• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyped TypeCentral Members

cosmic royal

Phoenix Flame
MBTI Type
xNTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

tumblr_mbt89w4xtG1rc4xsyo1_500.gif

If everyone were mistyped, no one would be mistyped. :tongue:

Haven't thought of it from that perspective. Fair point :wink:

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So, [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION], ever considered Te-dom?

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
At times I wonder if maybe I'm an INFJ..

idk

MBTI Type
Idk
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Me because I still don't even know my type.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]
long time to speak, but I still don't see you as a 6 at all. yes, you are security oriented, but there is a lot more to 6 than just security. other core neuroses include (source: Character and Neuroses by Claudio Naranjo)

Over-alert Hyperintentionality

Closely related to anxiety but not identical to it is the hyper-alertness entailed by a suspicious and over-cautious disposition. Unlike the confident over-alertness of type III which orients itself to having “everything under control, “this is a hyper-vigilance that is on the lookout for hidden meanings, clues, and the unusual. Aside from constituting a state of chronic arousal in the service of interpreting (potentially dangerous) reality, it serves an excessive deliberation concerning what forothers would be a matter of spontaneous choice. I have borrowed Shapiro’s word “hyper-intentionality” for the extraordinarily rigid and tense directedness of behavior (of suspicious character) as well as for the exaggerated need to rely on rational choices.

Orientation to Authority and Ideals

What the aggressive, the dutiful, and the affectionate safety maneuvers have in common is their relevance to authority. We may say the fear of ennea-type VI was originally aroused by parental authority and the threat of punishment by the power-wielding parent—usually the father. Just as originally his fear led to sweetness, obedience or defiance (and usually ambivalence) toward his parents, now he continues to behave and feel the same in the face of others to whom he assignsauthority or towards whom he (consciously or unconsciously) becomes one.The pattern of “authoritarian aggression” and “authoritarian submission” noted by the authors of The Authoritarian Personality may be mentioned here: type VI manifests aggression towards those below and submission to those above in the authority hierarchy. Not only do they live in a hierarchical world: they both hate and love authority consciously (being, in spite of anxiety in the face of ambiguity, the most explicitly ambivalent of all character types).In addition to traits of submissiveness, the demand for obedience and love, hate and ambivalence toward authority, ennea-type VI exhibits, to a larger extent than any other, an idealization of authority figures—manifest either in individualized hero-worship, in a generalized attraction to the great and the strong or in an orientation to impersonal greatness, which causes some to over-mythologize life so as to indulge a passion for archetypal sublimity. This penchant for what is larger than life seems not only to underlie a divinization/ demonization of the ordinary (observed by Jung in connection with the introverted thinking type) and the perceived sublimity of ideals of fanatics, but is a characteristic of ennea-type VI people in general, who in view of this may be described as “idealistic.”

Accusation of Self and Others

Guilt is as prominent in ennea-type VI character as in types IV and V, only that in type VI the mechanism of guilt production goes hand-in-hand with a prominent mechanism of exculpation through projection and the creation of outer enemies. It is not only anxiety, but guilt, we may say, that seeks to be alleviated through ingratiation, through dutiful appeasement of potential accusers, through submission to personal or intellectual authorities, or through an assertive bluffing behind which the individual hides his weaknesses and imperfections. In usurpation of parental authority and becomingan authority, just as in placating authority, the individual acts not only self-protectively but blame-avoidantly.We may say that guilt manifested in such traits as defensiveness, self-justification, and insecurity, involves an act of self-accusation, by which an individual becomes an invalidating parent to himself. It is in this act of self-opposition through which an individual becomes his or her own enemy, that I see the fixation proper of type VI, i.e., the cognitive defect that developed as a consequence of fear and has ended by becoming its root. Accusation is not only a type VI characteristic in regard to self, but also to others—perhaps through the operation of projection in the service of avoiding the torment of too much guilt. Not only does ennea-type VI persecute himself and feel persecuted, but also he is a suspicious and critical persecutor—and he may affirm his grandiosity precisely in view of the entitlement that it affords to pronounce judgment on others.

more on defense mechanisms
The close association between paranoid functioning and projection is so well established that Shapiro observes: “the mental operation or mechanism is so central to our understanding of paranoid pathology and symptoms that it has almost come to define what is called paranoid in psychiatry.”Though “projection” is a word that has been used with a variety of meanings, that which is appropriate in this context is that of attributing to others motives, feelings, or thoughts not acknowledged in oneself. In some cases (“super-ego projection”) it is self-accusation that is disowned, through the implicit pretense that punitive ill-will comes from an outer source (as is most striking in the persecutory delusions of psychotics). The sense of being watched, judged, and so on that is part of type VI suspiciousness can also be interpreted in terms of externalization: the mechanism of transferring an intra-personal event to an inter-personal relationship. In other instances, (“projection of the Id”) it is the person’s unaccepted impulses that are disowned and attributed to others, so that self-condemnation becomes the accusation of another.In either case, projection may be understood as a mental operation aimed at self-exculpation or blame-avoidance, and thus something in the nature of an escape valve for excessive guilt. The generation of such guilt—which I am proposing to regard the core of type VI psychology—may be understood in relation to the defense mechanism known as “identification with the aggressor.”The psyche of the coward is that which best embodies the meaning of “diabolus,” the devil: the adversary, the enemy. We may say that the ennea-type VI individual once sought to placate his enemies through becoming an enemy to himself. It is as if he thought to himself that it is prudent to adopt a self-accusing attitude, since in that way he will not run into trouble with authority. Self-accusation typically sees monstrosity where there is only nature, and to the extent that fear is part of the universal neurosis, we carry within us a Freudian Id filled with hostility and destructiveness. This imagining of monstrosity where there is potential spontaneity and the wisdom of the organism not only leads to self-inhibition, but is complicated by the fact that inhibition perpetuates the situation of not knowing oneself, which in turn makes the individual vulnerable to self-vilification.

additionally, Sexual 6 is an incredibly aggressive, reactive and defensive type. you are consistently calm, pretty much never lose your shit and lack the bravado and neuroticism of cp6.

if you think you have a strong 6 component, maybe 5w6 Sx/Sp (could also see 1w9 or 3w4 as possibilities)?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]
long time to speak, but I still don't see you as a 6 at all. yes, you are security oriented, but there is a lot more to 6 than just security. other core neuroses include (source: Character and Neuroses by Claudio Naranjo)

more on defense mechanisms

additionally, Sexual 6 is an incredibly aggressive, reactive and defensive type. you are consistently calm, pretty much never lose your shit and lack the bravado and neuroticism of cp6.

if you think you have a strong 6 component, maybe 5w6 Sx/Sp (could also see 1w9 or 3w4 as possibilities)?

The lions share of 6s are SJs. An INTJ 6 might look a bit different than the norm.

I wasn't sure about my type and so I was professionally typed by Katherine Chernick Fauvre in a one hour session (in addition to taking the tests). My previous test results had tended to come out as 8. A couple members here questioned that which is what drove me to find a definitive answer. I do have some attributes of 3. 5 and 1 don't fit me at all. I do actually think 6 fits. People don't see it here that much but I can actually be all three of those things you mentioned (reactive, aggressive and at times defensive).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The lions share of 6s are SJs. An INTJ 6 might look a bit different than the norm.

I wasn't sure about my type and so I was professionally typed by Katherine Chernick Fauvre in a one hour session (in addition to taking the tests). My previous test results had tended to come out as 8. A couple members here questioned that which is what drove me to find a definitive answer. I do have some attributes of 3. 5 and 1 don't fit me at all. I do actually think 6 fits. People don't see it here that much but I can actually be all three of those things you mentioned (reactive, aggressive and at times defensive).

interesting. the Fauvres and I have differing views on a lot of type related issues, but I can't argue with a professional typing.

that said, when I think INTJ 6, I think more "conspiracy theorist". even as an INTJ, you are insanely calm for a cp6 lol

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
interesting. the Fauvres and I have differing views on a lot of type related issues, but I can't argue with a professional typing.

that said, when I think INTJ 6, I think more "conspiracy theorist". even as an INTJ, you are insanely calm for a cp6 lol

Highlander is a.) a middle aged man of some maturity and b.) owns the forum so I'm guessing the threat we little people pose to him is small enough that he's not gonna go around reacting all over the place. :alttongue:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do I really seem FeNi?
I have the same problem with your MBTI that I had with [MENTION=22264]Bush Did 9/11[/MENTION]'s MBTI way back when (when I seriously mistyped him). Both of you seem so damn 3 that I have a hard time seeing anything else.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have the same problem with your MBTI that I had with [MENTION=22264]Bush Did 9/11[/MENTION]'s MBTI way back when (when I seriously mistyped him). Both of you seem so damn 3 that I have a hard time seeing anything else.
You know, being a 3 can be such a liability. I was just thinking about it this morning, and every single time, and I mean every single time, I get so frustrated and give up. It's like, I don't even know myself.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Buckle up kids, it's time I actually defend my 6 typing since like everyone wants to think I'm a 9 core since I had that listed for so long.

Misidentifying Sixes and Nines
These types are actually frequent mistyped. Sixes and Nines are both concerned with security and with maintaining some kind of status quo situation. They are both family-oriented, and both tend to take modest views of themselves. Their affect, however, is the easiest way to distinguish them.

In short, Nines like to remain easy-going and unflappable. Nines work steadily at their tasks, but show little sign of being upset by the day’s ups and downs. Sixes, on the other hand, cannot easily disguise their feelings. They get more easily worked-up and rattled by mishaps. While Nines can remain silent within their own inner peace, Sixes need to vent with others periodically to discharge their fears and doubts. Sixes are more obviously nervous and defensive when they believe there are problems. Nines remain strangely bland in the face of problems, although beneath the pleasant surface of average Nines, there is stubborn resistance and an unwillingness to be upset or troubled by conflicts or problems. Sixes tend to be suspicious of unknown people and situations–they need to test people before they let them get close. Nines may be protected by the disengagement of their attention, but they tend to be trusting of others–almost to a fault.

My mood is incredibly susceptible to whatever is going on moment to moment and I have a very hard time hiding my emotions and am more expressive than I like to think I am. I become incredibly negative and stubborn whenever dealing with a problem and need to vent to others; this is why my old blog is such a clusterfuck (6 plus my 4w3 fix).

All of the bolded is so, so true for me. Everything I've crossed out is so incredibly untrue for me.

Unless you've had the (unfortunate) opportunity to experience what I'm like during both times of trouble and how I am regularly on the forum (where I tend to be lighter and fluffier), I can easily see how people would see me as a core 9. After all, I'm rather phlegmatic, chill, "everyone just be cool." And I definitely do have a 9 fix and it's rather strong, but everyone who knows me well on a personal level insists that I'm a 6 core for many reasons, some of which overlap with the above.

When facing problems, a 9 will dissociate from them and convince themselves that everything's fine and there really is no problem. I, on the other hand, am totally overtaken by anxiety and go into panic mode. There's no way I can try to pretend a problem just doesn't exist.

Do I have a 9 in my tritype? ya. Is it pretty strong? ya. Is it my core? I don't actually think so. I used to. God I'd rather be a 9 than a 6. Even healthy 6 descriptions sound stressful.

I have also never seen a single piece of writing that describes me with nearly as much accuracy as this: https://oceanmoonshine9.wordpress.com/sixes/
Literally the entire thing.

Being FeNe and having a 7 wing on my core gives me this sort of lightness and fluffiness that people are associating with 9. I don't consciously act different on the forum than I do in any other area of my life where I'm socializing and feel comfortable and safe doing so, but once you really start digging into me and the way I think and act it's pretty hard not to see the 6 core.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nines
Enneatype Nine

Type Description

People of enneatype Nine are essentially looking to maintain a sense of peace, harmony and balance and to avoid conflict and disruption. Nines tend to see the best in people, to be fundamentally optimistic about the future, and, when reasonably healthy, to have a calming and grounding effect on those around them. As a general rule, Nines are fairly “easy going;” they adopt a strategy of “going with the flow.” They intuitively know how to wait for the openings so that they can slip effortlessly into the stream. Nines don’t tend to “sweat the small stuff.” On the whole, they are self-effacing, tolerant, even-tempered and likable individuals. Nines aspire to be supportive, loving and gentle and more than any other enneatype, are likely to embody these valuable qualities. Given such a portrait, it might seem difficult to understand what is so problematic about the type Nine fixation. <-- :dry:

The central problem for Nines revolves around the fact that their desire to maintain (INNER) peace and to avoid conflict is compulsive. As the potential for conflict in life is virtually ubiquitous, the Nine’s inability to confront it forcefully and deal with it effectively, leaves the Nine at a serious disadvantage when it comes to living a full, satisfying and honest life. This deeply rooted tendency to avoid discord plays itself out both internally and in the realm of external action, but generally manifests most centrally in close personal relationships, as intimate relationships more than anything else tend to trigger core defenses.

Many Nines are reasonably “successful” when it comes to their interactions with the world. They are frequently productive and often manage to rise through the ranks on the basis of their likability and reliability without having to engage too forcefully in direct competition. Thus, even in a capitalist economic system, many Nines manage to “succeed” while maintaining an attitude of forbearance and cooperation.

Nines are not necessarily without ambition either, something easily attested to by the sheer number of leaders who have had a type Nine fixation. Some such Nines are able to take on leadership roles because they wear their fixations lightly or because they are buoyed by the ambitions of others to whom they are attached. Perhaps they enjoy the benefits of a fortunate upbringing or perhaps their work on themselves has borne fruit. Sometimes Nines who take on leadership roles seem to be the living embodiment of a solution that has been offered to us from the depths of the collective unconscious. They represent the only possible answer to the exigencies of a time in which the forward path cannot be determined by aggressive self-assertion or even by clarity of intellect. Abraham Lincoln, perhaps the greatest of America’s presidents, could modestly state “I claim not to have controlled events, but confess plainly that events have controlled me.” Healthy Nines are in touch with their depths and are able to maintain their sense of self even in the face of the most forceful opposition or the most appalling conflict. Even as they rule, they serve those they lead.

Less healthy Nines who take on leadership roles however, tend to adopt a strategy of “muffling” from awareness the likely negative consequences of their actions. Often they surround themselves with like-minded others who reinforce their sense of security and who serve as a buffer from all forms of dissent, thus enabling the Nine to remain insulated. Most of the unhealthy Nine’s insulating buffers against reality, however, are actually internal to the psyche. A deeply entranced Nine simply dissociates from whatever is unpleasant or unpalatable, from whatever disturbs his preferred view of the world. Such comfortably numb Nines simply fail to process any information which would be a cause of discomfort or disturbance. About this phenomenon, Naranjo comments, “Not wanting to see, not wanting to be in touch with one’s experience is something akin to cognitive laziness, an eclipse of the experiencer or inner witnessing in the person.” Unhealthy Nines, even as they take on roles of leadership, which would seem to involve self-assertion, are often actually deeply entrenched in a peculiar form of self-abnegation. Hence we encounter the portrait of the “nice guy,” the one who is affable to even the lowliest employee. He has a ready smile and a genial manner. He means no one any harm. But he has just busted the union, slashed the benefits to the school lunch program, or authorized the bombing of Iraq. He heads for his private sanctuary; he mindlessly kisses his wife; he watches the TV. He sleeps well. His conscience is clear. He never assumes any responsibility for the evil he has wrought.

It is an almost universal rule that those leaders who rise to power in spite of, or even by virtue of their unconsciousness, have managed to do so because they have unwittingly embodied and reflected back the irresponsibility and lack of consciousness of those who brought them to power. About such rulers, it would be fair to say that, even as they rule, they follow those they lead.

While the above may seem something of an exaggerated portrait, exaggerations often serve to illustrate key points. Virtually all Nines tend to see what they wish to see, to idealize those whom they love and to ignore whatever would disturb their comfort and peace of mind. These tendencies are not left behind until a Nine is truly healthy. The problem with this approach, of course, is that problems do not cease to exist, simply because the Nine ignores them. They have consequences, often deleterious one, both for the Nine and for those in the Nine’s life.

While some Nines do assume positions of leadership, most Nines are not especially ambitious. They pay their dues to the world but essentially prefer to withdraw from it. They are “home bodies” who are generally devoted to their families, especially to their children. They enjoy their hobbies and appreciate some time to themselves. They generally value simplicity and cultivate the virtue of patience. They are frequently creative in a modest and unassuming way. They adopt an attitude of acceptance towards life. They don’t ask for too much; sometimes they ask for too little. At a very deep level, at a level which seldom breaks through to conscious awareness, most Nines simply feel that they don’t deserve too much. Nines would do well to develop a certain kind of healthy selfishness, as many of their difficulties turn on the fact that they are too selfless. (The opposite)

As mentioned above, the Nine’s core issues tend to manifest most profoundly in the context of intimate relationships. It is here that the Nine’s need to avoid conflict bears its most obvious fruit. Many Nines seem to find it excruciatingly difficult to assert themselves against those they love, even when it comes to trivial matters. They would rather defer to their partner than assert their own preferences. Their preference is not very strong, they reason, whereas the partner is willing to put up a fight. It seems only reasonable to “give in.” In that manner, the Nine gets to avoid the unpleasantness of a conflict and vicariously enjoy the pleasure that the partner feels. Nines tend to merge with their partners and to empathetically take on the partner’s feelings and desires. This naturally makes it difficult for the Nine to cause hurt or frustration to those they love. On any individual occasion, this policy of appeasement might indeed be reasonable, but as a general policy it does not bode well for either the Nine or the partner of the Nine.

The problems generated from this policy follow a few predictable patterns. The Nine’s partner might actually begin to resent the passivity of the Nine. It can be difficult to respect someone who will not defend boundaries, who will not take a well defined position. Other individuals gladly accept the willingness of the Nine to adopt their agenda and become overtly dominating and, in some cases, even abusive. (No, this is exactly what I will ward against with even my dying breaths) The Nine might even appear to accept such aggressions against them, although resentment invariably builds beneath the calm and placid surface. Nine’s have a difficult time accessing their anger, as anger is the emotion which, in its pure form, signals to us that one of our boundaries has been violated. As Nines tend to have a diffuse sense of their boundaries, they tend also to fall asleep to their anger. The anger exists however and will manifest itself, perhaps in passive-aggressive foot dragging or “checking out” from important engagements. For some Nines, unprocessed anger manifests itself through the development of psychosomatic illnesses. Other Nines experience instances in which pent up anger expresses itself inappropriately and unexpectedly with such a fury that it shocks those on the receiving end. All of these manifestations of anger are naturally a good deal more harmful to the Nine and to the Nine’s relationships than expressing it in a way which is appropriate to the needs of the situation. The ability of a Nine to acknowledge anger and recognize and deal with its causes is a pretty good measure of the Nine’s general level of health.

The really crucial problem for type Nine individuals is that they tend to have an inadequate sense of self. This leads to a tendency on the part of Nines to both downplay their own significance and to borrow a sense of significance from others. There is, in fact, a sort of paradox at the heart of the type Nine fixation. At a largely subconscious level, Nines intuitively grasp that the constructed personality, the personality with which most of us identify, is not the true self; it is not who they are. This is, in fact, a very deep truth; the constructed personality is simply that – a construct through which consciousness operates, much of it built out of defenses and reactions to dangers which are no longer present; it is, in a sense, both a limitation and an obscuration. But the constructed personality also serves a necessary function; it gives the individual a base from which to operate, a sense of self, however ultimately flawed and partial. While the constructed self is not ultimately who we are, it is a necessary step towards the development of true individuality. Gurdjieff has this to say: “For inner growth, for work on oneself, a certain development of personality, as well as a certain strength of essence are required. An insufficiently developed personality means that…a man cannot begin to work on himself, he cannot begin to study himself, he cannot begin to struggle with his mechanical habits.”

Without a well developed personality, without a firm sense of self and adequately defined boundaries, the Nine is left in a state of permeability to forces both outside the ego and to those subterranean forces that reside beneath it. Understanding this essential porousness of the ego of enneatype Nine is absolutely essential to an understanding of all of the basic manifestations of the Nine’s specific problems and challenges. It is the difficulty that type Nine individuals have in addressing this core issue which is called in the traditional enneagram, the vice of indolence. As already indicated, indolence does not here refer to laziness in the traditional sense, although it can manifest in that manner in some individuals, but to the lack of attention to the most important matter at hand, the lack of attention to what constitutes true work, i.e. the development of a solid sense of self from which the Nine can be truly effective in the world.

According to the teachings of the traditional enneagram, the essential virtue of each type appears when the fixation or vice weakens. Oscar Ichazo, the father of the modern Enneagram, indicated that the virtue of type Nine was what he called “Holy Love.” Nines, even at average levels of health, tend to be kind, compassionate and tolerant individuals; their personalities dimly sense and partially embody the nature of their type specific virtue. True love does involve openness to others and permeability of ego boundaries; it does involve acceptance and forgiveness; it does involve a sense of the interconnectedness of all things, just as Nines have known all along. Like all of the fixations, the type Nine fixation can be viewed as a sort of failed short cut; it can be viewed as the personality’s flawed attempt to achieve the true virtue. As type Nine individuals learn to love and honor their own integrity, they are able to extend that love to others in a truly effective and beneficial manner. As they heal themselves, they heal their relationships with others and actively work towards healing the wounds of our ailing planet. Nines are sometimes called “the peacemakers” but they are not really worthy of that name until they leave behind the idea that peace is synonomous with the absence of conflict. Making peace requires the Nine to develop a truly active nature, the nature that Nines are able to manifest when they shed the passivity associated with their fixation.

Nines with a One wing tend to be more cerebral and imaginative than those with an Eight wing. They typically withdraw under stress more than those with an Eight wing. They sometimes find it difficult to ground themselves. They tend to lose focus and can get lost in worlds of their imagination. Nines with an Eight wing are overall more grounded and assertive. They tend also to be more sociable than those with a One wing. Nines with a One wing are more theoretical; those with an Eight wing more practical.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7

Thank you for this. This is really insightful and helps clear up some of the stereotypes, at least in my my mind.