• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyped TypeCentral Members

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No you have to have Ti to comprehend posts. Ti is intellectual interpretation and seeing variables to make a conclusion.

N technically has very little to do with interpreting things -- you need a judgment function to interpret because it's a rational process. It simply involves perceiving what isn't there -- it's visionary perception.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Flack ESFJ. His posts give others too much of a warm fuzzy feeling. He's all about the peace too.

It's true. There are a lot of ESFJs masquerading as NTs over here.
Me, for example.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I already told yall! My type is not INTJ! Not ISTJ!

But ESTJ!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Hmm, so ISTJ in your system is Ti-Se.

I claim I am Ti-Ne.

Hmm, Ti-Se tends not to be interested in discussing complex ideas. Certainly would not bother elaborating them in tedious detail.

You seem to be confusing S detail (attention to concrete, physical detail, like for example noticing a small scratch on your car) and conceptual detail. Conceptual detail is most notable among Ti-Ne mathematicians and logicians. They often take over a 100 steps to complete their proof. It is also notable among philosophers, as we see there are many books written by Ti-Ne philosophers (such as Aristotle, Hegel, and William James) that are over 500 pages long.

The ideas in those books are founded on a few axioms, which they explain very thoroughly. Thus there is detail to logical nuance.

Clearly, the work of thinkers with a dominant Intuition is different in this regard, they do not devote nearly as much time to explaining the nuance of their reasoning.

Generally all of us tend to focus on things that capture our interest. So, Ts, especially INTPs (Introverted Thinking is the quintissence of Thinking or logical reasoning, and logic is by its nature abstract, therefore Ti-Ne is more in line with logical reasoning than Ti-SE), are fascinated with the nuance of logical reasoning.

Thus, the reason my posts are this tedious is because I outline my reasoning in detail. That is in closest affinity with Ti-Ne for reasons stated above. Ti-Se would be interested in a different kind of detail. Detail that pertain to the concrete, physical world. They are generally concerned with analysis of what can be observed with their 5 senses, for this reason Ti-Se are distinctly represented among mechanics.

Ti-Se as you describe it implies ISTP, but these functions don't directly correlate to my system. If you would like to learn the mechanics of my alternate function system, read at least the OP of this thread. http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...45-jack-flak-s-function-system-adventure.html There was and is, however, much discussion beyond the OP in which more was defined in posts, as I'm not an excellent essayist.

ISTJ under my system has Thinking for the Primary function, and Sensing for the support function. Direction of these functions is undefined. My reasoning for typing you as ISTJ includes the assessment that you commonly acquire facts and relay them, but do not generally relay the results of strong Intuition as I define it.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ti-Se as you describe it implies ISTP, but these functions don't directly correlate to my system. If you would like to learn the mechanics of my alternate function system, read at least the OP of this thread. http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...45-jack-flak-s-function-system-adventure.html There was and is, however, much discussion beyond the OP in which more was defined in posts, as I'm not an excellent essayist.

ISTJ under my system has Thinking for the Primary function, and Sensing for the support function. Direction of these functions is undefined. My reasoning for typing you as ISTJ includes the assessment that you commonly acquire facts and relay them, but do not generally relay the results of strong Intuition as I define it.

It is implausible to maintain that direction is irrelevant. If you are to say I am a dominant Thinking type and also an Introverted type, you are inevitably marrying Introversion and Thinking. Therefore direction is necessarily defined, thus this is an explicit contradiction in your system.

One's respect for logical reasoning (as denoted by the dominant Thinking faculy) leads one to respect the facts. This is the case because logical reasoning often evinces inaccurate information in the form of contradictions. For this reason logicians are interested not only in logical validity, but also in the truth of their premises. In order to acquire true premises, one must be in tune with the facts.

Therefore, this shows that affinity with the Sensing faculty is not the only thing that could inspire one to respect the facts.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
It is implausible to maintain that direction is irrelevant. If you are to say I am a dominant Thinking type and also an Introverted type, you are inevitably marrying Introversion and Thinking. Therefore direction is necessarily defined, thus this is an explicit contradiction in your system.
It's complicated. Introversion affects the use of Thinking. To explicitly define how, though, would mean at least occasional incorrectness. I've gone into this in the linked thread. Orangey's posts are excellent, and she's a better writer than I.

One's respect for logical reasoning (as denoted by the dominant Thinking faculy) leads one to respect the facts. This is the case because logical reasoning often evinces inaccurate information in the form of contradictions. For this reason logicians are interested not only in logical validity, but also in the truth of their premises. In order to acquire true premises, one must be in tune with the facts.
^The Thinking Primary's religion is logical processing of data.

Therefore, this shows that affinity with the Sensing faculty is not the only thing that could inspire one to respect the facts.
Sensing does that, though even Sensing Primaries have powers of Intuition in "reserve."

From another thread:

Intelligible means possible to understand.

Some of his statements are impossible to understand without obvious modifications of our techniques of communication. Therefore some of his statements are unintelligible.

This is a very ISTJ post, and I could find countless other examples. I now know why I didn't understand your motivation before, working under the assumption that you were INTP. Now I understand it. You are extremely logical, and intelligent, but much more concerned with Thinking than Intution, and much more concerned with hard data than new possibilities. Everyone uses the Intuition function, of course, but it's only a "reserve" function in the case of the ISTJ.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's complicated. Introversion affects the use of Thinking. To explicitly define how, though, would mean at least occasional incorrectness. I've gone into this in the linked thread. Orangey's posts are excellent, and she's a better writer than I.

^The Thinking Primary's religion is logical processing of data.

Sensing does that, though even Sensing Primaries have powers of Intuition in "reserve."

From another thread:

This is a very ISTJ post, and I could find countless other examples. I now know why I didn't understand your motivation before, working under the assumption that you were INTP. Now I understand it. You are extremely logical, and intelligent, but much more concerned with Thinking than Intution, and much more concerned with hard data than new possibilities. Everyone uses the Intuition function, of course, but it's only a "reserve" function in the case of the ISTJ.

It is true that Intuition is of ancillary importance in the case of a dominant Thinking type, which you call the ITJ.

The difference between ISTJ (Ti-Se) and INTJ (Ti-Ne) is that in the case of the former Intuition is used to support concrete, sensorial observations. That is exactly the case in the scenario of a mechanic that I have mentioned earlier.

In the case of the INTJ, Intuition is used directly to support logical analysis. That is what I do, I do look for new possibilities and ideas (otherwise I would not be interested in theory) in order to find a way to properly analyze subjects that I am interested in.

Thus, the main difference between the ISTJ and the INTJ is that the former tends not to be much interested in abstract ideas, yet the latter is.

If an ISTJ (Ti-Se) was a philosopher or a scientist, he would not want to deal with abstractions like typology. Instead he would want to concern himself with ideas that one could study without heavy reliance on imagination. For example, he would want to rely very heavily on empirical investigation, he would want to avoid complex chains of reasoning, as they require a heavy reliance on imagination.

I rely very heavily on complex chains of reasoning.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Thus, the main difference between the ISTJ and the INTJ is that the former tends not to be much interested in abstract ideas, yet the latter is.
Yes and no. Many ISTJs are fully interested in studying abstract concepts, theories. The more intelligent you are, the more likely this becomes, and you are obviously extremely intelligent. It is the preference for the tried and true as opposed to going out on a limb, and the preference for concrete data which leads me to type you as ISTJ.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes and no. Many ISTJs are fully interested in studying abstract concepts, theories. The more intelligent you are, the more likely this becomes, and you are obviously extremely intelligent. It is the preference for the tried and true as opposed to going out on a limb, and the preference for concrete data which leads me to type you as ISTJ.

Our lower functions (3rd and fourth) are those that we are less comfortable with.

In order to be intelligent, you must be competent at the use of Intuition.

An intelligent ISTJ will be competent at the use of Intuition. However, it is not his natural preference. Thus, he will use his intelligence to focus on studies where he is not forced to behave in a way contrary to his natural preferences. Namely, he would study subjects that do not require a heavy reliance on Intuition.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Our lower functions (3rd and fourth) are those that we are less comfortable with.
True, even under my system.

In order to be intelligent, you must be competent at the use of Intuition.
Regarding IQ, indeed. But there are types of what I would call effective intelligence which don't require much Intuition.
An intelligent ISTJ will be competent at the use of Intuition. However, it is not his natural preference.
Precisely, and your natural preferences are Thinking first, Sensing second, with Intuition and Feeling in reserve. If you are ISTJ, which if possible to prove, I would bet real money on at the moment.
Thus, he will use his intelligence to focus on studies where he is not forced to behave in a way contrary to his natural preferences. Namely, he would study subjects that do not require a heavy reliance on Intuition.
I think this is technically incorrect. The healthy mind of a person with a high IQ will naturally be interested in complex subjects.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Regarding IQ, indeed. But there are types of what I would call effective intelligence which don't require much Intuition..

True, but irrelevant because the intelligence we have in question is the kind that you claim I have, namely the intelligence that enables one to understand complex, abstract systems.

I think this is technically incorrect. The healthy mind of a person with a high IQ will naturally be interested in complex subjects.

That is true, however, the natural preferrence for what can be observed through the senses over what is not as easily observed through the senses will be clear.

Hence, if I was an ISTJ, my preference for the empirical method over that of rationalism (heavy reliance on abstract chains of reasoning ) would be obvious.

Thus, in summary, a smart ISTJ would have a strong Intuition, therefore he would excel at all intellectual endeavors, those that prescribe an empirical method, and those that prescribe the method of rationalism, however, he clearly would prefer the former over the latter.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
BlueWing is pure T.

He just doesn't have room for a perceiving function in that noggin of his.