• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Please Help. Interesting Case...I Hope. xNTx

Athernado

Hello,
I have had a bit of an issue determining my classification using the MBTI assessment. Right now I have it down to xNTx. Concerning E vs I, I am suspicious because in high school I scored the exact opposite than I did just recently. I am currently 21 years old. I would normally write off results like this as subjective to things like mood, but the results were rather extreme in both instances with my preference in either being rather strong. This was semi cleared up for me when I started reading about shadow cognitive functions that the brain resorts to in times of stress. I understand this fully but do not understand why I would have experienced both separately for such extended periods of time. I also believe that the results I got in high school could have been heavily influenced and directed by an organization I was involved with, which I will not mention to avoid any bias. As far as P vs. J I only had a 1% preference on my most recent test and I do not recall any information about my high school scores in this category.

Though psychology intrigues me and my understanding is extensive, I have trouble assessing myself using predetermined profiles, as I’m sure a number of people do. To put it most simply, when not figuring out the answer to a complex problem is more of an active process than it is passive, it can be difficult to compare a profile to myself objectively. So in hopes of some answers, I come humbly before you a man held hostage by his mind from understanding it. Haha (dramatic classical music).

Let me explain a bit about myself. Please do not misunderstand anything below as arrogant, it is exactly the opposite, these are my observations and I consider them objective.

I was a gifted child growing up. At just 18 months I was assembling 50+ piece puzzles.

I have always been mature for my age, usually seeing my peers as childish. Since I could speak, adults have marveled at my ability to converse with them just as another adult.

My mother used to read to me in the womb and never spoke to me in “baby talk” but rather even before I could speak would speak to me and explain things to me as an adult.

The first few years of schooling are a not very fond in my memory, but I do recall always performing above the other kids.

Around the age of 9 or 10 I started taking assessment tests at school. In nearly every category I consistently scored post high school mastery all the way through 8th grade.

I went to private schools with harder curriculums Kindergarten through 12th grade. I got my first B when I was 15. (I went through a rebellious stage.)

I graduated with a 4.0 and never really had any study practices, juggled 4 years of year-round basketball, student government, charity work, etc. . I was the perfect student, involved in everything and all I had to do to get an A on a final was review the notes for an hour the night before.

I got a full-ride scholarship to a 4 year university. 1 of 30 they give away to all the valedictorians that apply in California.

So to summarize my academic career, the first time I ever felt remotely challenged was the first semester of Advanced Placement Calculus in the 12th grade. And even still I attribute that to sleeping in literally every class the first semester. 2nd semester I stayed awake every class and passed the AP exam with maybe 90 min of studying.

Now that I am in college and my mom isn't on my back about school I really don't care much for it. I am still attending class but in the past 3 years I have learned more in my free time than from school work.

Some other interesting facts that may or may not be of any relevance:
I have a few strange genetic dispositions and mutations.

First being I cannot filter heavy metals i.e. Mercury, lead, etc. Research has shown this mutation is often associated with autism and intelligence. But I'm not an expert on that topic.

Also I am almost completely cross dominant or mixed handed. I took the handedness test and scored +6 points right handed on a scale from -40 to +40. I know most people have some sort of cross dominance but mine is almost complete. I write left handed, play sports right handed and footed, my right ear is dominant and left eye is dominant. I found that in those particular cases children either develop learning disabilities or develop rewired brains with new nerve connections to utilize both sides of the brain simultaneously to avoid stimuli entering the body from different sides (left eye or right ear) and causing an incomplete thought. This rewired brain allows for twice the processing power (organic RAM), giving the subject the ability to process large amounts of information quickly. This can be displayed in one’s ability to play fast paced racing games, use flight simulators, or drive in heavy traffic with ease. These are all things I am exceptional at. I know there is not much research on the effects of handedness but I thought it worth mentioning.

Below I have included my answers to a number of questions I found on other posts similar to this. I want this to be as comprehensive as possible, so if something is confusing or incomplete or you would like to ask more questions please do not hesitate to mention it. I know this is a lot and I’m sure it seems like I might be an egotistical sociopath, but I really appreciate the insight and support. Please also include any credentials you may have in your response. Thank You.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
See above.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I want to be able to do nothing but learn, theorize and create for the rest of my life. If I had a job where for example every day I was given a complicated problem (i.e. Traffic in a city, hunger in Africa, carbon emissions, etc.) and then was given any resource I needed to solve that issue that would be ideal. I want to be able to theorize then share, increase the conscious of the general population, and catalyst change.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I feel my finest when I figure out something that no one else has before or when I catch an observation and theorize about it till I come to a conclusion then do research and find that I came to the same conclusion that some MIT graduates did after years of studying. I feel good when I'm right, when I grasp concepts, and when I create feasible theories for possibilities in the future.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
I don't really feel inferior to anyone, I just feel different sometimes. If I had to choose an aspect of my life I feel is inferior or under developed it would be expression. I am always sharing my thoughts but RARELY share my feelings. I feel they belong solely to me and it seems weak to share emotions. I understand why people do it, why they need it, but for me I feel no need to share emotions. Seems pointless. I usually only do so when trying to persuade someone of something that I find rational.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
When making a decision I weigh everything into consideration, pros and cons, possibilities, past experiences, opinions, research and consequences. I rarely consider feelings unless the decision is involving a person I feel is emotional.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Yes. I need to make sure things are done correctly but I usually try to guide the other participants. I ask questions to try to indirectly guide their thinking. I usually solve the problem or create a theory before the project even starts but I feel bad just saying the answer or doing it myself. I want other people to feel involved but I don't want them to mess it up.

7) Describe to us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Well I had to think about this one a while but I would say riding my dirt bike as a child. I loved manipulating the bike using my knowledge of physics. I remember scenes and instances of the activity that were fun but the real fun I remember came from my understanding and natural mastery of the bike.
Also my dad and I used to try to solve theoretical situations. He is a cop so he would create a certain police strategy issue and then I would offer a plan and solution. The game was my idea, obviously.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc.)
Well memorization is scary easy for me. For example when I try to delete a girls number I can't look at the screen because I will never forget it if I see it. I understand that is subjective to the situation but it applies to many experiences I have had.
Usually when I want to learn something I just do research on it till I fully understand the available knowledge then to the best of my ability apply what I know to theorize a conclusion about the topic comparing it to similar and opposing ideas and theories.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
My room is messy but I know exactly where everything is. Most of my organization comes from systems I create for efficiency. I usually keep the rest of the house clean and organized though.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
OK here is an example. I recently found interest in string theory and space-time fabric. First I researched how it worked and the theories behind it (this is what most interests me) then after that I researched arguments for and against the topic to get some perspective before I came to a conclusion.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Well this is a confusing question. Haha
I would say I feel bad when someone doesn't belong and I try to make them comfortable.
Don't know how to further answer that.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I definitely choose my words carefully. I need to make sure my point gets across and is exactly what I mean.
I prefer 1 on 1 communication. I don't mind group discussions but I don't particularly like to participate. I feel group discussions are unorganized and ineffective.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where you are jumping before leaping? Does action speak more than words?
Spontaneity is not my thing. I need to have a plan or some sort of prior knowledge. Improvising is extremely easy for me but I need something to work off of, something to build on.
Yes. Actions speak louder than words.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I RARELY get stressed out. Stress is unnecessary and pointless. Usually when something really inconvenient happens I just can't help but laughing at how ridiculous my situation is.
When I can't help but getting stressed I usually just put up a sort of filter and shut out everything that doesn't help me accomplish the task at hand. I usually come off blunt and rude, very down-to-business attitude.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Oh gosh! Let me see... Incompetence, ignorance, irrationality (decisions influenced by emotion), and when people just don't care about something I know is important.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
If I find someone that can hold a conversation about complex social issues or theoretical sciences then I am in heaven. I really dislike discussing topics with no meaning or consequence. My favorite conversations are meaningful ones.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
I ignore gossip. I have no interest in drama.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception?? What would your friends never say about your personality?
They say I'm smart, calm, funny and quiet. People see me as the go-to-guy. Some people see me as shy which couldn't be further from the truth. I don't care to initiate conversation without any intention but have absolutely no social anxiety except that I hate large crowds.
People would never say I'm aggressive, competitive, or rash.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Well I don't particularly like doing things during the day. I'm a night owl. I would probably sleep in late then do some reading, find some place relaxing to clear my head (usually the beach), get a nice quiet dinner, then spend the rest of my night watching documentaries, writing, and reading probably till 4 or 5 a.m.

LanaBanana

MBTI Type
XXFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My best bet is INTP.

Athernado

Thanks for the feedback! After more research and another, better test I agree.
Do you feel any of the factors mentioned before the questions affects cognitive process?

LanaBanana

MBTI Type
XXFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thanks for the feedback! After more research and another, better test I agree.
Do you feel any of the factors mentioned before the questions affects cognitive process?

You are clearly an introvert, but intuation plays a big role in your life, hence Ne as a supporting function. The only option are INFP/INTP, and INFP is not right; you don't like irrationality, you don't share your feelings easily, you aren't really emtional- so, INTP. But it's just my opinion! You're the person who knows better.