• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

One more time...

sassafrassquatch

So I think I'm an INTJ.

The whole SJ thing is not working out for me. I keep reading that "SJs are thus-and-such" and I think "I'm not that way, gorram it!" So either everything everyone knows about SJs is wrong or I'm not an SJ. My dad is very much the model ISTJ and I am not my dad. The only other type I could be is INTJ. I read through some INTJ descriptions and the big one on INTJ central and they're pretty close. Nothing in them stands out to make me think "Well I'm definitely not that."

Just thought I'd throw that out. Feel free to object, comment or bake me cookies.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I could see you as INTJ.

Smart guy; well-informed; seem genuinely interested in exploring the principles beyond immediate context.

Your gun control hypothesis (caliber as the determinant) is a great example of creative interpolation often found inside an N mindset.

INTJ is probably your best bet; as I mentioned earlier, I don't think you'd fit as an INTP.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Smart guy; well-informed; seem genuinely interested in exploring the principles beyond immediate context.

Just remember that N =/= smart or a lack of curiosity. S and N are simply just curious about different things.

INTJs and ISTJs can seem similar on the outside, especially since they extrovert the same auxiliary function. So they are both control-oriented.

I see a lot of Te in Sass -- he's got a very macho wit -- so I don't doubt that he's at the very least an IxTJ.

But Sass, you're right in that you don't seem to have any typical SJ tendencies. Have you looked at the INTJ description at CAPT? (It is, of course, assuming that Ni and Te are working together.)

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Just remember that N =/= smart or a lack of curiosity. S and N are simply just curious about different things.

Why Uber - your implication is lewd.

My subtext is gracious, my lad.

sassafrassquatch

INTJs and ISTJs can seem similar on the outside, especially since they extrovert the same auxiliary function. So they are both control-oriented.

I see a lot of Te in Sass -- he's got a very macho wit -- so I don't doubt that he's at the very least an IxTJ.

But Sass, you're right in that you don't seem to have any typical SJ tendencies. Have you looked at the INTJ description at CAPT? (It is, of course, assuming that Ni and Te are working together.)

That description also sounds fairly accurate. Another thing is that the things which the Guardians are supposedly guarding are those which I am most distrustful of. I place no value on tradition, groups make me nervous, duty and loyalty to institutions mean nothing to me. Being the salt of the earth, a pillar of the community, whatever it is SJs get off on does not appeal to me at all.

I'm trying to find some good descriptions of Introverted Intuition, they all seem pretty nebulous so far. It's entirely possible that I am a highly atypical ISTJ but don't think it's a good description for me.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm trying to find some good descriptions of Introverted Intuition, they all seem pretty nebulous so far. It's entirely possible that I am a highly atypical ISTJ but don't think it's a good description for me.

Jung said of N-dominant types that they're prone to anxieties, phobias, and obsessive-compulsions when neurotic or stressed, while neurotic/stressed S-dominant types tend to give in more to superstitions.

N doesn't necessarily describe one's outlook of the future (whether it's good or bad), but they focus more on the future or unknown while the S type thinks of how to preserve the unforeseeable future, either by enjoying the here-and-now (Se) or by conserving the here-and-now in preparation (Si).

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
So I think I'm an INTJ.

The whole SJ thing is not working out for me. I keep reading that "SJs are thus-and-such" and I think "I'm not that way, gorram it!" So either everything everyone knows about SJs is wrong or I'm not an SJ. My dad is very much the model ISTJ and I am not my dad. The only other type I could be is INTJ. I read through some INTJ descriptions and the big one on INTJ central and they're pretty close. Nothing in them stands out to make me think "Well I'm definitely not that."

Just thought I'd throw that out. Feel free to object, comment or bake me cookies.

I doubt you're ISTJ because from what little I've read you seem cool.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Your Si and Te are really close and both are really strong.

However, I will also admit that I do not like the Ni questions and can't really say if you are ISTJ or INTJ.
However, I don't think an INTJ would score that high in Si- unless you were deliberately putting "Exactly Like Me" for questions you knew were like Si.

Your Ni is ridiculously low.
You seem like a solid S & T.
One thing I hate about Keirsey is that a lot of the SJ descriptions (conforming to group, harmony over ideas).. these are really traits of XSFJ's NOT XSTJ's. It's a mixture of Fe & Si...

The XSTJ's are as big of conformists as XNFJ's are.. as far as I'm concerned.
Keirsey isn't calling XNFJ's conforming spineless folk now.. is he?

sassafrassquatch

The questions on that functions test are so poorly written I can't make sense of them.

5. Experience a premonition or foresee the distant future.

Is that asking if I'm psychic? I don't know what that's supposed to mean.

I may well be an ISTJ, I do seem to operate on SiTe but all the defining characteristics of the SJ temperament do no apply to me. Though I do think everyone has dropped the ball with describing SJs. Nearly everyone seems to think of them as incurious, servile drones which I am definitely not.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
ISTJ's have an "internal guidebook" of sorts that is composed of things that they've decided to focus on throughout their life. A lot of SJ's focus on happy childhood memories, so that is why they talk about the good ole' days, and they don't want things to change so much. If you've focused on things different from the norm then your "internal guidebook" could be pretty different from most SJ's.

Overall most of the descriptions for sensors aren't always accurate particularly if the person is fairly intelligent. For example an intelligent ISTP is more likely to be an engineer than a mechanic, even though most ISTP descriptions make them seem more like a mechanic. Most likely you are a bright ISTJ, and that is why you don't relate to the standard ISTJ descriptions. If you are more interested in proven facts rather than possibilities, and if you have a keen sense toward details that you focus on, then you are probably an ISTJ (or maybe an ESTJ, but I'll assume you've figured out the E/I dimension).

redacted

That description also sounds fairly accurate. Another thing is that the things which the Guardians are supposedly guarding are those which I am most distrustful of. I place no value on tradition, groups make me nervous, duty and loyalty to institutions mean nothing to me. Being the salt of the earth, a pillar of the community, whatever it is SJs get off on does not appeal to me at all.

one of my best friends is an ISTJ and the bolded part is true for him as well. forget the stereotypes for SJs. they can be very individualistic thinkers.

I doubt you're ISTJ because from what little I've read you seem cool.

ugh. using MBTI this way is worse than not using it at all. complete nonsense...

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
ugh. using MBTI this way is worse than not using it at all. complete nonsense...
It's not nonsense, it's my perception! I've never met an ISTJ I'd call cool, quite the contrary in fact. I don't even think those I knew well considered themselves cool.

redacted

you can't type people by comparing their personalities to the types (that you don't even really know) of your friends.

if you're going to bother trying to type someone, do it by functions, and throw type descriptions out the window.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
you can't type people by comparing their personalities to the types (that you don't even really know) of your friends.

if you're going to bother trying to type someone, do it by functions, and throw type descriptions out the window.
Functional analysis? That's not my favorite method of typing, and I'm not alone. And yes you can type people by behavioral analysis and comparison. These people I speak of also tested as ISTJ.

sassafrassquatch

I'd like to know how they come up with these type descriptions. Do they perform extensive testing and interview confirmed types? Is it an average? Or do the people writing them just assume that functions in a certain order will behave a certain way? And then people assume, "Well that guy in the next cubicle is an officious little troll, he must be an ISTJ."

Going by the descriptions if you're an INTP you're fucking Einstein.
An INTJ is a visionary mastermind.
An ISTP, while not described as glowingly as the INTs is good with machines, sports and still an interesting person.
An ISTJ? You're dependable. Well golly gee, isn't that swell!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'd like to know how they come up with these type descriptions. Do they perform extensive testing and interview confirmed types? Is it an average?

God forbid I look it up, but I think that's the basic foundation of actual MBTI usage. Testing, study, comparison, etc.etc.etc.. As an aside, I think the biggest failure of MBTI statistics is that MBTI is used a lot in employment scenarios, thus people may tend to answer dishonestly, intentionally or not.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
ISTJ's have an "internal guidebook" of sorts that is composed of things that they've decided to focus on throughout their life. A lot of SJ's focus on happy childhood memories, so that is why they talk about the good ole' days, and they don't want things to change so much. If you've focused on things different from the norm then your "internal guidebook" could be pretty different from most SJ's.

Overall most of the descriptions for sensors aren't always accurate particularly if the person is fairly intelligent. For example an intelligent ISTP is more likely to be an engineer than a mechanic, even though most ISTP descriptions make them seem more like a mechanic. Most likely you are a bright ISTJ, and that is why you don't relate to the standard ISTJ descriptions. If you are more interested in proven facts rather than possibilities, and if you have a keen sense toward details that you focus on, then you are probably an ISTJ (or maybe an ESTJ, but I'll assume you've figured out the E/I dimension).

Kinda sad the way an intelligent sensor gets to occupy the neither region between S and N. But this has been discussed, digested, and defecated so I won't go into that.

I think it's good when people question whether they're S or N because that forces you to understand the functions better and usually the difference between sensing and intuiting is the hardest to tell. Once I got a good understanding of what Se, Si, Ne, and Ni was everything got mashed together and I had to look a little harder in order to find a meaningful difference. If it helps, most SJs I know don't fit the typical SJ profile very well either.

If you're an NT you'd prefer this:
Attention to concepts, meanings, interrelationships, and probable or possible futures with a focus on the principles and criteria involved. An abstract, problem-solving approach.

If you're an ST you'd prefer this:
Attention to the tangible realities based on current and past experiences with a focus on “objective” facts, criteria, or principles. A just-the-facts approach.

Source

ISTJ Profile
If you ignore all the duty-bound parts, do you think it fits?

INTJ Profile
Are the autonomy seeking parts of the INTJ description what you identify with most?

Also you're more than likely to have come into contact with more ISTJs than INTJs. Some times it helps to identify other people that you think might share your type and figure out how similar/dissimilar you are to them.

I'm not going to say what type you are because honestly I don't know. And if you're on the border between S and N I think that's a pretty good place to be because you can do both.