• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

confirm my personality type?

Panrue

Hi! I'm new here, and I'm wondering if I could possibly have a hand in figuring out what my type really is. I've got mine narrowed down to three possibilities but I figured since y'all more experienced I'd come here. Thanks in advance!

I've consistently either tested as a INTJ with online questionnaires or as an INFJ via cognitive functions. However, when I was younger (~10) I was tested as an INFP. I don't see the INFP cognitive function stack reflective of my nature though, and it's hard for me to identify with that type. I haven't ruled it out completely unless there's substantial evidence against me being infp.

Some information about me that could be helpful? I'm not sure if I'm a developed intj, infj, or infp.

- people around me are surprised when I tell them I'm introverted because they think I'm sociable. I am definitely introverted because I work in a severely extroverted environment and I get drained by the end of five hours.

- I like discussing theory and musing about the world. I see the big picture with close friends of mine and we can easily summize world issues into one or two human traits

- I'm more of the "get it done" type of person (type A personality) but I slack off if I'm not invested in the task

- I like having a set plan whenever I do things but I'm not too anal if they change as long as I know in advance and could replan

- I'm interested in programming, but getting into the details, I'm not fond of. I like science but not the hard sciences. Physics, I like most from all of them. I was a business major in college but I disliked the materialistic perspectives they had going on. I'm now studying environment geography and I have a goal to work for international development organizations. I'm now much happier.

- I'm a quiet leader I think, and people come to me for help all the time? I've learned to put my needs first or else I don't get anything else done. One point though, is that while I like helping people they usually end up frustrating me? I ran a couple clubs back in high school and took all the IT courses available. Ran a business or two, and was set on being an entrepreneur. Wasn't a high achiever, but I did what I needed to do.

- I can be very sarcastic, biting, witty, and blunt. I'm independent (or I'd like to think so).

Any comments or ideas, about my type? Thanks, I'm just quite confused.

I

Infinite Bubble

Say ENxJ if you want, [MENTION=15318]Evee[/MENTION]. ;)

Panrue

I did an Enneagram test and typed as 1w9, if that helped. I'm not in the mood right now to do another test, but I might do so tonight or something.

Say ENxJ if you want, [MENTION=15318]Evee[/MENTION]. ;)

May I ask how you reached ENxJ from what I wrote? Just trying to pry a bit, that is all. I've never felt I'm an extrovert, but I could understand how people often fall onto different ranges on the introvert-extrovert spectrum. To me, extroversion is a learned trait, lol.

If it helps, my cognitive functions are ranked like this:
Se: 19.7
Si: 28.9
Ne: 23.9
Ni: 35.2
Te: 30
Ti: 34.8
Fe: 32.1
Fi: 35.8

I

Infinite Bubble

May I ask how you reached ENxJ from what I wrote? Just trying to pry a bit, that is all. I've never felt I'm an extrovert, but I could understand how people often fall onto different ranges on the introvert-extrovert spectrum. To me, extroversion is a learned trait, lol.

If it helps, my cognitive functions are ranked like this:
Se: 19.7
Si: 28.9
Ne: 23.9
Ni: 35.2
Te: 30
Ti: 34.8
Fe: 32.1
Fi: 35.8

No, I don't think you are that... best fit appears to be INTJ. Just don't be one of those wannabes that starts to become a self-fulfilling prophecy as they begin to play chess too much and staring at people until they're turned to stone.

Panrue

No, I don't think you are that... best fit appears to be INTJ. Just don't be one of those wannabes that starts to become a self-fulfilling prophecy as they begin to play chess too much and staring at people until they're turned to stone.

Haha, good. If I was an ENxJ I'd have an identity crisis, no joke lol. Would you say then I'm a more developed INTJ compared to the INTJs I know in real life? I'm just looking at my Fi, and it's substantially high. Perhaps it's got to do with the fact I'm a girl and have been pressured to act within societal norms? Heck, I'm not even sure anymore.

Chess was never my thing, lol. So you don't need to worry about that bit. I'm skeptical about INTJ mostly because I'm a girl, and I read about how female INTJs are rather rare, but it can't be all like what people proclaim INTJ females to be? lol

It's just that

- I can empathize with others just fine
- I don't agree with some of the mentalities other INTJs I know in real life have
- I don't believe in "ends justify the means" which said INTJs seem to uphold
- I'm not interested in hard sciences, which INTJs apparently are brilliant at?

Maybe that's just a stereotype, but those are the few points that make me doubt I'm an actual INTJ lol.

Panrue

Thing that caught my eye, as well.

Mind-mates.

How so?

I was pushed out of my comfort zone to work in retail but it isn't all that bad, I have to say. Dealing with customers is one thing but I've grown used to talking to people day in and day out.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
mbti doesnt tell you who you are, you tell who you are.

Mbti is just help for morons who have neither empathy nor fantasy :)

I

Infinite Bubble

Haha, good. If I was an ENxJ I'd have an identity crisis, no joke lol. Would you say then I'm a more developed INTJ compared to the INTJs I know in real life? I'm just looking at my Fi, and it's substantially high. Perhaps it's got to do with the fact I'm a girl and have been pressured to act within societal norms? Heck, I'm not even sure anymore.

Chess was never my thing, lol. So you don't need to worry about that bit. I'm skeptical about INTJ mostly because I'm a girl, and I read about how female INTJs are rather rare, but it can't be all like what people proclaim INTJ females to be? lol

It's just that

- I don't agree with some of the mentalities other INTJs I know in real life have

Maybe that's just a stereotype, but those are the few points that make me doubt I'm an actual INTJ lol.

Well, yes they're just stereotypes, but then again, it was also stereotypes that lead me to believe INTJ is the best fit. Then again, by choosing the four letters you are choosing to be labelled a stereotype.

Pick whichever you think suits you, and if you can't, pick a type out of a hat.

Panrue

Well, yes they're just stereotypes, but then again, it was also stereotypes that lead me to believe INTJ is the best fit. Then again, by choosing the four letters you are choosing to be labelled a stereotype.

Pick whichever you think suits you, and if you can't, pick a type out of a hat.

Of course, I don't mean it that way. I appreciate your response, and I might just settle with INTJ.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Of course, I don't mean it that way. I appreciate your response, and I might just settle with INTJ.

I MIGHT just settle with intj. Thats nor relly decisive.

Alea_iacta_est

It's just that

First, a deficiency of empathy isn't a sign of being an INTJ, a deficiency of empathy is a sign of a disorder. Empathy is present in all individuals without a disorder that harbors a deficiency in it, though certain personality types like the INTJ may not show it openly.

Second, disagreeing with others' viewpoints is a side affect of being an independent entity, not a side affect of being a different personality type than someone else. Now, if you disagree with how individuals of a certain type operate and "think", then that warrants the thought that you might not be the same type as them.

Third, "Ends justify the means" is actually more characteristic of the Extroverted Thinking function itself, and is much more pronounced in the ENTJ (a Result type*) than the INTJ (a Process type*). Though, again, "Ends justify the means" is a mantra held by certain individuals, and is not indicative of an entire personality type.

Fourth, while INTJs may be more inclined toward the hard sciences, it is by no means a certain guarantee due to an exceeding amount of variables.

My last point is that, while Myers Briggs appears to set you in little boxes and tell you who you are with a dogmatic set of characteristics, actual personality type simply points to how you operate as a person.

*in Socionics, in which ENTJ = LIE and INTJ = ILI

Panrue

Now, if you disagree with how individuals of a certain type operate and "think", then that warrants the thought that you might not be the same type as them.

This, I think. My INTJ friend operates from a complete Ni-Te, and while I think it might be due to the fact he hasn't developed his tertiary function yet, we often butt heads against each other when it comes to reaching a decision. I often act as the voice of reason, in terms of saying things like "What about others? What do they think? Are you sure your conclusions take into consideration human integrity / values / et cetera?" Though I agree he might be just an odd case that I've encountered.

For example, he volunteers with non profit organizations to understand their organizational structure, make them more efficient, and is often seen working towards causes I know he's not personally invested in, for the sole purpose of "solving" the organizations' structures.

Whereas, I volunteer from an alturistic perspective, enjoying the process of envisioning a goal, developing a long-term solution, bringing like-minded individuals to move towards the idealized solution together while growing along with the team along the way. I'm in it for more of a humanistic reason I would like to say, compared to him who is in it for "scientific" purposes.

That's just one of the larger differences between him and I, and while I know it's not indicative of "all INTJs should behave this way" it's one of the issues that I often have against him, and one we argue about.

Other than that, I agree with your statements. Most of the worries I have are the result of reading about INTJ behaviors, which tend to amount to stereotyping.. Thanks!