INFJ.

Remember, INFJ and INFP both enjoy the wild rides on imagination and fantasy. Both can think carefully before making an important decision. Both can be aloof, detached and vague. But INFJs wake up from dreams and fantasy and separate them with reality, while INFPs may let them become ideals and get crushed when the line between 2 realms are clearly defined. INFJs work towards their dreams. INFPs work towards their fantasies, and it's more fortunate for the INFPs with a bit more "achievable" fantasies. But once INFPs reach their goals, they question where they stand, what they really want once again.

Many INFJs live under the INFP disguise at times for a change, many INFPs appear like something else in various scenarios, especially enneagram type 4, trying many different identities on for size.

Your enneagram is important to find out as well.

SirMathias007

Yes I know....is there a certain trait or traits that are major factors in telling the difference between INFP and INFJ?

SirMathias007

There is no reason...I can't seem to think of details when asked specifically, I go blank. It's like trying to think too hard about it makes me not actually think about it. If you have some questions to ask I will answer with as much detail as I can...and try not to over think it. :p

Raffaella

bon vivant
There is no reason...I can't seem to think of details when asked specifically, I go blank. It's like trying to think too hard about it makes me not actually think about it. If you have some questions to ask I will answer with as much detail as I can...and try not to over think it. :p

haha, understandable... infp 9w1. Did you read through the link I posted? Also, which enneagram tests did you do?

roastingmallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sound a lot more like an INFP, just in your manner of answering questions.

SirMathias007

Yes I read it, that was the post that started this post. I don't remember the test I took exactly. I took two four years ago in high school, the other was about a year ago, but I don't remember which test it was. all i know was I got 4 each time...my next number would be 9, but 4 always seemed to be the winning number.

I have an idea. I write from time to time. Sometimes its short stories other times its reflections. Maybe if I post one you can see who I am through my writing.

This is a reflection/story thing I wrote a couple years ago:

The Fight with Life
Life is a large strong and deadly warrior. You are a slightly skilled swordsman, but Life looks down on you as if weak. You try to talk Life out of a fight, but Life does not fight fair and delivers the first blow. You fight back with all you have, but Life just keeps knocking you back. Some how you gather more strength by staying optimistic. You hit with the best strike you have using all your skills and talent. Life just swats you away like a fly, then begins to pound and slash you. Stabbing, slashing, hitting, and jabbing. It doesnt stop till your on the ground, bleeding in a hump, and hardly conscience. You lay there thinking your done, been defeated by Life. How can you beat something stronger than you, and something that cheats and fights unfairly? Do you lie there and let what happens happen?.........................................Or do you find the strength to get back up? What is your strength? Love, Family, Friends? There has got to be something. Get back up. Life is a very strong enemy but you have to learn to expect to be knocked down, if your ready to be knocked down then the blow won't be so bad, if you were not ready then find the strength to get back up. It's there just look for it. Life can be taken no matter how hard it seems. Get up, face Life, look it in the eye and grin, then unleash a final blow, a secret that lied within you that you did not know you had until you found it while on the ground. Finish it off, and come out in victory, you may be bloody and in pain, but you will have won!

Life can be tough and no matter how hard we try it will just throw us down, even if we try our best. Don't give up, there is always a chance. Nothing can last forever, and nothing can ever be completely gone. Find what is inside you that can let you be happy. Life will never let you be always happy, but if you never give up, that happiness can last a lot longer than you think. Pull out your hidden move and don't let Life beat you down!

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I feel overwhelmed a lot...its like i can't get away from my feelings sometimes. It must show too because my friends tell me I'm as easy to read as a children's book. They always know what I'm feeling because no matter how hard i try to hide my feelings, i can't control them and they come through.

Thanks!

From what I understand, Fe has an easy time masking its emotions. Fi likely does not.

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
From what I understand, Fe has an easy time masking its emotions. Fi likely does not.

Actually it is quite the opposite. Relating to people requires emotional receptiveness.. and when that is a strong concept its just not something you can turn off.

Do you feel like you have foresight? INFJ reflective ahead to the future, the likely sequence of events... vs INFP... Ne is more reflective on past, this was this, now its this. Today I compared is as Pulling things out of nowhere INFP.. Pulling things out of Somewhere INFJ

Something to the natural consequences and natural order based on choices.

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes I read it, that was the post that started this post. I don't remember the test I took exactly. I took two four years ago in high school, the other was about a year ago, but I don't remember which test it was. all i know was I got 4 each time...my next number would be 9, but 4 always seemed to be the winning number.

I have an idea. I write from time to time. Sometimes its short stories other times its reflections. Maybe if I post one you can see who I am through my writing.

This is a reflection/story thing I wrote a couple years ago:

The Fight with Life
Life is a large strong and deadly warrior. You are a slightly skilled swordsman, but Life looks down on you as if weak. You try to talk Life out of a fight, but Life does not fight fair and delivers the first blow. You fight back with all you have, but Life just keeps knocking you back. Some how you gather more strength by staying optimistic. You hit with the best strike you have using all your skills and talent. Life just swats you away like a fly, then begins to pound and slash you. Stabbing, slashing, hitting, and jabbing. It doesnt stop till your on the ground, bleeding in a hump, and hardly conscience. You lay there thinking your done, been defeated by Life. How can you beat something stronger than you, and something that cheats and fights unfairly? Do you lie there and let what happens happen?.........................................Or do you find the strength to get back up? What is your strength? Love, Family, Friends? There has got to be something. Get back up. Life is a very strong enemy but you have to learn to expect to be knocked down, if your ready to be knocked down then the blow won't be so bad, if you were not ready then find the strength to get back up. It's there just look for it. Life can be taken no matter how hard it seems. Get up, face Life, look it in the eye and grin, then unleash a final blow, a secret that lied within you that you did not know you had until you found it while on the ground. Finish it off, and come out in victory, you may be bloody and in pain, but you will have won!

Life can be tough and no matter how hard we try it will just throw us down, even if we try our best. Don't give up, there is always a chance. Nothing can last forever, and nothing can ever be completely gone. Find what is inside you that can let you be happy. Life will never let you be always happy, but if you never give up, that happiness can last a lot longer than you think. Pull out your hidden move and don't let Life beat you down!

Are you an actor?