• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Some type of extraverted thinker...or possibly IXTP

RomanceIsDead

Enneagram
I consistently test ESTP and ENTJ. I look at this chart on celebrity types comparing the two and I have no idea which of them best describes my own personality. This in turn has me looking up other types like ISTP or ESTJ to try and fill the voids. In fact, let me explain the voids and maybe you can help me understand what they mean.

#1 : Due to various mental barriers I come across much more reserved at times than I really am. For example I am an enneagram 3w4 or 8w7. The image focus of enneagram 3 causes me to be censor myself far more than I would around people that I know very well. When I am actually being myself I have a choleric temperment. However, people do often see me as phlegmatic. For example, everyone says I come across as calm cool and relaxed but I am anything but this. Some people close to me understand this. I once was in a fight with a close friend and he said to me angrily, "you have never been chill, you've always lived for conflict". I admired the first part of this insult because he actually understood me and not just the external, superficial mask that most people see me as.

#2 I like abstract, big picture topics more than day to day conversations. Unfortunately this is a trait of both Ti and Ni so it doesn't do me any good to understand this since both of my potential secondary functions are intellectual. I have always been naturally good at anything I pick up and start doing. I tend to be very tactical about games or even in life. I procrastinate because I know I can always find a solution and I always do. I just graduated with a degree in engineering and spent a good deal of time procrastinating throughout the education. However, this is a trait I see in both ENTJ and ESTP so I'm not sure if this is useful.

#3 I considered ENTP but I'm just not as excitable as all my ENTP friends. I'm also a natural leader where my ENTP friends are natural schmoozers. I considered ISTP but I am too high strung, same with INTP. I am also extremely competitive although I try to hide it. If I am losing I will trash talk and you will notice bouts of rage. I love one-upmanship and if I'm not careful my natural method of speaking is usually like arguing. This can make my ESFJ mother very upset if I am not careful.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I consistently test ESTP and ENTJ. I look at this chart on celebrity types comparing the two and I have no idea which of them best describes my own personality. This in turn has me looking up other types like ISTP or ESTJ to try and fill the voids. In fact, let me explain the voids and maybe you can help me understand what they mean.

#1 : Due to various mental barriers I come across much more reserved at times than I really am. For example I am an enneagram 3w4 or 8w7. The image focus of enneagram 3 causes me to be censor myself far more than I would around people that I know very well. When I am actually being myself I have a choleric temperment. However, people do often see me as phlegmatic. For example, everyone says I come across as calm cool and relaxed but I am anything but this. Some people close to me understand this. I once was in a fight with a close friend and he said to me angrily, "you have never been chill, you've always lived for conflict". I admired the first part of this insult because he actually understood me and not just the external, superficial mask that most people see me as.

#2 I like abstract, big picture topics more than day to day conversations. Unfortunately this is a trait of both Ti and Ni so it doesn't do me any good to understand this since both of my potential secondary functions are intellectual. I have always been naturally good at anything I pick up and start doing. I tend to be very tactical about games or even in life. I procrastinate because I know I can always find a solution and I always do. I just graduated with a degree in engineering and spent a good deal of time procrastinating throughout the education. However, this is a trait I see in both ENTJ and ESTP so I'm not sure if this is useful.

#3 I considered ENTP but I'm just not as excitable as all my ENTP friends. I'm also a natural leader where my ENTP friends are natural schmoozers. I considered ISTP but I am too high strung, same with INTP. I am also extremely competitive although I try to hide it. If I am losing I will trash talk and you will notice bouts of rage. I love one-upmanship and if I'm not careful my natural method of speaking is usually like arguing. This can make my ESFJ mother very upset if I am not careful.

You seem more ESTP.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You sound more 8w7 than 3w4 to me from what you said, like as one-upmanship, having faith in your ability to get shit done, bouts of rage (3s prefer to keep a cooler exterior), high strung, etc. My best friend is an ENFJ 3w2 and she never really procrastinates, doesn't like to show her negative emotions (this would be off even for a 3w4), and is more accommodating. You also seem very aware of the facade you give off to others, while to 3s this is mostly unconscious because a 3 will be whatever a 3 wants to be.

From how you describe yourself - choleric, take charge, competitive, etc - I would say you can narrow down your type to an In Charge type (interaction styles wise). So ESTJ, ENTJ, ESTP, and ENFJ. Nothing you wrote really struck me as ExFJ either so that can be crossed off.

Even though ESTP and ISTPs are theoretically the only P types who are Directive over Responsive (while ESFJ and ISFJ are the only J types who are Responsive over Directive), I would say you roll with the punches unusually often for an ExxJ type. I haven't really seen any functional preference in your description, but based off of this reasoning I'm going with ESTP too.

TL;DR: ESTP 8w7 ??/?? - my best shot at your instinctual stacking is sp/so or so/sp.

RomanceIsDead

Enneagram
You sound more 8w7 than 3w4 to me from what you said, like as one-upmanship, having faith in your ability to get shit done, bouts of rage (3s prefer to keep a cooler exterior), high strung, etc. My best friend is an ENFJ 3w2 and she never really procrastinates, doesn't like to show her negative emotions (this would be off even for a 3w4), and is more accommodating. You also seem very aware of the facade you give off to others, while to 3s this is mostly unconscious because a 3 will be whatever a 3 wants to be.

From how you describe yourself - choleric, take charge, competitive, etc - I would say you can narrow down your type to an In Charge type (interaction styles wise). So ESTJ, ENTJ, ESTP, and ENFJ. Nothing you wrote really struck me as ExFJ either so that can be crossed off.

Even though ESTP and ISTPs are theoretically the only P types who are Directive over Responsive (while ESFJ and ISFJ are the only J types who are Responsive over Directive), I would say you roll with the punches unusually often for an ExxJ type. I haven't really seen any functional preference in your description, but based off of this reasoning I'm going with ESTP too.

TL;DR: ESTP 8w7 ??/?? - my best shot at your instinctual stacking is sp/so or so/sp.

Thanks, I'm pretty impressed with your ability to read into those paragraphs so well. I think you can understand where I'm coming from as far as my confusion goes. The one reason I cannot relate to ISTP is the sincere "I don't care what other people think" aura they have. I give one too many f**ks if you know what I mean. I really try not to show it though and I do a good job rationalizing my way out of caring. I also think Ti is stronger for Te with me. I find it more difficult than most people to speak in absolutes about the way things should be done. And this is probably the trait that I see in myself most that signifies Ti > Te (or TP over TJ if you don't buy into functions)...see I did it again. :dry:

Anyways, I usually test 3 and 8 equally so I wouldn't be too shocked about 8w7. I would guess sp/so could sort of "rule out" the car salesman ESTP stereotype which makes me probably look more ISTP to most people.

RomanceIsDead

Enneagram
Still on the fence about introversion/extroversion. I didn't socialize a whole lot in high school so I had to catch up to my peers in college. I played a lot of multiplayer video games so I'm not sure if those qualify as extrovert or introvert activities. I would also have friends over quite often to game and I tend to talk a lot when there is some medium between me and the people I'm conversing with. I.e. a TV screen, board game, or a bottle of beer :). Just sitting around talking at a campfire I'm likely to be the quiet one because people are talking about mundane things. Most ESTPs I know are happy to talk about anything as long as they get to display their enthusiasm. I like to control the flow of conversations but when I lack the ability to do so its very frustrating.

Either I am an enneagram 8w7 ISTP that is rather high strung, loves to debate, and wishes he had better social mobility or...

...I'm an ESTP that didn't properly develop all their social skills and is left filling the ISTP role when socializing. Yes, I find myself seeking social situations only to find that once I enter the situation (around new people and larger groups) most of the time--not always--I enter them I am left drained because I am unable to create a positive fun experience.