• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP? ENTP? INFP? ISFP? ISFJ? ISTJ? I can't decide . . .

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you notice in the posters description, he is not poetic, he has a slight quirk that I cannot explain, i guess it is a hint at some bluntness, although that may characteristic of INFJ possibly, knowing a few INTP's this is pretty standard..

He didn't pick up on the art of the hot air balloon photo until the very end. Art is an afterthought and before it is mostly pointed detail. I believe this is far more characteristic of INTP...

I mean my intuition I guess is based on subtleties... If you have ever known an autistic or aspergers person.. you literally sometimes have to be psychic to see where they are in their brain to avoid a conflict/meltdown.

Well my friends and family are next to nearly all the same type. ISTJ.. ENTJ father.. One female INTP 1 Male INTP friend 1 ISTP... 1 ISFP..
and thank god(expression wise) 1 INFJ male friend who I'm closest to. He is also 50y/o ... we are both extremely thankful for eachother, with similar thought process understandings, intuition, kindness, we are both effortlessly giving though im probably more flexible, given my low preference.

The ISTJ Mother & Sister and XXXJ Father (INFJ base turns to INTJ due to "Aspergers Flip" and then ESTJ or ENTJ due to Bipolar disorder) in my life have long had me thinking I was crazy.

I wasn't listening to my intuition.
I wondered why they werent as connected to me as I was to them. They definitely all had rage moments, and were fixated on having things certain ways so much it left for no alternative. Because of this, I make an effort to consciously BEND. I don't become so attached to process or having things done MY WAY.
As it induces pointless pain and suffering.

My mother, the ONLY time she let down her wall and complimented me, told me I always had an "internal compass", I believe this is how she perceived my Intuition. Because I navigate the world in such a way.

That's a lot of introverts...

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you notice in the posters description, he is not poetic,

You were better at this at the beginning of this thread. But now you're turning to stereotypes - "poetic" indeed!

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
You were better at this at the beginning of this thread. But now you're turning to stereotypes - "poetic" indeed!

Well describing details isn't really my thing... I synthesize them.

I'm far more comfortable with introverts. Extroverts never understand me. Introverts may have a hard time at it too.
Social things are very taxing because of my extreme empathy. I tend to pick up everyones stuff as my own.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well describing details isn't really my thing... I synthesize them.

Yes, but you synthesize them by means of concepts (Intuition). So your strength is not in the details themselves, but in the concepts. In this case, those concepts are principles of pure typology. Sometimes it can be difficult to find the correspondence between these principles and reality, i.e, actual people with actual personalities. Stereotypes, such as INFJs are poetic, can't serve this function as they lack in conceptualizing power, because they don't stand on any typological principles.

I'm far more comfortable with introverts. Extroverts never understand me. Introverts may have a hard time at it too. Social things are very taxing because of my extreme empathy. I tend to pick up everyones stuff as my own.

That may be partly why socializing is very taxing, but you should also consider your Se inferior as another source of this innervation.

Paris34

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
So I think I've narrowed it down to INFJ or INTP.

I know that I'm an Introvert. There's not a doubt in my mind on that one. and I'm fairly certain my first function is an introverted one.
Then I'm fairly certain that I have an intuition preference. I know I have high Ne, and Ni

I know my primary thinking function is Ti, and I know I use Fe more dominantly than Fi

And I'm sure I use Si, and Se to a lesser extent.

Is it possible to be an INTP with a strong Fe, or would I then be an INFJ?

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
So I think I've narrowed it down to INFJ or INTP.

I know that I'm an Introvert. There's not a doubt in my mind on that one. and I'm fairly certain my first function is an introverted one.
Then I'm fairly certain that I have an intuition preference. I know I have high Ne, and Ni

I know my primary thinking function is Ti, and I know I use Fe more dominantly than Fi

And I'm sure I use Si, and Se to a lesser extent.

Is it possible to be an INTP with a strong Fe, or would I then be an INFJ?

What made you believe you were not INFJ?

Paris34

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
What made you believe you were not INFJ?

My friend asked me "are you sure?" when I told her my type, which spurred 12+ more months of extensive mbti research on my behalf. (I'm not entirely sure of her type she says she's an INFJ, but she has only taken the test and is on the cusp for many things. I get the feeling she isn't an INFJ more likely INFP or ISTP, as she can be pretty blunt sometimes, and is quick to judge (IP's are dominate judgers IJ dominate perceivers) but I don't tell her this as I don't want to upset her as I know she likes the label and it makes her happy so I just let it be.)

A few more things about me:

- I sent my mom the PersonalityCafe descriptions by Hollygolightly of both the Child INTP and INFJ, and she said that the INFJ one sounded more like me as a child.
- I can be extremely stubborn
- I've known I wanted to be an artist of some sort since I was 5. And the reason I want to purse the arts, specifically animation and storytelling is that I can impact many people and bring joy into there lives if only for a brief amount of time. And maybe my art will have a long-lasting positive impact on them and cause them to treat others with kindness and respect.
- I get completely exhausted after spending more than an hour with a group of people and have to leave otherwise I fall into an awake dreamlike state.
- I get overwhelmed if there is too much drama in my life.
- Although I seem laid back and easy going, I'm actually pretty uptight (aka, secretly I'm a planner, I just don't plan the obsessive details, I plan the general big picture in a flexible way).
- I adjust well to big changes, like moving schools, but not so much things like other people moving my things.
- I'm always scanning my environment, but for noting in particular, just looking at the scenery and thinking about thinking or some grand philosophical question.
- I dont live in the past.
- I have a bad memory for things like names.
- I tend to forget about people or things if i haven't interacted with them in a while.
- I dont care about drama, I can't stand to be around it, and I dont dwell on interpersonal issues.

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
My friend asked me "are you sure?" when I told her my type, which spurred 12+ more months of extensive mbti research on my behalf. (I'm not entirely sure of her type she says she's an INFJ, but she has only taken the test and is on the cusp for many things. I get the feeling she isn't an INFJ more likely INFP or ISTP, as she can be pretty blunt sometimes, and is quick to judge (IP's are dominate judgers IJ dominate perceivers) but I don't tell her this as I don't want to upset her as I know she likes the label and it makes her happy so I just let it be.)

A few more things about me:

- I sent my mom the PersonalityCafe descriptions by Hollygolightly of both the Child INTP and INFJ, and she said that the INFJ one sounded more like me as a child.
- I can be extremely stubborn
- I've known I wanted to be an artist of some sort since I was 5. And the reason I want to purse the arts, specifically animation and storytelling is that I can impact many people and bring joy into there lives if only for a brief amount of time. And maybe my art will have a long-lasting positive impact on them and cause them to treat others with kindness and respect.
- I get completely exhausted after spending more than an hour with a group of people and have to leave otherwise I fall into an awake dreamlike state.
- I get overwhelmed if there is too much drama in my life.
- Although I seem laid back and easy going, I'm actually pretty uptight (aka, secretly I'm a planner, I just don't plan the obsessive details, I plan the general big picture in a flexible way).
- I adjust well to big changes, like moving schools, but not so much things like other people moving my things.
- I'm always scanning my environment, but for noting in particular, just looking at the scenery and thinking about thinking or some grand philosophical question.
- I dont live in the past.
- I have a bad memory for things like names.
- I tend to forget about people or things if i haven't interacted with them in a while.
- I dont care about drama, I can't stand to be around it, and I dont dwell on interpersonal issues.

Lots sound INFJ.. although the first and dominant is Ni.. Do you have "aha" moments? and also have an ability to see through a persons words and see their motivation? (also, sorry about thinking you were a guy)

Paris34

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Lots sound INFJ.. although the first and dominant is Ni.. Do you have "aha" moments? and also have an ability to see through a persons words and see their motivation? (also, sorry about thinking you were a guy)

Haha, no worries, I figured I'd get that, its the normal assumption of people to think if you're attracted to women, you're male.

I don't really think I have that many aha moments with people. I'm able to figure things out about people, and then trace back clues that I have seen in the past a that point to my conclusion. For example i was able to guess that my friend's relative passed away because my friend randomly disappeared for 2 hours, came back with puffy eyes and a kleenex in their pocket, and they had told me that their relative had been in the hospital a few weeks before. And then when my suspicions were confirmed later when they confided in me internally I was secretly pleased with my ability to piece together the puzzle, but externally I simply sat and listened to what they had to say. I knew from experience that the most important thing that a person can have in a situation like that is a person to listen to them, even if I didn't say anything. Sometimes saying nothing, and just being there says more than a single word ever can. And even before they told me anything, the days following the puffy eyes and kleenex, I knew that something was wrong. So I changed my homework schedule (unbeknownst to them) so that I could work in the same building as them. I knew that having a friend nearby would make things a bit less painful.

My aha moments tend to be in art, with ideas that I want to paint. I will see something and instantly know I want to paint it, I won't know why want to paint it, but I won't be content until i find a way to make my vision a reality. Its hard to get me to change my idea for a project once I know what I want to do.

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Haha, no worries, I figured I'd get that, its the normal assumption of people to think if you're attracted to women, you're male.

I don't really think I have that many aha moments with people. I'm able to figure things out about people, and then trace back clues that I have seen in the past a that point to my conclusion. For example i was able to guess that my friend's relative passed away because my friend randomly disappeared for 2 hours, came back with puffy eyes and a kleenex in their pocket, and they had told me that their relative had been in the hospital a few weeks before. And then when my suspicions were confirmed later when they confided in me internally I was secretly pleased with my ability to piece together the puzzle, but externally I simply sat and listened to what they had to say. I knew from experience that the most important thing that a person can have in a situation like that is a person to listen to them, even if I didn't say anything. Sometimes saying nothing, and just being there says more than a single word ever can. And even before they told me anything, the days following the puffy eyes and kleenex, I knew that something was wrong. So I changed my homework schedule (unbeknownst to them) so that I could work in the same building as them. I knew that having a friend nearby would make things a bit less painful.

My aha moments tend to be in art, with ideas that I want to paint. I will see something and instantly know I want to paint it, I won't know why want to paint it, but I won't be content until i find a way to make my vision a reality. Its hard to get me to change my idea for a project once I know what I want to do.

You seem to be a vary caring person.. is there anyway you could be an INFJ with a little ADD? or a grown T function? maybe a lot of thinkers around.

Paris34

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
You seem to be a vary caring person.. is there anyway you could be an INFJ with a little ADD? or a grown T function? maybe a lot of thinkers around.

As far as I know I don't have ADD, I'm able to focus if I want. When I get working on a painting, a story, or an essay that I'm interested in I can forget to eat or sleep. Sometimes I'll spend 5 hours straight working in the studio and be confused as to why I'm so sore, forgetting I have been standing for 5 hours. And my friends frequently comment on how laid-back and easy going I am.

My mom is an ESTJ, she almost perfectly fits the description, my brother is an ISTP, and my dad is an ISFP. I'm definitely the odd one out in my family. I always have been.

And although I don't think I have ADD, I'm recently struggling with moderate depression and recovering from mild OCD relating to the struggles of being a closeted lesbian and coming out. So I might be a bit more cynical than usual. (These are just my suspicions based on research, I have yet to go to my university's counseling center, although I will likely make an appointment sometime soon.)

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ

As far as I know I don't have ADD, I'm able to focus if I want. When I get working on a painting, a story, or an essay that I'm interested in I can forget to eat or sleep. Sometimes I'll spend 5 hours straight working in the studio and be confused as to why I'm so sore, forgetting I have been standing for 5 hours. And my friends frequently comment on how laid-back and easy going I am.

My mom is an ESTJ, she almost perfectly fits the description, my brother is an ISTP, and my dad is an ISFP. I'm definitely the odd one out in my family. I always have been.

And although I don't think I have ADD, I'm recently struggling with moderate depression and recovering from mild OCD relating to the struggles of being a closeted lesbian and coming out. So I might be a bit more cynical than usual. (These are just my suspicions based on research, I have yet to go to my university's counseling center, although I will likely make an appointment sometime soon.)
I'm glad you're coming out, no reason to be in the closet at all. :)

Any way you could be ISFJ?

Paris34

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm glad you're coming out, no reason to be in the closet at all. :)

Any way you could be ISFJ?

Hmm, maybe, it fits, but I think that my Ne, is too developed for that to be the case, I'm fairly certain that I'm N dominant (either Ne or Ni)

I hate details, I just want people to get to the core meaning of what they are saying and "not bother me with the details." My dad who knows a bit about mbti, thinks that I'm probably an intuitive. I've always been pretty good at reading between the lines and find a way to bend the rules of an assignment. (This is especially true now that my true personality is developing since I've come out).

In 3rd grade I got in a debate with my friend about a quote from a Cinderella Story "Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game." Even at age 8 I knew that it had a much deeper implication than baseball, but because I couldn't put into words how I knew this my friend thought my idea was stupid.

-I never follow recipes when I cook, I just wing it. And throw in what I think will go well.
-I always get strange looks from friends and family when I decide to put something like yogurt on crackers, or raspberries in coffee, or pineapple on steak.
-Ideas and possibilities energize me, and once I get going on a tangent its hard to get me shut up.
-I read The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking for fun, I live for Netflix documentaries on theories about outer-space, I love writing with metaphors and images, and write essays about the importance of SwanQueen for fun.

Here's a couple sentences from my most recent story, "Outside the dark sky churned, and I quickened my pace. But with each step I took the hall stretched out longer and longer, the walls were swallowed by shadows, and the air grew cold."

Paris34

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Also after researching the visual presentation of the functions, video taping myself, and analyzing my facial expressions, I think its quite likely that I have a high Ne function. My eyes tend to move about everywhere when I'm talking and thinking, occasionally zone out, and I tend to have a much harder time remembering sensory details and articulating them than coming up with original solutions to questions.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's quite the range of types you're considering.

Paris34

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
that's quite the range of types you're considering.

Haha, yeah I know I tend to be a bit indecisive. When I was 10 it took me an hour of weighing pros and cons at the mall to decide to buy an iPod nano from the Apple store vs Radio-shack vs. fixing my iPod mini.

Is indecision linked to a type? haha

----------------edit added 7:08 PM--------------------------

Also just out of curiosity, how does Si present itself?

For example my first thought looking at my new avatar image is that the trees look like the Kellogg's frosted mini wheats, and preceded to imagine a forest made of processed sugar frosting. Then I remembered eating that cereal on vacation in a forest green ceramic bowl.

Is that an example of Si or Ne, a combination of both, or something else?

One more question: which function is notorious for thinking in images? That tends to be my default setting, thinking in pictures either from memory or generating imagery fantasy worlds from the everyday objects that surround me.

------------------edit 12:08 PM Oct. 15 ---------------------------------

Also in case this helps my enneagram triad type is 5w6, then 1w2, then 2w1

and the site gave words that describe me and I agree with all: principled, moralistic, perfectionist, self-critical, generous, helpful, selfless, loving, intelligent, cerebral, questioning.

Last edited: