• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

EI EI Ooooohhh!!

E or I?

• Total voters

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Okie dokie ducks and doggies.... so several people seem to have it in their heads that I'm an ENTP (I'm going to remove the ENFP and INTJ crowds for simplicity but if you see somewhere to jump in then go for it... I'm all for melee).

So anyhow, according to all the tests I take (aside from the "actual" type thing which came up as ENFP... silly people) I get typed as an INTP. The old man says I'm INTP and you lot are all kidding yourselves (not literally but ... you know... ENTJ "humour" ;) ). I've read the INTP profile god knows how many times and the whole sherlockian thing works to a point.

The problem is that I've just not got the same rythm as some INTPs. I bounce like one of those bouncy balls in a bouncy room. Tracking my thinking oft seems to require a degree in wave particle duality (not literally before someone starts). The wierd thing is though is often I can't track other's thinking.. especially ESTPs... damn them!!!

So am I a type unto myself? Do I chose I or E?

Oh yeah and I realise it's more complex a choice than that and the differences are inferred as well as direct, read the types etc etc etc.. I will read them... I'm just starting this ball rolling so that

#1 I don't derail a more broad thread
#2 Get some input... cause I'm bored
#3 Make contact with people... (I don't understand it but I like it!!)

Please submit all theories on an SAE to ....

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
You don't come across as the heavy-handed ENTJ type.

htb is a great example of a balanced ENTJ. Very smart w/o being pushy. Maybe you're like him.

What makes you consider yourself a J?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
You don't come across as the heavy-handed ENTJ type.

htb is a great example of a balanced ENTJ. Very smart w/o being pushy. Maybe you're like him.

What makes you consider yourself a J?
My process of cognative process learning has been INTP-ENTJ thus far. I find ENTJs very synergistic.. which if I'm not an INTP will really queer up my theories so far!!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I don't like this description but I'll use it for a start point.
Typelogic said:
"Clever" is the word that perhaps describes ENTPs best. The professor who juggles half a dozen ideas for research papers and grant proposals in his mind while giving a highly entertaining lecture on an abstruse subject is a classic example of the type. So is the stand-up comedian whose lampoons are not only funny, but incisively accurate.
#1 I'm not entertaining by most people's standards. It would appear I have the same draw as a car crash. They watch but their not sure why they didn't look away.
Typelogic said:
ENTPs are usually verbally as well as cerebrally quick, and generally love to argue--both for its own sake, and to show off their often-impressive skills.
I'm no debater. I will engage in discourse on things which obey certain rational load points but I don't try to stray in to arenas as a gladiator... more an inquisitor. I'm more interested in the result and the path that lead there than in who walked it.
Typelogic said:
They tend to have a perverse sense of humor as well, and enjoy playing devil's advocate. They sometimes confuse, even inadvertently hurt, those who don't understand or accept the concept of argument as a sport.
Okay so maybe I can't argue with all of it.... thinking about it, that's another point to the Is. I conceed to easily.
Typelogic said:
ENTPs are as innovative and ingenious at problem-solving as they are at verbal gymnastics; on occasion, however, they manage to outsmart themselves. This can take the form of getting found out at "sharp practice"--ENTPs have been known to cut corners without regard to the rules if it's expedient -- or simply in the collapse of an over-ambitious juggling act. Both at work and at home, ENTPs are very fond of "toys"--physical or intellectual, the more sophisticated the better. They tend to tire of these quickly, however, and move on to new ones.
Well that bit rings true for certain. Well all except the verbal gymnastics. I cn't smell enough well. Ask Rajah. ;)
Typelogic said:
ENTPs are basically optimists, but in spite of this (perhaps because of it?), they tend to become extremely petulant about small setbacks and inconveniences. (Major setbacks they tend to regard as challenges, and tackle with determin- ation.)
True in the former but wrong in the latter. I see all problems as challenges... I just don't want to be challenged some days :cry: *sniff*
Typelogic said:
ENTPs have little patience with those they consider wrongheaded or unintelligent, and show little restraint in demonstrating this.
NT. Check.
Typelogic said:
However, they do tend to be extremely genial, if not charming, when not being harassed by life in general.
Genial.... (adds to list of words to look up later...) I can be charming...I think. I keep getting labelled as cute though so I think I'm stuffing it up somewhere but doing well enough to leave a positive (if humourous :steam: ) impression.
Typelogic said:
In terms of their relationships with others, ENTPs are capable of bonding very closely and, initially, suddenly, with their loved ones. Some appear to be deceptively offhand with their nearest and dearest; others are so demonstrative that they succeed in shocking co-workers who've only seen their professional side. ENTPs are also good at acquiring friends who are as clever and entertaining as they are. Aside from those two areas, ENTPs tend to be oblivious of the rest of humanity, except as an audience -- good, bad, or potential.
Wrong on three counts there.

I'm rarely touchy feely.. even with the missus. Especially not when I'm in other's company. My friends are those who will suffer me and who I'm happy to suffer. As for the rest of humanity, they are all lab rats for my entertainment, bemusement and experimentation (well less of the latter... involves too much effort).

Does that help anyone's analysis? I'm fairly convinced that I'm close but I don't get any smokes off of this one.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Typelogic said:
INTPs are pensive, analytical folks. They may venture so deeply into thought as to seem detached, and often actually are oblivious to the world around them.
That bit always sounds fine until you realise that reality WILL come to your house, kick in the door and then paste you across the room if you don't stay in touch.
Typelogic said:
Precise about their descriptions, INTPs will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off.
I so deny doing this. In a very Bill Clinton kinda fashion... :whistling:
Typelogic said:
While annoying to the less concise, this fine discrimination ability gives INTPs so inclined a natural advantage as, for example, grammarians and linguists.
Yeah it does... if you're still grounded in reality....damn clauses.
Typelogic said:
INTPs are relatively easy-going and amenable to almost anything until their principles are violated, about which they may become outspoken and inflexible. They prefer to return, however, to a reserved albeit benign ambiance, not wishing to make spectacles of themselves.
Too true. I can't stand the whole "Are you okay". I want to answer "**** off!!" but that seems unreasonable. Hence I look for a reason to tell them to **** off before saying it.
Typelogic said:
A major concern for INTPs is the haunting sense of impending failure.
No I don't :thelook:
Typelogic said:
They spend considerable time second-guessing themselves. The open-endedness (from Perceiving) conjoined with the need for competence (NT) is expressed in a sense that one's conclusion may well be met by an equally plausible alternative solution, and that, after all, one may very well have overlooked some critical bit of data. An INTP arguing a point may very well be trying to convince himself as much as his opposition. In this way INTPs are markedly different from INTJs, who are much more confident in their competence and willing to act on their convictions.
Ahem... I'm thinking of the whole 'refuses to coalesce' thing here....
Typelogic said:
Mathematics is a system where many INTPs love to play, similarly languages, computer systems--potentially any complex system. INTPs thrive on systems. Understanding, exploring, mastering, and manipulating systems can overtake the INTP's conscious thought. This fascination for logical wholes and their inner workings is often expressed in a detachment from the environment, a concentration where time is forgotten and extraneous stimuli are held at bay. Accomplishing a task or goal with this knowledge is secondary.
Me watercooling my PC was like SO necessary. I know I don't overclock or play many games but it's ... it's necessary cause it just is okay.
Typelogic said:
INTPs and Logic -- One of the tipoffs that a person is an INTP is her obsession with logical correctness. Errors are not often due to poor logic -- apparent faux pas in reasoning are usually a result of overlooking details or of incorrect context.
I find this depends upon how far you look into logic... hence the whole thing about As and Bs and dependancies.
Typelogic said:
Games NTs seem to especially enjoy include Risk, Bridge, Stratego, Chess, Go, and word games of all sorts. (I have an ENTP friend that loves Boggle and its variations. We've been known to sit in public places and pick a word off a menu or mayonnaise jar to see who can make the most words from its letters on a napkin in two minutes.) The INTP mailing list has enjoyed a round of Metaphore, virtual volleyball, and a few 'finish the series' brain teasers.
I don't do competition unless it's team based and I certainly wouldn't enjoy any of those listed there. I do however play Sodoku pretty much every day. It's like a crossword that makes sense!!

I don't know now if this is going to be much of a discussion... anyone still thinking I'm other than as previously stated???

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Sorry Jennifer... thought I'd best move this reply here (that's if you ever find it...).
omg. migraine time.

Well, normally what I do is I clarify first whether I agree or disagree with what has been said, so that the foundation is secure before we build on it. If the lower levels of the discussion are not agreed on, then anything built on top of it is shaky.

The main time I don't do that is if everyone is just in bs mode (and here I mean "brainstorm" although I guess it's rather all the same, huh? ), and so we're just trying to nail planks across the chasm a la Wile E. Coyote before gravity sucks us all down.

This foundation idea is all well and good and is indeed something which I will work upon with people once I think we are beginning to progress somewhere. The point of the exchange which this quote refers to was that I was reading through your post and picking up an underlying thought train. Instead of getting into the nitty gritty of that particular thought train I instead challenged what I saw as the premise upon which the theory was based.

I was always under the assumption that such was the way with INTPs. A distain for extraneous conversation which does not move the subject forwards (or sideways interestingly)?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
So does no one think that the differences noted (and to some extent used for different type results) may be resulting from me being a 9 and not a 5?

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
Xander, you are not an extrovert... ;)

And if you are ENTP are you comfortable to admit that the prime mover, underpinning all that you do, is to be amazingly impressive? Just the best? Also are you going to admit to being driven by that competitiveness?

What's brought on this sudden identy crisis anyway? You must be really bored!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Xander, you are not an extrovert... ;)

And if you are ENTP are you comfortable to admit that the prime mover, underpinning all that you do, is to be amazingly impressive? Just the best? Also are you going to admit to being driven by that competitiveness?

What's brought on this sudden identy crisis anyway? You must be really bored!
Identity crisis? I post for a while and people mistake me being a nicey nicey and cuddly as.. you know... extroversion *spits*

According to a few people I "sound" like an ENTP because I bounce around with ideas. Personally I blame you for that :tongue10:

As for your analysis, quite correct. I am unconcered with being the best. I merely require proficiency and then I usually walk on.

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
Identity crisis? I post for a while and people mistake me being a nicey nicey and cuddly as.. you know... extroversion *spits*

According to a few people I "sound" like an ENTP because I bounce around with ideas. Personally I blame you for that :tongue10:

As for your analysis, quite correct. I am unconcered with being the best. I merely require proficiency and then I usually walk on.

Well, you like to take the credit for my over developed Ti anyway so I guess we're even...

To be honest though, how many people in RL would question whether you're an extrovert or introvert?

Seriously, the suggestion (please don't take this the wrong way) had me laughing on the floor! ;)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well, you like to take the credit for my over developed Ti anyway so I guess we're even...

To be honest though, how many people in RL would question whether you're an extrovert or introvert?

Seriously, the suggestion (please don't take this the wrong way) had me laughing on the floor! ;)
Well Jon (the asocial ENFP) had a laugh with Mike (the directive ENFJ) [I know you know them but it's for that lot there trying to read this stuff ;) ] about the 'introvert' of the group going out and getting flash cars and computers. They saw it as screaming "look at ME!!!". So I guess some do question it but it's mostly those who aren't comfortable being extroverted, be they introverts themselves or otherwise.

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well Jon (the asocial ENFP) had a laugh with Mike (the directive ENFJ) [I know you know them but it's for that lot there trying to read this stuff ;) ] about the 'introvert' of the group going out and getting flash cars and computers. They saw it as screaming "look at ME!!!". So I guess some do question it but it's mostly those who aren't comfortable being extroverted, be they introverts themselves or otherwise.

Flash cars and computers? The result of a lot of research I bet... lol, also you've always loved flash cars, you used to draw new designs for them all the time....

Also you bought a Smart roadster no? So if you cared about what others thought I imagine it would have been something others would have been less inclined to laugh at instinctively... well untill you passed them on the motorway anyway...

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Flash cars and computers? The result of a lot of research I bet... lol, also you've always loved flash cars, you used to draw new designs for them all the time....

Also you bought a Smart roadster no? So if you cared about what others thought I imagine it would have been something others would have been less inclined to laugh at instinctively... well untill you passed them on the motorway anyway...
A well... proves you haven't read much back from where you started posting ;) ... I sold that one. I drive a Celica GT now. 1.8 and looks the part too. A proper coupe.

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
A well... proves you haven't read much back from where you started posting ;) ... I sold that one. I drive a Celica GT now. 1.8 and looks the part too. A proper coupe.

Na... I knew you'd changed it, but still the principle was still there...

You got it cos you like it, not cos you think everyone else will coo...

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Na... I knew you'd changed it, but still the principle was still there...

You got it cos you like it, not cos you think everyone else will coo...
Well I'm not sure it's entirely innocent... I keep my perscription shades in the car :D Mind you though I also completely ignored the ridiculous assessment that it was a "midlife crisis" car!

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well I'm not sure it's entirely innocent... I keep my perscription shades in the car :D Mind you though I also completely ignored the ridiculous assessment that it was a "midlife crisis" car!

can't be that, you are too young to have an affair with someone half your age, you've got to wait atleast another couple of years...

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
can't be that, you are too young to have an affair with someone half your age, you've got to wait atleast another couple of years...
Good point. I hadn't figured on the whole jail bait side of things... Damn. I'm not good at patience!

Arilee

MBTI Type
ESTP

:hi: Can't really be a "mid life crisis car" for you when the "missus" describes it as one of her dream cars as well... ...

They probably ignored that fact though :doh: