• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hello! What do you think my Types are?

ShadowPage

And do you think it wise for me to try figuring out my MBTI and Enneagram at the same time? :blush:

I didn't know anything about the Enneagram before four days ago, and because it's so new, I got really into it. I was more-than-a-little energetically trying to see if I could work out my number without having to go through all nine of them. :whistling: Since it's supposedly more like a way for people to work out what defense mechanisms they have developed to make their ways through life, I thought that that might simplify things a little. It didn't. Because I'm mostly sure that I've adopted an E9 perspective- alternately, I could be E6. On the four-letter type side, I still think that I largely operate with Feeling and Sensation, but that accounts for four types that split really obviously in terms of orientation. I really don't even understand Si, and I'm not exactly socially comfortable enough to feel comfortable claiming dominant/auxiliary Fe.

(Also, is there any way that I can specify that I'm talking about my type in terms of cognitive functions rather than the dichotomy typing style? Because Jungian Cognitive Functions is a lot to type repetitively.)

Here's some intel on Me (that will never stop feeling weird):

I've gotten better at it, but I'm still kind of bad at asking for help. I can think of a good number of occasions upon which I could have asked for help to do something (quicker, more easily, or maybe even avoid having had to do it at all), but I didn't. It doesn't even occur to me to ask sometimes. I've only recently been reminding myself that I can ask for help *before* I am at the end of my rope. :blush:

I kind of belatedly realized that I am NOT a planner. I can troubleshoot, I can come up with quick lists and organizational breakdowns of things as needed on the fly, but I am otherwise pretty random about stuff. Sure, part of it is that I'm kind of young, but then I think about how as soon as I know that something doesn't need my immediate attention, I will just pretend it's not an issue until I have to deal with it. At any given time, I probably have at least three loose ends I could be tying up. But I probably won't right away. I think that I have that weird backwards optimism that I'll still be able to work it out. It's funny because I'm not optimistic in the more typical "look on the bright side" way, but hoping to still be able to make magic even after a ton of procrastinating is probably optimism too, eh? :doh:

I have a weird relationship to my own energy levels. On the one hand, I can be really hyped up about things when I'm on my own, but when I'm around people, I am just way more subdued. Not even on purpose, I just am. And after a while of being out and about (especially at parties around people I don't know), I kind of wilt. So... I actively avoid socializing a lot of the time. I like to make friends and I like to get along with people, but at the same time, I find the idea of having to meet new people a little stressful.

I am pretty private. I don't like to share too much of myself with people too soon or too often. Of course, this makes it really hard for me to talk about stuff with people I meet and start to get along with, even if I do want to connect with them. I get really awkward about sharing myself.

I don't feel right debating people. I get too heated. Even if I know a respectable amount on a topic, I know that I can't get into an argument and keep it together because I'll get emotional. I love to watch other people debate and argue, though. It's a great opportunity to learn stuff, too, but I just admire people who are able to keep it together when faced with someone decrying something important to them. In the same vein, I avoid sharing my opinions aloud with others because more often than not, I have emotional or-not well thought out responses to things and I know better than to just blurt things out if I can't reasonably defend them.

I am somewhat intense about time. I hate being late for stuff. That said I will procrastinate for as long as I can before I have to leave for something to get there on time. I don't care if other people are late to something, but if they make me late, I get angry.

I'm impatient. I just don't want other people to know that I am, so I try not to show it. But I sometimes have a really hard time waiting to do things when I really want to.

It's usually my instinct to shy away from strangers, even when I find myself looking them in the eye so as to smile at them when walking past. The funny thing is, I am able to be friendlier after a while, even when I still feel really awkward and shy on the inside. I stay alert when around people but hope that nobody calls for my attention. I would prefer to spend time thinking about whatever random thought comes to mind than to strike up conversation, even though I still want to be friendly. (I don't get it, either.)

I jump to conclusions quickly, but I am also very willing to change my mind with new information. As a result, I change my mind rapidly and have a hell of a time coming down definitively on a lot of things.

At times I feel like I need to challenge flat statements I read or hear, but I rarely ever do so outwardly. Rather, I just think about a way to invalidate or contest the point and then continue whatever I was doing.

I have a competitive streak. There's good fun in playing something that I've got some skill in- especially against people I might expect to be better than me! However, I dislike it when people take competition as an excuse to be mean to the other team/s. I don't mind talking myself up, but I'm not really interested in talking other people down.

I tend to let people talk over me a lot. It's not that I feel subordinate to other people or anything, I just usually don't know if I want to say something, so I kind of just let people who are more expressive get their words out there. It really gets on my nerves when I do have something to say and I can't get a word in, though. Those are the times when I realize I care more about seeming polite than just saying what I have to say. I'm working on it, because it really does get on my nerves.

I don't like telling other people what to do. In times past I have taken on a leader role because I had knowledge about the situation at hand, but it's not something I strive for. I usually would rather be on my own- autonomous, but willing to help if asked.

In most situations with people, I put myself into a sort of background amongst the group, but I am pretty bombastic when I am actually comfortable where I am. The thing is, I'm rarely feel comfortable enough around other people. So I am most lively and energetic when I am alone. In the same token, I don't want to be controlled, scrutinized, monitored, or anything like that, so I prefer to be alone when I need to express myself.

I really hope that's a good overview. Like I mentioned before, I have an idea that I'm either E9 or E6 and ISFx (I really don't know where I come down on those functions, tbh), but I could use some impartial judgement! :D

ShadowPage

Hmm, I was always under the impression that with request threads like this, it's better procedure to stand back and see if anybody is interested. Ok, but I would like to also just point out that I'm really curious about what anyone could tell me how they read me, type wise. :smile:

Also, there is an older "what's my type thread" of mine buried deep in the archives. I thank the people who talked to me on that one, and hope that I might drum up some conversation here (I think that I give a better picture of myself this time around, at least).

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I seldom post on this site anymore. Read your post, thought about replying, decided not to (just because of my take on this site), but now see your second post. So okay, here goes:

I was struck by your E6 vs E9 comment. I'm a 6w5 in a relationship with a 9w8, and I see these two enneagram types as quite different. But I don't know how well I'll be able to put the difference into words.

First off, I can't see anything in your OP that speaks to this question. Not to say there's nothing there, but just that if there is, I can't see it. So okay, differences between 6 and 9 given my experiences:

The core differnce as I see it playing out in my own life is rooted in the initial/original loss for each type.

The E6 initial loss is "faith" - not religious faith (or certainly not for me), but rather faith that there is anything solid to stand on or count on in this world. As a 6, under certain kinds of stress, I try and often fail to find some sort of surface-level security because under stress, I increasingly feel like nothing is solid and nothing and no one can truly be counted on at any deep level.

Seems from what I've read that 6s will have very different ways of seeking for this surface level security - we seem to be known for being particularly hard to e-type because of the huge range of our behavioral coping mechanisms. But for me, the loss of access to this "faith" and seeking for surface security given that loss is at the core of the damage/coping patterns that make me an E6.

-------------------------------

The E9 initial loss is "love." I understand this less because I'm not a 9 myself and lack the deep internal reference point. But like the 6's "faith" I think this love isn't the conventional understanding of what love is. Since I don't have any internal understanding of this particular loss, I can speak more to the behavioral and externally observable manifestations of this loss in my 9 under stress. The best description of E9 I myself have ever seen is here:

Type 9: Down the Rabbit Hole

I read that, especially the first descriptive part with the layers/levels, and was like: wow wow wow, that's my E9.

-------------------------------

You may already know the above, but that's what I initially thought to write in a reply.

I hope others have things to say as well. Best wishes.

yeghor

I kind of belatedly realized that I am NOT a planner. I can troubleshoot, I can come up with quick lists and organizational breakdowns of things as needed on the fly, but I am otherwise pretty random about stuff. Sure, part of it is that I'm kind of young, but then I think about how as soon as I know that something doesn't need my immediate attention, I will just pretend it's not an issue until I have to deal with it. At any given time, I probably have at least three loose ends I could be tying up. But I probably won't right away. I think that I have that weird backwards optimism that I'll still be able to work it out. It's funny because I'm not optimistic in the more typical "look on the bright side" way, but hoping to still be able to make magic even after a ton of procrastinating is probably optimism too, eh? :doh:

^ This might be Si and enneagram 9. or Ne?

I have a weird relationship to my own energy levels. On the one hand, I can be really hyped up about things when I'm on my own, but when I'm around people, I am just way more subdued. Not even on purpose, I just am. And after a while of being out and about (especially at parties around people I don't know), I kind of wilt. So... I actively avoid socializing a lot of the time. I like to make friends and I like to get along with people, but at the same time, I find the idea of having to meet new people a little stressful.

I am pretty private. I don't like to share too much of myself with people too soon or too often. Of course, this makes it really hard for me to talk about stuff with people I meet and start to get along with, even if I do want to connect with them. I get really awkward about sharing myself.

This^ implies you are an introvert.
I don't feel right debating people. I get too heated. Even if I know a respectable amount on a topic, I know that I can't get into an argument and keep it together because I'll get emotional. I love to watch other people debate and argue, though. It's a great opportunity to learn stuff, too, but I just admire people who are able to keep it together when faced with someone decrying something important to them. In the same vein, I avoid sharing my opinions aloud with others because more often than not, I have emotional or-not well thought out responses to things and I know better than to just blurt things out if I can't reasonably defend them.

This^ suggests you have high F function. Given your introverted nature, IxFx types are possible. My bet is on ISFJ till now.

I am somewhat intense about time. I hate being late for stuff. That said I will procrastinate for as long as I can before I have to leave for something to get there on time. I don't care if other people are late to something, but if they make me late, I get angry.

I'm impatient. I just don't want other people to know that I am, so I try not to show it. But I sometimes have a really hard time waiting to do things when I really want to.

ISFJ's mirror image is ESFP. Perhaps you have suppressed ESFP side, and that's where your impulsivity and impatience might be stemming from but you have learnt to repress it outside.

It's usually my instinct to shy away from strangers, even when I find myself looking them in the eye so as to smile at them when walking past. The funny thing is, I am able to be friendlier after a while, even when I still feel really awkward and shy on the inside. I stay alert when around people but hope that nobody calls for my attention. I would prefer to spend time thinking about whatever random thought comes to mind than to strike up conversation, even though I still want to be friendly. (I don't get it, either.)

Hmmm?

I jump to conclusions quickly, but I am also very willing to change my mind with new information. As a result, I change my mind rapidly and have a hell of a time coming down definitively on a lot of things.

At times I feel like I need to challenge flat statements I read or hear, but I rarely ever do so outwardly. Rather, I just think about a way to invalidate or contest the point and then continue whatever I was doing.

Hmm?

I have a competitive streak. There's good fun in playing something that I've got some skill in- especially against people I might expect to be better than me! However, I dislike it when people take competition as an excuse to be mean to the other team/s. I don't mind talking myself up, but I'm not really interested in talking other people down.

This sounds like me but I don't know whether it's type related. This might be an aversion to Se and Te.

I tend to let people talk over me a lot. It's not that I feel subordinate to other people or anything, I just usually don't know if I want to say something, so I kind of just let people who are more expressive get their words out there. It really gets on my nerves when I do have something to say and I can't get a word in, though. Those are the times when I realize I care more about seeming polite than just saying what I have to say. I'm working on it, because it really does get on my nerves.

This^ sounds like Fe behaviour.

I don't like telling other people what to do. In times past I have taken on a leader role because I had knowledge about the situation at hand, but it's not something I strive for. I usually would rather be on my own- autonomous, but willing to help if asked.

This^ sounds like Fe and aversion to Te.

In most situations with people, I put myself into a sort of background amongst the group, but I am pretty bombastic when I am actually comfortable where I am. The thing is, I'm rarely feel comfortable enough around other people. So I am most lively and energetic when I am alone. In the same token, I don't want to be controlled, scrutinized, monitored, or anything like that, so I prefer to be alone when I need to express myself.

^Introvert.

So... This sounds like IxFJ, my bet is on ISFJ but both types seem possible...

Could you this test as well and paste the "complete" result with scores please?

Free Enneagram Personality Test

Edit: If you are an ISFJ I'd expect your enneagram type to be something like 9w8 2w1 5w6.

ShadowPage

Hi, [MENTION=20531]yeghor[/MENTION]! Thank you so much for coming by and commenting! I'll respond to your commentary more after I take that test so I can put it with the result.

----

Hi, [MENTION=20789]Werebudgie[/MENTION]- I'm really glad that you decided to post- your points gave me sign posts, so to speak, as to which ways I could try to understand the differences between E6 and E9 better, as well as why I feel stuck between them. I have to say that, even though I've only been skimming through the Enneagram books I recently borrowed, I don't really know how to explain being caught between the two numbers either- except that I am one part extremely unsure of myself and one part disconnected from a lot of things. Faith and Love- don't the two concepts get put together a lot? I don't much feel like I understand or had a foundation in either, especially not in the context of building an entire personality around myself in relation to them...:mellow:

I actually had looked at that post from PerCafe a bit and yea, there are some things I can see in myself there. That whole bit on Apathy is one that I kind of feel weird about- on the one hand, it feels pretty obviously fitting, but on the other, I feel like I can get pretty passionate about things too. Of course, I haven't yet taken the proper time out to read and mull over the whole thing (I have a terrifically short attention span for dense psychological literature, even if I do find it fascinating), so that's just part of my initial impression of what I read.

[Oy, this is pretty weird to talk about publicly...] I find that I try not to think about matters of my sense of security, because that train of thought gets negative and fretful pretty fast. I seem to give people (at least, the few who have ever talked to me about it) the impression that I don't think about important things, but I do. I just hate the powerless feeling that comes from thinking about things that I'm totally un-ready for and when I don't even know how to be more ready for them... It's like looking a large cloud that represents a whole bunch of stressful things in my life and trying to address them all without being stuck in frustration. Well then, just writing that stuff out makes me seem pretty un-Six-like, eh? :blush:

Even though I know that people with any type of major coping mechanisms can be skeptical and contrary in the face of authority/convention, the reason that I find myself so inclined to keep E6 on the table is because there is one really big aspect of E9 that I don't identify with: I *really* don't see myself as a peacekeeper or "don't rock the boat" type. I feel like being the one everybody called on to help work out compromise and all that would be a lot of work. I would rather be in my space, and if people want to talk to me about stuff sometimes, great. I can be pretty difficult to get in contact with, though, so I don't sweat the fact that people tend not to reach out to me that much. ......Oh boy, I was just going to say that I don't just sit there and take it when things get rough or unpleasant, but I then just had a memory of when I did exactly that. :doh: And I have to wonder how many times I do that and don't even notice.:dry:

As far as things I see related to both E6 and E9, I feel it necessary to mention that I wrestle with procrastination at times because I either feel like I am completely not ready to work on something ( I don't know enough info yet, I don't have the right words to write down; it's always something related to being prepared) or I let myself get consumed with whatever random pastime I am dealing with at the moment and I can't switch gears, even though the work is staring at me. :dry:

It's kind of funny- when I keep reading about how E9's keep a tight lid on their anger, I have to wonder what an Angry E9 looks like. I definitely used to try never to show when I was angry or allow myself to get angry too much. I didn't want to be in the line of sight of angry people, either- that whole kind of deal. But, the older I got, the harder it got to do that. I am still terribly afraid of getting into conflict with people, though, even if they'd made me angry. I also still don't express my anger at all easily outside of family (I joke about how "the one time I get good and angry, the person who tripped the switch is a damned black belt or some mess like that" :D) - but I still am impatient and possessing of a quick temper. Good gracious, I am an E9, aren't I? :shock:

I can't get over how that works; when I try to get my thoughts in order to share them with someone, I end up seeing the shape those thoughts make. Of course, being the indecisive person I can be, I know that I will definitely be back, wondering how I can be sure that I don't *really* have the core defense strategies of another number, and I just forgot about the damning counterexamples to my having E9 until just then. :laugh:

But how about that? :smile:

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Hi, [MENTION=20789]Werebudgie[/MENTION]- I'm really glad that you decided to post- your points gave me sign posts, so to speak, as to which ways I could try to understand the differences between E6 and E9 better, as well as why I feel stuck between them. I have to say that, even though I've only been skimming through the Enneagram books I recently borrowed, I don't really know how to explain being caught between the two numbers either- except that I am one part extremely unsure of myself and one part disconnected from a lot of things. Faith and Love- don't the two concepts get put together a lot? I don't much feel like I understand or had a foundation in either, especially not in the context of building an entire personality around myself in relation to them...:mellow:

Well, one thing I've seen but never understood is that 6 and 9 are connected somehow in the enneagram model - you could look for enneagram-specific discussions of integration and disintegration. I've never quite grasped that part of the enneagram or seen its relevance in my/our lived experiences, but have seen mention of it. Maybe someone else who knows more about that aspect of the enneagram would be able to comment on that.

About Faith and Love as concepts: For me, the words are just markers for deeper resonance. I don't think I could explain in words what faith is for me, not really ... but internally if I pay attention I can feel a loss that I can mark with the word faith in a way that makes enneagram 6 useful for me as a way to understand some of my coping mechanisms and damage. But that's just me.

I actually had looked at that post from PerCafe a bit and yea, there are some things I can see in myself there. That whole bit on Apathy is one that I kind of feel weird about- on the one hand, it feels pretty obviously fitting, but on the other, I feel like I can get pretty passionate about things too. Of course, I haven't yet taken the proper time out to read and mull over the whole thing (I have a terrifically short attention span for dense psychological literature, even if I do find it fascinating), so that's just part of my initial impression of what I read.

Yeah, the apathy part would be specific to certain things related to damage and coping mechanisms, not necessarily an overall way of being in the world for everything. If I understand correctly. I mean, my partner - who really is very obviously to me and to herself E9 - can get very passionate about things too.

However:

[Oy, this is pretty weird to talk about publicly...] I find that I try not to think about matters of my sense of security, because that train of thought gets negative and fretful pretty fast. I seem to give people (at least, the few who have ever talked to me about it) the impression that I don't think about important things, but I do. I just hate the powerless feeling that comes from thinking about things that I'm totally un-ready for and when I don't even know how to be more ready for them... It's like looking a large cloud that represents a whole bunch of stressful things in my life and trying to address them all without being stuck in frustration. Well then, just writing that stuff out makes me seem pretty un-Six-like, eh? :blush:

Um. That bolded stuff? Very very strongly 6, IMO. Did you really mean UN-Six-like in that last sentence? Because that stuff you wrote right there is extremely six-like, to my eyes.

-----------------
edited to add: Though if I sort of squint at it, I can also see (I think) why you'd understand it as un-six-like, or at least more 9 than 6. My initial focus in reading that was on how negative and stressed out you get thinking about security. That to me is very 6. But another way to read what you wrote is that you don't l like thinking about this thing (whatever it is, the specific topic isn't really relevant) because thinking about it stresses you out and you prefer peace and even numbness around this stuff to the stress of looking at it. Which could be more 9-like, I guess.

*thinking* *thinking* ... So maybe it comes down to what is the root of the reaction you're trying to describe in the quote above. Is your reaction focused on security specifically and how much it stresses you out to think about it? (more toward 6) Or is it more about "This topic disturbs my sense of inner peace and that's why I don't like thinking about it." (more like 9)

-----------------

Even though I know that people with any type of major coping mechanisms can be skeptical and contrary in the face of authority/convention, the reason that I find myself so inclined to keep E6 on the table is because there is one really big aspect of E9 that I don't identify with: I *really* don't see myself as a peacekeeper or "don't rock the boat" type. I feel like being the one everybody called on to help work out compromise and all that would be a lot of work. I would rather be in my space, and if people want to talk to me about stuff sometimes, great. I can be pretty difficult to get in contact with, though, so I don't sweat the fact that people tend not to reach out to me that much. ......Oh boy, I was just going to say that I don't just sit there and take it when things get rough or unpleasant, but I then just had a memory of when I did exactly that. :doh: And I have to wonder how many times I do that and don't even notice.:dry:

I'm still leaning toward 6 for you.

As far as things I see related to both E6 and E9, I feel it necessary to mention that I wrestle with procrastination at times because I either feel like I am completely not ready to work on something ( I don't know enough info yet, I don't have the right words to write down; it's always something related to being prepared) or I let myself get consumed with whatever random pastime I am dealing with at the moment and I can't switch gears, even though the work is staring at me. :dry:

The bolded part reads quite possibly 6 to me as well, in that case probably 6w5 specifically maybe? - though it would depend on what's underneath IMO. Specifically: what exactly would be the problem you'd have with doing something and not being prepared? As for the second thing (getting consumed with random pastime), to me that seems more possibly related to information processing - cognitive function, maybe Ne? - and not the enneagram's damage/coping mechanism.

It's kind of funny- when I keep reading about how E9's keep a tight lid on their anger, I have to wonder what an Angry E9 looks like. I definitely used to try never to show when I was angry or allow myself to get angry too much. I didn't want to be in the line of sight of angry people, either- that whole kind of deal. But, the older I got, the harder it got to do that. I am still terribly afraid of getting into conflict with people, though, even if they'd made me angry. I also still don't express my anger at all easily outside of family (I joke about how "the one time I get good and angry, the person who tripped the switch is a damned black belt or some mess like that" :D) - but I still am impatient and possessing of a quick temper. Good gracious, I am an E9, aren't I? :shock:

Oh, I could tell you what an angry E9 looks like. or at least an angry 9w8. Oh boy.

Anyway, I don't know ... I still get the E6 flavor but of course I could be wrong. About anger: I think it depends on why you are terribly afraid of getting into conflict with people. What do you think will happen if you do express your anger and there is conflict?

Welllll ... I actually have not seen my E9 partner particularly concerned with "looking like" an angry person. But then, that may be the intersection of her being a Fi-dom in terms of cognitive functions (she doesn't tend to attend too strongly to how she appears to others). I have seen her most concerned with how it feels to her when she gets angry - it disturbs her (sometimes illusory) sense of inner peace. Or another way to put it is the feeling of her own anger disturbs an inner numbness she sometimes retreats to and feels she needs when she's under stress. I have also seen her concerned with what she will do when she gets angry - can she control it once it gets going? If you're familiar with the "Incredible Hulk" character, it's kind of like that for her. The mild-mannered peaceful David Banner tipped over into the uncontrollable Hulk.

I can't get over how that works; when I try to get my thoughts in order to share them with someone, I end up seeing the shape those thoughts make. Of course, being the indecisive person I can be, I know that I will definitely be back, wondering how I can be sure that I don't *really* have the core defense strategies of another number, and I just forgot about the damning counterexamples to my having E9 until just then. :laugh:

But how about that? :smile:

I hope my "leaning toward 6" stuff isn't too confusing for you. I'll leave it in because it did come up for me. But in the end, you know yourself best and since enneagram is about some really deep and sometimes painful stuff, you're really the one who knows what that is for you inside.

ShadowPage

You know, I was pretty surprised to read that I sounded more like an E6, [MENTION=20789]Werebudgie[/MENTION]. I think that's the real merit in hearing from people with lived experience rather than trying to extrapolate from the books. Though, for the record, I still have a lot of *actual* reading, rather than skimming, to do. I will give more of a response after I address yeghor's request and some more thoughts I had before signing on today.

-------
Hello yeghor. So here it is:

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||| 26%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||| 26%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||| 30%
Type 4 Individualism |||||| 26%
Type 5 Intellectualism |||||| 30%
Type 6 Security Focus |||||||||||||||| 62%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||| 38%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||| 26%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||||| 62%

type score type behavior motivation
6 15 I must be secure and safe to survive.
9 15 I must maintain peace/calm to survive.
7 9 I must be fun and entertained to survive.
3 7 I must be impressive and attractive to survive.
5 7 I must be knowledgeable to survive.
1 6 I must be perfect and good to survive.
2 6 I must be helpful and caring to survive.
4 6 I must be unique/different to survive.
8 6 I must be strong and in control to survive.

Your main type is Type 6
Your variant stacking is sx/sp/so
Your level of health is below average, i.e. unhealthy

At first, I was kind of thrown at how even the answers were. Then, I rolled my eyes at getting the exact same values for E6 and E9. Yea, that test doesn't know, either. I considered taking it again, but I would have thought way too long about the answers. Anyway, I also took a peek at your posts describing your method for connecting JCF and the Enneagram, [MENTION=20531]yeghor[/MENTION], and it looked like I would be most likely to read as an ISTJ, based on the answers I got on the quiz. ...I definitely can't agree with that. Not that I could properly explain why (which I consider to be more to my point), but I definitely can't see myself as choosing thinking over feeling- function wise.

I am interested in what made you choose those functions that you attributed to the part of my intro post that you quoted. I'd like to see your thought process. When I saw you mention that one of my bullet points sounded like an aversion to Te, I was kind of confused. From what I've read, it sounds basically like the manner of logical/critical thinking that we're taught to employ in school, and I don't think I had much difficulty with it at all. *shrug*

What does 'mirror image' mean in this context? I thought that that was only discussed within socionics (I skimmed a bit about it several years ago, but I really don't *know* anything about it). Is it that ISFJ and ESFP are both Sensing dominant/Feeling auxiliary, but the orientations thereof are inverted? Interesting. If I could understand Si and Fe better, I might be able to respond to that directly. It's weird. Everytime I read about these functions, the words make sense, but I still find myself wondering what that would look like in practice. Having a basic sense of civility can't be the sole province of Fe, but at the same time, knowing how to act in any given social situation is Fe's wheelhouse, right? Eh, I dunno.

And as for those parts where you say "hmm?".... uh, what does that mean? :huh:

On a slightly different note, I noticed someone posting a link to a personality quiz for someone else who is trying to work out their type and I took it. I really appreciated that it had the option to answer alternate questions. It also reminded me of how much I hate having to answer questions about whether I am "emotional/sentimental" or "dispassionate/logical". I can't decide. I rarely can choose between them because I don't see myself as overly emotional, but I also think that I'm too random to be logical. I pretty much skipped a lot of the "feeling/thinking" questions that were really ham-fisted like that.

I was very surprised by the result, though. So much so that I took that quiz twice (with alternate questions, I was able to avoid overthinking about repeats). Still, this is what I got both times (though the percentages differ a bit):

41% ISTP
14% ISFP
13% ISFJ
12% ISTJ
6% ESTJ

I hardly know if it'll be relevant to the discussion here, but I don't think it could hurt. At least it was a quiz that wasn't boring. :smile:

Also, I think that it's probably to my benefit to hunker down and answer those Enneagram questions I've seen floating around. I kind of avoided doing so at first because it looked like it would have taken me ages. I guess I'll know for sure, now! *shrug*

yeghor

Hello yeghor. So here it is:

Yeah they look like xSTJ.

When I saw you mention that one of my bullet points sounded like an aversion to Te, I was kind of confused. From what I've read, it sounds basically like the manner of logical/critical thinking that we're taught to employ in school, and I don't think I had much difficulty with it at all. *shrug*

You said you don't like when people talk others down, that's what strong Te does.

What does 'mirror image' mean in this context? I thought that that was only discussed within socionics (I skimmed a bit about it several years ago, but I really don't *know* anything about it). Is it that ISFJ and ESFP are both Sensing dominant/Feeling auxiliary, but the orientations thereof are inverted? Interesting. If I could understand Si and Fe better, I might be able to respond to that directly. It's weird. Everytime I read about these functions, the words make sense, but I still find myself wondering what that would look like in practice. Having a basic sense of civility can't be the sole province of Fe, but at the same time, knowing how to act in any given social situation is Fe's wheelhouse, right? Eh, I dunno.

ISFJ = Si - Fe - Ti - Ne ESFP = Se - Fi - Te -Ni , ISFJ = inverted (flipped over) ESFP and vice-versa. An ISFJ is someone who has let go of his\her ESFP side (and functions) for ISFJ, someone who has chosen servitude and humility over self-centered pleasure-seeking and boastfullness, and vice-versa. That abandoned side is present in all of us and manifests itself from time to time when we are feeling relaxed, safe or angry or threatened. I call it our shadow side though that terminology is getting confused for something else in the literature so I am using the "mirror image" terminology.

And as for those parts where you say "hmm?".... uh, what does that mean? :huh:

That means I have no idea about those parts :)

On a slightly different note, I noticed someone posting a link to a personality quiz for someone else who is trying to work out their type and I took it. I really appreciated that it had the option to answer alternate questions. It also reminded me of how much I hate having to answer questions about whether I am "emotional/sentimental" or "dispassionate/logical". I can't decide. I rarely can choose between them because I don't see myself as overly emotional, but I also think that I'm too random to be logical. I pretty much skipped a lot of the "feeling/thinking" questions that were really ham-fisted like that.

I was very surprised by the result, though. So much so that I took that quiz twice (with alternate questions, I was able to avoid overthinking about repeats). Still, this is what I got both times (though the percentages differ a bit):

41% ISTP
14% ISFP
13% ISFJ
12% ISTJ
6% ESTJ

I hardly know if it'll be relevant to the discussion here, but I don't think it could hurt. At least it was a quiz that wasn't boring. :smile:

Also, I think that it's probably to my benefit to hunker down and answer those Enneagram questions I've seen floating around. I kind of avoided doing so at first because it looked like it would have taken me ages. I guess I'll know for sure, now! *shrug*

You don't come accross as an ISTP. You sound too "caring" to be an ISTP that's why I am thinking you must be an introvert with an auxiliary (secondary) feeling function. My suggestion is that you gotta concentrate on whether you are an ISFP or ISFJ.

ShadowPage

Hmm...I think I need a different tack with this question. I'm having a hell of a time with that Enneagram questionaire I briefly mentioned before, and since I wanted to focus on that, I got all "well then why waste anyone's time if I don't really have anything new to add?"- never mind the fact that it was actually the newest of things that I could address in my "Please type me" thread. :dry:

And I do that a lot, it seems. I will let one task [usually something really time-consuming or thought intensive] I'd committed myself to doing [usually after having tried to avoid doing said task at all- and then not-too-much-later deciding that I can't leave that loose end and be satisfied with any possible results] completely derail all other action I take until I just feel stressed out by everything involved with/related to that task. It's dreadful, and makes me feel as if I've signed myself up for way more than I can handle- even if that's not necessarily the case. :doh:

I think that I take my presence on forums and in any social-type situation way more seriously than I should. My instinct is to avoid speaking up and rather just watch what's going on. I may or may not have an opinion or something, but I usually have to make the conscious effort to contribute. And I think that I have been doing okay on that score since I came back. I think I've almost doubled my post count in the last two/three weeks! :)

But I am really awkward- I generally have a running track of "do I really need to say that?" "what if it looks weird? is that that best way I could say [the statement]?" "I don't know enough about this topic to even be reading this thread, much less posting in it" and such thoughts that I have to actively ignore when trying to just jump into a conversation. I don't want to seem unintelligent or pushy or annoying and so on and so on. Ugh, I stress myself out when it comes to this stuff- have I said so enough times? :D

I really hate to think that I have to wait so long to achieve the kind of clarity of mind to work out what archetypes my personality characteristics best correspond to. I suppose that, theoretically, I could figure this stuff out myself, but I've felt like a rudder-less ship for too long! I hate how directionless/aimless I feel most days!

Am I totally turning this into a Journal entry, or what? :smile:

Anyway, I want to answer that questionnaire. I also want to talk about how I don't know half as much about either JCF or the Enneagram I need to in order to figure out my place in them alone- but I am really out of patience on that whole "if you understand the whole, then you can understand your place in the whole" business. :rolleyes: It feels kind of nice to just say it- I don't have the patience to wait to understand everything. I want to believe that that's still ok. I can still make use of these frameworks and ideas without understanding them inside-out, can't I? And maybe, just maybe, when that massive thundercloud of "Who the hell am I?" dissipates a bit, I might be interested enough in these frameworks to understand them holistically. Maybe. I don't know. That might be wishful thinking. I don't commit to much, when I'm being really real with myself. :whistling:

I'll stop rambling for now.

ShadowPage

Alright, so... nobody else is interested? Really? Should I answer some other questionnaires? Are the characteristics I mentioned not really relevant to showing how I think? Am I just that boring? Really tho, what does a good 'help type me' thread make? :unsure:

And sure, I may or may not have complained about how easily bored I can get with taking personality quizzes sometimes, but I really want to figure this out! I will put the work in, even if I'm slow at it (because I have to take a lot of breaks. No idea how it's energy draining for me to take personality tests these days when I used to be low-key obsessed with them :rolleyes: ).

Please come by and discuss. If anybody has suggestions for more questionnaires I could fill out or what I could talk about that would help clear up my type, I would really appreciate it.

**As far as the shiny enneagram questionnaire it's taking me forever to finish, I have been writing pretty long answers to those questions I can actually answer. Some of them... I got nothing for. And I don't know if I should just cut my losses or grind it out until I have something to say to each question. **

Also, I took at look at that Extraversion/Introversion thread that was going around- the one with the link to Business Insider, and I got 2.4 on the quiz at the end. I pretty much figured I'd be coded as an introvert- it was cool to get the distinction between Engagement and Assertiveness as the components of Extraversion, though. According to that, I am fairly engaged for an introvert (2.9) but *not* assertive (1.9). Sounds quite right.