• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New to MBTI and undecided about my type

Gollum

Hello! I have taken several MBTI tests and have gotten some widely varying results. I identify with a number of the type descriptions I've read and at this point I don't know what my actual type is.

Some things about me:
-I'm definitely an introvert, that much is certain. I like to be alone with my mind, and I'm satisfied with a few close friends. Being around a lot of people wears me out very quickly.

-I'm in college and enjoying the experience very much, though I'm not much of a social butterfly. I was originally a math major but then realized I only liked the philosophical angle of math and not the drudgery of math homework three times a week, so I switched to classical studies. I mostly make good grades, though I wouldn't call myself an exemplary student... I'm a bit of a slacker and I tend to procrastinate, and I don't even study all that much outside of class. But I write well, usually remember points/concepts after seeing them only once, and am good at drawing connections between the main ideas in a class, and this usually saves me when exam time comes around. I also tend to find concepts I enjoy and become obsessed with them for a while... a recent example was Joseph Campbell's monomyth, we were assigned to write a paper of at least 2 pages on it, I wrote 12. A couple of my professors are nudging me towards going into academia after I graduate, but I'm undecided about whether I want to do that.

-I get lost in my head for extended stretches of time. I have intense imaginary conversations with people in my head or go off on mental rabbit trails of what direction my life could take and where I might end up in 10 years, or what would happen if a psycho gunman jumped out from behind that clump of bushes and started shooting. These daydreams are extremely vivid and sometimes I have to consciously shake myself out of them.

-I love making stuff. I knit and make jewelry, and I just love learning new techniques and choosing colors and touching the materials and holding the finished product. It's so satisfying and it feels indulgent, like taking a break from living in my head.

-I've wanted to be a writer since I first learned to read. I love poetry because it feels like the distillation of life... I have a difficult time studying poetry for classes because I just want to swoon over it and write "holy shit" in the margins where the words are particularly beautiful. (Except if it's Ezra Pound because no.) I like prose too, but I'm more interested in a work's ideas and mood than in the actual storytelling... I tend to get interesting starting points in my head (a woman is impregnated by a dandelion seed; you meet a person who doesn't have a belly button) but then not know where to go with them. I'm good at symbolism and structure but really bad at characters.

-I don't particularly like most people. Not that I dislike them either; I'm just indifferent to their existence, unless they happen to be one of the (few) people I love. I do not make friends easily, even when I've known people for a long time, and I tend to be very awkward (example: often I don't even try to make small talk anymore, because I hate it and am bad at it, even if it creates an awkward silence). The worst job I can imagine is one where I'd have to be dealing with people and making nice all day.

-I do not want to live a "normal" life. The idea of trying to find a "good" job that involves punching a clock at 9 every morning to pay for a house that I'd fill up with useless crap, most of which I'd store and never look at again, and then being tied to that lifestyle and feeling like I could never leave it, seems like insanity to me, slavery really. I don't want stuff - I think it distracts from actually living life. I want to go places and learn things and create things and think my thoughts. I'm tentatively planning to live in a van and have a nomadic lifestyle after college... researching the hell out of it to get the logistics figured out, I know it would be a rather difficult path to choose and probably not a magical hippie paradise as the stereotype makes it seem, but the freedom sounds so much better than most of the alternatives.

-Dunno how much bearing this has on my type, but the majority of the people I call friends are INxx types. My boyfriend is an INFP, and I "click" with him like no one else I have ever met, though in many ways we are quite different.

Thanks for reading! What type do I sound like to you?

Jinn

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
These a lot Se. You seems ISTP.
What you think about ISTP/INTP description?

Gollum

Hmmm, perhaps. Agree that I use Se (and Ni). I read some ISTP descriptions and I do identify with most of them, but all the tests I've taken have pegged me as an N - though I know online tests aren't always accurate.

I'm not interested in stereotypical ISTP things like machines and I've never been much of one for taking things apart, but I guess I do a similar thing with the kinds of crafts I like. Knitting/crochet, bookbinding, even cooking. I have a good sense of how things should physically fit together and what techniques to use to create a sound finished piece.

ISTPs aren't particularly known for being intellectual though, are they? I tend towards that direction... I'm even considering becoming a college professor eventually. I'm good at going to school and there's something about academia that appeals to me, even though it sort of feels stifling at the same time.

Another thing: I tend to be preoccupied with philosophical ideas and one of my main "thought-projects" is trying to create a unified concept of How Existence Works. I used to smoke a lot of weed (not so much anymore, but I liked it because it made my synesthesia go through the roof, among other reasons) and often it would make me feel like I was channeling something - I'd grab paper and pen and just go with all the thoughts that were streaming into my head. I conceptualized the Universe/Multiverse/AllThatIs as different shapes/layers and... yeah, I'm getting into crazy loony territory here :p It sorta makes sense only in my head, I think, but it actually did help me refine how I conceptualized reality.

I like creating detailed plans and systems as well - everything from when/how I'm going to do my homework to systems of self-bribery for achieving my goals, though I don't always stick to them for very long. I work most easily at a big-picture, overview level, but I'm also good at breaking the big picture down and figuring out exactly what steps I need to take to achieve something. Does this sound like an ISTP thing?

I don't think I am an INTP because I do not relate to descriptions of Ne and especially Si. My boyfriend, who knows me well, thinks I am an INTJ. That seems to describe me pretty well too, but I'm not sure how to tell whether I use Te or Ti - they both seem fairly accurate at times.

I

Infinite Bubble

I'm almost certain you are an INTx. Probably INTJ. Do you relate more to Ni or Ne (I found possible evidence for both in your post), or, if you'd rather, Ti or Te?

-I do not want to live a "normal" life. The idea of trying to find a "good" job that involves punching a clock at 9 every morning to pay for a house that I'd fill up with useless crap, most of which I'd store and never look at again, and then being tied to that lifestyle and feeling like I could never leave it, seems like insanity to me, slavery really. I don't want stuff - I think it distracts from actually living life. I want to go places and learn things and create things and think my thoughts.

Wow, are you me?