• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP or INFP?

Erintopia

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am certain this topic has been approached before, but I'll ask again. How do I know if I am truly ENFP or INFP? I have tested ENFP everywhere...but I was raised by an ISFP and and ESFJ. Both lead Fi and Fe. I feel like in my relationship w/ my ENTJ spouse; I am all Fi lead. It's really hard for me to see any kind of possibility with him in our encounters anymore because I know how the encounters will go. If I know how something is going to go time after time, then I'll stop trying to dig for a new way around the interaction and just go w/ what is routine. (It probably comes from years and years and years of trying to pull a little empathy out of his backpack.) With the general public I find myself Ne-ing the crap out of "what if" w/ regard to relationships. I also have no problem with problem sovling or coming up w/ ideas if it has to do with anyone BUT myself. I'm kind of funny that way. :cry: My Ne focuses greatly on the dynamic w/in relationship possibilities and ideas on how to make my relationships better. I am also a 4w5 7w6 9w1. I am new to enneagram, but it took me about a year to really nail down whether or not I was a 4 or a 9.

My sister IS in fact INFP all the way around. I feel like she definitely plays the cards closer to her chest than I do. She's VERY intelligent. I know she has feels. All INFPs have them as deeply as any ENFP or NF for that matter....but sometimes I think INFPs are better at guarding or hiding them. That being said, I read a lot of stereotyping comments across FB (recently deactivated my acct after many years. Needed a break.) and other forums about INFPs. I guess it's just hard for me to tell at times what I lead with because % wise my Fe/Fi tend to be very close along w/ my Ne/Ni....my Perceiving is quite a bit higher than my Judging function and my E/I is pretty balanced as well. I'm one of the more shy ENFPs. I find I will defend ideas and people equally if there is a reason to do so. Keep in mind I've been tested professionally. I don't answer like I think I should answer. I answer to how I am and how I hear others perceive that I am.....but I find I am not the stereotypical bubbly, bouncy, puppy-like ENFP. I am quite serious...and maybe that's what I am struggling with....the idea that ENFPs look or act a certain way, when for so many of us it's just not the case. I also personally think male ENFPs behave differently from female ENFPs. (Don't worry I realize people can take that as a sexist comment....it's not meant to be one...it's just my personal opinion and observation of different ENFPs in the same room, over the years.) Do you think type is fluid in that we can rely on one function over another? I know I am extroverted simply because I draw my best energy around people in idea think tanks. That is when I am happiest....in a group setting discussing any old idea and forming plans and goals. I know my weaknesses and have learned to utilize help in the going the distance and finishing a project part of any goal. I think part of growing up is just learning what you're good at, and what you're not good at; then fully accepting it and learning to work w/ what is. (I am very good at doling out responsibilities to those I know can do well at different points in a project.)

That being said, in my love relationships I've always lead w/ my feels more than my Ne...the Ne was rampant in the beginning for sure; but as I settled in I notice that I'm dealing more w/ Fi than Ne. Does that an INFP make?

Soooooo in your opinion what are the biggest differences between ENFP and INFP, typically?

Last edited by a moderator:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol just based on your writing style i'm gonna go with ENFP. all your little asides and parenthetical comments seem very Ne to me. also speaking of your INFP sister holding her cards closer makes me feel ENFP might be right for you.

Erintopia

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
:) Maybe that's the Ne curse...seeing how one could fit into various types. Thanks for your response.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Socionics - the16types.info - MBTI: Form of the Inferior Function

Perhaps this may be of some use. You seem to have decided on ENFP for the time being, so this is just in case you wanted some additional info or way to discern.

Additionally, from what I have observed with the 2 ENFP's in my life, Pe(in this case Ne) accepts then screens with Fi, Ji(In this case Fi) screens first then accepts.

Also, if your enneagram typing is correct it would indeed stand to reason that you would be a more introverted ENFP, as 4 is a withdrawn type.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
What helped me a lot was looking at the Inferior function, so you might want to read up on Inferior Te (INFP) and then Inferior Si (ENFP).

yeghor

I am certain this topic has been approached before, but I'll ask again. How do I know if I am truly ENFP or INFP? I have tested ENFP everywhere...but I was raised by an ISFP and and ESFJ. Both lead Fi and Fe. I feel like in my relationship w/ my ENTJ spouse; I am all Fi lead. It's really hard for me to see any kind of possibility with him in our encounters anymore because I know how the encounters will go. If I know how something is going to go time after time, then I'll stop trying to dig for a new way around the interaction and just go w/ what is routine. (It probably comes from years and years and years of trying to pull a little empathy out of his backpack.) With the general public I find myself Ne-ing the crap out of "what if" w/ regard to relationships. I also have no problem with problem sovling or coming up w/ ideas if it has to do with anyone BUT myself. I'm kind of funny that way. :cry: My Ne focuses greatly on the dynamic w/in relationship possibilities and ideas on how to make my relationships better. I am also a 4w5 7w6 9w1. I am new to enneagram, but it took me about a year to really nail down whether or not I was a 4 or a 9.

My sister IS in fact INFP all the way around. I feel like she definitely plays the cards closer to her chest than I do. She's VERY intelligent. I know she has feels. All INFPs have them as deeply as any ENFP or NF for that matter....but sometimes I think INFPs are better at guarding or hiding them. That being said, I read a lot of stereotyping comments across FB (recently deactivated my acct after many years. Needed a break.) and other forums about INFPs. I guess it's just hard for me to tell at times what I lead with because % wise my Fe/Fi tend to be very close along w/ my Ne/Ni....my Perceiving is quite a bit higher than my Judging function and my E/I is pretty balanced as well. I'm one of the more shy ENFPs. I find I will defend ideas and people equally if there is a reason to do so. Keep in mind I've been tested professionally. I don't answer like I think I should answer. I answer to how I am and how I hear others perceive that I am.....but I find I am not the stereotypical bubbly, bouncy, puppy-like ENFP. I am quite serious...and maybe that's what I am struggling with....the idea that ENFPs look or act a certain way, when for so many of us it's just not the case. I also personally think male ENFPs behave differently from female ENFPs. (Don't worry I realize people can take that as a sexist comment....it's not meant to be one...it's just my personal opinion and observation of different ENFPs in the same room, over the years.) Do you think type is fluid in that we can rely on one function over another? I know I am extroverted simply because I draw my best energy around people in idea think tanks. That is when I am happiest....in a group setting discussing any old idea and forming plans and goals. I know my weaknesses and have learned to utilize help in the going the distance and finishing a project part of any goal. I think part of growing up is just learning what you're good at, and what you're not good at; then fully accepting it and learning to work w/ what is. (I am very good at doling out responsibilities to those I know can do well at different points in a project.)

That being said, in my love relationships I've always lead w/ my feels more than my Ne...the Ne was rampant in the beginning for sure; but as I settled in I notice that I'm dealing more w/ Fi than Ne. Does that an INFP make?

Soooooo in your opinion what are the biggest differences between ENFP and INFP, typically?

Ne-dominants need constant external stimulation to keep themselves occupied, happy and distracted from their core issues.

Also, please check the thread linked in my signature.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
What helped me a lot was looking at the Inferior function, so you might want to read up on Inferior Te (INFP) and then Inferior Si (ENFP).

Unless the poster is psychologically mature (mid 20s or older) I would focus more on the tertiary function.

ENFPs will have developed Te to some extent by adulthood whereas INFPs may not use it at all.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Usually, if you have to ask: ENFP.

Also, your writing style is much more Ne. Welcome to da club.

Unless the poster is psychologically mature (mid 20s or older) I would focus more on the tertiary function.

ENFPs will have developed Te to some extent by adulthood whereas INFPs may not use it at all.

Interesting you say this, because I noticed my Te much more than my Fi during my adolescence. It kind of gave me a bit of an edge. I thought I was ENTP for a while because of this, but now ENTP seems preposterous as I enter my mid 20's. I think Te can be very noticeable in ENFP's because it's a very blunt instrument. Fi is hard to directly see.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Interesting you say this, because I noticed my Te much more than my Fi during my adolescence. It kind of gave me a bit of an edge. I thought I was ENTP for a while because of this, but now ENTP seems preposterous as I enter my mid 20's. I think Te can be very noticeable in ENFP's because it's a very blunt instrument. Fi is hard to directly see.

You are male, though. Male ENFPs and INFJs I know have a tendency to overdevalop their tertiary, get a bit loopy, and occasionally mistype.

I don't think MBTI takes gender differences in personality into account enough.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

+1

(except for mistyping as ENTP. i didn't know mbti when i was young.)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm a sorta introvertedish enfp too but living with an infp it's very clear how very differently we function.

that was a good point made up there about accepting then dissecting with fi. that's true for me for sure.

also...when ne is just like the air you breathe it's harder to recognize it sometimes...it's just like there..and we just sort of assume it's how everyone operates or something.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i'm a sorta introvertedish enfp too but living with an infp it's very clear how very differently we function.

that was a good point made up there about accepting then dissecting with fi. that's true for me for sure.

also...when ne is just like the air you breathe it's harder to recognize it sometimes...it's just like there..and we just sort of assume it's how everyone operates or something.

I get you.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The way you write and express yourself screams ENFP to me.

You're moody and feel "introverted" at times, lost at times and you analyze things until you drive yourself to a corner at times because you're type 4 wing 5.
Your type display pretty much explained it all.

But yeah, you don't sound like an INFP to me.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You describe yourself mostly in relation to other people, which makes me think extrovert.
When INFPs talk about themselves, they discuss their inner world experience & how they feel about themselves more. Your "focus" is coming through in how you write about yourself, basically.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You come off as a Ne-dom in the original post. What you said about drawing your best energy in idea think tanks seems quintessentially ENP--INPs seem to utilize their Ne much differently--they're more likely the quiet loners who, although sometimes prone to short bursts of social energy, will quietly observe and take in everything happening and being said in a think tank, process everything internally, then wait to speak their minds. ENPs, on the other hand, are more likely to speak before they think or to speak their thoughts as they form, whereas the Ne auxes seem to take their time working it all out in their head, then they might suddenly have a lot to say. I don't mean that as an insult to ENPs--it can be an endearing trait.

You can still be a shy extravert--forget any preconceived notions of what it means to be extraverted and introverted. Likewise, dominant introverted types can have their outgoing moments. Also, I don't know where the stereotype originated about ENFPs being bubbly extraverts. Most of the ones on this forum come off as surprisingly down-to-earth and mellow. The bubbly trait seems (to me at least) far more common in EFJs and the occasional brave IFJs.

yeghor

Socionics - the16types.info - MBTI: Form of the Inferior Function

Perhaps this may be of some use. You seem to have decided on ENFP for the time being, so this is just in case you wanted some additional info or way to discern.

Additionally, from what I have observed with the 2 ENFP's in my life, Pe(in this case Ne) accepts then screens with Fi, Ji(In this case Fi) screens first then accepts.

Also, if your enneagram typing is correct it would indeed stand to reason that you would be a more introverted ENFP, as 4 is a withdrawn type.

Screens according to what (filter)?

- - - Updated - - -

You describe yourself mostly in relation to other people, which makes me think extrovert.
When INFPs talk about themselves, they discuss their inner world experience & how they feel about themselves more. Your "focus" is coming through in how you write about yourself, basically.

Or Fe auxiliary.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

yeghor

Consistency with own values, consistentcy with perceived inner self, sincerity. To name a few.
I think Ne scans environment for possibilities and internalizes them, and Fi internally analyzes how that possibility would make the individual feel, where the individual feels bad about self (melancholy, depression, sadness) if the internalized possibility has a risk of misaligning/conflicting with the individual's sense of self i.e. values and preferences.

So Ne is an ego valuation and protection system. In that line, ENFPs plunge into opportunities hoping that they will make them feel good (risk taking behaviour and impulsivity) whereas INFPs first evaluate the opportunity to see if that would make them feel good about themselves, somewhat similar to what you say.

Enfps frantically seek opportunities for gratification whereas Infps cautiously seek them.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Ne scans environment for possibilities and internalizes them, and Fi internally analyzes how that possibility would make the individual feel, where the individual feels bad about self (melancholy, depression, sadness) if the internalized possibility has a risk of misaligning/conflicting with the individual's sense of self i.e. values and preferences.

So Ne is an ego valuation and protection system. In that line, ENFPs plunge into opportunities hoping that they will make them feel good (risk taking behaviour and impulsivity) whereas INFPs first evaluate the opportunity to see if that would make them feel good about themselves, somewhat similar to what you say.

Enfps frantically seek opportunities for gratification whereas Infps cautiously seek them.

I was actually more referring to how I feel each type intakes or processes info rather than how they go about pursuing opportunities with my statement. Although in this form it is applicable/close to being the same underlying principle of deliberate then pursue or pursue then deliberate. But yes, I more or less concur especially with the bold.