• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyped TypeCentral Members

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can relate to that kind of relationship with Sx and So.

While the general and non-type-specific definition of So doesn't really resonate with me too much and fits as the overlooked "blind spot", the 4-specific So descriptions are a massive elephant in the room and probably always will be whether or not I use them to type again or not. For instance, I'll just drop this here. Mostly where the social 4 has fewer "anti-shame" defenses than the other two variants, can err by being too transparent about that vulnerability (while Sp and Sx would guard themselves more), and is given to social comparison. Not so much the one about the 4 as a social critic, though if you are close enough to me that I'd trust you with my anger, I do have some...passionate...things to say about those matters.

On the other hand, Sx is a hard sell if you're just looking at my behavior. I'm far from 8-like. However, what the dissonance between Sx's meaning as a dominant instinct and my behavior would have to imply if it were my dominant, is true and needs to be seen and dealt with. It's a little sickening to think that I've treated my needs that way, but it's a fact. While it could be easier to explain myself as a different type, the impetus then to face this habit of pushing back on my desires and real traits would be lost. As you say, I'm better served by the way I type now.

And yeah, contrary to popular images of the type, my fight with the Sx instinct precludes long-term relationships a lot more often than it draws me toward such a thing.

I guess I'm impressed by how many people here apparently don't go by behavior alone to judge type, because that was something I really struggled with while in the process of typing myself.

The only reason I began self typing as so-dom was after reading type 4 specific descriptions, as it combined with 4 described most of my significant hangups quite perfectly. I think many of the poor instinct tests and descriptions give a distinctive extroverted+ enneagram 1/3 flavor to defining so-dom. So, I don't really relate to any of those descriptions. Too, and this goes with 4, I'm actually pretty counterphobic in relation to so stuff. I yearn for a sense of community but I don't seek it out because I have had too many perceived failings or 'don't relate to this' issues in the past. The element of so dom I do relate to though is noticing social 'hierarchies' in a work environment, school setting, etc.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
The only reason I began self typing as so-dom was after reading type 4 specific descriptions, as it combined with 4 described most of my significant hangups quite perfectly. I think many of the poor instinct tests and descriptions give a distinctive extroverted+ enneagram 1/3 flavor to defining so-dom. So, I don't really relate to any of those descriptions. Too, and this goes with 4, I'm actually pretty counterphobic in relation to so stuff. I yearn for a sense of community but I don't seek it out because I have had too many perceived failings or 'don't relate to this' issues in the past. The element of so dom I do relate to though is noticing social 'hierarchies' in a work environment, school setting, etc.

What do you mean by community?

Do you feel like you want to be a part of something, but you can't because you see yourself to NOT value what others value in life ...because you're so inherently different from the norm?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you mean by community?

Do you feel like you want to be a part of something to be like everyone else, but you can't because you see yourself to NOT value what others value in life?

Sure, part of the issue with all 4's is an inclination to believe that they are somehow 'different than' everyone else, set apart from everyone else in some fundamental way (and not in a warm and fuzzy 'oh I'm unique' way). That's the illusion/pull any 4 will always need to fight against. Social 4 has the push/pull of desiring to find common ground/a group of like-minded people, similar values, something larger than self/outside of self, common purpose. However with 4 added to that, there's also that pushback of finding difficulty in finding that, whether self-inflicted/self-fulfilling, or simply a very unique value set that does differ from much of the 'norm'. For me I think there's a bit of both going on. I do think I have values and interests that have always been in the minority of my own peer/age group. I also have always been sensitive to social nuances and the 4 element of 'feeling different from' others makes any sort of group 'merge' difficult, or it may not even be desirable for introverts; it's always a push/pull (also as an introvert and a 4, the whole 'Group'/community desire isn't really the same as it might be for an extrovert; it's more of this abstract thing for me, maybe -- just being part of a purpose/ with people who share my way of life/ value what work towards/care about similar to what I do. :shrug: ). Wanting to fit in, knowing when you don't. Seeking places to fit in.

So it's not really wanting to 'be like everyone else', unless just generically speaking, wanting to have friends, purpose, common ground like most people want. Everyone probably desires that. When I say community it's more of in a family/close-knit sense I think. People together with a similar vision/purpose? :shrug:

There've been other so-doms on the forum in the past who have said similar, that so-dom isn't always about the stuff you see on the tests, re status, being part of tons of organizations (I think that's *a* flavor of so-dom, but certainly not an e4 flavor), it can often also be more counterphobic, more of a lifelong desire /search for/seeking out like-minded people/groups, though being aware the notion may be a bit of an illusion too, thus not really being a part of anything, just flitting around or dipping toes in and quickly retreating.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol i wish but i'm way too Ne to be one like i said give me examples via functions not stereotypes

You post very little and demand I give your full cognitive explanations of it all, a vibe from me is all you're gonna get from me now.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
Sure, part of the issue with all 4's is an inclination to believe that they are somehow 'different than' everyone else, set apart from everyone else in some fundamental way (and not in a warm and fuzzy 'oh I'm unique' way). That's the illusion/pull any 4 will always need to fight against. Social 4 has the push/pull of desiring to find common ground/a group of like-minded people, similar values, something larger than self/outside of self, common purpose. However with 4 added to that, there's also that pushback of finding difficulty in finding that, whether self-inflicted/self-fulfilling, or simply a very unique value set that does differ from much of the 'norm'. For me I think there's a bit of both going on. I do think I have values and interests that have always been in the minority of my own peer/age group. I also have always been sensitive to social nuances and the 4 element of 'feeling different from' others makes any sort of group 'merge' difficult, or it may not even be desirable for introverts; it's always a push/pull (also as an introvert and a 4, the whole 'Group'/community desire isn't really the same as it might be for an extrovert; it's more of this abstract thing for me, maybe -- just being part of a purpose/ with people who share my way of life/ value what work towards/care about similar to what I do. :shrug: ). Wanting to fit in, knowing when you don't. Seeking places to fit in.

So it's not really wanting to 'be like everyone else', unless just generically speaking, wanting to have friends, purpose, common ground like most people want. Everyone probably desires that. When I say community it's more of in a family/close-knit sense I think. People together with a similar vision/purpose? :shrug:

There've been other so-doms on the forum in the past who have said similar, that so-dom isn't always about the stuff you see on the tests, re status, being part of tons of organizations (I think that's *a* flavor of so-dom, but certainly not an e4 flavor), it can often also be more misanthropic, more of a lifelong desire /search for/seeking out like-minded people/groups, though being aware the notion may be a bit of an illusion too, thus not really being a part of anything, just flitting around or dipping toes in and quickly retreating.

Thank you so much for sharing. I feel like this should be the description for so-dom four. I also agree a social 4s issue is about struggling to find their place in society. Whatever the 4 values, no one else seems to value. A social 4 always notices how everyone can fit in with society (whether that be hook-up culture, drug culture, marriage culture, academic culture ...whatever). And you're right ...they don't want to be like everyone else so they don't want what others have nor do they value what others value, but they do seek a sense of purpose. They care about finding meaning in the world and they wish they can connect with others who can understand their perspective/sense of meaning too. Except they may not even try to find the connection they crave because they know they will be disappointed anyway.

I guess a social 4s struggle boils down to thinking that they cannot find what it is that they value out there in the real world?

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You post very little

I don't find the topics here very interesting. I think people are too communal here and I don't fit in with that.

and demand I give your full cognitive explanations of it all
Alright, you're starting to sound quite dramatic now. I already stated in the beginning that I don't want explanations based on stereotypes.

a vibe from me is all you're gonna get from me now.
Which is no use to anyone but yourself.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't find the topics here very interesting. I think people are too communal here and I don't fit in with that.

Alright, you're starting to sound quite dramatic now. I already stated in the beginning that I don't want explanations based on stereotypes.

There are quite a lot of independent members I assure you. For example the 2 that liked your post yet I bet they wouldn't comply to your demand if they take the vigil all the better

Humans are naturally selfish so why demand more than you can give? It's basic economics

Well you're literally expecting too much of anyone.

It's like you give me an orange and expect a nice fresh gallon of orange juice out of that orange alone.

"And oh I want it pulp free thanks"

I'm like I need more oranges.
No you don't. You're sounding dramatic.
Then expect a cup.
It's only for yourself.
But I'm giving it to you.

:doh:

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Come on you can have loads of fun on here, you should start joining in on debates and fluff threads as being a anti-social grump is no fun :). I think to start off with just comment in the fluff and quiz sections.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Come on you can have loads of fun on here, you should start joining in on debates and fluff threads as being a anti-social grump is no fun :). I think to start off with just comment in the fluff and quiz sections.

Dear Jar Jar,

Why do you have more Fe than I do.

Love,

ESFJ: antisocial grump.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I don't have to do anything.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not sure about her MBTI type but i'm ~80% confident [MENTION=24618]misfortuneteller[/MENTION] is a 6 core.

I sometimes wonder if [MENTION=1180]miss fortune[/MENTION] is actually a 7 or just an absurdly healthy and well-integrated 8.

I still see more Te dominance than Ni in [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] but the overall picture is close enough to work for me.

I think [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] is 2 fixed.

But most importantly, why am I suddenly Fi > Fe?

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure about her MBTI type but i'm ~80% confident [MENTION=24618]misfortuneteller[/MENTION] is a 6 core.

I sometimes wonder if [MENTION=1180]miss fortune[/MENTION] is actually a 7 or just an absurdly healthy and well-integrated 8.

I still see more Te dominance than Ni in [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] but the overall picture is close enough to work for me.

Because you are a glob of goo.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

what would you find more interesting? i would like to see some new topics, and if you have some good ideas i would participate (i am sure others would also)... as for people being communal, i assume you mean cliquish... i don't have a real solution for that, but i don't think that Everyone is divided into "private clubs"... *shrugs*

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

I def have some 2 traits in me, i've never been able to figure out my e type.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have to do anything.

I totally feel you on the topics here being not very interesting. I am here only because of a couple of friends.

If I really wanted topics, I'd go to somewhere like Reddit. Always something new everyday. It's effectively my new newspaper.

And you're right that you don't have to do anything (here). It's why I am only active once a year. I have more interesting things to do, like play World of Warcraft, witty banter with my best friends and/or travel around. Sooner or later you'll look back and think to yourself, "Why did I care so much about what a bunch of pixels think about me?"