• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP? ENTP? INFP? ISFP? ISFJ? ISTJ? I can't decide . . .

Paris34

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
So just about every time I've taken the test I've gotten a different result. The first time I took it 3 years ago, I tested INFJ. But that didn't seem quite right. I researched and read up on most of the types, but to no avail. Then I took it and tested INFP, then ISFP, then INTP, then ISFJ, then ISTJ. . . But to be honest, every time I took it after the first go, it was basically a joke, because I had quickly figured out how to manipulate the system to get the results I wanted.

So naturally I took to learning about the different cognitive functions, so I could type myself. The type that I currently most relate to is INTP, but I'm still not certain as I am quite observant of my surroundings in day to day life, I'm normally the first to notice a physical change in the environment (e.g. a person walks by; a napkin blows away), although I normally don't verbalize my observations, and I have a hard time hiding my facial expressions. I'm decent at piecing together clues to figure out a situation by noticing whats in front of me and then connecting it with things I know from the past. I like to think that I take other people's feelings into consideration, but I don't think that is my default setting. My default brain analyzes my surrounding environment and tries to figure out how I would paint or draw it.

I'll describe a photo, to add more insight to how my thought process works (I got the idea from another forum post I saw a while back) Klipsch-Image-S4-II-Black-Lifestyle.jpg

My first thought after thinking she's cute, and looking at her physical appearance was, "I wonder where she's running, oh I wonder what music she's listening to." I took a second look and realized she had a purse slung over her shoulder. Oh maybe she's not on a run. Going to the gym maybe her hair is tied back and she looks like she's physically active. But where does the photo link to on the web. *checks url* amazon. I wonder what this is an ad for. *Visits amazon page. "Of course, an add for headphones, I should have figured that one out."

One more just for funcanberra_hero_image.jpg:

First reaction: Hot air balloon. That is a very vivid hot air balloon. Wait, is this a digital drawing or a photo? *larger picture loads* Photograph. Wow that hot air ballon has extraordinarily vibrant colors. It looks like there is a hot air balloon show going on in that town. I wonder if there are people in the building on the left watching from their windows? I wonder what town this is? The architecture and pond makes me wonder if it's in DC by the lincoln memorial, (tangent thought MLK speech was over there, and there was a scene in Forest Gump filmed there) but I don't think there are that many mountains in DC, or are there? It must be nearing sunset by the looks of the sky, it's too yellow for it to be sunrise. *Looks at ballon again and starts analyzing how the sheer fabric and light would make the various colors appear, and I start to wonder how I would paint it*

Anyways, so after reading this what do you think my mbti type is?

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
INTP functions are close to INFJ.. In my typing I've pinpointed my issue that I am an INFJ with exceptionally high intuition and Strong T function...

you could be the opposite... maybe you are a bit of a romantic as you first notice the pretty girl... Usually INTPs aren't too concerned with physical appearance which is something I share with the type... but you seem to be opposite.

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
although, intuition isnt necessarily an observational kind of thing...

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
oh also when I took the socionics test it gave me a strong INFJ type... did you try socionics?

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't at all mean to sound unpleasant :peaceout:, just my thought: I never truly understand how people cannot determine their own types. Like really. How can one not know if they're a feeler or thinker, or if they're intuitive or sensing. How can one not even tell if they're INFP or... ISTJ ? :uwin:

Anyway, by the way you describe those photos, you're just no way an INFP, I can tell you that because I can only my own type best. Could be a T.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So just about every time I've taken the test I've gotten a different result. The first time I took it 3 years ago, I tested INFJ. But that didn't seem quite right. I researched and read up on most of the types, but to no avail. Then I took it and tested INFP, then ISFP, then INTP, then ISFJ, then ISTJ. . . But to be honest, every time I took it after the first go, it was basically a joke, because I had quickly figured out how to manipulate the system to get the results I wanted.

So naturally I took to learning about the different cognitive functions, so I could type myself. The type that I currently most relate to is INTP, but I'm still not certain as I am quite observant of my surroundings in day to day life, I'm normally the first to notice a physical change in the environment (e.g. a person walks by; a napkin blows away), although I normally don't verbalize my observations, and I have a hard time hiding my facial expressions. I'm decent at piecing together clues to figure out a situation by noticing whats in front of me and then connecting it with things I know from the past. I like to think that I take other people's feelings into consideration, but I don't think that is my default setting. My default brain analyzes my surrounding environment and tries to figure out how I would paint or draw it.

I'll describe a photo, to add more insight to how my thought process works (I got the idea from another forum post I saw a while back) View attachment 12422

My first thought after thinking she's cute, and looking at her physical appearance was, "I wonder where she's running, oh I wonder what music she's listening to." I took a second look and realized she had a purse slung over her shoulder. Oh maybe she's not on a run. Going to the gym maybe her hair is tied back and she looks like she's physically active. But where does the photo link to on the web. *checks url* amazon. I wonder what this is an ad for. *Visits amazon page. "Of course, an add for headphones, I should have figured that one out."

One more just for funView attachment 12423:

First reaction: Hot air balloon. That is a very vivid hot air balloon. Wait, is this a digital drawing or a photo? *larger picture loads* Photograph. Wow that hot air ballon has extraordinarily vibrant colors. It looks like there is a hot air balloon show going on in that town. I wonder if there are people in the building on the left watching from their windows? I wonder what town this is? The architecture and pond makes me wonder if it's in DC by the lincoln memorial, (tangent thought MLK speech was over there, and there was a scene in Forest Gump filmed there) but I don't think there are that many mountains in DC, or are there? It must be nearing sunset by the looks of the sky, it's too yellow for it to be sunrise. *Looks at ballon again and starts analyzing how the sheer fabric and light would make the various colors appear, and I start to wonder how I would paint it*

The way you interpreted the pictures indicates strong Ne usage. I'm gonna say INTP or ENTP.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't at all mean to sound unpleasant :peaceout:, just my thought: I never truly understand how people cannot determine their own types. Like really. How can one not know if they're a feeler or thinker, or if they're intuitive or sensing. How can one not even tell if they're INFP or... ISTJ ? :uwin:

Anyway, by the way you describe those photos, you're just no way an INFP, I can tell you that because I can only my own type best. Could be a T.

The deeper I dove into the system the less sure I became. If you have only studied INFPs how can you be certain another type does not better describe the role of each of your functions?

What first hung me up in determining my type was my Fi, Ti and Ni all testing strong. The most obvious solution is INxJ, but identifying the role each of these functions plays in my consciousness should point to one type (my guess is full circle to INTJ).

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you have only studied INFPs how can you be certain another type does not better describe the role of each of your functions?

Did I say I have only studied INFP? Maybe it's an INFP thing, I just know that I am it, with all the functions entailed.

I can read people easily, and I can pretty much tell the types of the people I'm close to. But I cannot tell the type of every single person I've interacted with.
Sometimes it is the clues that you pick up yourself through your own observation tell so much more about a person than the selective so called clues or descriptions they choose to give you.

After all, we are the products of what happened to us, good or bad or in between. Our past shapes us. For one who hasn't had the chance to test oneself in various scenarios and experiences, or still too young, what kind of reference does one have to give solid answers to all of these long personality tests? Some may choose the answers that describe the ideal self that they want to be. We all want to think that we're creative, capable of deep emotions, different, reasonable, sensible, empathetic, sentimental, supportive, etc. etc., but only our past experiences can pinpoint whether we're truly respectively so, or sadly we just want to think that we could be but we haven't been and we never could.

One's type settles as one has been through enough. And if something profound and greatly significant happens, type might change again to certain extent.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Did I say I have only studied INFP?

You didn't. Sorry for that leap.

I agree those less experienced may have less practice to refer to in self-typing, and many (if not most) do present and identify with an ideal self. INPs seem to have the most difficulty with initial self-typing, so it's fortunate your type was obvious to you. My indecision could well be a marker of youth, though unlikely so simple.

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
If you tested INFj in socionics that correlates with INFP in the MBTI.

Meh.. I also got INFJ in mbti... I think it is a format problem for me. I'm fairly disorganized I think that these types of questions throw my results off.

I think there are things for each person they can isolate and say.. I know, this does not fit "my type" but... theres a lot more to my actions, or maybe a lot less, than it would seem. I think its a good idea to take multiple tests.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'll describe a photo, to add more insight to how my thought process works (I got the idea from another forum post I saw a while back) View attachment 12422

One more just for funView attachment 12423:

I challenge you to take my "unbiased" MBTI inventory! I guarantee you won't be able to subconsciously cheat the test, or not enough to matter in the long run.

Mine is available via PM.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Meh.. I also got INFJ in mbti... I think it is a format problem for me. I'm fairly disorganized I think that these types of questions throw my results off.

What types of questions do you mean?

I think there are things for each person they can isolate and say.. I know, this does not fit "my type" but... theres a lot more to my actions, or maybe a lot less, than it would seem. I think its a good idea to take multiple tests.

Taking multiple tests may not be as helpful as you think. The wider the variance of your results the more you'll realize you have to learn the mechanics of the system (definitions of each function and how they manifest in each type) before typing yourself or others with any degree of certainty.

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
What types of questions do you mean?

Taking multiple tests may not be as helpful as you think. The wider the variance of your results the more you'll realize you have to learn the mechanics of the system (definitions of each function and how they manifest in each type) before typing yourself or others with any degree of certainty.

I actually mean questions about organization. Also there are many things I have no strong preference for and it is case by case basis. Not pertaining to people, but decisions and how I use logic and rationale.

I have actually studied the functions quite a bit. But it can be easier to see someone else's preferences than your own. I am extremely good at reading people and so far have accurately typed all of my close relationships, even potential relationships rather quickly. This has explained the nature of my relationships. My Intuition is REALLY high.

Also I'm a writer, so descriptive language is very revealing to me in this case. But I tend to think people capable to figure things out and discern for themselves, because if we can't actually do that, I could say in a linear way, that is a potentially large problem.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I actually mean questions about organization. Also there are many things I have no strong preference for and it is case by case basis. Not pertaining to people, but decisions and how I use logic and rationale.

I have actually studied the functions quite a bit. But it can be easier to see someone else's preferences than your own. I am extremely good at reading people and so far have accurately typed all of my close relationships, even potential relationships rather quickly. This has explained the nature of my relationships. My Intuition is REALLY high.

Also I'm a writer, so descriptive language is very revealing to me in this case. But I tend to think people capable to figure things out and discern for themselves, because if we can't actually do that, I could say in a linear way, that is a potentially large problem.

Ah, yeah. External organization is an ambiguous behavior.

How do you know you've accurately typed those with whom you are in close relationships? I'm curious what functional clues you find in diction and syntax, if you feel inclined to share.

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ah, yeah. External organization is an ambiguous behavior.

How do you know you've accurately typed those with whom you are in close relationships? I'm curious what functional clues you find in diction and syntax, if you feel inclined to share.

If you notice in the posters description, he is not poetic, he has a slight quirk that I cannot explain, i guess it is a hint at some bluntness, although that may characteristic of INFJ possibly, knowing a few INTP's this is pretty standard..

He didn't pick up on the art of the hot air balloon photo until the very end. Art is an afterthought and before it is mostly pointed detail. I believe this is far more characteristic of INTP...

I mean my intuition I guess is based on subtleties... If you have ever known an autistic or aspergers person.. you literally sometimes have to be psychic to see where they are in their brain to avoid a conflict/meltdown.

Well my friends and family are next to nearly all the same type. ISTJ.. ENTJ father.. One female INTP 1 Male INTP friend 1 ISTP... 1 ISFP..
and thank god(expression wise) 1 INFJ male friend who I'm closest to. He is also 50y/o ... we are both extremely thankful for eachother, with similar thought process understandings, intuition, kindness, we are both effortlessly giving though im probably more flexible, given my low preference.

The ISTJ Mother & Sister and XXXJ Father (INFJ base turns to INTJ due to "Aspergers Flip" and then ESTJ or ENTJ due to Bipolar disorder) in my life have long had me thinking I was crazy.

I wasn't listening to my intuition.
I wondered why they werent as connected to me as I was to them. They definitely all had rage moments, and were fixated on having things certain ways so much it left for no alternative. Because of this, I make an effort to consciously BEND. I don't become so attached to process or having things done MY WAY.
As it induces pointless pain and suffering.

My mother, the ONLY time she let down her wall and complimented me, told me I always had an "internal compass", I believe this is how she perceived my Intuition. Because I navigate the world in such a way.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From INFJ. To INFP. Then ISFP. Then INTP. Then ISFJ. Then ISTJ. And finally back to ... again.

In typology we travel from place to place, but in the long run there's no place like home!

Paris34

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Just btw, I'm female. Just throwing that out there. . .