• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what mtbi type does this describe?

Meursault

i have always tested infp on mtbi tests, but i've never felt that the descriptions of infps remind me very much of myself at all, bits and pieces of them do a little bit, more so if i am sad at the time, but all together not so much.

but the following description describes me to a "t" and i am curious to see what type you would give it; and if you are an NF, whether you feel this describes you at all, esp. if you are an infp. i am the shy version mostly, but depending on the circumstances i can be very much like the outgoing version too (though less so lately). it's a long description, sorry for that, i highlighted the key parts.

They possess strong and attractive personalities. They fall into two principle types: one shy, sensitive, gentle and patient; the other exuberant, lively and exhibitionist, sometimes hiding the considerable depths of their character under a cloak of frivolity.

Both types are strong willed and forceful in their different ways and have strong convictions, though as they seek truth above all things, they are usually honest enough to change their opinions, however firmly held, if evidence comes to light which persuades them that they have been mistaken. They have a breadth of vision that brings diverse factors into a whole, and can see both sides of an argument without shilly-shallying as to which side to take.

Consequently they are unprejudiced and tolerant of other points of view. This is because they can see the validity of the argument, even if they do not accept it themselves. They obey the Quaker exhortation to "Be open to truth, from whatever source it comes," and are prepared to learn from everyone.

Both types are humane, frank, serious minded, genial, refined, sometimes ethereal, and idealistic, though this last quality is tempered with a sensible practicality. They are quick, active and persevering without being self-assertive, and express themselves with reason, moderation and sometimes, a dry humor.

They are nearly always intelligent, concise, clear and logical. Many are strongly imaginative and psychically intuitive. Their philosophical and spiritual bent may be dangerous in that it can drive the subjects into an ivory-tower existence where they meditate on abstractions that bear little relevance to life. On the other hand it can help the many who have scientific leanings to combine these with their yearning for the universal recognition of the brotherhood of man, and to embark on scientific research to fulfill their philanthropic ideals of benefiting mankind.

When some cause or work of this nature inspires them, they are capable of such devotion to it that they may drive themselves to the point of exhaustion and even risk injuring their health

Both types need to retire from the world at times and to become temporary loners. They appreciate opportunities for meditation or, if they are religious, of retreats. Even in company they are fiercely independent, refusing to follow the crowd. They dislike interference by others, however helpfully intended, and will accept it only on their own terms. Normally they have good taste in drama, music and art, and are also gifted in the arts, especially drama.

In spite of the often intensely magnetic, forthcoming and open personality of the more extrovert kind of Aquarian, and of their desire to help humanity, neither type makes friends easily. They sometimes appear to condescend to others and take too little trouble to cultivate the acquaintance of people who do not particularly appeal to them.

They do not give themselves easily - perhaps their judgment of human nature is too good for that - and are sometimes accounted cold. But once they decide that someone is worthy of their friendship or love, they can exert an almost hypnotic and irresistible mental attraction on them and will themselves become tenacious friends or lovers, ready to sacrifice everything for their partners and be faithful to them for life. However, they are sometimes disappointed emotionally because their own high personal ideals cause them to demand more of others than is reasonable. And if they are deceived their anger is terrible.

If disillusioned, they do not forgive.

Among the faults to which they are liable are fanatical eccentricity, wayward egotism, excessive detachment and an inclination to retreat from life and society, and a tendency to be extremely dogmatic in their opinions. Circumstances - for example, continuous opposition to a cause they hold dear - may cause the atrophy of the openness of mind that is one of the their most attractive traits.

They may express a lack of integrity in broken promises, secretiveness or cunning. Simmering anger and resentment, rudeness or, worse, a tense, threatening silence which may suddenly burst out in eruptions of extreme temper, these are all part of the negative side of this group. This can also reveal itself in a sustained hatred for enemies that is capable of enlarging itself into a misanthropy toward the whole of mankind.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There's a theory someone said somewhere: If you're unsure which you are, you're an INFP. It's not very often that INFJs question whether they are INFPs or not.

Also, there's a function assessment test somewhere here in which the results tell you which functions you are using the most. For you, Ne and Fi will probably be the highest. Odds are you are an INFP.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
The bolded parts sound like an INTJ description.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This sounded like an INFP description.

Shy, sensitive, internally focused corresponds with the Fi, and the exhibitionist aspect to the type corresponds with the Ne.

INFPs, just like INTPs tend to vascillate between solitary, low-energy approach to life and this wild, erratic force that needs to go on adventures incessantly just to stay stimulated.

Visit my
'Help with your type' thread, or PM me if you'd like to take this further, more than likely I'll have your type sorted out for you in less than a day.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sounds INFJ to me.

Yes, I would go with INFJ way past INFP on this.

But I can see why Zergling suggested INTJ. I searched the paragraphs for things that differentiate T/F and there were not as many as I thought.

At least things can be narrowed down to INxJ, though I still favor INFJ.

BW, you really need to base your guess on more than the first paragraph of the description.

Meursault

The bolded parts sound like an INTJ description.

that's what i was afraid of. :blush:

it is a description of my astrological sign: Aquarius. it isn't the best description of aquarians out there but it is ok--the only thing this one doesn't capture that better ones do, is the playfulness aspect...as long as i am comfortable i can be like a playful little sprite. (carebear said somewhere about needing playmates, what he said sounds very much like me).

i am not bossy so much as opinionated---if i have an opinion and am genuinely curious, i don't act like a shrinking violet, stereo-typical, run from debate infp; but i listen to what is said and will change my mind if it makes sense...actually, i store everything and have even years later told people that i thought they were right after all about something i had originally disagreed with them. if i don't have an opinion or think something is boring, i say nothing unless forced.

the consensus seems to be that i am a "j" but the thing is i never test "j" ever, not even close. my "f" and "t" are sometimes almost 50/50 (though "f" always wins). but my "p" and my "j" are always pretty far apart.

mr or ms. bluewing, where is your thread to find out my true self?

Last edited:

Usehername

On a mission
that's what i was afraid of. :blush:

it is a description of my astrological sign: Aquarius. it isn't the best description of aquarians out there but it is ok--the only thing this one doesn't capture that better ones do, is the playfulness aspect...as long as i am comfortable i can be like a playful little sprite. (carebear said somewhere about needing playmates, what he said sounds very much like me).

i am not bossy so much as opinionated---if i have an opinion and am genuinely curious, i don't act like a shrinking violet, stereo-typical, run from debate infp; but i listen to what is said and will change my mind if it makes sense...actually, i store everything and have even years later told people that i thought they were right after all about something i had originally disagreed with them. if i don't have an opinion or think something is boring, i say nothing unless forced.

the consensus seems to be that i am a "j" but the thing is i never test "j" ever, not even close. my "f" and "t" are sometimes almost 50/50 (though "f" always wins). but my "p" and my "j" are always pretty far apart.

mr or ms. bluewing, where is your thread to find out my true self?

I am an INTJ. Everything you bolded describes me.

Just because someone is INTJ doesn't mean that they don't have feeling; when you talked about "humane, frank, serious minded, genial, refined, sometimes ethereal, and idealistic, though this last quality is tempered with a sensible practicality."... actually, I won't quote all the things.

I'd read the geocities INTJ description; maybe you might find you recognize yourself there more? INTJ - The Free-Thinker
Everything you bolded describes me.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I identify with significant portions of that. However, I'm an Aries. I think horoscopes of necessity are guilty of exploiting the Forer effect.

heart

heart on fire

My opinion is INFP but with developing Te. You might find this post helpful.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
It resembles the description of two persons, other with moderate E, other with moderate I. Both persons have strong T and F, so they dont describe any one MBTI type the way we've used to see.

it's IN*J and EN*J, * marking the existence of both T and F.

those with moderate neuroticism, which is not handled that much in MBTI.

Meursault

It resembles the description of two persons, other with moderate E, other with moderate I. Both persons have strong T and F, so they dont describe any one MBTI type the way we've used to see.

it's IN*J and EN*J, * marking the existence of both T and F.

those with moderate neuroticism, which is not handled that much in MBTI.

my f and my t are almost 50/50 on every test i have taken but the f is always a little more--would this account for it?

i do not think i am a J, i have too hard a time with Js

sometimes i do wonder if i am really just a damaged enfp...but i haven't really dealt with enough infps or enfps in real life to know if i am like them or not--two of my most favorite people ever where exfps (i think Ss but not sure) and a third was an entp...

the socionics description of an infp is pretty accurate for me, the only one i identify with...though i noticed on infpgc that it was voted "least accurate" but i don't identify very strongly with them... :-/

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the socionics description of an infp is pretty accurate for me, the only one i identify with...though i noticed on infpgc that it was voted "least accurate" but i don't identify very strongly with them... :-/

Typically, a Socionics infp = MBTI infj.

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
I identified with a lot of it, but I could also see a lot of INTJ in the description.

Meursault, how do you view a damaged ENFP? it was your bolded parts I identified with most in the description.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
The bolded text in the description describes Ni more than anything else to me. As to J vs P. I have issues with many test questions focusing more on the neat, tidy, external organization qualities and doesn't address mental structure which is what INxJ is mostly about.

Side note: I'm a J, but testing typically say I'm a P more than a J.

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm pretty sure they were referring to the INFP. The following stuck out to me as very INFP.

Even in company they are fiercely independent, refusing to follow the crowd.
(INFJs don't follow the crowd either but they don't have a compulsion for it that I see in INFPs, where sometimes they refuse to follow the crowd for the idea of being unique in itself.

They dislike interference by others, however helpfully intended, and will accept it only on their own terms.

(INFPs are some of the worse people in accepting criticism - especially if it's related to something creative they take pride in; their writing for instance)

Normally they have good taste in drama, music and art, and are also gifted in the arts, especially drama.
(They tend to be, in my opinion, the most talented in the creative arts of all types, especially creative writing)

They sometimes appear to condescend to others and take too little trouble to cultivate the acquaintance of people who do not particularly appeal to them.
(INFJs are typically not nearly as condescending as the INFP)

Simmering anger and resentment, rudeness or, worse, a tense, threatening silence which may suddenly burst out in eruptions of extreme temper

(This is somewhat true of all introverts, but I think INFPs are more guilty of this than most)

In spite of the often intensely magnetic, forthcoming and open personality of the more extrovert kind of Aquarian

(Could be just coincidence, but most INFPs I know are far more outgoing than the INFJs I know and genuinely seem to enjoy the spotlight, if they're around people they like; I've never seen an INFJ exhibit this behavior, even temporarily)

sometimes disappointed emotionally because their own high personal ideals cause them to demand more of others than is reasonable

(Both types have have high personal ideals but I think the INFPs typically demand more of others than an INFJ. I've had several INFPs blow up at me, and others close to them, because we weren't being "good friends". The INFJs didn't expect as much out of me, because they knew me better and are generally more self reliant, emotionally)

Meursault

I identified with a lot of it, but I could also see a lot of INTJ in the description.

Meursault, how do you view a damaged ENFP? it was your bolded parts I identified with most in the description.

well, i dunno really, but sometimes the enfp description seems more like me...a damaged enfp i guess would hide from the world like an infp, but not because they were created that way but because of what life did to them, so it wouldn't really be natural for them, because they are really an E not an I...so probably they would get a little bit crazy...*shrugs*

Typically, a Socionics infp = MBTI infj.

i've heard about the p and j being reversed on socionics but the descriptions of what is p and what is j seemed the same as mbti, and when i took the test at socionics i came up infp there too...why do people say the p and j at socionics are reversed?

meanlittlechimp--i've only known one other infp in real life that i am aware of--he seemed a lot like me and was very easy for me to interact with, but we didn't know each other well, so most of the things you highlighted from my original post were not apparent...

out of curiosity: how many of the posters here are in their 30s or older? i am wondering if a lot of people's impressions of types are age-determinant.

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
meanlittlechimp--i've only known one other infp in real life that i am aware of--he seemed a lot like me and was very easy for me to interact with, but we didn't know each other well, so most of the things you highlighted from my original post were not apparent...

I would have never known the things about the INFPs I was speaking of until I became close to them. Before I became close to them, they actually seemed like sharp witted, good natured, extroverts with insatiable thirst for knowledge, but especially in the humanities. I never would have imagined the darker side of them, until I lived with one for 4 years.

Oh and I agree with the other poster, every INFJ I know is sure of their type once they familiarize themselves with MBTI. I notice many INFPs confuse themselves with INFJ, but I actually think the ENFP is more like the INFP than the INFJ.