• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can't discern if I am an INTP or ENTP

hacbad macbar

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Extrovert or introvert? Ti or Ne? I don't know.

Nice excrpt from an article:

Q&A: The Difference Between INTP and ENTP

Q: How do I tell the difference between a shy and brooding ENTP and an INTP?

A: This is a very good question. As the truism goes, the ENTP is the “most introverted extroverted type.” Also, if you look at our ENTP page, and especially the extended content, you’ll see that it’s crawling with ENTPs who identify themselves as introverts. In terms of concrete behavior, ENTPs can often exceed INTPs in being withdrawing and shy. Likewise, since introspection is a facet of Intuition (N) and not Introversion (I), ENTPs can also be more introspective than INTPs. So how do we tell them apart?

Bold applies to me a lot.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

hacbad macbar

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
what? suppose introverts are patient, extroverts are impulsive, erratic, especially an ENTP-unpredictable to the core.

Qre:us

Extrovert or introvert? Ti or Ne? I don't know.

Nice excrpt from an article:

Q&A: The Difference Between INTP and ENTP

Q: How do I tell the difference between a shy and brooding ENTP and an INTP?

A: This is a very good question. As the truism goes, the ENTP is the “most introverted extroverted type.” Also, if you look at our ENTP page, and especially the extended content, you’ll see that it’s crawling with ENTPs who identify themselves as introverts. In terms of concrete behavior, ENTPs can often exceed INTPs in being withdrawing and shy. Likewise, since introspection is a facet of Intuition (N) and not Introversion (I), ENTPs can also be more introspective than INTPs. So how do we tell them apart?

Bold applies to me a lot.

Being extroverted does not mean you're sociable, or not shy, etc.

The main thing is to discern your preference or attitude towards an object that has come into your focus, in the outer world. The object can be a person, place, thing, etc. Anything outside of yourself, and out there, in the world.

Do you maintain a positive relation with the object? Whereby you give a lot of importance to it? And finding yourself always open to figuring out why the object is so important, and orienting yourself, your thoughts, around that? Does that invigorate you?

Or, do you find that your relation with the object is almost a point of consternation or frustration? Whereby, you have this feeling of needing to understand the object enough to just detach from the object, figure out its place, and move on to interally thinking about thoughts where the object is only a piece of a thought process, not the focus?

Imagine trying to solve a problem: for an ENTP, the object that is the focus of the problem, needs to be constantly available, to look at it from various angles, it becomes the center of the spider's web that the ENTP's mind starts to spin. While, for an INTP, the object is not necessarily the center of the spider's web, it just needs to find its place within the web that the INTP has already created. As such, the object is not valued as much. It is not, as much, a source of inspiration, as it would be for the ENTP, who pick up things already in the external environment, and figure out how to maximize its potential, while the INTP just wants to know what the potential (if any) of things in the external environment is.

It makes ENTPs quite resourceful, like ENFPs, because everything can be utilized and their potential maximized, you just have to find the right angle. It also makes them argumentative, because, once again, everything can be defended logically, if only you find the right angle. The THING, the OBJECT, becomes central to the puzzle. Caveat: ENTPs also have morals and values, which temper some of the sliding slopes such "angles" can lead them on.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Although ENTP's can enjoy time alone and INTP's can enjoy time with friends. At the end of the day, the ENTP will prefer to spend time with others, whilest the INTP will prefer to be alone and mull over their thoughts.

Generally, the difference between a drawn back and brooding ENTP and the average healthy INTP is that the INTP will feel free and refreshed while alone, while a drawn back and brooding ENTP will will feel burdened.

Although ENTP's can enjoy time alone and INTP's can enjoy time with friends. At the end of the day, the ENTP will prefer to spend time with others, whilest the INTP will prefer to be alone and mull over their thoughts.

Generally, the difference between a drawn back and brooding ENTP and the average healthy INTP is that the INTP will feel free and refreshed while alone, while a drawn back and brooding ENTP will will feel burdened.

The bolded, I don't find that true for myself at all. I love being alone (i.e., without other humans there to interact with me), as long as my external environment is providing me with stimuli, I don't need people to feel refreshed and energized.

I think a common misconception is that E/I means how you're oriented towards other people. It is not, it just means how you're oriented towards the external world, which can be one without people, and it can be one with people.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The bolded, I don't find that true for myself at all. I love being alone (i.e., without other humans there to interact with me), as long as my external environment is providing me with stimuli, I don't need people to feel refreshed and energized.

I think a common misconception is that E/I means how you're oriented towards other people. It is not, it just means how you're oriented towards the external world, which can be one without people, and it can be one with people.

Ooh, that makes a lot of sense. Though there is still a fundamental difference then between an INTP that is alone and an ENTP that is alone. As an INTP I can enjoy being along without any external stimuli as my brain will make up for that by providing internal stimuli. In fact, I prefer seeking solitude in places without any external stimuli bombardments. (Like nature for example and I dont mean I'd be in nature looking at every plant and tree and animal, but just being there in a calm and soothing environment. As I imagine an ENTP would enjoy him/herself in nature as well, but would probably be much more engaged with their surroundings.)

As an INTP I can enjoy being along without any external stimuli as my brain will make up for that by providing internal stimuli. In fact, I prefer seeking solitude in places without any external stimuli bombardments. (Like nature for example and I dont mean I'd be in nature looking at every plant and tree and animal, but just being there in a calm and soothing environment. As I imagine an ENTP would enjoy him/herself in nature as well, but would probably be much more engaged with their surroundings.)

:yes: Most definitely, that's the case (the bolded). I need external stimuli to trigger me, and get me engaged. For example, as you said, when I go into nature, I'm acutely aware of everything around me. For example, I will notice the birds, and create wild imaginitive scripts with their observed behaviour. "Oh, look, he has come back to the nest with not enough food for the kids! She's squawking at him, telling him he gets the couch tonight for such a failure!!!" Etc, etc, which can energize, stimulate, and amuse me for hours. I think a black room without a window would be torture for an ENTP.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:yes: Most definitely, that's the case (the bolded). I need external stimuli to trigger me, and get me engaged. For example, as you said, when I go into nature, I'm acutely aware of everything around me. For example, I will notice the birds, and create wild imaginitive scripts with their observed behaviour. "Oh, look, he has come back to the nest with not enough food for the kids! She's squawking at him, telling him he gets the couch tonight for such a failure!!!" Etc, etc, which can energize, stimulate, and amuse me for hours. I think a black room without a window would be torture for an ENTP.

Well, a black room without a window is kinda torture for everyone, also INTP's :D . Whilest INTP do prefer places where they can block out the external stimuli, some stimuli can still be prefered. Like a painting, you can focus on every little thing and enjoy it (ENTP), but can also choose to take in the feeling of the painting portrays and enjoy it while being busy internally (INTP). :p

hacbad macbar

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Imagine trying to solve a problem: for an ENTP, the object that is the focus of the problem, needs to be constantly available, to look at it from various angles, it becomes the center of the spider's web that the ENTP's mind starts to spin. While, for an INTP, the object is not necessarily the center of the spider's web, it just needs to find its place within the web that the INTP has already created. As such, the object is not valued as much. It is not, as much, a source of inspiration, as it would be for the ENTP, who pick up things already in the external environment, and figure out how to maximize its potential, while the INTP just wants to know what the potential (if any) of things in the external environment is.

Ok, give me the problem, and I will find a solution, to discern which way of thinking is mine.

hacbad macbar

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Problem: Solve whether hacbad macbar is an ENTP or INTP.

Let me know how it goes!

Here's how it goes:

Extravert(22%) iNtuitive(88%) Thinking(1%) Perceiving(67%)

You have slight preference of Extraversion over Introversion (22%)
You have strong preference of Intuition over Sensing (88%)
You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)
You have distinct preference of Perceiving over Judging (67%)

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Seems like the OP solved his problem but I find the bolded to be DEAD ON for me.