• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

xSTP or xNTP?

Witch

Hi guys. I'm not sure if I'm an intuitive or a sensor. I'm CERTAIN of my P/J axis, no way I'm a J. I'm pretty sure to be a thinker. Anyway here are the facts:

xSTP:
- I've always practiced sports and I'm good at them. I have a really good balance, motor skills, reflexes, I'm a quick runner. I love to feel my body.
- I want to travel all around the world, to taste every culture, to see and touch by my own eyes and hands.
- I had serious drugs problems, ended up at the hospital last year. I'm addicted to strong sensations and don't know how to stop! Love to party, I'm not good at restraining myself.

xNTP:
- My mother says I was the most curious of her children, always asking 'why, how?'
- I'm smart. I won't be modest, I'm aware that I'm smarter than most of the population. I'll always get what I want. I twist situations all the time and I'm an expert liar :gleam:
- I've jumped from obsession to obsession as a kid. I've been into entomology since I'm 5, learning the taxonomy and latin names of insects. Then zoology, then botany. And right now it's psychology.
- I'm able to size people up in a second. I get the 'big picture' so easily, my humour is stereotypes-related, that's kinda why I love MBTI so much.

Short summary: I'm a simple person, I'll laugh with everyobdy and have a good time. I don't judge, I adapt to everything. I love learning and teaching. I get bored really easily. I believe I'm a 7w8 or 9w8, both fit me. also sp/sx or sx/sp.

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi guys. I'm not sure if I'm an intuitive or a sensor. I'm CERTAIN of my P/J axis, no way I'm a J. I'm pretty sure to be a thinker. Anyway here are the facts:

xSTP:
- I've always practiced sports and I'm good at them. I have a really good balance, motor skills, reflexes, I'm a quick runner. I love to feel my body.
- I want to travel all around the world, to taste every culture, to see and touch by my own eyes and hands.
- I had serious drugs problems, ended up at the hospital last year. I'm addicted to strong sensations and don't know how to stop! Love to party, I'm not good at restraining myself.

xNTP:
- My mother says I was the most curious of her children, always asking 'why, how?'
- I'm smart. I won't be modest, I'm aware that I'm smarter than most of the population. I'll always get what I want. I twist situations all the time and I'm an expert liar :gleam:
- I've jumped from obsession to obsession as a kid. I've been into entomology since I'm 5, learning the taxonomy and latin names of insects. Then zoology, then botany. And right now it's psychology.
- I'm able to size people up in a second. I get the 'big picture' so easily, my humour is stereotypes-related, that's kinda why I love MBTI so much.

Short summary: I'm a simple person, I'll laugh with everyobdy and have a good time. I don't judge, I adapt to everything. I love learning and teaching. I get bored really easily. I believe I'm a 7w8 or 9w8, both fit me. also sp/sx or sx/sp.

I'm going to say SP rather than NP, as you give no actual examples of Ne. :)

Don't believe the bullshit profiles that say N types are "smarter" than S types, or that S types can't see "the big picture". N types write nearly all the descriptions, so they're a teensy bit biased. :D

However, youve only said a small amount here, and it's extremely difficult to type someone's text alone. So dont take my word for it. :)

Witch

Thank you both for your quick answers! Amalie, I know sensors can be smart, but I'm more of an abstract thinker than a pragmatic person. But yeah I think my P(e) function is Se, not Ne. [MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] Would you mind explaining why Ti first? I get ISTP a lot on test results. Also your avatar rocks, Louis wain is cool.

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
Thank you both for your quick answers! Amalie, I know sensors can be smart, but I'm more of an abstract thinker than a pragmatic person. But yeah I think my P(e) function is Se, not Ne. [MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] Would you mind explaining why Ti first? I get ISTP a lot on test results. Also your avatar rocks, Louis wain is cool.

Could you explain that more? In what ways are you an abstract thinker, and not a pragmatic one? (Sensors can think abstractly. Also, I'll point out ENTPs can be pretty darn pragmatic too).

Everyone has access to both S and N functions.

Witch

I lack common sense and moderation... I think about random things (and mostly images. I paint those), I build systems for the fun of it, by abstract I mean no concrete purpose.
Edit: I know we have access to both, but we mostly use the dominant stack, no?

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
I lack common sense and moderation... I think about random things (and mostly images. I paint those), I build systems for the fun of it, by abstract I mean no concrete purpose.
Edit: I know we have access to both, but we mostly use the dominant stack, no?

Lacking common sense and moderation doesn't make you an N, but an idiot. Welcome to the club. :D

All types can be random, but especially EPs.

'Abstract' doesn't mean "to no concrete purpose". Concrete ideas can serve no purpose whatever, and Abstract ideas can be very important in everyday life.

Also, we don't "use" the functions. You can't switch them on and off at will. :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hey, @Witch. :)

The difference between STP and NTP will mostly be in the realm of whether you attend to the present and the potential for concrete action/influence (Se), or to the abstract future and its theoretical possibilities (Ne).

As Amalie pointed out, random is the nature of ExxP, and building systems for fun is hallmark TP. Lacking common sense is probably more indicative of N, but if you're on board with Se, I've seen ESxPs miss the common sense boat often enough. ;) My STP little brother is major chem, medicine, and sports car nerd, if that gives you an indication that STPs can be rather surprisingly knowledge about a wealth of subjects. They do more often tend to lean toward the useful end of the spectrum.

Sounds like you have some strong tert Fe working full-throttle for you, lol.

And I think you sound a good bit more 7 than 9...

Also, we don't "use" the functions. You can't switch them on and off at will. :)

Interesting. Personally I actually typically do say "use" with functions because I understand them as cognitive processes/patterns - essentially thinking sequences - we engage. I believe we have the ability to run (or halt) them at any time but perhaps not the awareness to do so.

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hey, @Witch. :)

The difference between STP and NTP will mostly be in the realm of whether you attend to the present and the potential for concrete action/influence (Se), or to the abstract future and its theoretical possibilities (Ne).

As Amalie pointed out, random is the nature of ExxP, and building systems for fun is hallmark TP. Lacking common sense is probably more indicative of N, but if you're on board with Se, I've seen ESxPs miss the common sense boat often enough. ;) My STP little brother is major chem, medicine, and sports car nerd, if that gives you an indication that STPs can be rather surprisingly knowledge about a wealth of subjects. They do more often tend to lean toward the useful end of the spectrum.

Sounds like you have some strong tert Fe working full-throttle for you, lol.

And I think you sound a good bit more 7 than 9...

Interesting. Personally I actually typically do say "use" with functions because I understand them as cognitive processes/patterns - essentially thinking sequences - we engage. I believe we have the ability to run (or halt) them at any time but perhaps not the awareness to do so.

I can't really reply to your final paragraph because I'm not exactly sure what you mean. :) Also, I'm not sure this is the right place for this conversation haha (it will just confuse beginners trying to learn their type, and that's not good!).

Feel free to private message me. :)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say ISTP, which can of course be highly intelligent and curious as a Ti-dom. INTPs are quite spacey about the concrete world and the one's I've known have a little inclination towards sensory hyper-sensitivities and rigidities with their tertiary-Si. You describe a great deal more command of the concrete world, which is indicative of ISTP.

Also, the "sizing people up easily" could be from your inner, little INFJ Ni-Fe. INFJs have a little inner MacGuyver with their Ti-Se lower functions. INTPs have rather strong "theory of mind' empathy and can make sense of others, but it is mostly done through their experience and logic and not their intuition.

Witch

[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] If I have Fe in tertiary that would make me an ExTP... Which sounds fine with me. I'm really extraverted but I need a lot of time on my own to recharge. [MENTION=9798]Amalie[/MENTION]Muller skylights is actually right. You can't switch functions on and off, because they don't work alone but instead form a pattern. For example Se works with Ni, and Ne with Si. Also this is the very right place for having this discussion because I'm no beginners :) I understand very well the MBTI system. You have 4 kinds of functions: P(i) (Si, Ni)/ P(e) (Se,Ne)/ J(i) (Ti, Fi)/ J(e) (Te, Fe). We call J types the 'judging' types because they have a J(e) function in their dominant stack, so as their dominant or auxiliary function. Following the logic we call P types Perceiving because they have a P(e) function in their dominant stack.
I'll repeat myself know sensors can be as smart as intuitive, but it's not the same type of intelligence. When I think of Ne I see quick comprehension of broad knowledge, you link everything together.
[MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION] Sizing people up is a ENFP/ENTP/ESTP thing first I believe. They are the most observant types. How would you describe the INFJ way of 'sizing up' ?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=22591]Witch[/MENTION]

Portrait of an INFJ
"INFJs have uncanny insight into people and situations. They get "feelings" about things and intuitively understand them. As an extreme example, some INFJs report experiences of a psychic nature, such as getting strong feelings about there being a problem with a loved one, and discovering later that they were in a car accident. This is the sort of thing that other types may scorn and scoff at, and the INFJ themself does not really understand their intuition at a level which can be verbalized. Consequently, most INFJs are protective of their inner selves, sharing only what they choose to share when they choose to share it. They are deep, complex individuals, who are quite private and typically difficult to understand. INFJs hold back part of themselves, and can be secretive."

I would personally describe it as Ni providing a primarily intuitive perception of reality that is internally organizing into core concepts, and Fe takes in all the external, subjective data about people. If the INFJ has a Ni that is calibrated well enough to reality, then they can be unusually accurate in sizing up people. I would say that one thing that helps me to achieve accuracy in responding sizing up people is my reluctance to start with specificity and to get a generalized impression of the person that gradually moves toward specificity. I am comfortable dealing in approximations.

I think the main difference between INFJ Ni-dom intuition and ENXP Ne-dom is that the INFJ is more inclined towards an empathetic, experiential insight into others, rather than a cognitive one. I don't notice if someone is anxious, I feel it.

Witch

[MENTION=22591]Witch[/MENTION]

Portrait of an INFJ
"INFJs have uncanny insight into people and situations. They get "feelings" about things and intuitively understand them. As an extreme example, some INFJs report experiences of a psychic nature, such as getting strong feelings about there being a problem with a loved one, and discovering later that they were in a car accident. This is the sort of thing that other types may scorn and scoff at, and the INFJ themself does not really understand their intuition at a level which can be verbalized. Consequently, most INFJs are protective of their inner selves, sharing only what they choose to share when they choose to share it. They are deep, complex individuals, who are quite private and typically difficult to understand. INFJs hold back part of themselves, and can be secretive."

Yeah I knew that, I asked for a more personal vision hehe :wink: ExTP types will size people up from actual facts, appearances, all the details of a person forming 'a vibe' (I do this very quiclky, I used to be a real social chameleon and get people essences in a second). Well that's how I would describe it...

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] If I have Fe in tertiary that would make me an ExTP... Which sounds fine with me. I'm really extraverted but I need a lot of time on my own to recharge. [MENTION=9798]Amalie[/MENTION]Muller skylights is actually right. You can't switch functions on and off, because they don't work alone but instead form a pattern. For example Se works with Ni, and Ne with Si. Also this is the very right place for having this discussion because I'm no beginners :) I understand very well the MBTI system. You have 4 kinds of functions: P(i) (Si, Ni)/ P(e) (Se,Ne)/ J(i) (Ti, Fi)/ J(e) (Te, Fe). We call J types the 'judging' types because they have a J(e) function in their dominant stack, so as their dominant or auxiliary function. Following the logic we call P types Perceiving because they have a P(e) function in their dominant stack.
I'll repeat myself know sensors can be as smart as intuitive, but it's not the same type of intelligence. When I think of Ne I see quick comprehension of broad knowledge, you link everything together.
[MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION] Sizing people up is a ENFP/ENTP/ESTP thing first I believe. They are the most observant types. How would you describe the INFJ way of 'sizing up' ?

I have no reply to your reference to me, as it seems pretty obvious. :)

When it comes to sizing people up, you are right to say ENTPs, ENFPs, and ESTPs are very skilled at this. However, you miss out the other EP type, the ESFPs. ESFPs are just as socially intelligent as the other three.
[MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION] is correct to say Ni doms are also skilled at sizing people up. However, their Ni is not always very reliable, though the INJ is not naturally inclined to question their insights (they can keep believing a person is the way they originally thought, no matter what the new evidence says). EPs tend not to fall into this trap so much. So yes, INJs can and do have quick insights into people that can border on genius at times -- but this is at best a sometimes thing, as their intuitions are pretty hit-or-miss.

Also, dominant F types with intuition can be exceptionally good at sizing people up -- ENFJs and INFPs. Though each in very different ways.

Witch

Well ESFPs are socially intelligent too but I noticed their Se is more oriented on fun and their environnement, they are not really prone to analysis. ENFPs and ENTPs are the best at it, ESTP are great too because of their auxiliary Ti... *imo

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well ESFPs are socially intelligent too but I noticed their Se is more oriented on fun and their environnement, they are not really prone to analysis. ENFPs and ENTPs are the best at it, ESTP are great too because of their auxiliary Ti... *imo

Anti-ESFP stereotype nonsense.

What you just said about Se could relate equally to ESTPs, not to mention ENPs (in a different way).

Ti-Fe doesn't give you an advantage for understanding/analyzing people over Fi-Te.

Witch

Anti-ESFP stereotype nonsense.

What you just said about Se could relate equally to ESTPs, not to mention ENPs (in a different way).

Ti-Fe doesn't give you an advantage for understanding/analyzing people over Fi-Te.

Woah there, that was not Anti-ESFP at all. I am just expressing my opinion which is that Se and Fi together is not prone to objective analysis. There is some ESFPs who like doing it but I noticed MOST OF THEM are subjective because they are Feelers. That is not a bad or good thing... Yes Se is BASICALLY oriented toward the environnement and in some ways, having fun, but ESTPs have auxiliary Ti which is more objective than Fi. Every trait we've been talking about could be referred as stereotypes...

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
Woah there, that was not Anti-ESFP at all. I am just expressing my opinion which is that Se and Fi together is not prone to objective analysis. There is some ESFPs who like doing it but I noticed MOST OF THEM are subjective because they are Feelers. That is not a bad or good thing... Yes Se is BASICALLY oriented toward the environnement and in some ways, having fun, but ESTPs have auxiliary Ti which is more objective than Fi. Every trait we've been talking about could be referred as stereotypes...

ESTPs and ESFPs are both equally objective, because they have Se as a dominant function (which is very objective). Ti and Fi are both very subjective functions. So, for example, the average ESFPs worldview is more "objective" than the average INTPs worldview, even though the INTP is a dominant Thinking type.

Fi and Ti are both subjective-analytical functions, they just analyze different things for different criteria.

Witch

ESTPs and ESFPs are both equally objective, because they have Se as a dominant function (which is very objective). Ti and Fi are both very subjective functions. So, for example, the average ESFPs worldview is more "objective" than the average INTPs worldview, even though the INTP is a dominant Thinking type.

Fi and Ti are both subjective-analytical functions, they just analyze different things for different criteria.

I agree with everything you just said. Ti and Fi are both subjective function but I see Ti as more detached than Fi and for me, it is necessary for good analysis. Thank you for discussing with me that was interesting :D

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree with everything you just said. Ti and Fi are both subjective function but I see Ti as more detached than Fi and for me, it is necessary for good analysis. Thank you for discussing with me that was interesting :D

No problem. :)

I still don't think ESTPs have an advantage over ESFPs when it comes to understanding people though. They just approach it in VERY different ways (it's actually a question of Ti-Fe vs. Fi-Te more than anything else).

Ti-Fe seeks to find commonalities and patterns between all kinds if people, to understand humanity as a whole. These types go for BREADTH of human understanding, and the masters of this are the ENFJs.

Fi-Te seeks very personal knowledge of what it is to be a human being, and leads to you trying to get a very deep understanding of yourself, and the people you find important (not necessarily because you like them). Fi-Te is extremely individualistic, and develops an understanding of humanity by looking into a few cases in great DEPTH, and using this as a foundation. The masters of this style are the INFPs.

I don't really want to write a longer post in my phone, so I'll leave it there haha.