• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyped TypeCentral Members

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've just got to wonder, though...

Why is BlueWing picking to bicker over Poriferan over everyone else? Is he just that special?

Obviously, this question is on my mind, too. You know how much time he must have taken? :huh:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Obviously, this question is on my mind, too. You know how much time he must have taken? :huh:

He hates F and he thinks you have too much F, so therefore he doesn't want you in his INTP gang.

...Or maybe he's just got nothing better to do and this is what he does when he's bored out of his mind.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...Or maybe he's just got nothing better to do and this is what he does when he's bored out of his mind.

That makes me feel pretty unlucky. Of all the directions his boredom could take him, he winds up trying to pick me apart with pages upon pages of material.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He hates F and he thinks you have too much F, so therefore he doesn't want you in his INTP gang.

Real Men of Genius: BLUE WING {cue Cheesy Beer commercial music/voice over}

{singing} " REEAAAALL MEN OF GENIUUUUUUUUUU-UUUUSSSS ..... Mr Way Too Long of Posts-forum know it all" {/singing}

We salute you, mr "way too long of posts-forum know it all".
Without you, who else would be buying replacement keyboards....in bulk.
While most people come for the Myers Brigg, and stay for the emoticons,
You've got the REAL guts, the guts to take the bandwidth you DESERVE!
Some call it the egghead disease, others: diarrheas of the keyboard, and still yet others name it having way too much ****ing free time.
But not you! No! You carry on the masochistic sense of research and over thinking to make Rube Goldberg and Michael Moore's illegitimate childlike ball of neurotiscism proud!

{cue background singing: "paralysis by analysis!"}

So crack open an Ice cold Bud light Oh master of the carpal tunnel, the aspiring content editors of the room thank you for inspiring the slash and burn!

:D:devil:;)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
MP: your "title" as an INTP?

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I've given this a lot of thought over the last week or so and taken everyone's comments into account and here's what I've discovered. I am every type and every type is me. Moving forward. :)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I've given this a lot of thought and here's what I've discovered. I am every type and every type is me. Moving forward. :)

Every person possesses all functions to varying degrees of preference. So we all contain facets of every type. The way we choose or are made to prefer to behave gives us a type, but with maturity and experience we can access all the others. That's how we grow :)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Re: BlueWing's typing of MP

I can totally see why one wouldn't want to be branded an F by BlueWing since he has a whole set of lore about Fs that isn't very flattering. Still, I've long thought MP seemed more INFPish (not an insult) than INTPish. Never bothered to build a case for it since *ahem* it doesn't matter, but after subtracting the anti-F bias from BlueWing's posts he makes a pretty solid one, IMO.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Thank you Ivy.

The problem in this thread is that so few people truly understand typology well enough to tell the difference between Ti and F.

Magic Poriferan does frequently, admit it or not, make value judgements. Regardless of visible emotions (which he dismissed as non-F or... inconclusively mistaken as F... whatever bullshit he was trying to throw down) there's still plenty of evidence -- more than just what BlueWing posted quotes of -- showing that he's more F than T.

Feeling judgement can be displayed in a number of ways. Sometimes by raw emotive action, or sometimes by professing values just like Thinking can be demonstrated by mean behavior, or can be identified by their thorough diagram of a concept.

They're not always present in the same situations.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All bluewing is doing is telling us about how poriferan didn't lay out each step of his 'arguement'- and in doing so, BW again displayed his own obvious Te preference yet again.

Ick, don't go there.

You're not allowed to use Te if you're an INTP?
Making an argument in a post where you lay out various steps is now grounds to dismiss an INTP read?
That's unrealistic. How else can you make an argument?

I have to say, if you also grow up in an environment that is antagonistic or seeks to devalue your opinion, you quickly pick up a Te-mentality in order to defend yourself, regardless of your type, at least if you're in the 'thinker' camp.

(As one example from my personal experience, the conservative church values Te thinking and devalues Ti in an argument, because it likes clear and detailed "proof" of your position and doesn't like ambiguity or conceptual thought very much as a basis for faith. I realized why I felt so awful much of the time in that environment; and part of it was that I was being forced to Te my belief statements when I just don't work that way naturally.)

On the other hand, INTPs often DON'T seem very logical to others, sometimes they don't even seem logical to other Ti's. Ti=INTROVERTED thinking.

I disagree with this. I think many INTP display their Ti in their postings.

I never said they don't display thier Ti.

I think in writing the Ti is far more obvious. In person or in casual dialogues, usually the Ne is much more visible, and since the Ti is always processing new information, it's hard to want to commit externally to a particular argument (which keeps it hidden too).

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ick, don't go there.

Making an argument in a post where you lay out various steps is now grounds to dismiss an INTP read?

I have to say, if you also grow up in an environment that is antagonistic or seeks to devalue your opinion, you quickly pick up a Te-mentality in order to defend yourself, regardless of your type, at least if you're in the 'thinker' camp.

(As one example from my personal experience, the conservative church values Te thinking and devalues Ti in an argument, because it likes clear and detailed "proof" of your position and doesn't like ambiguity or conceptual thought very much as a basis for faith. I realized why I felt so awful much of the time in that environment; and part of it was that I was being forced to Te my belief statements when I just don't work that way naturally.)
This is precisely my experience. Before getting into type, most of my time was on a Christian debate board, and it is all Te-land. They can take scripture ["proof"]-texts and make the Bible say anything anyone could possibly want it to say. They treated it just like a jigsaw puzzle (an analogy for Te use) with each individual "verse" as a piece, yet if you just take things in context and look for underlying frameworks and principles, then things begin to make more coherent sense.
And then growing up in an STJ environment, it was easy to learn and apply the argument skills. And then consider that Te is the "oppositional/backup" for Ti, Ne also seems to "project" it outward, it will be easy for the NTP to use Te. As I say, if you take ideas and theories apart, you have to put them back together again.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know if INTJs would go through such overkill in trying to get across their point...:shock:

He's an INTP with an underdeveloped auxiliary process. I think it's funny.

I agree with the people who say Magic Poriferan doesn't seem very T. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Stigmatic

MBTI Type
CLUE
Ick, don't go there.

Also, if you are already a T, adapting to an antagonistic environment could skew your true type to seem more J than you are. An ENTP ends up looking like an ENTJ.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also, if you are already a T, adapting to an antagonistic environment could skew your true type to seem more J than you are. An ENTP ends up looking like an ENTJ.

well, at least in terms of Te expression.

(The two ENTx types use different functions.)

That's how you can tease out the difference.
An ENTJ is Te + Ni + Se + Fi
An ENTP is Ne + Ti + Fe + Si.

An ENTP with Te forced on them could look like:
Te + Ti + Fe + Si
or
Te + Ne + Fe + Si
or some other weird combination.

But I think "Te" forced on someone usually squelches out the fuzzier/softer functions first. Eric B seems to suggest this as well -- that the Ne gets supplanted or channels Te outwards, rather than existing as itself per se.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah
as soon as i read that, i was like " wha ? "

but.....
subjective thinking could be equated to feeling-its more mystical than factual like Te

Fi is like saying subjective-subjectivity

thus, interchangeable

just why it was not said about Fe and Te, i will never know
well, that is until Ni comes out of nowhere wearing nothing but a cabana boy T-shirt and tells me

Thinking is generally condsidered "objective", based on logic and facts, while Feeling is considered subjective "values".

"extraverted attitudes" (outside use) is also considered "objective", while introverted attitudes are considered subjective, because they are taking place within the person. (For perception, the attitude is the "source" it is taken from, and for judgment, it is the "realm" it is used in).

Sensing (concrete perception) is also considered more "objective", while iNtuiting (abstract) is considered subjective, because it involves the person drawing from patterns and stuff.

I then came up with an idea of shorthanding the processes with "o" for "objective" and "u" for "subjective".

Se objective data from objective source O/O
Si objective data from subjective source O/U
Ne subjective data from objective source U/O
Ni subjective data from subjective source U/U
Te objective judgment in objective realm o/o
Ti objective judgment in subjective realm o/u
Fe subjective judgment in objective realm u/o
Fi subjective judgment in subjective realm u/u

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ick, don't go there.

I think in writing the Ti is far more obvious. In person or in casual dialogues, usually the Ne is much more visible, and since the Ti is always processing new information, it's hard to want to commit externally to a particular argument (which keeps it hidden too).

But why would an INTP use much Te in writing? One has all the time in the world to respond, and in general, writing leaves tons of space for expression of introverted functions.

You could argue using several principles and frameworks, without ever fully mentioning all of them.

If you feel so drawn to using Te in your writing, maybe you are a different type.

In general, I must admit I'm very dissapionted by how people are falling for BW's nonsense. I read MP's two long posts, they provided an EXCELLENT explaination, and one that looked a lot more like Ti than anything BW has ever written. In fact, MP may be one of the few "INTP"s who actually is an INTP.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But why would an INTP use much Te in writing? One has all the time in the world to respond, and in general, writing leaves tons of space for expression of introverted functions.

You could argue using several principles and frameworks, without ever fully mentioning all of them. If you feel so drawn to using Te in your writing, maybe you are a different type.

No, honestly, if you were brought up in a hostile environment, it filters into your writing. Were you brought up in a religious environment like I mentioned earlier? This was my experience directly: I felt like I had to "prove" my faith and would try to Te everything, get stuck in apologetic cycles, and generally feel shitty after awhile because it just was far too much detail and focus on external argument.

And this was in my WRITING.

It really gets in there and screws you up.

(Can you imagine trying to force Ti concepts through Te writing? You have to be extremely detailed... but you still have that 'web / big picture" thing going. So there's no end to the detail you need... and realistically there is also no way to translate a mental model into 2d Te-style linear terms, although you try and try, so you always feel inadequate and like you're failing.

True Te people don't care about a consistent big picture as much. They're more fine with choppy, little bullet-point proofs that only settle their particular point and then are just assumed to cover everything somehow. not as much need for nuance.)

The writing I was not ashamed or conflicted over was far more Ti and/or Ni in nature.

In general, I must admit I'm very dissapionted by how people are falling for BW's nonsense. I read MP's two long posts, they provided an EXCELLENT explaination, and one that looked a lot more like Ti than anything BW has ever written. In fact, MP may be one of the few "INTP"s who actually is an INTP.

I guess that's your opinion.

I've known BW for two years, and in a few other contexts and situations, so it doesn't appear to be nonsense to me. But you are entitled to your opinion.

And I see the point being made by those discussing Magic's type. (Personally, I don't know him well enough to involve myself, but I see why they are saying what they are.)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, honestly, if you were brought up in a hostile environment, it filters into your writing. Were you brought up in a religious environment like I mentioned earlier? This was my experience directly: I felt like I had to "prove" my faith and would try to Te everything, get stuck in apologetic cycles, and generally feel shitty after awhile because it just was far too much detail and focus on external argument.

And this was in my WRITING.

It really gets in there and screws you up.

(Can you imagine trying to force Ti concepts through Te writing? You have to be extremely detailed... but you still have that 'web / big picture" thing going. So there's no end to the detail you need... and realistically there is also no way to translate a mental model into 2d Te-style linear terms, although you try and try, so you always feel inadequate and like you're failing.
Wow, that explains a lot!
Hence it's incredibly stressful and mentally exhausting. Why I had to take a break from the endless religious debating!

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an ESTJ. WATCH OUT.